Author Topic: is personal training a "real job/career"?!  (Read 10139 times)

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: is personal training a "real job/career"?!
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »
True, but my point is you can make very, very nice living from training!

At what income bracket do you consider someone to make a nice living? Do you live in a city that has a very high cost of living?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 09:40:09 PM »
Dude, the problem is that most people that are personal trainers don't think ahead and treat like the business it is. Saying "what happends if you break your leg" is rediculous. I treat my business like anyone with a decent business would...I cover my ass, for example, two years ago I had knee surgery, but because I had someone to cover my clients I lost nothing, besides I was only out for a few days, but IF God for bid something happend that would put me out for a while, I still have someone to cover my clients along with self-employment disability insurance as well as health insurance and investments.

Again, if you think of it as just a way to make some money, thats all it will ever be, but if you treat and think of it as a business, then you can have a small goldmine.....just like anyone who starts ANYKIND of business!!
This is a really good post man...think longterm.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 09:43:38 PM »
I will comment on this one-  Mr Intenseone has some serious hustle.  I seriously see him as a businessman first and a PT second.   I've never had a client who is constantly adding services, doing flyer runs, re-evaluating what is working, etc.   He and i will butt heads now and then on politics, but if ANYONE needs a start in PT, I would send them in his direction for some guidance.

TheEgoCrusher

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 09:59:58 PM »
In most cities, you will not make even a decent living personal training.

1.  Your clientale will come and go.  It's simply not a dependable, steady source of income.
2.  Unless you are in a city where everyone is very self-image conscious (like Miami or L.A.), you simply don't have enough people willing to pay you $60 an hour to train them.
3.  Your hours will be ridiculous.  Training someone at 6:00 A.M., then 9, then 11, then 2, then 4, then 5, then 6:00 P.M.  Do you really want to come and go from your job all day like that?  Get real.

Personal training is something that one should do as a part-time job.  Trying to make a living at it in 99% of the cities in the U.S. is moronic.  Of course, a lot aspiring "bodybuilders" who "personal train" do so as a front to sell drugs, but that's another story.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:19 PM »
In most cities, you will not make even a decent living personal training.

1.  Your clientale will come and go.  It's simply not a dependable, steady source of income.
2.  Unless you are in a city where everyone is very self-image conscious (like Miami or L.A.), you simply don't have enough people willing to pay you $60 an hour to train them.
3.  Your hours will be ridiculous.  Training someone at 6:00 A.M., then 9, then 11, then 2, then 4, then 5, then 6:00 P.M.  Do you really want to come and go from your job all day like that?  Get real.

Personal training is something that one should do as a part-time job.  Trying to make a living at it in 99% of the cities in the U.S. is moronic.  Of course, a lot aspiring "bodybuilders" who "personal train" do so as a front to sell drugs, but that's another story.

In order...
I agree with your point on #1, but thats just the way smal business is, no matter what business it is, not just personal training.

Point #2 For the most part, you are right, I happen to be in a weathly area, I'm very fortunate, but remember one thing, even if you are not in a weathly area, you have to set your rate according to the area and cost of living. Most people go to a gym for the same purpose.....to get in shape!

Point #3, Yes, sometimes my hours are rediculous, but exept for a couple of hour holes, I'm booked from 5:30am to 7-8:00pm and If I have something I need to do, I can have someone cover or re-schedule, i have had the majority of my clients for 3 years or more and very few for less than a year....I have very loyal clientel and they understand if I take a vacation or simply need some time off!

As far as my training, I take it VERY seriously, I constantly have my head in a book, on the net, going to seminars and not just for training, but physical threrapy, nutrition and most of all athletic training. I like to read up on the lastest techniques to stay ahead of my competition...that only ONE reason why I consider myself the best at what I do...that and because I LOVE what I do. Any moron can count reps and sets, but it's true knowledge that wins!

TheEgoCrusher

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »
I'm not saying that there are not good trainers out there and that you can't make a living doing it.  I'm saying it's VERY HARD to make a good living doing it outside of a wealthy city. Just the way it is.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 10:43:11 PM »
I'm not saying that there are not good trainers out there and that you can't make a living doing it.  I'm saying it's VERY HARD to make a good living doing it outside of a wealthy city. Just the way it is.

I agree, but you have to be persistant and not give up if thats what you really want to do.....I do because I love it and the money just follows but the satisfaction I see from my clients is better and makes it that much more worth it!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 11:07:21 PM »
Can you make a living as a trainer? Yes

Is it a good way to make a living? No

Ego Crusher pretty much stole my thunder as to why it's bad.

I would put personal training on the same level as bartending. They're both good ways to make some money for a while, and they're both jobs that can help you get laid, but they're not careers.

When you find yourself being the oldest bartender at the bar, or the oldest trainer at the gym, it's time to move on.

