Author Topic: Obama vs Romney  (Read 70692 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Obama vs Romney
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
the personalities and lies they tell doesn't affect us - the LEGISLATION does.

Obama hasn't signed an assault weapons ban. 
Yeah, its just the legislation, it has nothing to do with the groundwork put in so someone down the road can capitalize on it.  ::)
Dont think for a minute that just cause Obama hasnt signed an "anti-gun law", that he isnt doing everything in his power to diminish your right to own firearms. Just look at the way they tried to spin FF.
Just look at the people he appointed to his admin. All highly anti-gun. You dont appoint people with those views because they disagree with yours, especially not Obama who cant stand anybody disagreeing with his awesomeness.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
Yeah, its just the legislation, it has nothing to do with the groundwork put in so someone down the road can capitalize on it.  ::)
Dont think for a minute that just cause Obama hasnt signed an "anti-gun law", that he isnt doing everything in his power to diminish your right to own firearms. Just look at the way they tried to spin FF.
Just look at the people he appointed to his admin. All highly anti-gun. You dont appoint people with those views because they disagree with yours, especially not Obama who cant stand anybody disagreeing with his awesomeness.

240 has sold his soul to defend obama for reasons one can never really know, same as all the other idiots and morons. 

Obama has not done a fucking single thing to deserve the loyalty and cult worship he receives from idiots like blackass, andre, 240, straw, et al. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »

240 has sold his soul to defend obama for reasons one can never really know, same as all the other idiots and morons

Obama has not done a fucking single thing to deserve the loyalty and cult worship he receives from idiots like blackass, andre, 240, straw, et al. 
I think its pretty clear why he defends him so vehemtly. All you have to do is look at his points directly post-election where he was praising the internet generation for changing the destiny of America by personally ensuring the right candidate got elected (or some BS like that, cant remember exactly, but he was tooting his own horn in getting Obama elected pretty hard).

He made such a big deal about Obama getting elected. Probably doesnt want to admit he helped the worst POTUS since Carter get elected, and that he bragged about it on top of that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
I think its pretty clear why he defends him so vehemtly. All you have to do is look at his points directly post-election where he was praising the internet generation for changing the destiny of America by personally ensuring the right candidate got elected (or some BS like that, cant remember exactly, but he was tooting his own horn in getting Obama elected pretty hard).

He made such a big deal about Obama getting elected. Probably doesnt want to admit he helped the worst POTUS since Carter get elected, and that he bragged about it on top of that.

They dont care!!!   To these pieces of shit - the more damage obama does to the country - the better! 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »
I think I'm gonna vote for Romney... Fuck it.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
I think I'm gonna vote for Romney... Fuck it.
Terrifying isnt it?
What really makes me mad is that all I ever here about is "dog eating, "dog on rood", "war on women (on both sides)", and stupid rhetoric - trying to figure out Romneys actual stance on the issues is somewhat frustrating.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
Terrifying isnt it?
What really makes me mad is that all I ever here about is "dog eating, "dog on rood", "war on women (on both sides)", and stupid rhetoric - trying to figure out Romneys actual stance on the issues is somewhat frustrating.

I am seriously crapping myself right now.

I have no idea what he actually has as far as anything goes... Plan? Ideas? Pfft... It's all a mystery.

Evil I know, or evil I don't know right?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »
I am seriously crapping myself right now.

I have no idea what he actually has as far as anything goes... Plan? Ideas? Pfft... It's all a mystery.

Evil I know, or evil I don't know right?
Exactly.
Only rationale I can come up with, is that we know what Obama is like. We know where his next 4 years is going (or worse). We know he doesnt repsect the checks and balances in our government, or the constitution, and supports taxing the fuck out the citizens to pay for his green energy bullshit and entitlement programs.
We also know he supports the UNs idea of global green taxes that would dispropotionatley tax the US, and therefor the logical conclusion is that he is ok with a foreign body collecting taxes on our country and citizens. (Which is the biggest thing for me - the whole purpose of the constitution was to make sure that no foreign power ever taxes the citizens of our country.)
Romney as least CLAIMS to be conservative, even if he's 1/100 more fiscally conservative than Obama it'd be better than the abortion of a 2nd term Obama has planned.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
Daily Presidential Tracking Poll (Romney 48% Obama 44%)
Rasmussen ^ | 4-24-12 | Rasmussen

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that Mitt Romney earns 48% of the vote, while President Obama attracts support from 44%. Four percent (4%) would vote for a third party candidate, while another 4% are undecided.

Matchup results are updated daily at 9:30 a.m. Eastern (sign up for free daily e-mail update). See tracking history.

As the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to hear the federal government’s challenge to Arizona’s immigration law, 59% of voters believe police officers should check the immigration status of those they stop for traffic violations. However, as Scott Rasmussen notes in a radio commentary, voter anger is not directed at the immigrants. It is directed at the federal government, employers and others who enable illegal immigration.

Most Americans believe the price of gas could reach $5 a gallon in the next few months. Forty-four percent (44%) believe government regulations are primarily to blame, while 32% point to speculators.

Three-out-of-four Americans (75%) would prefer the U.S. Postal Service cut mail delivery to five days a week rather than receive government subsidies to cover ongoing losses.

(Excerpt) Read more at rasmussenreports.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »
Running Without An Agenda For The Next Four years
Townhall.com ^ | April 25, 2012 | Donald Lambro

WASHINGTON - President Obama has officially begun his 2012 campaign, telling special interest groups what the government will do for them if he is re-elected to a second term.

But the question many people are asking is, what else is he running on besides government handouts? What's his second term agenda? What is he planning to do if he wins? He doesn't say.

There is no hint of a grand plan of action dealing with the mountain of unfinished problems he's left behind in the nation's capital as he piles up frequent flyer miles in hot pursuit of his singular goal: becoming a two term president.

His campaign rhetoric thus far gives us no clue that he intends to address the big problems that still need to be fixed. He knows what they are, because polls tell us what America's primary concerns are: a lackluster, slow-growth, sub-par economy, far too few jobs; a monster $1.2 trillion budget deficit, the fourth of his big spending presidency, and a $16 trillion debt by the end of this year.

But Obama isn't talking about a mediocre economy that appears to be slowing down -- again.

And he isn't talking about jobs, or bemoaning the fact that many college grads -- who this week he promised an extension of low interest student loans -- can't find a job that will allow them to pay back the government.

As for the student loan extension Obama is pushing on the campaign trail, it's interesting to note that in 2007 then-Sen. Obama missed two pivotal Senate votes on the bill that created the program.

He's embracing it now because he needs the support of younger voters to save his presidency, but he did not vote for the original bill or on final passage, and didn't bother to sign on as a co- sponsor, according to a report Tuesday by Politico.

This week he was speaking at universities in North Carolina, Colorado and Iowa to champion extending the loan program. Maybe a student will ask him why he didn't take the time to vote for it in the first place?

But let's not trifle over small matters. He was too busy running for president in 2007 to be bothered with student loans and fulfilling his job as a senator for which he was paid $174,000 a year. Let's move on to other matters.

How about more than $5.3 trillion in four consecutive budget deficits. What deficits? The national debt? What debt? No one cares about those issues, do they?

But when the Gallup poll asked voters "what would you say worries you most about the national economy at this time?" the second most frequent response (after jobs and unemployment) was the national debt and the deficit.

Obama is dead silent on both issues, despite millions of worried Americans who fear we're plunging into a black hole of European-style debt that will engulf out economy.

Also missing from his stump speech is any mention of $4-plus gas prices that are cleaning out consumer wallets and crushing struggling small business -- and what he intends to do about it.

He could have begun by approving the Keystone XL pipeline that would have pumped enough oil down to the Gulf to drive down oil and gas prices.

Obama, who put the environmental lobby ahead of jobs, household budgets and businesses, killed the oil deal that would have created 20,000 jobs -- 13,000 in construction and 7,000 in manufacturing.

The Washington Post's economics columnist Robert J. Samuelson called his decision "an act of national insanity."

But that's yesterday's news and you won't hear the president mentioning it in his campaign speeches any time soon.

