Author Topic: Using momentum on rows and back exercises  (Read 6690 times)

J Grey

Using momentum on rows and back exercises
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
should I use no momentum what so ever on back exercises? would using only muscular contraction a little less weight be better than using some momentum with heavier weight?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Using momentum on rows and back exercises
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
should I use no momentum what so ever on back exercises? would using only muscular contraction a little less weight be better than using some momentum with heavier weight?

That's a good question. Both are good. I've found that using just a little momentum's effective in terms of getting in to a groove during the set. Plus let's face it that's actually more similar to rowing a boat, which is not done in ultra-strict fashion.

In general i find that it's better to use a little momentum (A little, not a lot-big difference, Cheating's often abused to the point of being worthless. You want just enough motion to get it moving the first few inches.).

But then in conjuction with that slight cheating, it's helpful to try to keep the body fairly motionless and make the exercise more strict by using a pad or something else to rest against. Something that keeps the body from moving to much.

Thus you've got a little momentum in the ROM, but use a pad to keep the body fairly but not entirely motionless. A combination of the two-a bench or pad to lie against while rowing, a preacher bench while curling, etc.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:32:24 AM »
When Dorian found out that Dugdale used a little momentum on his back exercises he was quick to point out his cheating ways and him cheating himself of maximum growth because of it. Dorian, with possibly the best back in the history of Bodybuilding doesn't take lightly on cheaters!!

:)
Z

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:34:18 AM »
I think a little momentum on biceps and triceps is alright but with back it's just too risky.  You want to row or pull a weight, not tug or jerk it.

J Grey

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:41:07 AM »
When Dorian found out that Dugdale used a little momentum on his back exercises he was quick to point out his cheating ways and him cheating himself of maximum growth because of it. Dorian, with possibly the best back in the history of Bodybuilding doesn't take lightly on cheaters!!

:)

I saw that, but now the video is removed, do you have a link to it? :(

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:41:43 AM »
Don't use the low back to gain momentum except for the last rep or 2 unless you are attempting to work the low back.  Any momentum you gain should be from the explosiveness you create at the beginning of the lift, not the low back.  I see guys doing seated rows bending forward at the waist and then leaning way back as the weight stack is thrown up and the arms are able to pull the weight back.  They look really cool because they can do the entire stack of weight  ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »
These guys are pointing to the injury potential of momentum for back work. That's part of why i suggest keeping the back immobile, lying on a bench or against a pad.

Do that and (1) you can use a little momentum without the injury potential, and (2) the back gets worked to it's fullest IMO by using a little momentum coupled with the back braced.

From my experience this combination is better than any of the other usual forms of back work.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »
Using momentum seems to go with larger muscle development, with due respect to what Yates said. To get that heavier weight jump started, from a weaker stretched out (biceps) position, body English will be required. If trying for ultra strict performance throughout the pull, you are only limiting the weight used for the back and letting the arms get the blunt of the work. Like doing a 250 BB row vs a 135lb row. Which version will give you a better back?

Cheating can have an important place when doing any exercise and could be called  the next step above momentum. This is controlled cheating, with a style and rhythm to a rep. But not only the last few reps, but for the total set. This is not to be confused with sloppy form, where the weight is yanked, jerked, half repped or whatever. You are using a heavier but with control. There is a video of Bertil Fox doing cheat curls somewhere on this site. Not perfect but still a pretty good example of how cheats are preformed.

BB'ing is like a personal lab experiment to see what may or may not work for you and you only. I do think that BB'ers are among the most inventive group around, with regards to their subculture. But, at times, they can get into a rut with what the "experts" say is the correct way to train. Might it be reps, sets, how many days a week to train or whatever. Give any new program or exercise style a good 6 to 8 weeks to see how it may work for you. Strict, cheat or somewhere in the middle. Or anything else for that matter. Good Luck.
F

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:17:17 AM »
In all honesty I say you're better off not using momentum. You can not make the back muscles work harder by bobbing with your legs etc You might have the impression they are but in reality they are not.
Basically anything you try to FORCE will not work or worse, work against you

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
Also realize that anything started with a hitch or jerk is momentum, an object already moving is much easier to keep in movement than something immobile that needs to yet be mobilised.