Good topic, btw

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 11:23:44 PM »
It's like talking to a fucking wall!!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 11:26:38 PM »

I would put personal training on the same level as bartending.

Unless you own the bar!!

Is it me or does NO ONE have any business sense on here?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 12:49:56 AM »
Depends on how far you take it. You can make alot from PT.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 01:46:52 AM »
i'm thinking about getting certified, but i'm asking myself " is personal training a real job/career?" i mean, i pretty sure most people that i know and i dont' know would think that's it not! that only muscle blockheads and uneducated people who can't do anything else do this for a "career". that one should have a "real job" you know steady income, health benefits/insurance, guaranteed 40 hours, etcetera, even though if i had to work in a cubicle, wear a suit, and go to the same building/office  5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year, for the next 30 years or so and work with the same people i would go INSANE!!!!

by the way, i do have B.A. in Communications, and an A.A. in journalism.

on hand, i plan on personal training as well as teaching core classes part-time, perhaps even an aqua strength training class and doing some kind of i don't know adventure travel guide job in some aspect and some free-lance writing the other hours of the week. i couldn't see myself being only "a personal trainer" for the rest of my life even if i could, i don't think i would want to!! somehow i think it would be i don't know kind of pathetic, being a 50/60 year old personal trainer, always always trying to find my clients and keep them as my only income!!

what do you guys think? serious comments please, no jokes or asshole replies. thanks in advance!!

Yes, of course it is!
Team Goodrum!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 05:02:43 AM »
i'm thinking about getting certified, but i'm asking myself " is personal training a real job/career?" i mean, i pretty sure most people that i know and i dont' know would think that's it not! that only muscle blockheads and uneducated people who can't do anything else do this for a "career". that one should have a "real job" you know steady income, health benefits/insurance, guaranteed 40 hours, etcetera, even though if i had to work in a cubicle, wear a suit, and go to the same building/office  5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year, for the next 30 years or so and work with the same people i would go INSANE!!!!

by the way, i do have B.A. in Communications, and an A.A. in journalism.

on hand, i plan on personal training as well as teaching core classes part-time, perhaps even an aqua strength training class and doing some kind of i don't know adventure travel guide job in some aspect and some free-lance writing the other hours of the week. i couldn't see myself being only "a personal trainer" for the rest of my life even if i could, i don't think i would want to!! somehow i think it would be i don't know kind of pathetic, being a 50/60 year old personal trainer, always always trying to find my clients and keep them as my only income!!

what do you guys think? serious comments please, no jokes or asshole replies. thanks in advance!!
Absolutely not.

PB

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 05:52:18 AM »
Big deal, i can probably ask the samething from 10 different know-it-alls on here and get 10 different therories, but If I ask the same 'know-it-alls" on this board on the protocal for a 4 month periodization program for football or baseball, most would have no clue, but ask that same trainer on how to help someone from the general public (who really needs it, like an overweight person) he can probably talk your ear off provided he has had the experiance......bottomli ne is, it ain't all about hypertrophy bud abd when your a personal trainer....thats NOT where the money is!

I agree that is not where the money is. The money is in training skinny white girls that think that they are over weight. Or training the older lady that was once hot but is now neglected by her husband, and is hoping to turn back the hands of time.

With that said a trainer should be able to articulate and be able expand on a few points on building muscles.

Those trainers that I am speaking about appear to have just read "working out for dummies, 101"
Here comes the money shot

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 09:47:02 AM »
Unless you own the bar!!

Is it me or does NO ONE have any business sense on here?

You're letting your emotional attachment to the subject affect your objectivity.

The topic is personal training not gym ownership. Obviously, there's more income potential with the latter, but you don't have to be a trainer to own a gym or health club.

It doesn't change the fact that personal training is not a career.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2006, 09:48:37 AM »

It doesn't change the fact that personal training is not a career.

Please define a career??

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »
When one thinks of a career, things that come to mind are job security, benefits, pension, health insurance, room for advancement, mobility.

A while back, in my early 20s. I did PTing in one of those big cities where people have money (NYC). I made decent money and met a lot of women, but there were problems. As another poster stated, the gym took a big cut of my money, and to make real cash, I had to make side deals with people, as did almost all the other trainers. That's not a good, secure way to make money.

My other option would've been to open up my own studio, but then I would've been dealing with big city rents.

I enjoyed being a trainer, but I wouldn't want to be doing it now at age 40. In fact, I often pass by gyms in the city and see the trainers. Most of them are in their twenties. It's actually sad to see an old trainer. You want to say, "Dude, what went wrong?"

