Author Topic: What is the difference between Leg Press and Squat?  (Read 2033 times)

Carter

• Getbig II
What is the difference between Leg Press and Squat?
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »
Hi,

I've been doing 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of Leg Press (45 degree, the machine says squat press i am confused, am a novice body builder.)

It seems that it hits the same muscle groups? My quads that is. though I feel minimal tension on my glutes.

Can I do one of those? Or should I do both? The motion seems to be the same.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: What is the difference between Leg Press and Squat?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:06:20 PM »
Hi,

I've been doing 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of Leg Press (45 degree, the machine says squat press i am confused, am a novice body builder.)

It seems that it hits the same muscle groups? My quads that is. though I feel minimal tension on my glutes.

The overall stress on the body is not the same for both exercises.  It’s a physics thing.
Remember in the leg press only your legs and hips actually support the weight. In the squat all of the musculature of the back, delts, and traps are stressed to varying degrees.

Use both, however, I would not recommend using both on the same day at maximum weight. 

:

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »
They're a good complement to use together; one after another really blows up the lower body. Squats the most important & effective for most, done first followed by leg press, that hits the quads from a different angle.

Some people find squats hit the lower back too much and not the quads as much, in which case front squats or hacks are a nice substitute. Using a smith machine with any squat motion works better for some people.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 03:54:47 AM »
squats will hit the lower back somewhat also which is not a bad thing!

unless you Alexxx looking for an excuse not to do them, (fag)

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:00:03 PM »
I do squats and leg press in the same workout, but for variation and time of taking all the plates off. I only do 1 legged leg press for more concentration on the muscles, and your only relying on the 1 leg at a time, no worry of the stronger leg taking up the slack for the weeker.
Just spot me BITCH!!!

PUMBA

• Getbig I
  • www.bioflexnutrition.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 04:44:27 PM »
As has been stated, Squats recruit more muscles for balance and stability. Leg Press is handy because you can play with angles more and there is more room for experimantaion, so for the area of putting in the fina touches thet are great. But IMO Squats are not replacable, they are a great mass builder.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »
I can Leg Press 720 lbs for 10+ reps...  If I even attempted to squat that much...  I'd be killed!  That's the difference!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:48:33 PM »
I can Leg Press 720 lbs for 10+ reps...  If I even attempted to squat that much...  I'd be killed!  That's the difference!
haha! there ya go.
bodybuildersreality.com

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 07:49:52 PM »
as a novice you might be able to get away with doing one exercise or the other (I'd pick squats), but if you do be sure to go all the way down (don't be an assclown and do quarter squats), go as low as you can go. Don't be afraid of doing really low weights at first, you are a novice but keep in mind you want to wear your legs out with weight, not volume.

Seriously, if I could squat what I can press.... that would be awesome

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 04:26:47 AM »
Hi,

if you do not feel major work in your glutes while squating then you are not going low enough...

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 03:00:53 AM »
I prefer using Smithmachine squats and then leg presses. It takes the balance issue out of things and means you can solely concentrate on using as much weight as possible in both exercises. With good form of course.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 05:38:04 AM »
I prefer using Smithmachine squats and then leg presses. It takes the balance issue out of things and means you can solely concentrate on using as much weight as possible in both exercises. With good form of course.

what you're doing is a smith machine press.... squats are done with a barbell

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 08:48:08 AM »
Feel free to use both the squat and leg press in the same workout. In fact, Art Jones (among others) suggest that  leg extensions, leg presses and squats, be done it that order. One right after another in tri set style. Excellent muscle builder. I and some Bud's have used it in the past with good results. Might want to take a little caution when first trying this type of training, very demanding on the body (CNS). Throw in standing leg curls and manuel lying leg curls for the ham's after the tri set's are done.

Depending on what type of leg press device your using, the main focus will be on the quads and the hips to a lesser degree. The back is braced quite well. Squats put greater demand on balance and a excess of supporting muscles, more than the leg press would ever do. Simply because the weight load is resting on the top part of the body (neck/traps/shoulders) making it more of a gravity resistence and balance exercise. And there is no brace or support for the back. Squats take much more energy than the leg press. When done right, the squat can add muscular weight to the entire body as well as increasing the cardio abilities to a higher level. Really no need to go arse to ankles when squating, no extra benefits.

Everyone is build different and leg bone length, muscle inserts, etc will have a bearing on how squating will affect the muscle involved. So does squating styles, high on neck/traps...low on the middle traps, etc. Shorter men seem to have a better body design advantage when squating. Some guy's will feel  squats in the quads but not the glutes and some the other way around, etc, etc, etc.. If squating with the heels raised on a 2" block, for example, more of the focus will be on the quads themselves. Front squats are another example where the quads take the blunt of the work. Good Luck.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 08:58:24 AM »
i used to love to leg extension, leg press and then squat.  whole different feel.  also i'd train ham's first every other workout, then quads.  that really made things fire different.  then some days i'd pedal a bike 20 minutes, then 10 sets of squats.  change the shiat up!  but never quit squats until the knees are blown like mine.  ha.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 09:43:28 AM »

hahahaha, I read it as squat 720 lbs for 10+ reps at first and I thought, oh geez....another Adonis. But yeah, I love doing both, blows up the quads real nice.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 09:50:03 AM »
hahahaha, I read it as squat 720 lbs for 10+ reps at first and I thought, oh geez....another Adonis. But yeah, I love doing both, blows up the quads real nice.
Yea and dont forget his ASS TO GROUND.. ::)
p