Author Topic: Some people can eat whatever they want and don't get fat ...  (Read 30872 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: Some people can eat whatever they want and don't get fat ...
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
I suppose coz they said that it was the minimal level required for normal brain functioning. I know from my own personal experience that it is relevant, and from a few others that I know, including a fella by the name of John Mark Blakely (creator of the JM press)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »
I suppose coz they said that it was the minimal level required for normal brain functioning. I know from my own personal experience that it is relevant, and from a few others that I know, including a fella by the name of John Mark Blakely (creator of the JM press)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »

The brain requires glucose not carbs.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »
True dat! And carbs, particularly simple carbs, are more easily and more quickly converted to glucose for normal brain functioning.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
I was taught at my university nutrition courses that the minimal level should be 100 carb grams daily, and I've also seen this suggestion elsewhere.

Did your University also teach you the meaning of essential, and how to apply it to protein/carbs/fat?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Yeah man, I think so, but that was almost 15 years ago, and I honestly don't remember the specifics on it. Maybe you or someone else can enlighten me? But who knows, maybe I'm just a pu@sy that can't handle only 30 grams on a daily basis

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »
Yeah man, I think so, but that was almost 15 years ago, and I honestly don't remember the specifics on it. Maybe you or someone else can enlighten me? But who knows, maybe I'm just a pu@sy that can't handle only 30 grams on a daily basis

"Essential" means you have to have it. Essential Nutrition refers to the elements the body must have in order to function correctly.

Name me the "essential" amino acids (protein), name me the essential fatty acids and name me the essential carbohydrates, please. Actually, you don't have to name off any by name, just list how many by category: there are X amount of amino acids, X amount of fatty acids and X amount of essential carbohydrates.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
True dat! And carbs, particularly simple carbs, are more easily and more quickly converted to Adipose tissue.
[/size]

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »
Well, I never said they were essential. This 100 carb gram guideline was given in order combat brain drain.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2010, 03:00:53 AM »
it's all irrelevant.
there are only 3 rules that are essential for optimal body composition.
everyone who says otherwise is a fucking liar.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2010, 03:18:56 AM »
it's all irrelevant.
there are only 3 rules that are essential for optimal body composition.
everyone who says otherwise is a fucking liar.

The number of times I've seen wavelength use the f-word can probably be counted on one hand  :o
from incomplete data

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2010, 03:23:27 AM »
Allright man, so what are these 3 rules? And speaking of body comp, how low is too low? It's been said that essential is 2-3%, and from my own personal experience, I've been at roughly 6% for a prolonged period of time (6 months or so) and I was feeling fine, although my face had a close resemblance to that of skeltors :>

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2010, 03:26:13 AM »
The number of times I've seen wavelength use the f-word can probably be counted on one hand  :o

sorry about that

Allright man, so what are these 3 rules? And speaking of body comp, how low is too low? It's been said that essential is 2-3%, and from my own personal experience, I've been at roughly 6% for a prolonged period of time (6 months or so) and I was feeling fine, although my face had a close resemblance to that of skeltors :>

the 3 rules are:

- anaerobic training
- enough protein
- caloric control

I know what you're talking about. As long as you're feeling fine, it's just a matter of personal preference.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
Well, I never said they were essential. This 100 carb gram guideline was given in order combat brain drain.

I never said that you said they were essential. I asked you if the university taught you the definition of essential.

To me, the argument that anyone has about gaining and/or losing weight begins and ends with the term essential.

Once again, I think the canvass is mired by peoples desire to have a heightened discourse. They want to argue certain things based on their beliefs. Similar to a political or religious discussion, due to peoples own involvement in the subject at hand, it becomes passionate and the main point of the argument is lost in the heat of battle.

The laws of thermodynamics state that if you're in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. This is indisputable. Optimal body composition or shape? That's a completely different ballgame.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2010, 07:46:33 AM »
I get your point, and I will openly admit that my ideas regarding calorie intake and macronutrient distribution were greatly influenced by Arthur Jones. Regarding body shape and body comp, well that is a topic that I'm rather interested in, and yeah, I am performing exeperiments on myself within regard to these 2 topics at the present moment. So can I ask what you believe to be the ideal body comp for a fit individual? (I'm basically talking physical appearance here, not general health) I know in regards to myself, that I must be sub 10% bodyfat to look respectable, and once I hit sub 7% then it's a whole different ballgame.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2010, 08:42:36 AM »
So can I ask what you believe to be the ideal body comp for a fit individual? (I'm basically talking physical appearance here, not general health)

It's different for everyone. A football player, as a lineman might want to be 300lbs, whereas the wide receiver would be 190lbs and lean as a horse.

A bodybuilder wants the highest body weight, yet the least amount of fat to blur definition. A sprinter wants the most amount of muscle and least amount of fat, with not too much muscle to slow him/her down.

I just go for better. I'm more of a bodybuilder, so I want the most amount of muscle, least about of fat. Just my preference, that's all. I don't knock a sumo wrestler for being fat...that's what he has to do to perform his sport. Would I do it? No, but would the sumo wrestler want to look like I do? Don't know, don't care.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »
I never said that you said they were essential. I asked you if the university taught you the definition of essential.

To me, the argument that anyone has about gaining and/or losing weight begins and ends with the term essential.

Once again, I think the canvass is mired by peoples desire to have a heightened discourse. They want to argue certain things based on their beliefs. Similar to a political or religious discussion, due to peoples own involvement in the subject at hand, it becomes passionate and the main point of the argument is lost in the heat of battle.

The laws of thermodynamics state that if you're in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. This is indisputable. Optimal body composition or shape? That's a completely different ballgame.

Very good post...

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2010, 01:36:12 PM »
You don't even need the law of thermodynamics, a caloric deficit is defined as an intake which makes you lose weight.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
You don't even need the law of thermodynamics, a caloric deficit is defined as an intake which makes you lose weight.

However, as bodybuilders we want to keep the most muscle while losing fat...

We're not house wifes wanting to lose weight..

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »

Won't sufficient protein intake and intense workouts cover most of our needs?
from incomplete data

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2010, 01:56:02 PM »

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=331561.msg4745809#msg4745809

Won't sufficient protein intake and intense workouts cover most of our needs?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
wave there is actually 4 rules.

you forgot:

4. proper nutrient timing.

;)
175lbs by 31st July

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »
wave there is actually 4 rules.

you forgot:

4. proper nutrient timing.

;)

No such thing.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:48 AM »

No such thing.

is that what you told tamali  ::)

tell you what, why don't we talk about your feelings on sugar. I need a good laugh................... ......
175lbs by 31st July

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2010, 10:05:10 AM »
is that what you told tamali  ::)

tell you what, why don't we talk about your feelings on sugar. I need a good laugh................... ......

Why don't you go into further detail about your "proper nutrient timing methods"  ::) Would love to hear this one.