Author Topic: Reality check due.  (Read 7847 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Reality check due.
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »
We survived the Olympia and what stands out is the extremes that many go to in an attempt to win or place well in contests. It doesn't matter if it is the Olympia or the Mountaineer. Guys are using and abusing and many are getting injured for their trouble. Ronnie looks like he is tearing up all over. That really is sad to see. At the other end of the spectrum Goodrum is suffering for the sport. You really have to wonder what motivates so many to do such extreme practices and/or heavy training. I have had the misfortune to have torn a biceps and so I try to warn others not to mess with really heavy weights in dangerous exercises such as deadlifts. Why would a Mr Olympia use anything over 500 pounds in his training? 800 pound deadlifts are lunacy. Sooner or later you will damage something. Ditto for heavy squats. Arthur Jones told us not to demonstrate strength and therefore not to do any set for less than about 5 reps.

I have no idea what the champs are taking to be competitive on stage. The lineup at the Olympia was the best ever and most presented with a combination of outstanding size with definition. Never before have so many incredible backs been on the one stage. The standard they set filters down to the rank and file who might overdo drugs in an attempt to win local contests. When virtual beginners present with gynecomastia it is a sad sight. I have witnessed that in my own gym when a junior had that problem. I asked him who advised him on drugs because I tell anyone even thinking about it to go to a sports doctor who knows something about this. Well, the young fella said he followed the advice of the guy who sold him the steroids! At the time this young fellow was training with a former Mr Australia and I assumed that is where he got his information from. Nope, he got it from a pusher.

The desire to transcend oneself and become a mister someone is strong in many men and bodybuilding can help us achieve that goal. However, it appears the price may be too high. Side effects and now injuries are commonplace in the sport. When the novices and juniors present with these problems what does that say about the sport? I know this has been said many times before on Getbig but I do worry about everyone who has to use extreme measures in the hope they can win a contest someday. I doubt many of us would want to be a professional and have to endure what is required by that level.

jwb

• Getbig V
Re: Reality check due.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:59:56 PM »
We survived the Olympia and what stands out is the extremes that many go to in an attempt to win or place well in contests. It doesn't matter if it is the Olympia or the Mountaineer. Guys are using and abusing and many are getting injured for their trouble. Ronnie looks like he is tearing up all over. That really is sad to see. At the other end of the spectrum Goodrum is suffering for the sport. You really have to wonder what motivates so many to do such extreme practices and/or heavy training. I have had the misfortune to have torn a biceps and so I try to warn others not to mess with really heavy weights in dangerous exercises such as deadlifts. Why would a Mr Olympia use anything over 500 pounds in his training? 800 pound deadlifts are lunacy. Sooner or later you will damage something. Ditto for heavy squats. Arthur Jones told us not to demonstrate strength and therefore not to do any set for less than about 5 reps.

I have no idea what the champs are taking to be competitive on stage. The lineup at the Olympia was the best ever and most presented with a combination of outstanding size with definition. Never before have so many incredible backs been on the one stage. The standard they set filters down to the rank and file who might overdo drugs in an attempt to win local contests. When virtual beginners present with gynecomastia it is a sad sight. I have witnessed that in my own gym when a junior had that problem. I asked him who advised him on drugs because I tell anyone even thinking about it to go to a sports doctor who knows something about this. Well, the young fella said he followed the advice of the guy who sold him the steroids! At the time this young fellow was training with a former Mr Australia and I assumed that is where he got his information from. Nope, he got it from a pusher.

The desire to transcend oneself and become a mister someone is strong in many men and bodybuilding can help us achieve that goal. However, it appears the price may be too high. Side effects and now injuries are commonplace in the sport. When the novices and juniors present with these problems what does that say about the sport? I know this has been said many times before on Getbig but I do worry about everyone who has to use extreme measures in the hope they can win a contest someday. I doubt many of us would want to be a professional and have to endure what is required by that level.

you are gonna get hammered for this deep one VB...

