Author Topic: for those that train chest on a smith machine...  (Read 4213 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
for those that train chest on a smith machine...
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:12:07 PM »
you'll be humbled when you use a flat bench for the first time in forever.

the reason i've always stuck with one is due to lack of a training partner that i find competent enough adn with the same goals as i am...and to allow me to push myself harder without fear of crushing myself. 

tried to hit my usual routine on the flat bench yesterday and realized that 400 for 5 reps on a smith is one thing...400 ONCE or even TWICE on a flat bench is another.  :o 

i'm thinking it's time for every other week to work on the flat bench and not the machine.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: for those that train chest on a smith machine...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:15:46 PM »
you mean all this time when you've been bragging about your bench press and shoulder press numbers they've been on the Smith Machine?

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »
dude that's never been a secret..i've always stated it's been on a smith machine.  ask sarcasm..hell i'm sure he can pull up posts! so why the shock?  ???

if it's still a big deal...get under the weight yourself and do it.  It's one thing to criticize..it's another to get out there and do it yourself.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »
Welcome to the real world...

now i'm curious what i could press using the smith?

there really isn't a need for it, i don't understand why people use it for benching, it takes away the natural groove.

the only thing i use it for is front squats every now and then...

try not using it again for like 6 months, i bet you will get your numbers back up doing it the right way.

8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 01:29:44 PM »
do a search in alot of my posts..it's stated there...

and i figured that after i read your name  ;D

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »
Insert Quote

there really isn't a need for it, i don't understand why people use it for benching, it takes away the natural groove.

try not using it again for like 6 months, i bet you will get your numbers back up doing it the right way.

i posted why i use it in my training..i love it.  It lets me push myself harder and farther than i would on the flat without help.  I'm thinking you're right too...i was only short a couple of reps here and there...365 for 8 instead of 10 and 400 for 3 instead of 5.  It's alot harder to control it and balanace once i got up to 365+.  I'm likign the idea of compromising and going to the gym later and pressing in the cage.  Best of both worlds it looks like!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:35:52 PM »
tried to hit my usual routine on the flat bench yesterday and realized that 400 for 5 reps on a smith is one thing...400 ONCE or even TWICE on a flat bench is another.   

i'm thinking it's time for every other week to work on the flat bench and not the machine.
What no one seems to realize it that there's an aclimation stage that requires a few workouts to get through; no accurate comparisons before that's over are accurate.

Gauge your strength on free weights a week or two after the transition, at which time there shouldn't be a major difference given the pros & cons of each.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:37:49 PM »
i posted why i use it in my training..i love it.  It lets me push myself harder and farther than i would on the flat without help.  I'm thinking you're right too...i was only short a couple of reps here and there...365 for 8 instead of 10 and 400 for 3 instead of 5.  It's alot harder to control it and balanace once i got up to 365+.  I'm likign the idea of compromising and going to the gym later and pressing in the cage.  Best of both worlds it looks like!

Stick with the regular bench for a while and i bet your numbers jump, then you can go back to the smith and you will be even stronger. that is what i was trying to say.

if you like it, by all means use it...i always tend to look at things from a power lifting point of view.

alot of big guys use the smith for inclines at my gym...

8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 01:38:11 PM »
it's like getting used to a new exercise...normally after a couple of times on it i'm back to where i was...and i'm thinking my chest will benefit even more with splitting it up after feeling the effects of not using the smith yesterday.  Was a lil sore this morning but not anymore.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »
What no one seems to realize it that there's an aclimation stage that requires a few workouts to get through; no accurate comparisons before that's over are accurate.

Gauge your strength on free weights a week or two after the transition, at which time there shouldn't be a major difference given the pros & cons of each.

this is true...Good points!

8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 01:39:14 PM »
it's like getting used to a new exercise...normally after a couple of times on it i'm back to where i was...
Exactly-all the theories by the predictable free-weights only drones just went out the window.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
i'm liking the ideas here..i too, looking in retrospect, feel like i'd be even stronger on the smith after training on the flat for awhile.  

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 05:17:13 PM »

words of wisdom from the pumpmeister!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 09:06:33 AM »
[/quote DId you build a good chest and delts?

i feel like i did..once i get some pics and get them hosted here later on i'll let you guys critique and decide for yourselves.

A2daMIR

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 10:08:26 AM »
I dont  think you'll be Humbled or anything, its just a new shock for your muscles, your muscles are not used to the "grove" of a flat bench instead of the smith machine...

for shrugs i used to do anywhere between 4-5 plates from front, then i started doing behind the back shrugs, i couldnt do more than 2 plates the first day... next workout i did 2 and a quarter on each side, the next workout 3 and a quarter, and in 3 weeks my muscles found the "GROOVE" for that excercise...

if you see dramatic weight changes going from Smith to Free weights, then you werent simply doing it right on the smith machine, but no doubt that you should expect to bench 30-50 less on the bench than on the smith...

you'll be humbled when you use a flat bench for the first time in forever.

the reason i've always stuck with one is due to lack of a training partner that i find competent enough adn with the same goals as i am...and to allow me to push myself harder without fear of crushing myself. 

tried to hit my usual routine on the flat bench yesterday and realized that 400 for 5 reps on a smith is one thing...400 ONCE or even TWICE on a flat bench is another.  :o 

