Author Topic: Morning cardio  (Read 12222 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Morning cardio
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:22:29 PM »
I think I'm going to go to start doing morning cardio to lose some fat.  What should I eat before morning cardio? 

AVBG

Re: Morning cardio
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:58 PM »
nothing, just have some bcaa's and coffee

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 07:27:20 AM »
Not much – if any – science to support this, but cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the a.m. has always worked best for me when losing fat.

Even when I didn’t drink coffee prior, 45-60 min. of moderate intensity first thing worked wonders.

But knowing more now, I agree with AVBG – consume coffee and aminos before starting. The first time I tried this method some years ago, I am almost certain that I burned through some muscle.
Adjust the rest of your diet accordingly.

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
Something to ponder;

You stop eating the night before around 8-9:00, sleep 8 hours or so, get up and do a long slow sustained cardio session with no energy source. Why do "cardio" when you don't have the energy to do it. Stick with HIIT after your weight training, carbs before and post workout.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 09:52:53 AM »
Something to ponder;

You stop eating the night before around 8-9:00, sleep 8 hours or so, get up and do a long slow sustained cardio session with no energy source. Why do "cardio" when you don't have the energy to do it. Stick with HIIT after your weight training, carbs before and post workout.

maybe the cardio is low intensity and therefor the fuel it gets from stored bodyfat will be enough and no need to breakdown musclemass for additional fuel?
tank u jesus

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »
Not sure how similar it is to HIIT, but the Tabata cardio protocol is also very effective. The system, which takes just under 4 minutes to complete, has been shown in clinical studies to have a greater impact on burning stored fat as well as greater muscle sparing effects than conventional 45 min. moderate int. cardio.

In fact, I’ve been relying on it the last two months – primarily due to time constraints – and am pleased with its results. Since I’ve not made it into the gym as frequently as when dieting in years past, I cannot make an accurate personal comparison between the two systems.

Suffice to say that both work. Which works better may depend on the individual, as it often does with many things we do in the gym. Someday I hope to find out for myself which works best.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »
theres actually plenty of science to back up morning cardio.

its very good at burning off adipose... but it also poses some risk as potentially causing the loss of some skeletal muscle...albeit a very limited amount...

a good idea would be a small amoutn of fat free carb free protein, preferably casein, with some fish oil, and a small amount of caffiene, (possibly some EGCG and/or sesamine as well ), about 30 mins prior to cardio.  dirnking lots of water will help to prevent muscle loss, as well as to keep fat utilization efficient.

anywhere from 5 minutes to one hour of low intensity cardio can be beneficial. depending on your goals.

off season i ride a stationary bike for maybe 5-10 minutes first thing every morning...   i feel this just helps a little bit with insulin sensitivty during my first meal. i dont really think it does TOO much difference. but its something to try. 

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
Doing cardio first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, before you eat anything, is by far, the most effective.  When you do your cardio workout, you are burning calories. Lets say you wake up, eat breakfast, eat lunch later in the day, and then a few hours after lunch, you do your cardio. All you will be doing during that cardio is burning the calories and carbs of the food you  ate during the day. When you do cardio first thing in the morning, you haven't eaten anything for the last 8 or so hours because you were sleeping. So, when your body sees that there are no carbs to burn, it goes directly to stored bodyfat. And stored bodyfat is the fat that is on your body, which is the fat that you want to lose!

Masters- 50-54
148#

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:40:08 PM »
I think I'm going to go to start doing morning cardio to lose some fat.  What should I eat before morning cardio? 

doesnt matter for fatloss if you do morning cardio or not. no exercising can raise fatburning over a 24hour period. if you do cardio on an empty stomach in the morning you will burn more fat during that time period but the rest of the day you will be burnng more 'carbs', so in the end it doesnt matter.

so if you do cardio in the morning do it for the right reasons = you like to get a good start to the day.

the important thing is to create a caloric deficit. (reducing caloric intake and adding cardio whenever you want)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
in other words it doesnt matter if your burning 'carbs' or fat during your cardio as long as a caloric deficit is achieved.

fat burning zone is also shit. its not a myth but it doesnt matter as long as you achieve a caloric deficit.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:21 PM »

indeed you burn more fat if you do it on an empty stomach. but  at the end of the day it doesnt matter what substrate (dont wanna burn muscle tho) your burning as no exercise can increas fat burning to a significant degree over a 24 hour period.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:41 PM »

its very good at burning off adipose...

