Author Topic: What's it like being a father?  (Read 8686 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
What's it like being a father?
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »
I haven't been blessed with a child yet. I'm getting a little older at 34 and you can imagine a single man can lead a pretty selfish lifestyle. Often throughout the day when I'm out and about, I observe fathers with their children and wonder what it's like to have a little me running around or having a little girl.

What's it like, it's something I still can't fathom? A little me that I'm responsible for.

One day I will if the good Lord wills it. It just scares me to death to impregnate some broad you thought you knew and it doesn't work out then your on the hook for alimony and child support with limited parental rights. Funk dat.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
Re: What's it like being a father?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »
It is great. I have 2 girls... 1 and 4 (about to be 5 about to be 20 if you to talk to her). Very time consuming to have a family, but nothing better then when you hold your kids.

Go ahead and call me gay or whatever... no matter. It is true.
$

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »
you know i have 3 now its tough,,4month old to go with 8/4 girls,he's a boy,,,in church today with daughter 8 she's getting ready for communion this yr and i'm there for her and she's ::)  in church,,,i reconnected with church last 10 yrs...try to go as much as  i can..

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »
I haven't been blessed with a child yet. I'm getting a little older at 34 and you can imagine a single man can lead a pretty selfish lifestyle. Often throughout the day when I'm out and about, I observe fathers with their children and wonder what it's like to have a little me running around or having a little girl.

What's it like, it's something I still can't fathom? A little me that I'm responsible for.

One day I will if the good Lord wills it. It just scares me to death to impregnate some broad you thought you knew and it doesn't work out then your on the hook for alimony and child support with limited parental rights. Funk dat.
great thread...   I have a son and its very rewarding.    Cuts into my riding time or traveling like a gypsy  but he is the best thing that ever happened to me.  He is 10 now and we lift together       makes life worth living
a

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »

you can always buy one on ebay.

Being a father is demanding but fully satisfying experience. 34 is a good age to become one. Good luck.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
Just became a pops to a baby girl on christmas morning at 6am. 9 pound girl. I cried like a baby when she came out. Not sure why I got so emotional but I sure did.

Guys I am not going to lie I am very tired. When does it get better?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
Just became a pops to a baby girl on christmas morning at 6am. 9 pound girl. I cried like a baby when she came out. Not sure why I got so emotional but I sure did.

If I didn't already say so, congratulations! That's a good thing you got emotional, I'm sure many do, I know for damn sure I will.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »

Hey congrats chief, was it earlier than expected? From what I remember the first 3 weeks are pretty intense, then routine sets in pretty quickly. First week or so is all adrenaline of peace. If your wife breastfeeds, sometimes add a little stress if not producing as expected but don't give up, it's the best thing for your baby but formula is fine too. Are your families around? Get all the help you can get. We went with a night nurse for a while but didn't really work out because of the breastfeeding, wife had to get up anyway.
®

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »

Better? I don't know, I'm about nine months in and it's tough. Pretty fun though, he stood up by himself today without holding on to anything, I was pretty stoked. He's been able to walk behind his cart since thanksgiving, so I'm thinking any day now he'll be walking. Go for it Wiggs, it's your only chance at immortality. You can also tell him your views, and he/she will spread that on. In a few generations, it's ingrained in the genes.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
Hey congrats chief, was it earlier than expected? From what I remember the first 3 weeks are pretty intense, then routine sets in pretty quickly. First week or so is all adrenaline of peace. If your wife breastfeeds, sometimes add a little stress if not producing as expected but don't give up, it's the best thing for your baby but formula is fine too. Are your families around? Get all the help you can get. We went with a night nurse for a while but didn't really work out because of the breastfeeding, wife had to get up anyway.

Congratulations to you also Alex. You're a new father do you mind sharing your experiences thus far?