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 11:37:35 AM »
the majority of my pressing movements are done on either a smith or using hammer machines.  This is done mostly for safety reasons and for the simple fact that I don't have the time to set up a power rack to keep me from killing myself while I'm working out.  I worked out at a rec center for over a year and I didn't trust anyone to spot me on a free weight movement, it was either teenagers or 80 year olds.  In a perfect world I would have the time to set up the power-rack and use free weights but i don't really care.  As long as I'm progressing in the amount of weight I use I don't care if it's a machine or free weights.  I've done over 300 on the bench in the past, and right now I could care less how much I bench, don't know, don't care.  I just care about moving forward and beating my old totals for reps.  I never do singles, ever.  I'll probably never do free weight flat bench presses again, I don't see the point right now. 
nasser=piece of shit

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 08:03:50 AM »

8)
Yep, I had the same problem doing to many dumbell flat benches - when I finally came back to barbell bench I had lost strength!!! Plus you can really hurt yourself pressing heavy on the smith-machine if you haven't lined up your bench exacally even - just ask Toney Freeman. I pulled a muscle in my upper chest doing incline smith machine presses and it took months for the liitle nagging pains to go away ???
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 08:57:32 AM »
I agree with OverLoad and Lastrep72. If TexR is trying near the weight he used on the Smith machine with regular flat benches he is only inviting a maybe long term injury. That 'aclimation' may take a lot longer than one thinks and can be misleading. A regular bench is more of a 'S' curved push for most guy's. With the  position on the Smith, there is a fix, straight unnatural push away from the body. I think of shoulder joint and tricep tear first thing. (actually a better way to do flat benches is with DB's that follow the natural twist of the hands/wrist/elbows, shoulders...but than again, to me, BB's are more fun)

If any one feels comfort using the Smith machine, than help yourself. If you do decide to switch to regular benches than select a much lighter weight in the beginning process. Your muscles are learning a whole new way of pressing and are getting adjusted to a different position of weight loads during the exercise, on them. Caution though, not matter what one may believe, the Smith machine is not a perfectly safe piece of equipment. Should have someone watching you for those last few hard reps. Good Luck.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 08:30:35 PM »
i feel like i did..once i get some pics and get them hosted here later on i'll let you guys critique and decide for yourselves.

just attach them in the members photos section

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 09:14:34 PM »
you mean all this time when you've been bragging about your bench press and shoulder press numbers they've been on the Smith Machine?
i totally agree- posting these lifts based on a fuckin smith machine??that's not even lifting- just all out pushing and pulling- get a fuckin clue

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 06:44:25 AM »
update on this thread...been doing my presses in the cage the past few sessions in both flat and incline..yes even inclines because in recent photos i realized i have no upper chest whatsoever  :-\.  After the 3rd time in the cage, things felt like normal...i've not attempted pressing anything over 385 yet but it's feeling good and moving easily..the balancing issues are only there on the last set. I'm gonna keep working at it for a few more sessions before hitting it with 400+.  Also, i've found a bench adjustment setting that I feel the most chest and the least amount of shoulders as possible for my inclines! Am doing them in the cage as well to prevent the problems i've had with my flat benching when it comes to acclimation. The setting is about halfway between your typical incline bench setup and the flat bench and feels good! finally working with weights over 300 with relative ease! The cage helped get over hte fear of really pushing after i bottomed it out once on my last set of flat benching...again...somet hing to consider guys if you like the smith as much as i do and need a change of venue!

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 10:20:39 AM »
Your still pushing the weight wether your using smith or flat or even hammer strength. The big difference is that your balance is not in control if youve been using anything other than flat and your supporting muscles are not as strong.  It also depends a lot on the person; wether your looking for power or bodybuilding.  As a body builder Ive used smith and hammer too but I tend to stick with the flat and incline.  I have a freind who has only used hammer strength soley for his chest work and his chest stucture is huge and thick as mine.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 10:59:51 AM »
update on this thread...been doing my presses in the cage the past few sessions in both flat and incline..yes even inclines because in recent photos i realized i have no upper chest whatsoever  :-\.  After the 3rd time in the cage, things felt like normal...i've not attempted pressing anything over 385 yet but it's feeling good and moving easily..the balancing issues are only there on the last set. I'm gonna keep working at it for a few more sessions before hitting it with 400+.  Also, i've found a bench adjustment setting that I feel the most chest and the least amount of shoulders as possible for my inclines! Am doing them in the cage as well to prevent the problems i've had with my flat benching when it comes to acclimation. The setting is about halfway between your typical incline bench setup and the flat bench and feels good! finally working with weights over 300 with relative ease! The cage helped get over hte fear of really pushing after i bottomed it out once on my last set of flat benching...again...somet hing to consider guys if you like the smith as much as i do and need a change of venue!

Sounds like where my incline is set up. Any higher and I feel it more in the shoulders than anything else.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 12:20:17 PM »
Excuse the ignorance but i never knew the smith machine made that mush difference, exept that it was a 1/2 point between machine and free weights and that it was good for thoughs who trained alone.

My gym doenst have a smith machine so iv never used one, i wander how my bench would look on a smith machine, i do Db bench and when i started it it took me a while to ge used to rolling back with the weights and pressing them up myself, but now its just part of the exercsie, i do agree with the acclimatisation period that was mentioned earlier!!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 12:21:11 PM »
I incorperate the smith into almost all of my training but not all the time.
bodybuildersreality.com