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »

you still have to achieve a caloric deficit. thus see my comments above

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 02:03:32 PM »
theres actually plenty of science to back up morning cardio. its very good at burning off adipose... but it also poses some risk as potentially causing the loss of some skeletal muscle...albeit a very limited amount...

a good idea would be a small amoutn of fat free carb free protein, preferably casein, with some fish oil, and a small amount of caffiene, (possibly some EGCG and/or sesamine as well ), about 30 mins prior to cardio.  dirnking lots of water will help to prevent muscle loss, as well as to keep fat utilization efficient.

anywhere from 5 minutes to one hour of low intensity cardio can be beneficial. depending on your goals.

off season i ride a stationary bike for maybe 5-10 minutes first thing every morning...   i feel this just helps a little bit with insulin sensitivty during my first meal. i dont really think it does TOO much difference. but its something to try. 

Show me published case studies.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
you still have to achieve a caloric deficit. thus see my comments above
well do you consider morning cardio part of calories in vs. calories out ?  i dont.  and if you dont, then you can lose fat on maintanence calories or slightly above...using morning cardio as the fat burner

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 02:06:43 PM »
Show me published case studies.
a case study showing what exactly ?

the science is based on the metabolic state you are in immidietly upon rising... and the effcts of morning cardio on insulin sensitivty throughout the day...   

i doubt you have ever read any real endrocrinology journals ANYWASY coach.. so please STFU and go back to your celebrity clients who you give clen to and make do sprint and call yoruself genius cuz they arent fat slobs after following your "methods"

The Coach

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
a case study showing what exactly ?

the science is based on the metabolic state you are in immidietly upon rising... and the effcts of morning cardio on insulin sensitivty throughout the day...   

i doubt you have ever read any real endrocrinology journals ANYWASY coach.. so please STFU and go back to your celebrity clients who you give clen to and make do sprint and call yoruself genius cuz they arent fat slobs after following your "methods"

Dude, don't meltdown because you can't prove it. You need to hit at least 2-3 seminars per year by experts in the field, attend some conferences by the people who have actually written the studies and had them published. It makes a difference.

BTW, I don't give or advocate any stimulants to any of my clients especially my athletes.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »
well do you consider morning cardio part of calories in vs. calories out ?  i dont.  and if you dont, then you can lose fat on maintanence calories or slightly above...using morning cardio as the fat burner

i consider cardio as a tool to burn calories. doesnt really matter if you burn fat or 'carbs' when your doing cardio. (and no need to make extreme interpretations of this statement)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »
Dude, don't meltdown because you can't prove it. You need to hit at least 2-3 seminars per year by experts in the field, attend some conferences by the people who have actually written the studies and had them published. It makes a difference.

BTW, I don't give or advocate any stimulants to any of my clients especially my athletes.
are you referecning clenbuterol ?     ;D

come on joe..

why dont you do some research on what kind of metabolic state you are in when you wake up joe

that will point you in a right direction

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 02:21:02 PM »
i consider cardio as a tool to burn calories. doesnt really matter if you burn fat or 'carbs' when your doing cardio. (and no need to make extreme interpretations of this statement)

i see

i view cardio as tool to burn fat

i do it when i know i am burning fat

morning and post workout

i dont know how many calories of fat i am burning, but i know i am burning fat

as for my caloric intake, i eat enough to fuel my body, not enough to have any store as fat, and i do so every few hours. (this is when dieting)... so i am eating pretty muc "maintanence calories"...but i just utlize the time periods in my day when i can burn fat to burn fat...

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »
i see

i view cardio as tool to burn fat

i do it when i know i am burning fat

morning and post workout

i dont know how many calories of fat i am burning, but i know i am burning fat

as for my caloric intake, i eat enough to fuel my body, not enough to have any store as fat, and i do so every few hours. (this is when dieting)... so i am eating pretty muc "maintanence calories"...but i just utlize the time periods in my day when i can burn fat to burn fat...

i wouldnt do cardio straight after a workout. thats dumb. after a workout you need to get protein and food in your system. thats the worst time you could do cardio...straight after a workout. (even if you drink  a protein shake in between)

as for what you do and dont do. doesnt interest me at all.  ;)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »
i wouldnt do cardio straight after a workout. thats dumb. after a workout you need to get protein and food in your system. thats the worst time you could do cardio...straight after a workout. (even if you drink  a protein shake in between)

post workou is arguably THE BEST time you can do cardio.

theres no reason to rush straight to a protein shake.

... the growth signals from training dont dissapate in 45 mins..  :D

and as long as your no training on AN EMPTY STOMACH (lol !) youll have protein digesting in your intestines while your doing the post workout cardio ... so "muscle wasting" is a total non issue

The Coach

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 02:35:41 PM »

as for what you do and dont do. doesnt interest me at all.  ;)

What do you base than on?

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 02:36:13 PM »
watch out, you are burning....

::) ::) ::) SKELETAL MUSCLE  ::) ::) ::)