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 05:08:11 PM »
one thing i agree with you on: this years olympia lineup was easily the best of all time.....i hate it when douchbags come on here and say that bodybuilding sucks now compared to the 90's.....no one from the 90's would have even been in the top 6.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 05:43:40 PM »
Vince, gynecomaestia is common in puberty

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 07:17:23 PM »
Gynecomastia wasn't present in that young guy because I took photos of him after a junior contest. He develop that condition when he was about 21. The modern trend of awarding titles to really cut guys spoils bodybuilding. If you look at the Mountaineer photos almost all the guys are skinny but cut to shreds. The idea that you develop lines and body beauty seems to have disappeared from the sport. Even the women have gone too far and now they need inserts. The whole sport has become freakish and not beautiful. Many people no longer look healthy at contests.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »
one thing i agree with you on: this years olympia lineup was easily the best of all time.....i hate it when douchbags come on here and say that bodybuilding sucks now compared to the 90's.....no one from the 90's would have even been in the top 6.

You guys need to go get a copy of the 95 Olympia. :o

This year's Olympia was between ONLY two guys, Jay and Ronnie.

The 95 Olympia could've gone to ANY of the top four or five competitors. :o

Dorian, Kevin, Shawn, Nasser (when he looked his best), Francois, Flex, Baker, Vince.........Ah yes 8)

Oh, lets not forget Cormier ;)
just not good enough

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »
Maybe the problem is, there aren't enough drugs in the sport.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 07:33:34 PM »
The drugs have ruined the sport. Need I mention the women! We used to have an annual gym contest and guys used steroids for that! We stopped having contests because we didn't want to encourage anyone to use drugs.

I remember interviewing one Asian teenager after he won the gym teen contest. I asked him if he used tablets. He smiled and shook his head, "No tablets!" This kid was way bigger than the others in his class. Later I found out he misunderstood my question. I was asking if he used steroids but he took me literally. He admitted he went to the steroid doctor Tony Miller who gave him decadurabolin via injections. We used to refer to steroids as 'tablets'.

When schoolboys feel they need steroids in order to compete the sport is insane. What the pros do is total insanity. Everyone sort of ignors the reality but I wonder about the longevity and health of those guys.

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 07:38:39 PM »
The drugs have ruined the sport. Need I mention the women! We used to have an annual gym contest and guys used steroids for that! We stopped having contests because we didn't want to encourage anyone to use drugs.

I remember interviewing one Asian teenager after he won the gym teen contest. I asked him if he used tablets. He smiled and shook his head, "No tablets!" This kid was way bigger than the others in his class. Later I found out he misunderstood my question. I was asking if he used steroids but he took me literally. He admitted he went to the steroid doctor Tony Miller who gave him decadurabolin via injections. We used to refer to steroids as 'tablets'.

When schoolboys feel they need steroids in order to compete the sport is insane. What the pros do is total insanity. Everyone sort of ignors the reality but I wonder about the longevity and health of those guys.

i competed against that guy,in my first teenage show.the ifbb nsw in 96' i think.kevin lerone guest posed.
yeah that dude had some good size.lol...i didn't even know what a steroid was back then. :o

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »
You guys need to go get a copy of the 95 Olympia. :o

This year's Olympia was between ONLY two guys, Jay and Ronnie.

The 95 Olympia could've gone to ANY of the top four or five competitors. :o

Dorian, Kevin, Shawn, Nasser (when he looked his best), Francois, Flex, Baker, Vince.........Ah yes 8)

Oh, lets not forget Cormier ;)
so very true. in the 95' line up there were a handful of guys who had more detail than Cutler. that line up was awsome. wasnt Levrone also there? and what about Andreas?

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 07:51:27 PM »
i competed against that guy,in my first teenage show.the ifbb nsw in 96' i think.kevin lerone guest posed.
yeah that dude had some good size.lol...i didn't even know what a steroid was back then. :o
I was at that show...

