Author Topic: Incline bench help  (Read 2255 times)

andrew

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Incline bench help
« on: October 08, 2006, 02:10:27 PM »
I need a little more mass in the upper chest area can anybody help with a good incline bench program for more mass

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
Re: Incline bench help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:13:17 PM »
I need a little more mass in the upper chest area can anybody help with a good incline bench program for more mass
5 sets of barbell inclines at the beginning of your chest workout 6 reps, one thing i've been doing lately is doing my inclines in the rack starting them at the bottom and dead stopping on every rep, my upper chest gets sore to the touch the day after these.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 02:48:19 PM »
try flies with dumbells. they do the chest good!   8)

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:36:20 PM »
heres a good routine

incline bench
flat bench
incline flyes

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »
Like sarcasm said, start your training with incline press...I like alternating between BB and DB. Other then that, consistency is the biggest thing. I know, kind of a smart ass answer, but that's really all there is too it...no magic routine, no magic exercise.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:04:33 AM »
Do you train your shoulders?

They make up a big part of the upper area.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:23:04 AM »
Dumbell Incline presses.  Use a spoter as you might have trouble getting them up for the first rep.  Have your spotter lift from you elbows to assist you. Then do 10-12 reps.  Just keep building yourself up and with time you will be lifting 100lb + dumbells, and you will have a thick upper chest. 

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 09:32:20 AM »
There's a great upper-inner chest builder/shaper I invented. It's called the Figgy Flye, and don't forget it!

Starting position: You lie down sideways on an incline bench and the end of the bench should be under your armpit. With a light weight in hand, your arm should be dangling straight down underneath you. Your other arm should be holding on to the bench, keeping your body completely still (until cheating is necessary).
Movement: Bring your arm straight up in front of you and feeeeeel your upper-inner chest squeeeeeze! Pause at the top in the peak of the contraction. And slowly return to the starting position. And go to ABSOLUTE FAILURE!!!! If your arm can't complete a rep on it's own, get your spare arm to help just the slightest bit in the lift!

The results?
~

Big Dan

• Getbig I
  • Live to live better
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 09:49:58 AM »
lots of great ideas. Of course start with incline, I prefer barbell, but after doing 4 or 5 sets up to your heaviest weight, then do a three step drop set. This will help burn out the upper chest before starting the flat bench.
The power to do anything

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 01:18:29 PM »
Like sarcasm said, start your training with incline press...I like alternating between BB and DB. Other then that, consistency is the biggest thing. I know, kind of a smart ass answer, but that's really all there is too it...no magic routine, no magic exercise.

you could also do both the barbell and dumbells on the incline in the same workout. 
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

SuperStu

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:07:52 AM »
lots of great ideas. Of course start with incline, I prefer barbell, but after doing 4 or 5 sets up to your heaviest weight, then do a three step drop set. This will help burn out the upper chest before starting the flat bench.
way too many sets before going to anything else. IMO that a fast ticket to overtraining the chest. especially if your still going to flat press and then flye movements. too much.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 02:27:19 PM »
changing your grip could be a big one. i go fairly closer on incline and come all the way down for a full stretch. the closer your hands the more stretch you will get.
bodybuildersreality.com

andrew

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 02:50:47 PM »
thanks for the ideas I tried the 5 sets of six and did it for an easy 265 but it started to feel real hard in the last two

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 12:43:47 PM »
My advice,
Stick to dumbells, as you start doing heavier weights with barbells you risk  damaging your shoulders.  Plus with dumbells you can push yourself to failure without a spotter, unlike barbells where if you have no spotter you will be in a compromising situation.  It takes more muscles to balance dumbells resulting in greater gains. 

tab1

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »
All good advise. Also, try doing heavy inclines in the rack. After a couple of your heavy work sets, take a little weight off and use bands. Or if your gym has chains try using those to increase your strength and build mass,

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 04:33:00 AM »
don't forget the importance of proper stretching and ROM when pressing or doing flies

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 09:22:52 AM »
Incline BB presses in a power rack by all means. Most influence on the upper pec's will depend on the angle of the incline bench. Might try different version or angled benched to see what suits you the best. May even have to raise the angle with a block of wood, BB plates, etc to get that proper angle. Try different hand spacings. Some guy's here, where I train, do a couple sets of wide , medium and close grip inclines (also flat benching) for their incline workout.

DB's will give a better stretch and affect the upper pec's in a little different manner than a BB will. If you can set up a pec deck for inclines than so much the better. The muscle leverage is very superior to regular fly's or cable fly's for that matter. The point of resistence in on the point of the elbows, which is desired, not on the hands. If not working with a pec deck, than cable fly's are the next best thing, way over DB fly's. Might also want to drop all other chest exercises and focus on just these incline movements. You will not lose any size in this regard.

Might try:

Incline BB...power rack, if you have one
Incline DB's
Incline Cable..prefer pec deck if you have one and can set it up correctly

two sets each (three if you must..max)...7-10 reps, twice a week.  Good Luck.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »

The incline bench has always been superior to the flat bench.  Heres a tip, use db's instead of a bar every other chest workout.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo