Author Topic: Has your body ever just said enough?  (Read 8196 times)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: Has your body ever just said enough?
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2007, 04:52:44 PM »
make sure to play heavy trance music when doing the workout.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2007, 05:02:37 PM »
make sure to play heavy trance music when doing the workout.

No, I will listen to rap. Maybe Fiddy.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
No, I will listen to rap. Maybe Fiddy.

make sure to listen to dance music.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2007, 05:11:21 PM »

I don't see why that is relevant.
E

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2007, 05:44:23 AM »
Dan, why are you listening to someone that has never posted a pic before? I am referring to bluto

he tells you to be carefull of over training yet his current split is "2 a day"

also why are/were you doing cardio 6 days a week?

why not just do cardio for 20 min at the most after your weights..focus more on the diet as means to keep lean
Here comes the money shot

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2007, 08:29:55 AM »
Dan, why are you listening to someone that has never posted a pic before? I am referring to bluto

he tells you to be carefull of over training yet his current split is "2 a day"

also why are/were you doing cardio 6 days a week?

why not just do cardio for 20 min at the most after your weights..focus more on the diet as means to keep lean

I listen to Bluto cuz I have faith in Ron basically. No way in the world Ron would make Bluto a mod on the training board if he hadn't seen his pic. That would be borderline negligence. Plus he seems to know about training. He is like 225 under 10% bf all year.  As far as cardio, I run every morning, I like it. You see any thing in Blutos advice that I should disregard? Cuz tbh quite honest I think Slaveboy gave me bad advice about the 16 sets of deads and chins, I have a feeling thats going to hurt my back.
E

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2007, 08:33:40 AM »
I listen to Bluto cuz I have faith in Ron basically. No way in the world Ron would make Bluto a mod on the training board if he hadn't seen his pic. That would be borderline negligence. Plus he seems to know about training. He is like 225 under 10% bf all year.  As far as cardio, I run every morning, I like it. You see any thing in Blutos advice that I should disregard? Cuz tbh quite honest I think Slaveboy gave me bad advice about the 16 sets of deads and chins, I have a feeling thats going to hurt my back.
doing 16 sets of deadlifts is the stupidest thing anyone could ever do, totally unnecessary.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2007, 08:38:07 AM »
doing 16 sets of deadlifts is the stupidest thing anyone could ever do, totally unnecessary.

I was thinking that myself. He must have been trolling. Funny thing is, I was just looking for some advice, but that seemed out of line to me. This is supposed to be a serious board and he gives me that advice? I wonder what Bluto thinks of that?
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2007, 02:55:39 PM »
just to do something crazy  ;)....16 sets of each.

how many chins can you do?

also make sure to have a pretty wide grip for the deadlifts

I could only do 10 sets of each. I went light on the deads, 185 for 10. First set of chins did 15. deads were fairly easy, except I went down to 135 on my sixth set. Chins were not as easy, I needed to add 40 pounds of resistance on my third set and by my ninth I was using 90 pounds and only getting 6 reps. I probably should have been doing negatives at that point. I only did 10 sets of each. Couldn't get 16, not with any weight left on the bar anyway. Back is by far my weak point. Have you done this 16 set thing before? I feel sore, but not a good sore :(
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2007, 04:02:57 PM »
I could only do 10 sets of each. I went light on the deads, 185 for 10. First set of chins did 15. deads were fairly easy, except I went down to 135 on my sixth set. Chins were not as easy, I needed to add 40 pounds of resistance on my third set and by my ninth I was using 90 pounds and only getting 6 reps. I probably should have been doing negatives at that point. I only did 10 sets of each. Couldn't get 16, not with any weight left on the bar anyway. Back is by far my weak point. Have you done this 16 set thing before? I feel sore, but not a good sore :(

if you went heavy enough on deads you should not have needed any weights on the chins....

yes i have done the 16 set thing before..but just to "shock"  (which is psedo bs in many ways) the body.

90lbs+bw for 6 reps on the chins is good tho! but you wouldnt(shouldnt) come close to that if you did the deads heavy enough.

next time superset (old school style) barbell rows with pulldowns 8-10 sets x 8-10 reps.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2007, 04:41:26 PM »
if you went heavy enough on deads you should not have needed any weights on the chins....

yes i have done the 16 set thing before..but just to "shock"  (which is psedo bs in many ways) the body.

