davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Traps
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:30:34 AM »
Hey guys i do traps on fridays with chest and bi's. I do 9 sets for them:
BB shrug
Seated Db shrug
BB behind back shrug...........every rep i try hold and squeeze at the top of the rep.

I know alot of guys do them at the end of their shoulder workout as sum of u may believe shrugs hit the delts hard?! but by doing them seperate am i working the delts too hard or is that fine????

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Traps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 10:37:14 AM »
I do them on back day at the end. I never agreed with them on shoulder day, it makes no sense. and since doing them on backday they grew like weeds. i'll do 3-4 working sets with a warmup set to start. just ONE excersise, i'll either pick dumbells (standing or seated), Barbell, or smith. and leave your ego at home....shrug properly and they will grow. sometimes for barbell i don't go any heavier than 275. Hold the squeeze at the top and come down for a full stretch, do them super slow and controlled. then once you have that down you can go heavy and not look like the rest of the dumbasses that don't have a clue what they are doing.
bodybuildersreality.com

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:43:47 AM »
I do them on back day at the end. I never agreed with them on shoulder day, it makes no sense. and since doing them on backday they grew like weeds. i'll do 3-4 working sets with a warmup set to start. just ONE excersise, i'll either pick dumbells (standing or seated), Barbell, or smith. and leave your ego at home....shrug properly and they will grow. sometimes for barbell i don't go any heavier than 275. Hold the squeeze at the top and come down for a full stretch, do them super slow and controlled. then once you have that down you can go heavy and not look like the rest of the dumbasses that don't have a clue what they are doing.

yeh thers guys in my gym that pile on the weight (mailny young guys) and just flick their shoulders back. every rep of each exercsie i try get shoulders as high as possible, and hold then lower and repeat.
I can only get 3 days a week in the gym and split looks like this
MON=back/shoulders/tris
WED=legs
FRI=chest/traps/bis.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:48:46 AM »
ah I see. then i would just cut back on the amount of sets for them. im just telling you what worked for me. I used to do them on shoulder day and chest day and do 6 sets each time i did them. now i just do the 3 sets on back day and it really worked for me. especially on the overall thickness of them.
bodybuildersreality.com

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 11:26:38 AM »
9 sets? 3-4 work fine for me, as a matter of fact, I stopped training traps because they got too big!  :o
~

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 11:38:40 AM »
i used to train traps on shoulder days for 4-5 sets and sometimes 6 total and haven't gotten any kinda growth since...

so now i'm bumping them up to 10 sets twice a week and working them like calves.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »
i train traps with back. but i only do  BB and DB shrugs. after doing rows, deads and chins. your traps is going to be  fried.. so i just do  the two heads.

I've started doing walking lungs and noticed after a set. your traps are killing you

so theres alot of indirct movements that hit the traps..

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »
5 sets of good 'ol barbell shrugs to the front at the end of shoulders and my traps are almost too big for my body.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 04:51:21 PM »
i do traps with back... i never do more than 5 sets total... alternating between movements from week to week.... my traps are big... enough said...

everlast is a wiener

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »
5 sets of good 'ol barbell shrugs to the front at the end of shoulders and my traps are almost too big for my body.

just like your head   ::)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 08:41:21 PM »
i take it you guys are seeing better results training them on back day instead of shoulder day huh ...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 01:06:04 AM »
I do 5-6 sets as part of back. I alternate between front and rear grip and the last set is a speed set as many as i can go until failure with 315 on the hammer strength bench press. I was going twice a week with a second as part of shoulders but it was killing my rear delts. Heavy and strict seems to work. I can't do em with back because of the deads.
L

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »
i take it you guys are seeing better results training them on back day instead of shoulder day huh ...
I am.
bodybuildersreality.com

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 03:18:30 AM »
me too, plus they don't reduce my focus on shoulder day