Author Topic: Some Call for HBO Boycott in Wake of Bill Maher's Derisive Tweet About Tim Tebow  (Read 9635 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
What I mean is if its wrong its wrong no matter who does it.

I never said anyone said they didnt have a right to say something....

What you did say is that he has a deep respect for christians who act christ like.

This comment didnt come from a place of respect and he didnt mean it as a joke like others want ppl to believe(maybe not yourself specifically)

I responded to your post b/c of your comment about respect, there is no respect in this mans comment at all but it was not all directed solely at you.

Then you don't seem to understand why I said what I said... He has gone on record as showing his respect for those who are "Christ like" and not just "Christian" in name only.

He has many many Christian friends and while they do not agree with his stance, they all seem to think he's a genuinely good guy.

Again, I think it's interesting that people are lying about what he has said... People like Mark over there who is as full of shit as a Christmas goose.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Then you don't seem to understand why I said what I said... He has gone on record as showing his respect for those who are "Christ like" and not just "Christian" in name only.

He has many many Christian friends and while they do not agree with his stance, they all seem to think he's a genuinely good guy.

Again, I think it's interesting that people are lying about what he has said... People like Mark over there who is as full of shit as a Christmas goose.
Thats fine and dandy, I dont see where he gets to decide who acts "christ like" and who isnt but thats neither here nor there.

Do you think this comment came from a place of respect?

if thats what some ppl consider respect then I would hate to see what they consider hatred.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Thats fine and dandy, I dont see where he gets to decide who acts "christ like" and who isnt but thats neither here nor there.

Do you think this comment came from a place of respect?

if thats what some ppl consider respect then I would hate to see what they consider hatred.

I think that when you model your actions after Jesus, then you are acting christ like and not just being "a christian"... I don't see how difficult it is to do or see that.

Were these exact comments respectful... of course not... but Maher has always had an issue with people who point up at the sky when they do well, but don't point up at the sky when shit goes haywire.

His issue is that there is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to what people say God is responsible for.

Did he "Tebow" when he threw an interception, or only when it was a TD?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I think that when you model your actions after Jesus, then you are acting christ like and not just being "a christian"... I don't see how difficult it is to do or see that.

Were these exact comments respectful... of course not... but Maher has always had an issue with people who point up at the sky when they do well, but don't point up at the sky when shit goes haywire.

His issue is that there is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to what people say God is responsible for.

Did he "Tebow" when he threw an interception, or only when it was a TD?
I think you and mahr have a fundamental misunderstand of Christianity and b/c of that tebows actions.

First of humans are not Christ, it is in our nature to sin and it is through Christ that we obtain redemption.

Trying to hold a person to the standards of Christ is ridiculous b/c they will always fall short.

Second tebow never said that God plays a role in the outcome of games. He has given him the ability to play and its up to Tebow to use that ability.

He is giving grace to God and saying that this was possible b/c God made it so. God also made it possible for tebow to suck ass or for the other players to play better.

Tebow acknowledges this and has said that God doesnt favor him over other players on the field.

To think the way mahr does about that is just assinine and again shows a complete misunderstanding.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
I think you and mahr have a fundamental misunderstand of Christianity and b/c of that tebows actions.

First of humans are not Christ, it is in our nature to sin and it is through Christ that we obtain redemption.

Trying to hold a person to the standards of Christ is ridiculous b/c they will always fall short.

Second tebow never said that God plays a role in the outcome of games. He has given him the ability to play and its up to Tebow to use that ability.

He is giving grace to God and saying that this was possible b/c God made it so. God also made it possible for tebow to suck ass or for the other players to play better.

Tebow acknowledges this and has said that God doesnt favor him over other players on the field.

To think the way mahr does about that is just assinine and again shows a complete misunderstanding.

I don't think you are in any way capable of saying what I nor Bill Maher do or do not understand about Christianity.

I, myself spent my entire primary school years in a Christian school, taking Bible study every single day and learning what it supposedly means to be a 'Christian'.