I understand that you disagree, but then, that's what make horseraces.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 10:37:56 AM »
It amounts to about 1/4 of My income.  Plus it's all $$$ for the most part.  If I'd rely on just personal training, the ends wouldn't meet.  It's a great supplemental income and fits right into the rest of my business.  Diet consulting and wholesale and retailling supplements.  Never put all you're eggs in 1 basket in this field.  Like with training.  Get a tax # and sell Your clients their supplements.  Even out of Your trunk.  If you know your shlt and don't push the supplements, your clients will more than likely ask you what they need.  When you have it all, your income from training goes way up.  Also learn to write diets and take body fat readings.  Another plus for the personal trainer's bottom line.  You gotta make it where you can and results are your best advertisement.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

tolliscd

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 10:39:56 AM »
I think the take on this is that many people have many different opinions. There are pros and cons to everything and every job. The one constant thing in all jobs is at the end of the day you have to be happy with what you do and take some sort of satifaction from it. That being said if PT is what makes you happy and you really enjoy it, then you can make it work, just be smart with your business decisions. Just my take on the debate. Feel free to elaborate.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2006, 10:44:19 AM »
you can make alot of money in any field. My freind from college, his mom is a personal trainer for Lenny Kravitz and other actors and acttresses who live in the city. She makes 120K a year. But she is super duper hot, has an engaing personality and works her ass off at all times preparing meal plans and looking at charts. Compare her to some fag at ballys who is telling a fat ass to run another lap around the track while he text messages some hoes with his ipod in his ears.
L

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2006, 10:50:29 AM »
When one thinks of a career, things that come to mind are job security, benefits, pension, health insurance, room for advancement, mobility.

A while back, in my early 20s. I did PTing in one of those big cities where people have money (NYC). I made decent money and met a lot of women, but there were problems. As another poster stated, the gym took a big cut of my money, and to make real cash, I had to make side deals with people, as did almost all the other trainers. That's not a good, secure way to make money.

My other option would've been to open up my own studio, but then I would've been dealing with big city rents.

I enjoyed being a trainer, but I wouldn't want to be doing it now at age 40. In fact, I often pass by gyms in the city and see the trainers. Most of them are in their twenties. It's actually sad to see an old trainer. You want to say, "Dude, what went wrong?"

I understand that you disagree, but then, that's what make horseraces.

I have everything you described above and my room for advancement comes in the way of growing my business even more, your thinking of a career advancement comes with drawbacks in the way that you eventually have a celing on your advacement and a celing on your salary, and I have one thing that most people don't have when they work for someone........JOB SECURITY!

Now the problem with most people when they get into being a personal trainer is what you said...the club wants a cut, if that the case, find a place that you can pay a flat rate of rent, I pay $450.00 per month and I can have as many clients as I'm able to handle and that goes for my fiance' as well, so for example, I can make $16000 that month (one person) and pay only $450.00 for rent. Giving a club a percentage of your business isn't right in my book and cuts into my business too much!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »
Tom, you mentioned in your first post you had a BA in communications.  What field were you looking to get into while pursueing that degree?  Usually a ba doesn't get you anywhere degree wise....  A masters is basically the degree needed for any advancement in fields that require a degree.  I got lots of friends that got masters in exercise physiology and are personal trainers because they can earn more money for less hours worked.  In this field, if you have a athletic trainer degree you may get a job in a school or hopefully with a pro team, but most just become trainers and work with some teams in a college or something.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
Can you make a living as a trainer? Yes

Is it a good way to make a living? No

Ego Crusher pretty much stole my thunder as to why it's bad.

I would put personal training on the same level as bartending. They're both good ways to make some money for a while, and they're both jobs that can help you get laid, but they're not careers.

When you find yourself being the oldest bartender at the bar, or the oldest trainer at the gym, it's time to move on.

Good topic, btw

Things are changing alot today, lizzy.  When i first started getting paid to train clients at 17 years old you had to be a competitor in bodybuilding and look great to get clients...Today it's not uncommon to see older trainers in a gym and usually they are the real deal and know a thing or two about training.  The commercial gyms (like la fitness etc) gives trainers a bad rep because they'll hire anyone.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2006, 11:29:28 AM »
Things are changing alot today, lizzy.  When i first started getting paid to train clients at 17 years old you had to be a competitor in bodybuilding and look great to get clients...Today it's not uncommon to see older trainers in a gym and usually they are the real deal and know a thing or two about training. 

Where I live (Manhattan, Upper eastside), the largest gym/health club in my immediate area is the New York Sports Club (NYSC), which is a chain.

You can tell who the personal trainers are because they wear shirts that say "Personal Trainer" in big letters. The guys are mainly well built dudes in their 20s, and the women are all hotties in their 20s who are aspiring models and actresses.

I've seen one "older" trainer. He's a guy who's appears to be in his forties. He walks around in a shirt that says "Master Trainer." It's both funny and sad.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2006, 11:45:27 AM »
gayer than aqua strength training.. ;)..thanks i got another one