Author Topic: Watched a repeat of the cowboys game earlier  (Read 1255 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Watched a repeat of the cowboys game earlier
« on: October 09, 2006, 05:22:03 PM »
Iv alwasy liked football but b/c im from scotland its never beena  major sport here.
I was watching the repeat of cowboys game (interception 102 yard return with 38 seconds on the clock....WOW).

I was wandering, there seems to be general workouts for football players built round normal lifts plus alot of cleans etc. Then u get guys like terrall ownes who seem to work off a normal bodybuilding split??

I know diff positions need slightly diff things but in general do u think football players follow bodybuilding workouts split/programs or football based programs/splits??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Watched a repeat of the cowboys game earlier
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:41:49 AM »
I believe there is an  European American football league team from Scotland. Or there was.

American football training envolves athletic, core movements including all forms of pulls and pushing. Linemen, for example, need short range pushing (shoving) and pulling (grabbing) power to direct, or block, their opponent to which even direction they want them. A good blocking lineman could direct the man he's working  against into the hot dog stand, off feild, if he wanted to. Sometime a lineman must block two men at the same time. Leg and the important hip movement are also important factor for any position on a team. One of the most vital factors  can be knowing body leverage/balance and how to use it at different playing times. Quickness is another important element, which is stress in training over and over again.

Their training is more in line with power lifting and Olympic lifting movements. Exceptions at times, depending on the strength coaches ideas. Lot's of supplemental exercises can also be included. General BB'ing exercises or splits really have no room when serious athletic training is concerned. They may help off season, but not included, as a genera rule, when the season starts.

Don't know TO's general training style but I would guess he does what the strength coach(s) and injury therapist recommends. Not anything connected to general BB'ing. TO is what is called a wide body. Large broad frame, tall, powerful and muscular. Some NBA players are like that.

Personal note: TO appears to be a head case. Not a stupid man and very gifted as an athlete, his emotional stability is much in question. Like a child in a man's body. He was the star in a Super Bowl game a few seasons back, even playing with a serious leg problem. But of late (when he's playing) he does tend to drop or miss catchable balls thrown his way. He is mostly used as a decoy in a lot of play formations, of late. Wonder where he will be next year?

Good Luck.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:50:15 AM »
i think there was an article in MF  a while back about TO's split. pretty pussy if u ask me, i think it was like 2 exercises for 2-3 sets, in the 10-15 rep range. didnt rember seeing any squats, cleand, deads, or anything hard. im pretty sure it was like bench, pushdowns, lat raises,curls, and alot of abs. i dont understand why these guys dont do power movements you dont have to go heavy if ur afraid of gaining 2 much mass. but it would give alot more strength

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:03:18 AM »
i think there was an article in MF  a while back about TO's split. pretty pussy if u ask me, i think it was like 2 exercises for 2-3 sets, in the 10-15 rep range. didnt rember seeing any squats, cleand, deads, or anything hard. im pretty sure it was like bench, pushdowns, lat raises,curls, and alot of abs. i dont understand why these guys dont do power movements you dont have to go heavy if ur afraid of gaining 2 much mass. but it would give alot more strength

And yet he's 100x the athlete you'll ever be.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »
i never said he wasnt, all i said was hes a pussy. big diff. and if he was an athlete he would be good at alot of sports hes very 1 dimentional. he says his love is for basketball. well if he was such an athlete why is he not playing b ball. exactly because he cant transition his talent. an athlete is some 1 that is good at all things.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:58:24 AM »
yeh i didnt really think those guys used bodybuidling splits either.
JPM uv been invloved alot with american football playing/training of athletes. Do the guys who use more football based programs, do they use them just to maintain strength/size levels or are they used for bulking purposes aswell??

davie

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 04:06:01 AM »
Just curious????

davie

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 06:01:25 AM »
. he says his love is for basketball. well if he was such an athlete why is he not playing b ball.

Because he is a better football player. At 6'3" he would probably be a point guard because he would be too short for shooting guard or small forward and at 225 pounds he wouldn't be quick enough to play the point. He is built to play football not basketball.
The House that Ruth built

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 08:19:53 AM »
Davie: Football style programs could be use for any purpose, strength, size or stamina (endurance + strength). Depends what the personal goal is. Based on a combination of the serious compound lift, it's one way to encourage full potentional for muscular growth. Any where from 3 to 20 reps can give different results. Six to twelve weeks training, with between 10 to 20lb weight gain, is not uncommon on guy's who need more body mass. Some will gain much more in that period, some less , depending on their potentional.

Top athlete's are not always BB strong, like big benchers, squaters or DL'ers. It's something that is hard to measure by just the weight they use for an exercise. They take full advantage of functional strength developed doing there sport/event training. Of course they are much better in the long run when serious weight training is used. Functional strength is something like doing a standing one arm DB curl with 60lbs for reps. Most BB'ers, with a little experience, can accomplish that very well. But try doing the same 60lbs with a Olympic BB, gripping the center of the bar. Balance, leverage, etc come into play strongly. Many other supporting muscle are called into play that are not used that much. Or try squating with 250lbs, easy for most. Now try squating while holding that 250 overhead at arm's length. Not the best examples of functional strength, but close. That's one of the reasons core strength is so important to lifters and athletes.  Wrestler's come to mind as developing outstanding functional strength. Good Luck.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 09:27:26 AM »
Cheers bud. As u know i used ur breathing squat routine and enjoyed it tho found it vvv intense, not something i would do all the time.

At the mo i am using a football style routine which i hope will yield good results in size and strength?!

davie