He's much too busy dividing the country, playing class warfare and bitterly attacking Mitt Romney's success, saying, "I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth."

Social Security's board of trustees may have had the president in mind when they released a grim report on Tuesday that said its trust fund will be depleted by 2033 -- three years earlier than forecast.

"Never since the 1983 reforms have we come as close to the point of trust fund depletion as we are right now," warned Charles Blahous, one of the trustees for Social Security and Medicare.

Both programs are facing enormous fiscal challenges before millions of baby boomers are due to sign up for the programs in the coming decade.

Does the president have a financial reform plan to save these programs from impending collapse? No, he's too busy attacking a House Republican plan to keep Medicare solvent, and appears content for the time being to ignore Social Security's problems to our own peril.

Don't expect Obama to address either program in this election in any substantive way. You get more votes by attacking those who warn that both are headed toward a fiscal cliff.

And then there's the issue of reckless, irresponsible, government spending and the critical need to reform and restructure what the government does and how it spends money.

Annual federal spending is fast approaching $4 trillion a year, fueled by an ocean of waste, fraud, abuse and untold duplication. But the only reform Obama has put forward is to make government bigger and more costly than ever.

The General Services Administration's $823,000 Las Vegas party scandal is the tip of the iceberg. "Every time we turned over a stone, we found 50 more with all kinds of things crawling out," GSA Inspector General Brian Miller told a House investigating committee.

The Government Accountability Office, Congress's spending watchdog, says there is at least $200 billion a year in program duplication throughout the government.

Romney has suggested a top-to-bottom overhaul of the government, eliminating needless programs, merging departments, cutting payrolls, saving hundreds of billions of tax dollars.

But this is an issue about which Obama has nothing to say. He's into spending, not savings.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »
Terrifying isnt it?

romney gave an obama 2008 speech yesterday.

did nothing but talk about why obama sucks (in detail)
but his own offerings were vague at best.

It's easy to say "why not" on obama.  It's tougher to say "why" on romney without him getting into detail - but one he doesn't he starts alienating potential voters.

I mean, it's easy to say "i'mma trim govt pork spending!" but when you list the 50 programs you'll cut, suddenly you have 2 million people voting against you to keep their jobs.  When romney says "i'm gonna cut the dept of education", it's easy to impress far-right voters who auto-vote repub anyway.  But what about the people who work for the dept of education?  I dont care if they hate obama, they'll vote for him just to keep their jobs lol.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
April 25, 2012
Obama Wins Close or Loses Big
By J. Robert Smith

President Barack Obama: narrow winner or big loser in November.  Presidential election history gives us indications that Mr. Obama either squeaks back into the White House or gets an undignified boot in the back of his designer trousers.  In modern presidential elections, only Jerry Ford lost his re-election bid narrowly.  Odds are, if Mr. Obama loses, it will probably be on the order of Hoover (1932) or Carter (1980).

If Mr. Obama wins, it's closer to George W. Bush's re-election in 2004.  But the conditions are dramatically different in the country from 2004, and not to Mr. Obama's advantage.   

A narrow win by Mr. Obama would be thanks to bungling by Mitt Romney and the Republicans, because based on the president's record alone, Mr. Obama has richly earned a pink slip from voters.

The Obama presidency is a big, fat failure, despite all the spin emanating from the White House, Democrat flaks, and the left's petting-zoo media.  Americans are living Mr. Obama's economic failure daily; their dreary experiences (or those of family and neighbors) cut right through the liberal-manufactured smoke and fog.  Campaigns of distraction distract only monetarily.   

Incumbents are always about their performances, their records.  A politician up for re-election is a referendum-in-the-making; an up or down vote by the electorate.  That's the core strategic consideration of Romney's General Election campaign.

In a referendum election, all Mr. Romney has to do is satisfy voters that he's competent, advocates sensible remedies to the nation's economic dilemma, and plans to stop Uncle Sam's profligate spending and not raise taxes.  Romney is well-suited to accomplish all three aims.  Romney's character hasn't been an issue through a grueling intraparty vetting; it shouldn't be one in the General Election, despite anticipated efforts by Mr. Obama's team and the left to do so.       