Funniest part was when kevin was onstage talking about his diet...

problem was he was talking mg of protein and carbs instead of grams. he was so used to talking in mg -ie. gear -he forgot to talk in grams... only a few of us picked it up though

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »
People are going to do whatever they want to do...youre dealing with emotional mindsets and no matter what your opinion or standards may be...They're no better or more accurate than anyone elses

write that down

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 07:56:59 PM »
I was at that show...

Funniest part was when kevin was onstage talking about his diet...

problem was he was talking mg of protein and carbs instead of grams. he was so used to talking in mg -ie. gear -he forgot to talk in grams... only a few of us picked it up though
lol...don't remember that.didn't the banner fall down when he was posing?
i didn't know what was going on,was the first show i been to.i remember it was packed.
are you going to the australia next weekend?

AVBG

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
i didn't know what was going on,was the first show i been to.i remember it was packed.

I am.. Revesby Workers!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 07:58:45 PM »
Nah man paintball marathon next week... I saw ronnie compete at the 98 night of champions in new york so I've seen him up close at his best.

paul graham's shows are always 3 hours too long anyway!

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 08:01:29 PM »
I am.. Revesby Workers!
you should say hi,i'll be there.
my girlfriend is competing in the heavyweight physique.

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 08:02:34 PM »
Nah man paintball marathon next week... I saw ronnie compete at the 98 night of champions in new york so I've seen him up close at his best.

paul graham's shows are always 3 hours too long anyway!
yeah,not a big fan of the way the ifbb is run,that's why i do nabba they treat us very well there.

AVBG

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 08:05:39 PM »
you should say hi,i'll be there.
my girlfriend is competing in the heavyweight physique.

I'll try.. Is your noggin still shaved?

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 08:06:59 PM »
yes mate

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 08:08:55 PM »
the '95 olympia...or any olympia in the 90's for that matter, all are inferior to this years, last years, the year before that, even the year before that. the average weight of the top 6 throughout the 90's was about 235...  today its more like 255...with some going up almost to 300. all with better condition, too9witht he exception of flex wheeler, and maybe a few others)....also, you have to be much more complete to win now....guys cant come in without a back, and still place. everything has to be hugte and ripped....even your ass.

d[-_-]b actin all cool

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 08:09:36 PM »
Now if we all had Vince G t-shirts to wear we would recognize each other at those shows! Not sure if I am going. Someone said Paul has made the event over two days and is charging heaps for both days. That put some lads off that usually go. You guys will have to meet me at my gym one day and have a workout on the house. A Sat or Sunday afternoon might be best.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 08:10:43 PM »
so very true. in the 95' line up there were a handful of guys who had more detail than Cutler. that line up was awsome. wasnt Levrone also there? and what about Andreas?

You know, I don't think Munzer competeted in that year's Olympia.

Ronnie was there and was like 16th place, even Frank Zane said "once he learns how to use the crowd he's going to place alot higher"  ;D

Kevin was there, ripped up and looked better than at the 94, and Shawn was probably the most shredded ever, awesome show!
just not good enough

AVBG

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 08:11:09 PM »
Now if we all had Vince G t-shirts to wear we would recognize each other at those shows! Not sure if I am going. Someone said Paul has made the event over two days and is charging heaps for both days. That put some lads off that usually go. You guys will have to meet me at my gym one day and have a workout on the house. A Sat or Sunday afternoon might be best.

Yeah it is definately over two days. I am undecided on which day to go  :-\ .. I have already worked out your gym (full charge) incognito.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »
Bodybuilding is a joke today.

jeffrey.

• Getbig III
  • i love the pdi
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »
i remember training at your gym a couple of times  when i was about 18 and  lived in concord.
yeah he has the show sat&sun $20 for pre-judge and $50 for finals.and you have to pay twice if you go both days.
i'm only going on sat as my girlfriend's division is  only that day.
would hate to win your division on saturday then try and hold condition for the overall on sunday afternoon.