Author Topic: THE GREAT SUPPLEMENT/ADVERTISING SCAM  (Read 20369 times)

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
THE GREAT SUPPLEMENT/ADVERTISING SCAM
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:30:43 AM »
Like Blockhead said, the ads are all targeted to newbies. People who have used steroids or tried supplements over an extended period of time all know that the entire industry is one big scam. Here's my list of supplements I remember taking over the years:

1. Weider Weight Gainer and Muscle Builder when I was in HS/college. I couldn't afford Cybergenics but it was brilliantly marketed.
2. METRX shakes and bars (great for producing gains in the size of your doodie)
3. Phosphagen and other creatine products (The industry's #1 Greatest Scam)
4. Beverly Hills Nutrition Protein and a crapload of junk from Ultimate Strength Systems including Yohimbe!
5. Labrada Bars, especially the amazing but discontinued Peanut Butter and Jelly bars.
6. Enough Promax bars to feed the entire nation of Somalia.
7. Detour, One-Way, Yield, DoNotPassGo, GototheHeadoftheClass Bars
8. Ripped Fuel and other absurd products.
9. Aminos, Liver Tabs, BCAAs and other elephant pills that probably went undigested.
10. CarboForce (fond memories of Joe's World Class Gym in Nanuet, NY)

I remember when Egg Protein was rated a 4.0 perfect protein and all the companies ragged on milk and whey protein as being cheap and worthless. I remember when Milk Protein came back and egg protein lost its luster. I remember when Whey protein made a comeback and it was the new big thing (Designer Whey!!). I remember VPX or some other joke of a company selling products loaded into SYRINGES WITHOUT NEEDLES. I remember Pros telling me how they sold all the free product they got from their endorsement deals because they needed the money and had no use for the supplements. I remember being in the kitchens of 2 of this year's Top 5 Olympians and not seeing any nutritional supplements ANYWHERE. I remember being in the kitchen of a perennial Mr. Olympia contender over a two year period and never seeing a single nutritional supplement. I remember asking a former NOC winner if he used nutritional supplements and him laughing out loud at my ignorance.

It only took a smart fellow like me 15 years to realize my stupidity. Like Adonis says, "calories are calories". Wanna gain weight? Save your money and eat SNICKERS bars, drink lots of WHOLE MILK, and LIFT HEAVY. Wanna lose weight? Save your money and cut your calories in HALF, drink nothing but WATER, and do 45 Min of cardio/day.

Special "Real Simple" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: THE GREAT SUPPLEMENT/ADVERTISING SCAM
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:43 AM »
----------------------
Blasphemy! You'll pay for that sander, sir. I'm calling Danny Hestor right now. >:(
a

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:36:33 AM »
Blasphemy! You'll pay for that sander, sir. I'm calling Danny Hestor right now. >:(
I don't use a sander...I use sandpaper. Works better. Bill Phillips is here with me now and he wants to know who Danny Hestor is.

Special "Alexslander the Great" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »

Bill Phillips lied? ???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:38:38 AM »
Bill Phillips lied? ???

feels like deca.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:40:49 AM »
 Very good, Special'TrickorTreatSmellmyButt'Ed!

It all target's the demographics of age 16-24 because by the time they are 24 and haven't figured it out there will be a whole new generation of buyers. It took me a plethora of years to figure it out as well...my life changed two yrs ago when a pro BB who we all know that used to live in WISCONSIN but now lives in TX who's a mega mass monster freak with weird looking pecs told me straight up...the ONLY thing he uses is protein powder and a jug will last him almost two months.

He told me straight up to SAVE your money and spend it on food and groceries. He reminded me that there are PLENTY of quality stage worthy physiques and 500lb + benchpressers and 700lb squatters in PRISON, some having over 19 arms and they have 3 crappy starchy carbohydrate meals with mystery meat for protein daily and NO access to any supps. MAYBE a multi vitamin if they are lucky.

Now I save lots of money and just use a protein powder(Pride Nutrition) Liquid Egg Whites(E.W.I.), creatine(Pride) and Mens multi(Pride). That's it. Holla!
?

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:41:11 AM »
Like Blockhead said, the ads are all targeted to newbies. People who have used steroids or tried supplements over an extended period of time all know that the entire industry is one big scam. Here's my list of supplements I remember taking over the years:

1. Weider Weight Gainer and Muscle Builder when I was in HS/college. I couldn't afford Cybergenics but it was brilliantly marketed.
4. Beverly Hills Nutrition Protein and a crapload of junk from Ultimate Strength Systems including Yohimbe!
5. Labrada Bars, especially the amazing but discontinued Peanut Butter and Jelly bars.
9. Aminos, Liver Tabs, BCAAs and other elephant pills that probably went undigested.

