Author Topic: Is it the new Douchebag trend to not touch the chest in Bench Press?  (Read 18979 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Is it the new Douchebag trend to not touch the chest in Bench Press?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »
well if you are using heavy weight on Benches or shoulder press i think itīs ok not to go all the way down..not half reps but lower till the arm is at a right angle. The benefits of going lower are minimal but CAN stress your shoulders. I go down to a right angle and also on shoulder barbell presses... If you have shoulder issues itīs safer. So itīs not for me to cheat or even use more weight but to save my joints.. ;)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »
well if you are using heavy weight on Benches or shoulder press i think itīs ok not to go all the way down..not half reps but lower till the arm is at a right angle. The benefits of going lower are minimal but CAN stress your shoulders. I go down to a right angle and also on shoulder barbell presses... If you have shoulder issues itīs safer. So itīs not for me to cheat or even use more weight but to save my joints.. ;)

Explain how going lower "stresses your shoulders".

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Explain how going lower "stresses your shoulders".

Yes, I look forward to his answer.

Considering in the Arnold days people lowered the bar all the way to the chest.
X

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

was a while ago and ideas change. However do what you think is right. I am 46 and will look after my joints. we canīt always live in "Arnolds" time. Do you think going below parallel in Dips is healthy? i feel it in my shoulders.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »
read this
http://www.boxingscene.com/exercise/39380.php

"Bench Press - This is a popular exercise chosen to build the chest, along with the anterior deltoid and triceps. Most teach taking the bar down until it lightly touches the chest. However, I believe this is unsafe because it exposes the anterior shoulder capsule to excessive load, in addition to compressing the soft tissue of the rotator cuff between the humerus and the acromion. Over time, with repeated bouts and heavy loads, the rotator cuff becomes inflamed."

What a bunch of bullshit.  So stopping with your "elbows at a right angle" prevents all of that?  How is that exactly?  I could throw up a website too with a list of shoulder anatomy and say "I believe doing X inflames these things" but that doesn't make it true.

Here is why bench press "wrecks your joints":  it's an ego lift and most guys try to use way too much weight.  Rather than using less weight with correct form, they use more weight with shit form and come up with hair-brained excuses like the one seen above to justify it as "injury prevention" because when they did it the other way their shoulders hurt.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »
Epic using 35lb plates to make yourself look more impressive. Now, to the topic of discussion, if it doesn't touch your chest it doesn't count. I always touch my chest with the barbell. Control the weight and avoid injury.

Those were 25lb plates, not 35.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »
"Bench Press - This is a popular exercise chosen to build the chest, along with the anterior deltoid and triceps. Most teach taking the bar down until it lightly touches the chest. However, I believe this is unsafe because it exposes the anterior shoulder capsule to excessive load, in addition to compressing the soft tissue of the rotator cuff between the humerus and the acromion. Over time, with repeated bouts and heavy loads, the rotator cuff becomes inflamed."

What a bunch of bullshit.  So stopping with your "elbows at a right angle" prevents all of that?  How is that exactly?  I could throw up a website too with a list of shoulder anatomy and say "I believe doing X inflames these things" but that doesn't make it true.

Here is why bench press "wrecks your joints":  it's an ego lift and most guys try to use way too much weight.  Rather than using less weight with correct form, they use more weight with shit form and come up with hair-brained excuses like the one seen above to justify it as "injury prevention" because when they did it the other way their shoulders hurt.
yes.. you wrote yourself "correct form" what i am trying to tell you. contradict yourself..still there will always be guys like you who have the mentality.."well yeah but Arnold did it" ::) train how you feel mate but if you know better. I put the link up to save me time and typing as it is well explained.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
yes.. you wrote yourself "correct form" what i am trying to tell you. contradict yourself..still there will always be guys like you who have the mentality.."well yeah but Arnold did it" ::) train how you feel mate but if you know better. I put the link up to save me time and typing as it is well explained.

I don't give a fuck what Arnold did, someone else posted that.  Answer the question: how does stopping with the bar a few inches above your chest avoid "inflaming" the rotator cuff?  If you can't (which certainly seems to be the case), then stop posting a bunch of misleading broscience nonsense as if you know what you're talking about.

Maybe we should take a step back first: do you know what the "rotator cuff" is exactly?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
I don't give a fuck what Arnold did, someone else posted that.  Answer the question: how does stopping with the bar a few inches above your chest avoid "inflaming" the rotator cuff?  If you can't (which certainly seems to be the case), then stop posting a bunch of misleading broscience nonsense as if you know what you're talking about.

Maybe we should take a step back first: do you know what the "rotator cuff" is exactly?
of course i know son. stop swearing your being a tool. Here is a picture of the maximum depth i would go on dips..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »
itīs the same with an over excessive wide grip on a bench press. The shoulder joint is very open to injury. It also cuts down the range of motion. Yes we know son Arnold did it to minimize tricep involvement.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
Back in the day, Flex, Chris, Paul, Rico, Arron, etc, none of them brought the bar all the way down. Watched it for years. If it works, it works.
a

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
Back in the day, Flex, Chris, Paul, Rico, Arron, etc, none of them brought the bar all the way down. Watched it for years. If it works, it works.
yes

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
simon = outed

Epic verbal suicide  ;D ;D ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »
My arms are so long, that if I lowered until 90 degrees it would be virtually no range of movement.  I probably could do a massive amount of weight and get zero out of it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »

Anything works with a shit load of gear. Doesn't mean it's the correct mechanics or the correct way to bench.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
there used to be a bar that had a bend in it, so that not only did you touch your chest on the bench press, your hands are now lower than an straight bar, giving even more stretch at the bottom.  i guess nowadays they would use that bar but upside down..   ::)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »

True. But, it's also just wear and tear from years of lifting; and let's not forget the shoulder is just one of the human body's poorly designed areas, like knees or lower back. Oh, and getting old. Add that one in, as well.   

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
was a while ago and ideas change. However do what you think is right. I am 46 and will look after my joints. we canīt always live in "Arnolds" time. Do you think going below parallel in Dips is healthy? i feel it in my shoulders.
Damn you're old.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
Damn you're old.
getting there.... ;D

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »

By contrast, Dorian, Kevin, Shawn, Ronnie and many others were all about touching the bar to chest, and they have a far better track record overall than Flex, Chris, Paul, and Baker :)

(Rico doesn't count; he never even won a legit national title :D )

But let's be real:  with all of the shit all of aforesaid personages were taking, they probably could've done a shitload of push-ups in lieu of "real" training and wound up not too far from where they were with the 405 inclines for reps and such.  

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »

If you think it was smart what they did in Arnolds days, go for it....

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
This video is 5 years old.

It is how you should bench press (except the last rep)

Even I do not do bench this way all the time but I always touch the chest!

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »
This video is 5 years old.

It is how you should bench press (except the last rep)

Even I do not do bench this way all the time but I always touch the chest!

Exactly, this is a perfect example of how you bench press, the last rep was the most impressive.

epic_alien

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
I personally believe people who don`t touch the chest do so because they would be forced to lower the weight perhaps. 

not everyone has scoliosis like you dude, form means jack shit when you good a good program rolling

take your silly rules back to the spine clinic