The heavy lift for Challenger Romney is keeping voters focused on Mr. Obama's dreadful policies.  President Obama will be throwing an estimated $1 billion against Mr. Romney.  Democrat and liberal allied groups and super PACs will drop some serious ching into the presidential election, too.  That's daunting, but can be overcome.  Losing incumbents and their allies tend to have the money edge in re-election contests.   

Romney needs to underscore Mr. Obama's policy failures with the fact that the president is a committed left-winger, which contradicts Mr. Obama's stated moderation in 2008.  Doing so bypasses Mr. Obama's likeability by damning the president with his own words and actions.  Mr. Obama's immoderation is the central reason for the ObamaCare fiasco and a floundering economy.   

Romney raising questions about Mr. Obama's inability to deliver on promises, his economic policies, his false moderation, and his evasion of constitutional checks and balances dovetails nicely with the argument that Barack Obama, lame duck, will prove more reckless and more ineffective, driving the economy further down, which spells grave trouble for the nation.   

A president's likeability is much overrated.  Hoover may have been unliked, but the same can't be said about incumbent losers Ford, Carter, and George H. Bush.  Those presidents lost their re-elections because voters perceived them as unsuccessful in their jobs.  Most voters would have gladly sat down over beers with any of those three men.

This opinion from veteran elections analyst Charlie Cook:

Some analysts mistakenly think that personal feelings and favorability ratings are the same as job-approval ratings. Although it is always better for a candidate to be liked than disliked, for an incumbent the perception of performance and effectiveness matters far more than likability. Voters didn't turn sour on President Ford in 1976; they just voted for change. Independent voters like President Obama, but the question is whether they think he has done a good job.

Indeed, Barack Obama is liked, according to polling.  When push comes to shove, though, when it's about voters' jobs, homes, and financial security, likability takes a distant second place.  Likeable employees are fired every day for nonperformance; they may get better severances, but off they go.  Voters have historically proven to be tough employers.           

National polling at this stage in the election game is interesting in that it tends to show Mr. Obama and Mitt Romney in a tight race.  If Mr. Obama were cooking with gas, he'd enjoy much wider margins nationally among likely voters.  Close indicates serious trouble ahead for Mr. Obama.

But national polls are chimeras, finally.  Presidents are elected state-by-state.  Come September, it's the state polls of likely voters that matters.  Reapportionment has shifted critical electoral votes to red states, favoring Romney.  Taking the states of Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida are keys to a Romney victory (presuming he retains McCain's states from 2008, as well he should).

If voters are truly sour on the president, then other states like Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and New Mexico may well be in play after Labor Day.  Indiana is already expected to swing back into the GOP column.

After Labor Day, if momentum breaks Romney's way, anticipate that he will carry independent and undecided voters in the aforementioned states.  Once the tide starts shifting against an incumbent, it tends to move hugely.

Look at FDR's landslide victory in 1932 against the beleaguered Herbert Hoover.  Roosevelt ran a campaign highlighting Hoover's failures.  Contrary to the conventional wisdom, FDR didn't run on a bold progressive platform; a chief focus was on balancing the federal budget.

In 1980, Ronald Reagan wrapped the misery index around Jimmy Carter's neck (that and his diffident handling of the Iranian hostage crisis).  Still, Carter led in the polls most of the way.  But in the autumn, when voters really started to concentrate on Carter's feeble record, and decided that Reagan was no wild-eyed radical, the dam broke and Carter was swept from office.                         

Successful presidents don't run "Campaigns of Distraction."  President Barack Obama, whose economic stimuli failed to stimulate the economy, but instead lined the pockets of powerful Democrat constituencies, needs to distract.  A president -- the very same Barack Obama -- whose federal credit card spending has dug the nation into a cavernous debt hole needs distractions.

The president's signature legislative achievement, ObamaCare, never popular, now risks being overturned by the Supreme Court in late June.  If the Court overturns the individual mandate or the whole enchilada, the president and his fellow Democrats are relieved of the burden of having to defend so unworkable and freedom-depriving a program.