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »

congrats, yes it is overwhelming experience, especially the first baby.
It does get better, when they start making their own money.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »

Congrats man. It depends on the kid. My first daughter didn't sleep for like 2 years. Literally. You adjust. My second is a good sleeper. You'll be ok and you'll learn patience you didn't know you had.
$

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »

Dude the breast feeding is extremely stressful. I completed underestimated this. I found a lactation consultant to come to the house and work with her one on one. This part is occupying my life right now. That formula stuff scares me

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 07:36:19 PM »
It's pretty great. I was really iffy at first... once he hit about 8 months, I was hooked. The first 7 I kinda just stared at him in shock though.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 07:36:44 PM »

Don't do it.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
congrats, yes it is overwhelming experience, especially the first baby.
It does get better, when they start making their own money.

Lmao

I don't care about money or costs etc... I just want healthy and smart. The breast feeding I think contributes to that, and it is not happening

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
Congratulations to you also Alex. You're a new father do you mind sharing your experiences thus far?

Thanks chief. it's been almost 8 months already so first thing is time flies sooo fast. Take pictures, lots and lots of pictures. We take professional pics every 6 weeks and on holidays. I fussed at first but looking back at all the framings we already have, I'm glad my wife is nuts and regimental about this.

First 6 weeks, do what you can to help; but don't get frustrated if you can't do much. Depends on mom's temper but some like mine want things done their own way, so can feel like "baby: you're doing it wrong" a lot of times.

When buying newborn stuff, stick to the same brand if you can, like Carter's. The definition of "newborn" size varies a lot depending on which region of Chinaman child labor it's coming from  ;D

Last, bond with him/her as early as possible. Be part of the routine. Bath time, pop in, help out, read them stories as early as possible.

Oh yea one more thing, around 8 weeks mom may have the routine of bringing him/her to bed for night feedings. At this point, mom is pretty much burned out, so chances are baby will be spending the rest of the night in the bed. Maybe time for you to sleep on the couch for a couple of weeks at this point.  ;D
®

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
my oldest i thought i was a goner,she was cholic so bad wailed through her feedings for months non stop ,i had to walk holding her,use blow dryers for sound,car rides at night to calm her,u would sit down and she was what '2months old'and she would know u were sitting and cry soloud it was piercing,,we switched formulas and i said fuk it turned her on her belly to sleep,,today she'ssecond grader who reads on 6th grade level,great swimmer,,middle one was easier as baby now 4 pain in the ass drama queen,,the baby is kinda like 1st he's 4months old and screams for 2 hrs before bed but sleeps the night pretty much :-\...

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »
It's pretty great. I was really iffy at first... once he hit about 8 months, I was hooked. The first 7 I kinda just stared at him in shock though.

Hhahahha I look at her in shock too.it really is shocking. After I cried I starred at her in shock and haven't stopped

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Being a father is hard work but rewarding.  When your child gives you love it's like nothing else
A

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
Dude the breast feeding is extremely stressful. I completed underestimated this. I found a lactation consultant to come to the house and work with her one on one. This part is occupying my life right now. That formula stuff scares me

nothing to be scared of, my son was born 8 weeks premature, fed with formula from beginning, never breastfed.
He is now 4, happy and healthy, full of energy kid.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
Hire a surrogate mother, no custody battle, no every other weekend father bs.

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »

That's awesome. The day my son was born the nurse who specializes in breast feeding stayed after her shift to help my wife kickstart hers. It helped tremendously. Hope this works out for you guys too. Don't give up, even if hard at first, it gets easier. Sure you know already but get a pump!  ;D
®

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »
Hhahahha I look at her in shock too.it really is shocking. After I cried I starred at her in shock and haven't stopped
Yeah it lasted for me until he really started getting interactive, understanding things and wanting to play.

There is not a more soul shattering thing than hearing your child wail with sadness... he stood at the door to the bathroom today wailing his version of "dad" because I was in the shower and he couldn't get to me...

It was heartbreaking...

The Idol

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »

Chicks don't dig you. Nothing to worry about.