90lbs+bw for 6 reps on the chins is good tho! but you wouldnt(shouldnt) come close to that if you did the deads heavy enough.

next time superset (old school style) barbell rows with pulldowns 8-10 sets x 8-10 reps.

Ooops, I meant that I needed to add weight to help me on the chins(assistance, not resistance). No way I could add 90 pounds.
E

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2007, 04:48:35 PM »
Add 25 lbs to your weight for chins and you will do wonders with chins.

As for your body, the body will do anything the mind thinks it can do.  Every physical challenge is a mind fuck; you tell yourself you can do it and your body will respond.
Squishy face retard

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2007, 04:53:01 PM »
Add 25 lbs to your weight for chins and you will do wonders with chins.

As for your body, the body will do anything the mind thinks it can do.  Every physical challenge is a mind fuck; you tell yourself you can do it and your body will respond.

I posted wrong the first time, after a few sets of supering the deads and chin-ups, I needed assistance(I stood on the cheater bar), not resistance. There is no way I could do anywhere near 10 supersets with my own weight, let alone adding weight. I did not rest between the deads and chins, maybe I should have. I did rest 90 seconds in between sets though. Not sure that was enough either. My lower back hurts, but so do my lats, so that's cool. I am going to try to get to 16 sets in the next two months.
E

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »

Agreed; in my gym here in Korea they play HORRIBLE KOREAN LOVE BALLADS and it is awful for the workout...
I hate the State.

SHUTUPANDTRAIN

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:35 AM »
I am going through a physical exhaustion right now. I think I may have been over training. Or at the very least not getting enough food and sleep to support my lifestyle. Any of you guys ever take time away from the gym? I wanted to go this morning, but although I was wide awake I did not feel like it at all. No hangover, just didn't want to go. Should I take the day off? Maybe 2 or 3 days?

I have not posted in a while (sometimes more fun just to watch and read) but I can not take it anymore...You sniveling little bitch...SHUT THE FUCK UP AND TRAIN...LOL

Just kiddin'...What up fool?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2007, 10:29:42 AM »
Take 2 weeks off of any type training. This would include mind numbing and muscle wasting cardio. If you have a addiction to running than hold it back to 3 times a week with at least a full days rest between running adventures. And make the run's shorter.

You should not lose much in size and strength when being away from lifting for short periods (2 weeks). If you do than you have been training wrong in the first place. With the mean average being from three to four weeks, the body tend to revert to it's normal state and you may notice a little muscle loss. But nothing to any great degree. Take a rest and come back stronger than ever and with renewed purpose to build a better body. Might also try to make the workouts shorter and to the point. Also how many times a week you really need to workout. Good luck.
F

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »
Take 2 weeks off of any type training. This would include mind numbing and muscle wasting cardio. If you have a addiction to running than hold it back to 3 times a week with at least a full days rest between running adventures. And make the run's shorter.

You should not lose much in size and strength when being away from lifting for short periods (2 weeks). If you do than you have been training wrong in the first place. With the mean average being from three to four weeks, the body tend to revert to it's normal state and you may notice a little muscle loss. But nothing to any great degree. Take a rest and come back stronger than ever and with renewed purpose to build a better body. Might also try to make the workouts shorter and to the point. Also how many times a week you really need to workout. Good luck.

Whats happening Shutupandtain? JPM, I was going to take some time off, but I just switched to a split for now. I am training bodyparts once a week, rather than hitting upper body 3 times a week and legs twice(sometimes once). I feel better already and I realize how badly I was neglecting my back. I have almost zero muscular endurance in my back whatsoever. I was spent after five supersets of deads and chins. Like I said in an earlier thread I was trying to get 16 sets, but could only get ten. I know that I could do 40 sets of chest without a problem. So I obviously need to bring up my back and I think splitting them up is a good way to do that. I feel much better now and it's only been 2 weeks. I may be undertraining at this point, but I guess the proof will be in the mirror in a couple months. Thanks for the reply.
E