What the president isn't off the hook on is explaining to voters why he wasted valuable time and resources pursuing a colossal dud-of-a-government-run health care program at the very time the economy was sinking.  Expect Mt. McKinley-sized distractions if the Supreme Court rules against Mr. Obama's health care scheme.

This isn't to suggest complacency or smug self-assurance on the part of Republicans or conservatives... or Romney and his campaign.  History illuminates but doesn't dictate.  Run scared is the best advice for Mitt Romney.  To win in November, run scared and keep the focus relentlessly on Mr. Obama's magnificent failures.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/04/obama_wins_close_or_loses_big.html#ixzz1t59ZotGH

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »
Another Poll Of Independents Spells CATASTROPHE For Obama
Brett LoGiurato|Apr. 26, 2012, 11:28 AM|795|16

White House photo

This new Fox News poll shows a dead-heat between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, but there's an important underlier here that could be crucial as we move closer to the election in the fall.

Again, it's the Independents. Again, they are choosing Romney over Obama. But this time, there's a better measure of how concrete they are in their support of Romney over Obama.

Take a look at the following two questions from the Fox News poll. The question reads, "Which of the following best describes how you feel about voting for [Barack Obama or Mitt Romney] for president in November?"

This is Obama:

Fox News

This is Romney:

Fox News

Look at the Independent column. An astounding 54 percent of Independents would NEVER vote for Obama. That compares to just 37 percent for Romney. Also, more Independents (37 percent to 30 percent) would "definitely" vote for Romney.

This is all great news for Romney and bad news for Obama. As has been the trend, Independents trust him more on the issues they think are the most important in this election.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-independents-poll-catastrophe-2012-4#ixzz1tAkNHBJC

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
I really do think this is Romney's to lose, and Obama knows it. Why else is he engaging in this pathetic demagogic behavior
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
I really do think this is Romney's to lose, and Obama knows it. Why else is he engaging in this pathetic demagogic behavior

The funny thing to me is that you NEVEr hear obama ever talk about his record.  Every day its one bogus red herring after another. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »
Great ad.   FFFUUUBBBOOOO!!!!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:40 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2012, 05:36:54 AM »
This is is a home run. 

Even Morning Joke conceded this was devastating. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
Rasmussen poll in Florida shows Romney edging Obama 46/45
 Hotair ^ | 04/27/2012 | Ed Morrissey

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 11:07:19 AM by SeekAndFind

The election in November may come down to just three or four key states, and none of them as big as Florida. The diverse electorate and the high total of electoral votes make it a must-win for Mitt Romney and almost as important for Barack Obama, who won the state in 2008. Rasmussen’s latest Florida poll, out today, shows a virtual tie between the two, with Romney edging Obama by one point:

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in the Sunshine State finds Romney with 46% of the vote, while Obama earns 45% support. Six percent (6%) prefer some other candidate, and another three percent (3%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

In mid-March, the president held a three-point advantage over Romney, 46% to 43%. Obama led by a similar 47% to 44% margin inearly February.

Nationally, with Rick Santorum out of the Republican race and Newt Gingrich soon to quit, Romney has been running slightly ahead of the president in most daily matchups in recent weeks.

In case you’re wondering, the D/R/I of this sample is 33/33/35. In 2008, the turnout in Florida was 37/34/29 according to the CNN exit poll, but in the 2010 midterms, it was 36/36/29. In this case, Rasmussen might have slightly oversampled independents, but the relationship between Republicans and Democrats in this model looks sound.

That oversample might have helped Romney just a little, as he leads among independents 47/38, a bad sign for Obama’s chances in the Sunshine State. Obama has a wide lead among women at 55/37, but Romney has an even greater lead among men., 58/31, besting the gender gap total by nine points in the gaps. Obama wins the youth vote (18-39YOs) by only 12 points at 50/38, a surprisingly close score, while Romney wins majorities in the other two age demos, beating Obama by eight points among seniors, 52/44. Married votes support Romney 55/36, while singles back Obama 55/30. The income demos are mixed, with each candidate getting three of the six categories. Interestingly, Romney wins the under-$20K category by a wide margin, 53/40.