So you will have to excuse me if I don't think your knowledge of what Christianity is trumps what my knowledge of it is.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I don't think you are in any way capable of saying what I nor Bill Maher do or do not understand about Christianity.

I, myself spent my entire primary school years in a Christian school, taking Bible study every single day and learning what it supposedly means to be a 'Christian'.

So you will have to excuse me if I don't think your knowledge of what Christianity is trumps what my knowledge of it is.

Again thats fine and dandy, you both still seem to have a misunderstanding about what tebows views are...

and as a Christian or Christian educated individual you feel its ok to compare someones actions to Christ? Really?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Again thats fine and dandy, you both still seem to have a misunderstanding about what tebows views are...

and as a Christian or Christian educated individual you feel its ok to compare someones actions to Christ? Really?

I think every Christian is supposed model themselves  after Christ... will they fail? Certainly, but that doesn't take away from the fact they are supposed to try.

"Become like unto me", says our Lord Jesus Christ. Be Holy as I am Holy. (Leviticus 11:44)

Say again?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I think every Christian is supposed model themselves  after Christ... will they fail? Certainly, but that doesn't take away from the fact they are supposed to try.

"Become like unto me", says our Lord Jesus Christ. Be Holy as I am Holy. (Leviticus 11:44)

Say again?
correct but you see the difference is when ppl like mahr and other arrogant atheistic morons make light of a person sinning. That is part of Christianity and doesnt mean that a person isnt a good Christian it simply means they made a mistake as we humans do.

What part of Tebows behaviour do you and mahr find offense and not "Christ Like"?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
correct but you see the difference is when ppl like mahr and other arrogant atheistic morons make light of a person sinning. That is part of Christianity and doesnt mean that a person isnt a good Christian it simply means they made a mistake as we humans do.

What part of Tebows behaviour do you and mahr find offense and not "Christ Like"?

I never said I found him offensive... I find most of his fans offensive, but not Tebow personally.

I do not know why Maher finds him offensive... I can not speak on that.

Maher and I do not have sunday brunch or anything.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I never said I found him offensive... I find most of his fans offensive, but not Tebow personally.

I do not know why Maher finds him offensive... I can not speak on that.

Maher and I do not have sunday brunch or anything.
sorry you just seem to know a good amount about him and his views so it was a natural question.

you seemed to point towards a perceived hypocrisy but I guess well just have to take mahr's comment as an irrational hatred of a christian qb then...nothing new under the sun really

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
sorry you just seem to know a good amount about him and his views so it was a natural question.

you seemed to point towards a perceived hypocrisy but I guess well just have to take mahr's comment as an irrational hatred of a christian qb then...nothing new under the sun really

I know a lot about Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh too, but I don't eat dinner with the guys.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I know a lot about Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh too, but I don't eat dinner with the guys.
Just saying, your earlier post seemed to point to a perceived hypocrisy as the reason for the disrespectful tweet from the twit but again I guess will just have to chalk it up to irrational hatred of a Christian, nothing new under the sun

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Just saying, your earlier post seemed to point to a perceived hypocrisy as the reason for the disrespectful tweet from the twit but again I guess will just have to chalk it up to irrational hatred of a Christian, nothing new under the sun

How does that equate to hatred of a Christian? I'm still not sure how you get that.

How is that even hatred?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
How does that equate to hatred of a Christian? I'm still not sure how you get that.

How is that even hatred?
what other reasoning do you see behind his tweet?

other than irrational hatred, I can rephrase it to irrational dislike if that makes you feel better?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
what other reasoning do you see behind his tweet?

other than irrational hatred, I can rephrase it to irrational dislike if that makes you feel better?

Just like every other tweet around... It's pointless.

He probably is getting ready for his new season and wanted some publicity... Boom... publicity.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Just like every other tweet around... It's pointless.