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »
Whats happening Shutupandtain? JPM, I was going to take some time off, but I just switched to a split for now. I am training bodyparts once a week, rather than hitting upper body 3 times a week and legs twice(sometimes once). I feel better already and I realize how badly I was neglecting my back. I have almost zero muscular endurance in my back whatsoever. I was spent after five supersets of deads and chins. Like I said in an earlier thread I was trying to get 16 sets, but could only get ten. I know that I could do 40 sets of chest without a problem. So I obviously need to bring up my back and I think splitting them up is a good way to do that. I feel much better now and it's only been 2 weeks. I may be undertraining at the point, but I guess the proof will be in the mirror in a couple months. Thanks for the reply.

i can guarantee you that you wont loose any muscle if your training a muscle once a week...(if you eat correctly etc).

i dont remember how many times per week your working out?

try limiting it to 3...max 4 days a week..and you will see that you will start feeling really fresh and motivated!

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2007, 05:38:23 PM »
i can guarantee you that you wont loose any muscle if your training a muscle once a week...(if you eat correctly etc).

i dont remember how many times per week your working out?

try limiting it to 3...max 4 days a week..and you will see that you will start feeling really fresh and motivated!

Correct. 4 times a week. Chest one day, shoulders and tri's , back and Bi's, and legs. SB, did you see where I made the mistake and said that I was actually adding weight to the chins? It was quite the opposite, I needed help after a few sets actually. I could have used a narrow grip and done more, but I stuck to wide. When do you think I should do that again?
E

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2007, 07:06:29 PM »
actually, if your back was in a slump...if it hadnt imroved in quite some time...and you needed thickness more than width. 16 sets of deadlifts would be an awesome way to shock the muscle into growth.   just as a one time thing. if width was your problem pulldowns would be better...

cardio right after weight training is moronic unless you drink a shake and wait 15-20 minutes before doing the cardio...otherwise your body lacks muscle glyocgen and protein and nay level of exercise is too intense for your body to use body fat for...it is going to go straight into survivalism mode and burn up muscle tissue if you do it that way.

i cant believe that someon would argue AGAINST cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, but FOR cardio on an empty stomach right after training with weights.

you have got to be RETARDED

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2007, 11:32:41 AM »
Rest is as important as training is.  The body adapts to a stressor (lifting weights) but there comes a point where the body needs rest.  It runs out of adaptative energy. I find after training hard for about 4 to 6 weeks I need 4 to 7 days off.  Maybe you younger guys could go 8 weeks or more.  I'm talking about natural trainers. If you are training to the max with intense cardio how long can anyone go before you crack? 

Athletes in every sport train in cycles why not bodybuilders.  No one can stay in peak shape year round. Let take a Track miler training for the year.  For three to four months he might do four to 10 miles runs six days a week.  The next four he will start introducing intervals on the track.  Maybe 800 meter repeats a couple of days a week when he doesn't get his distance runs in.  The last four months will be all intervals on the track.  Hard core intense sprint repeats from 800 meters down to 200 meters.  Athletes from every sport doesn't attempt peak performance year round.

From a psychological point of view many feel like they are lazy when taking a break.  That there work ethic isn't up to hard core blue collar values. 

When you come back from taking  say 7 days off you shouldn't go back to hard core workouts right off the back.  Give your mind and body a break.  If you left off with doing your sets with 300lbs the worst thing you could do after a break is to go right back to that max workout poundage.  Reduce the weight and begin your escalation again.  Now you might break that barrier onto new gains. 

Never really plan time off.  Let it come you.  When you have no energy and feel drained is one warning sign.  How's your mind?  Do you feel depressed and look at things with a negative cynical viewpoint?  Well I normally do but that's beside the point. That might stem from just being exhausted from training.

The only guys that don't ever take off are the ones that look like crap all the time. The body gets stronger from rest.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »

How's your mind?  Do you feel depressed and look at things with a negative cynical viewpoint?  Well I normally do but that's beside the point. That might stem from just being exhausted from training.

No, I am a fairly positive person. Good post. I will definitely take time off if I feel I need it again, but this new split is going pretty good so far.
E