Author Topic: Using momentum on rows and back exercises  (Read 6696 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: Using momentum on rows and back exercises
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 12:44:58 AM »
Any momentum used on any exercise will remove the tension you could have otherwise used for that part which was helped by momentum. So, you are lifting more weight, but spreading that weight throughout a) the muscles causing the momentum and b) the muscles that are meant to be lifting the weight. So, there isn't a whole lot of point for heavy momentum unless you only want a hard contraction at a very small part of the ROM. I prefer training full ROM, no momentum.

The key is not to abuse cheating, whether it's rowing, curls or whatever. Just a little nudge at the beginning just to get the weight moving allows the muscles to take over and get a good workout, and lowers the potential of injury from heaving the weight.

Great explanation, pumpster. :)

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »
I've found that by dropping the weight I lift by half....I'm getting better results since I'm focusing on just getting the best contraction in my lats. When heavier it's more of a full body exercise and maybe better for mass?

AntonioAMP

• Getbig I
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 05:34:24 AM »
i believe the use of momentum is effective in reducing the strain on the biceps during the lift, this however is best suited, of course, at the beginning of the lift... take lat pulldowns for instance, it is usually advised that you arch your back at a slight angle while you puff out your chest and pull down from there, i feel you can use momentum as you postion yourself in a leaning angle eliminating all bicep strain and stimulating the back to work... actually Mike Menzter addressed something similar when discussing lateral raises. he advocated that you swing at the begging or it is near impossible to lift, he did also say that if you are unable to hold the weight briefly at the top of the movement you are using to much momentum.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »
i believe the use of momentum is effective in reducing the strain on the biceps during the lift, this however is best suited, of course, at the beginning of the lift... take lat pulldowns for instance, it is usually advised that you arch your back at a slight angle while you puff out your chest and pull down from there, i feel you can use momentum as you postion yourself in a leaning angle eliminating all bicep strain and stimulating the back to work... actually Mike Menzter addressed something similar when discussing lateral raises. he advocated that you swing at the begging or it is near impossible to lift, he did also say that if you are unable to hold the weight briefly at the top of the movement you are using to much momentum.

Again coming back to cheating as an advantage over strict in a majority of exercises. This is controlled, "good" cheating, not abusing the idea. Just enough to get the weight moving the few couple of inches. I'd say that cheating done this way's better for most exercises, including for example tricep extensions as well as curls and lat work.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 10:34:23 AM »
i'm going to say something i don't think i've ever said before:

reread pumpster's posts here for my opinion on rows. i agree 100%. ultra-strict rows rob half of your back of work and using too much english leads to he lift being all hamstrings and lower back. as long as your body is at a sensible angle when the bar hits your belly (or sternum, as i've been doing lately), chances are you're not swinging too much.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
ive actually been experimenting wuite a bit with my form lately, and i notice on bench machine, if i try a little "forward sway" (opposite of bacward sway on rows)..it helps get the chest a little better..just like the back sway with back.