He probably is getting ready for his new season and wanted some publicity... Boom... publicity.
True that it was pointless

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i dont care if tebow is religious.  he's not annoying to me in the least because of that.  god bless him.

what annoys me is the 4th grade pep talkspeak he keeps using on the mic.

"i just have to try harder, and give 110% effort..."

No, Timmy, you need to throw faster and with more accuracy - you're telegraphing shitty passes.  It's that simple.

Skip8282

• Getbig V

How is that even hatred?

He might not hate a Christian per say, but I think I've listened to enough of his remarks to believe that he hates Christianity.

I can't point exact interview dates and times, but some of the ones I've listened to he's argued that it's unacceptable for mature, intelligent, adults to believe in "fantasy", he argues that Christianity interferes with science, and that religion in general is the cause of most war and conflict.

I won't debate those points with you as it's more religious board shit, but, to me at least, that comes across as hating Christianity (or any other religion).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

He might not hate a Christian per say, but I think I've listened to enough of his remarks to believe that he hates Christianity.

I can't point exact interview dates and times, but some of the ones I've listened to he's argued that it's unacceptable for mature, intelligent, adults to believe in "fantasy", he argues that Christianity interferes with science, and that religion in general is the cause of most war and conflict.

I won't debate those points with you as it's more religious board shit, but, to me at least, that comes across as hating Christianity (or any other religion).

Agree.  And anyone who praised 911 terrorists like that idiot should never have access to a microphone. 

But I completely understand why he has an audience. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V

But it came from a place of respect

Or

He was making a joke

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Agree.  And anyone who praised 911 terrorists like that idiot should never have access to a microphone. 

But I completely understand why he has an audience. 

You are a god damn lying piece of shit.

He NEVER praised any 9-11 terrorists... HE SAID they were not cowardly because they stayed in the planes to die.

You are a fucking liar.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Maher does not 'hate' Christians... as a matter of fact, if you would actually follow him, he has a deep respect for those who act "Christ like" and not just call themselves "Christians".

Of course, if you don't follow any of his stuff, then you wouldn't know.

Did you watch Bill Maher's "Religious"?  He showed no respect for anyone who acts "Christ like."  Did you listen to him interview Francis Collins at the beginning?  He showed no respect for him, a scientist and a devout Christian whom even Richard Dawkins has respect for.

As examples of "good scientists who are sincerely religious", Dawkins names Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne and Francis Collins.
- Dawkins, Richard (2006). The God Delusion, 99. ISBN 0-618-68000-4.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Did you watch Bill Maher's "Religious"?  He showed no respect for anyone who acts "Christ like."  Did you listen to him interview Francis Collins at the beginning?  He showed no respect for him, a scientist and a devout Christian whom even Richard Dawkins has respect for.

As examples of "good scientists who are sincerely religious", Dawkins names Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne and Francis Collins.
- Dawkins, Richard (2006). The God Delusion, 99. ISBN 0-618-68000-4.

I did... did you see the scene with the Christian Truckers? Or how about the priest from the Vatican?

Apparently we did not see the same thing?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I did... did you see the scene with the Christian Truckers? Or how about the priest from the Vatican?

Apparently we did not see the same thing?

So you did see Maher show no respect for Francis Collins.  Collins on the other hand was very respectful and nice to Maher.

Maher showed no respect for those truckers and did nothing but ridicule and aggravate them.  The preacher on the other hand was very nice to him.

The priest from the Vatican was being very critical of other Christians and of the Church.  Of course Maher liked this priest.

Yes, we saw the same thing. 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
So you did see Maher show no respect for Francis Collins.  Collins on the other hand was very respectful and nice to Maher.

Maher showed no respect for those truckers and did nothing but ridicule and aggravate them.  The preacher on the other hand was very nice to him.

The priest from the Vatican was being very critical of other Christians and of the Church.  Of course Maher liked this priest.

Yes, we saw the same thing. 

The bold words are vague. This conversation is going to go nowhere until someone defines that stuff in more detail. Otherwise it's a waste of time.