The rest of the poll shows bad news for Obama. Only 9% rate the economy as good, and no one calls it excellent. Fifty-two percent call it poor; 49% of independents think so, too. A narrow plurality of voters think the economy is getting worse than better, 43/37. A majority wants ObamaCare overturned, 50/35, and 59% oppose the individual mandate. Obama is slightly underwater on job approval 49/51.

However, his biggest problem in this poll is the topline number. After the bruising Republican primary, one might have thought that Obama’s re-elect number would have been much higher as the incumbent who rode above the fray. A 45% result at this stage isn’t a decisive indicator of losing the state, but it’s a bad result at this stage, with Romney just now starting to unite the GOP behind him.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2012, 04:17:23 AM »
What this thread needs is some more copy and paste.
G

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2012, 05:49:37 AM »

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2012, 05:59:32 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »

Email   Print   22Comments   Share
April 29, 2012
The Jacksonian-Jeffersonian Vote
By Salena Zito
SOUTH PARK, PA -- John Opfar sat in the front row of a short riser at Consol Energy's South Park R&D facility just before Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney took to a makeshift stage.

Opfar, 31, is a safety inspector at Bailey Mine, 40 miles south in Greene County, in what can only be described as an engineering marvel -- the country's largest underground coal mine.

He said he likes what he hears from Romney, doesn't think Romney is at all like the descriptions in most press accounts, and cannot wait to vote for him: "He talks about what is best for the region and what is best for the country, growing our economy and creating jobs.

"That's all I need to hear."

By all accounts, this Western Pennsylvania coal miner (who could be on the cover of a Ralph Lauren catalog despite his hardhat, safety glasses and beige jumpsuit) should be supporting Barack Obama.

In spite of his working-class roots, Opfar said "that is not happening."

Two hours later, Romney was across the state in the cavernous warehouse of Stephanie "Sam" Fleetman's Chester County trucking company. Kimberly Wise, Fleetman's executive vice president, said her boss started Mustang Expediting in her parent's attic with a single phone line and, over three decades, grew it to more than 40 employees.

Wise has worked at the trucking company for 24 years. She's voted for presidential candidates of both parties but, after Romney's visit, said she is "absolutely" voting for him.

Most of the media coverage of the Fleetman event centered on whether Romney will pick U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio as his running mate after the Florida freshman joined him for a town-hall meeting in nearby Aston.

The real story, however, was the large number of women attending the event and the crowd's enthusiasm.

Romney spent time in Pennsylvania to plug holes in his demographic support: In the west, he pitched working-class Democrats and independents; in the east, he made an economic case to women, younger voters, Rockefeller Republicans and disenchanted Democrats who voted for Obama in 2008.

With Rubio, he reached out not only to Hispanics but to tea party supporters (by promoting a restoration of the American dream) and to students at Delaware County's many colleges (by saying that having half of new college graduates unemployed or underemployed is "unacceptable").

The Jacksonian-Jeffersonian voters who will swing this election in key battleground states are especially plentiful in the Keystone State and are most dissatisfied with the president's performance.

Pennsylvania tends to be a great tease for Republicans in general elections; 1988 was the last time a GOP presidential candidate won the state. Yet, because Pennsylvania is four points more Democrat than Ohio, Florida or Nevada, a close race here means those other states have left Obama.

"That is a problem," conceded Dane Strother, a Democrat strategist. "Romney sees opportunity in Pennsylvania and he is not shy about going for it."

Strother said coal country is a good story for Romney to tell and he is "absolutely" working to fill the gaps with voters of all denominations across the state.

"Look, he is not a dumb guy," Strother explained. "He knows he might not win Pennsylvania but playing there is smart. And if he can tighten the margins there, the president is in trouble."

The latest poll by Purple Strategies, conducted in 12 states that will make or break this race electorally, shows a swift tightening in those key battlegrounds, with Romney making remarkable gains on Obama in a very short time.

An interesting juxtaposition in the data shows Americans want to be optimistic (the trend line on the economy is better and people tend to think the country's best days are ahead) but they are staring reality in the face (jobs are hard to find, children won't do as well in the future), so they feel pessimistic.