I remember when Egg Protein was rated a 4.0 perfect protein and all the companies ragged on milk and whey protein as being cheap and worthless. I remember when Milk Protein came back and egg protein lost its luster. I remember when Whey protein made a comeback and it was the new big thing (Designer Whey!!). I remember VPX or some other joke of a company selling products loaded into SYRINGES WITHOUT NEEDLES. I remember Pros telling me how they sold all the free product they got from their endorsement deals because they needed the money and had no use for the supplements. I remember being in the kitchens of 2 of this year's Top 5 Olympians and not seeing any nutritional supplements ANYWHERE. I remember being in the kitchen of a perennial Mr. Olympia contender over a two year period and never seeing a single nutritional supplement. I remember asking a former NOC winner if he used nutritional supplements and him laughing out loud at my ignorance.

It only took a smart fellow like me 15 years to realize my stupidity. Like Adonis says, "calories are calories". Wanna gain weight? Save your money and eat SNICKERS bars, drink lots of WHOLE MILK, and LIFT HEAVY. Wanna lose weight? Save your money and cut your calories in HALF, drink nothing but WATER, and do 45 Min of cardio/day.

Special "Real Simple" Ed

Spoken like a catholic priest on sunday...
footloose and fancy free

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »

I ate these - thought they would be a good flavor.  I thought wrong.
Motherboy (the band).

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:47:42 AM »
how about an add taken out saying how jay cutler gained 10 pnds of muscle using gasparis size on product...and winning the MRO.
p

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »
I have really taken supplements.  I make protein shakes sometimes.  But any other supplement has never done a thing for me.  Whne I competed I took nothing.  Just ate and trained heavy.  Test was the only thing I ever took.  And I would much rather have a good meal than take a bunch of supplements.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:09 AM »
If I drink Whole Milk I need to walk around with a diaper on cause i shit so much...can't i just use russian bear?
footloose and fancy free

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:56 AM »
All the good ones get the hook from the FDA. Remember Renewtrient?  That stuff had a nice buzz and helped you sleep like a baby.  It's back, but now called Somatomax.  I used to love the stuff and was bumbed when it went south.  It's back and day's and night's are much nicer now.  Protein, creatine, ephedrine based fat burners and glousamine are some of the ones that keep selling, they must work for some people.  And every once in a while something comes out that does work, but I agree that most of the stuff is just a promise in a bottle and it would cost a small fortune to fine ones that do what they promise, but their are a few that are far from worthless, IMO.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 10:52:49 AM »
I love how creatine needs  transportation to get into your muscles. ..hahaha
L

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »

Special "Real Simple" Ed

it's all true

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 10:55:04 AM »
I don't use a sander...I use sandpaper. Works better. Bill Phillips is here with me now and he wants to know who Danny Hestor is.

Special "Alexslander the Great" Ed
Hey Special'Counsler'Ed...tell Bill Phillips that HMB I bought 5 yrs ago didn't work as good as that QualityVet Deca300 did.

Ask him if I can still get my refund...I think I lost the recipt though.
?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 10:57:58 AM »

The industry is all about selling magic powders, fruit drinks, and chocolate bars. 

Once you understand that, everything else makes sense. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 01:01:49 PM »
All the good ones get the hook from the FDA. Remember Renewtrient?  That stuff had a nice buzz and helped you sleep like a baby.  It's back, but now called Somatomax.  I used to love the stuff and was bumbed when it went south.  It's back and day's and night's are much nicer now.  Protein, creatine, ephedrine based fat burners and glousamine are some of the ones that keep selling, they must work for some people.  And every once in a while something comes out that does work, but I agree that most of the stuff is just a promise in a bottle and it would cost a small fortune to fine ones that do what they promise, but their are a few that are far from worthless, IMO.
Wasn't Renewtrient a GHB analogue? GBL? That's just a recreational drug... not a supplement really.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »
Here's what I use as far as supplements:

Stimulants. No question whether or not they work.

Protein and carb powders. Could be classified as food.

Creatine. Does help strength and gives as fuller appearance.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 01:10:27 PM »
I love how creatine needs  transportation to get into your muscles. ..hahaha

hahaha, and the funny thing is, you also need to buy a ticket. it's called alkalyne.  ::) ::)

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 01:13:16 PM »
I agree for the most part.  I use whey, the occasional MRP, creatine, glutamine and stimulants.  I've come to find that the other crap does nothing but empty my wallet.

We are all MUCH better off spanding that cash on FOOD!!!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »
Here's what I use as far as supplements:

Stimulants. No question whether or not they work.

Protein and carb powders. Could be classified as food.

Creatine. Does help strength and gives as fuller appearance.
yeah man the basics. a mulit and aminos i use too. fuck all this NO shit and P70, bullshit nonsense. 
bodybuildersreality.com

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »
They put roids in the supps now..  I heard that in the gym last night..

oh cool.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 01:20:06 PM »
They put roids in the supps now..  I heard that in the gym last night..

Your humor sucks.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 01:20:11 PM »
Man I loved GHB.  I slept like a baby.  Would get it from a friend who was a pharmasist.  I never asked but why couldn't you drink it plain.  I tried a little and if I remember it was really salty.  What made it like that

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »
bodybuildersreality.com