Author Topic: Say no to Sandy Aide, say no to minimum wage increase.  (Read 2181 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Say no to Sandy Aide, say no to minimum wage increase.
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:13 AM »
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/house-republicans-unanimously-vote-down-minimum-wage-hike

Voted down like a boss, small businesses wouldn't be able to hire apparently. Meanwhile back in reality Costco is shitting in their mouths with this philosophy and Henry Ford thinks you are a retard. There is a tipping point obviously with respect to paying to much, but this is absurd, 9 bucks an hour?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
Re: Say no to Sandy Aide, say no to minimum wage increase.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »
Well, what do you think it should be?

Not all small business owners can afford an artificial hike in the cost of labor or the off shoot that come from increased input costs. Is the world going to melt down if Min. Wage goes to 9 bucks an hour? Probably not, but this whole issue is another distraction and misdirection.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »
They think every business is racking in billions of dollars.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Why is the government making it their business to force an artificial wage floor on the economy?

Why does government force minimum wage but doesn't enforce a ceiling on all occupations, including themselves?

What proof is there that a minimum wage helps the economy at all?

Why not allow the market to determine by itself what the wages should be?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
Why is the government making it their business to force an artificial wage floor on the economy?

Why does government force minimum wage but doesn't enforce a ceiling on all occupations, including themselves?

What proof is there that a minimum wage helps the economy at all?

Why not allow the market to determine by itself what the wages should be?

The Federal Government is slowly but surely destroying the ability for small businesses to exist or to even start and maybe medium sized businesses are next. The large mega-corporations are loving this as it allows them to further monopolize the market.

That is the ultimate goal, eliminate competition via:

-Raising barriers to entry for markets
-Using lobbying to create regulations/taxes/artificial wage hikes etc. the make it prohibitive for businesses to start, expand or move into other markets
-Anything related to the above.

The % of people in the U.S. that work for small/med. sized businesses will continue to decrease. That's bad. Real bad.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/house-republicans-unanimously-vote-down-minimum-wage-hike

Voted down like a boss, small businesses wouldn't be able to hire apparently. Meanwhile back in reality Costco is shitting in their mouths with this philosophy and Henry Ford thinks you are a retard. There is a tipping point obviously with respect to paying to much, but this is absurd, 9 bucks an hour?
Just because one business pays their workers more does not mean anything.  If the minimum wage is increased, then the price of ALL GOODS for everyone else will be increased as well.  Why wouldn`t it be?  A retailer or service provider now knows you and everyone else will have a bit more money in their pocket so why not raise the cost of milk or lettuce another dollar or two?

Bad idea all around.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »
Just because one business pays their workers more does not mean anything.  If the minimum wage is increased, then the price of ALL GOODS for everyone else will be increased as well.  Why wouldn`t it be?  A retailer or service provider now knows you and everyone else will have a bit more money in their pocket so why not raise the cost of milk or lettuce another dollar or two?

Bad idea all around.

Wouldn't that leave them vulnerable to be outdone by a competitor?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
Look at places like California and New York where everyone gets paid more for crappy jobs even and look how expensive it is to live there, just to eat.  People literally live on top of each other in 500 square feet of nonsense for a million dollars and more. Fuck no.  I will have none of that. This is what happens when you artificially start raising wages, the costs of everything go up.

I do not want the rest of the country looking like New York or California at all.  I hate those places.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
Wouldn't that leave them vulnerable to be outdone by a competitor?
Not if everyone raises the price which is what happens.  I can`t think of a lone product today that undercuts every other competitors product so much, that there is a huge difference. Can you?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
Not if everyone raises the price which is what happens.  I can`t think of a lone product today that undercuts every other competitors product so much, that there is a huge difference. Can you?

Then I'd say it would leave the door open all the wider for such a thing. 

Is the argument that people would stop trying to make money?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »
I appreciate this argument and understand the varying points of view.....but, any increase in the price of inputs/labor will always be passed along to the consumer.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
Then I'd say it would leave the door open all the wider for such a thing. 

Is the argument that people would stop trying to make money?
No, the argument is that people will make the same or more money because companies and corporations will know they can get it because of a wage increase.

Do you want to pay 6 dollars for milk or lettuce?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »
To make it perfectly clear, we're all on the same page with this.  We don't want to see our fellow citizens scrounging to live.  We just have different ideas about trying to accomplish it.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
No, the argument is that people will make the same or more money because companies and corporations will know they can get it because of a wage increase.

Do you want to pay 6 dollars for milk or lettuce?

So you'd suggest that there would be an increase in illegal collusion?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
So you'd suggest that there would be an increase in illegal collusion?
Nope.  If I knew you had 10 dollar in your pocket every week and now you have 15 dollars in your pocket every week, I would raise the price of my trinket to coincide with the fact that you have more money to spend.

Its a simple numbers game.  If I know that whatever million people are going to have more money to spend, I can raise the price of say, entry level goods, such as food a bit more.  Now that everyone has more money to spend and the minimum bottom line can be easily met, I can make more profit by raising the price of my goods.  Nothing illegal, just inflating the price a bit to make more profit because I know more people have greater purchasing power.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
Nope.  If I knew you had 10 dollar in your pocket every week and now you have 15 dollars in your pocket every week, I would raise the price of my trinket to coincide with the fact that you have more money to spend.

Its a simple numbers game.  If I know that whatever million people are going to have more money to spend, I can raise the price of say, entry level goods, such as food a bit more.  Now that everyone has more money to spend and the minimum bottom line can be easily met, I can make more profit by raising the price of my goods.  Nothing illegal, just inflating the price a bit to make more profit because I know more people have greater purchasing power.

If that's the case, then why aren't businesses behind it?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
This is a game being run on people, trying to cause them to process information in a certain way.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
Don't be fooled.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
If that's the case, then why aren't businesses behind it?
Because they don`t want to pay their workers any more than they have to.  Plus they don`t want to raise the cost of living any more than it already is.  Its unnecessary.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »
I'm not for all of these wage increases, but none of my guys that work for me make under $12hr so it only affects me indirectly.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
I'm not for all of these wage increases, but none of my guys that work for me make under $12hr so it only affects me indirectly.
IF you were hiring and someone came to you with the necessary qualifications and said, I will do the same job for 9 dollars an hour, I don`t need the 12, would you hire him instead.  Just curious really.  I think more people should do that in general.  Go on a job interview and say they will take less than the salary being offered.  I bet they get hired faster.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 02:19:42 PM »
Because they don`t want to pay their workers any more than they have to.  Plus they don`t want to raise the cost of living any more than it already is.  Its unnecessary.

I'd say you nailed it, right here.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
IF you were hiring and someone came to you with the necessary qualifications and said, I will do the same job for 9 dollars an hour, I don`t need the 12, would you hire him instead.  Just curious really.  I think more people should do that in general.  Go on a job interview and say they will take less than the salary being offered.  I bet they get hired faster.

Bump for an answer from IG400.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »

You mean the Sandy Aid bill that had more pork than a Texas BBQ in July?

As for the minimum wage, you seem to forget that such will lead only to hours being cut, people getting laid/off and the cost passed to the consumer.

Besides, minimum wage isn't designed to ensure someone can make a living. When I started working, minimum wage was was $3.75. That's designed for part-time jobs for high-school and college kids, NOT to survive or raise a family.

Hence, it's another motivator to get a decent education.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »

Bad idea all around.

I'd never thought I'd say this about an Adonis post but.....AAAAAAAMEN!!