Hence (and this is just my opinion, no data to support this) why you often see people who do everything they should be doing (think nutrition, rest, etc) not getting the gains they should be getting based on their workout poundages, they are using momentum to get the weight moving (and indeed once it is moving it becomes much easier to keep it moving).

We've all seen countless examples of these people, the common 'they just lack genetics' is bs. We are all humans and are all capable of building muscle, seek out your error instead of thinking you are some kind of genetic anomaly incapable of building muscle or at least building the amount of muscle you feel you deserve

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
i think  getting a "sway" on back movements is actually IMPORTANT to understand how to properly do and to do it every time ... it allows for more weight, incorporates the lower lats, helps isolate the back from the biceps, and makes the exercise a bit more fluid.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
i think  getting a "sway" on back movements is actually IMPORTANT to understand how to properly do and to do it every time ... it allows for more weight, incorporates the lower lats, helps isolate the back from the biceps, and makes the exercise a bit more fluid.

All opinion but i agree with this. After all, actual rowing uses this fluid, less strict motion. Too often there's an obsession with strict. In part i believe because strict is equated with a more "honest' & greater work ethic and/or that fuller ROM while lifting strictly means something re: development, which has not been established.

The key is not to abuse cheating, whether it's rowing, curls or whatever. Just a little nudge at the beginning just to get the weight moving allows the muscles to take over and get a good workout, and lowers the potential of injury from heaving the weight.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
Differing opinions are fine! By all means thread starter try different things

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:02:46 PM »
All opinion but i agree with this. After all, actual rowing uses this fluid, less strict motion. Too often there's an obsession with strict. In part i believe because strict is equated with a more "honest' & greater work ethic and/or that fuller ROM while lifting strictly means something re: development, which has not been established.

The key is not to abuse cheating, whether it's rowing, curls or whatever. Just a little nudge at the beginning just to get the weight moving allows the muscles to take over and get a good workout, and lowers the potential of injury from heaving the weight.

ronnie knows exactly how to sway on every back movement =

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »
Just my opinion and personal experience, but  think momentum is very beneficial. I actually feel the back working harder.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »
Just my opinion and personal experience, but  think momentum is very beneficial. I actually feel the back working harder.
hell yeah..back day tomorow..love back day... hell yeah hell yeah hellyeah !@!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
hell yeah..back day tomorow..love back day... hell yeah hell yeah hellyeah !@!!!!
IMO when i stopped using "perfect form" with exception of squats, deadlifts etc.. I grew ten times faster.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »
DORIAN SAYS NO >:(

only the first half of the rom is effective, the other you get for free = that part of your back isn't being worked...

like dorian says: if you can't hold the weight static at full contraction, you're using to much weight and you used momentum to contract not muscle.
tank u jesus

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »

So what, you've got other guys with great backs like Coleman who don't ascribe to that belief at all. Strict obviously isn't essential and as some have said it actually feels better and may be more productive to use some body english. There's absolutely no basis to the belief that strict form is essential despite the fact that some believe it.

Besides which he was doing BB rows almost standing up, hardly textbook form.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »

only the first half of the rom is effective, the other you get for free = that part of your back isn't being worked...

like dorian says: if you can't hold the weight static at full contraction, you're using to much weight and you used momentum to contract not muscle.
that does not contradict usign sway during back work... and you dont use the sway with momentum its more of a controlled sway and your using lower lat contraction to start the sway and full lat contrant the rest of the time. trust me, try the slight sway..its magic.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 08:09:59 PM »

x2

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »
I find that the stress on the joints is alleviated by using a bit of a swaying motion.  Standing stiff in any position with that much weight pulling you down (while you resist to stay somewhat upright) is not good for the lower back. 
Squishy face retard

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 03:09:11 AM »
that does not contradict usign sway during back work... and you dont use the sway with momentum its more of a controlled sway and your using lower lat contraction to start the sway and full lat contrant the rest of the time. trust me, try the slight sway..its magic.

yeah big difference between sway as you get closer to failure and throwing the weight up on every rep. However that static hold thing is a great way to tell if you're cheating or not.
tank u jesus

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 07:27:44 AM »

Yes.

Dorian is right.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 08:34:52 AM »
Yes.

Dorian is right.

As a moderator i think you can do better than that. Offer some of your wealth of experience as to why, for example.