Obama will blame it all on George Bush, the GOP and "fat cat" somethings, and will claim he is helping; Romney will blame it all on Democrats and Obama. Both will try to wear the "leadership for a better future" mantle.

Whichever campaign is more successful at fixing the blame, at owning the future, will probably win. 

Salena Zito is a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review editorial page columnist. E-mail her at szito@tribweb.com
   Email         Print      22Comments       Share

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »
Nine horrendous Obama decisions Mitt Romney would never have made
Cain's Solutions Revolution ^ | April 30, 2012 | Herman Cain
Posted on April 30, 2012 1:08:43 PM EDT by sthguard

As we move into the general election campaign, with Mitt Romney facing Barack Obama in the presidential race, it’s important not to lose perspective on the very real differences between the two. That starts with the recognition that Obama has made some astonishingly ill-conceived decisions as president, and that Romney would never have done these things.

During a party’s nominating process for president – of which I was a part on the Republican side in this cycle – candidates do everything they can to differentiate themselves from each other. As the candidates focus on these differences and the media plays up the resulting conflicts, you could almost get the impression that some of us would have preferred Obama to some of our fellow Republicans.

Please!

Not only do I prefer Romney over Obama, it’s not even close. This is not to say that every proposed policy of Romney’s is exactly what I would propose. But in stepping back and looking at the big picture, you have to recognize that the next president’s task will be to fix enormous problems. You would want the new president, above all else, to be someone who would never have been so foolish as to make the decisions that a) created the problems; or b) made them worse.

Here are nine examples:

Mitt Romney would never have thrown $862 billion down a rat hole, claiming it to be “economic stimulus” that would keep unemployment from rising above 8 percent. Then, three years later when unemployment was still struggling to get back down below 8 percent, he would never be so brazen as to claim such a move had actually been successful.

Mitt Romney would never have signed ObamaCare into law. I know some think otherwise because the plan he implemented as governor of Massachusetts had some similar elements. But ObamaCare was sold to the public with blatantly dishonest numbers and hidden taxes, and rammed through Congress via a series of political giveaways that would embarrass the most shameless of con artists. Whatever your disagreements with the structure of MassCare, Romney would never have done any of that. And if an ObamaCare repeal reaches Romney’s desk, he will sign it.

Mitt Romney would never have exploded the deficit to more than $1 trillion a year, then allowed his Treasury Secretary tell the chairman of the House Budget Committee, regarding plans to fix the problem, “We don’t have a definitive solution, but we know we don’t like yours.”

Mitt Romney would not be running around claiming that businesses need to pay more in taxes. He would not try to tell CEOs what to do with their cash reserves (although he could do so much more competently than Obama, since unlike the president he actually knows a lot about business), because he knows that is not the president’s job. He understands that businesses are the ones who create jobs, and the last thing we need when the economy is struggling to create jobs is to increase the tax burden on businesses.

Mitt Romney would not attack people for being successful. He would not encourage the middle class to resent successful people, but instead would encourage them to learn from those who have been successful, and to seek opportunities from them.

Mitt Romney would never have promised the Russians he would give them what they want on missile defense as soon as he didn’t have to worry about those pesky voters anymore.

Mitt Romney would never have stonewalled efforts to make crucial energy supplies available to Americans, as Obama has done on everything from the Keystone XL pipeline to the opening of domestic oil supplies in offshore locations and in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Mitt Romney would never have let Congress get away with not passing a budget at all for three years, while running up the nation’s credit card at unprecedented levels through a series of continuing resolutions that escape the light of public scrutiny.

Mitt Romney would never have blamed someone else for the continued impact of problems he was elected to fix – as Obama does endlessly.

This list could go on, but these nine are the some of the biggest things – and the big things matter most of all. Everyone involved with a primary campaign hopes their party will nominate the absolute perfect candidate, and when your guy doesn’t make it (or for some of us like me, when you don’t make it), you can fall into thinking that all is lost. There are actually people running around saying there is no difference between Romney and Obama.

People. Get a grip. The differences are huge. And it starts with understanding how many truly horrendous decisions Barack Obama has made since he took office, and recognizing that Mitt Romney is a man with solid experience and good judgment – and that he would never have made any of them.