Author Topic: is personal training a "real job/career"?!  (Read 10132 times)

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
Re: is personal training a "real job/career"?!
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2006, 07:58:47 AM »
Sorry, to beat a dead thread here, but this post illustrates why pt-ing isn't a good career. To make a decent living at it, you HAVE to go into business. That should be an option, not a necessity. Not everyone wants all the headaches that go with owning your own business.

Take a profession like accounting. A CPA can work for a firm and make good money, or he can go out on his own. He's not forced to make a decision.

Not challenging you or anything, but just making a point.  My friend is a cpa in NYC..travels and hour and 20 minutes to the city from Long Isalnd each day, not including car time to the train.  Gets home about 8 each night and leaves about 6 am in the morning...last we talked about it he was making just over 100 a year......I don't think that's so great, and his job (like many others today) is not the most secure.  If you hustle in training, like anything else you can make good money.  Also, contrary to what others said here, you DO NOT have to be a good trainer to make money.  Lots of "successful" trainers do not know a thing.   

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »
Not challenging you or anything, but just making a point.  My friend is a cpa in NYC..travels and hour and 20 minutes to the city from Long Isalnd each day, not including car time to the train.  Gets home about 8 each night and leaves about 6 am in the morning...last we talked about it he was making just over 100 a year......I don't think that's so great, and his job (like many others today) is not the most secure.  If you hustle in training, like anything else you can make good money.  Also, contrary to what others said here, you DO NOT have to be a good trainer to make money.  Lots of "successful" trainers do not know a thing.   
you're the biggest bullshitter on here by far.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2006, 08:43:24 AM »
you're the biggest bullshitter on here by far.

A jerk off name one thing you think I b.s about.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2006, 08:47:14 AM »
Sorry, to beat a dead thread here, but this post illustrates why pt-ing isn't a good career. To make a decent living at it, you HAVE to go into business. That should be an option, not a necessity. Not everyone wants all the headaches that go with owning your own business.

Take a profession like accounting. A CPA can work for a firm and make good money, or he can go out on his own. He's not forced to make a decision.

Nothing wrong with starting your own business, it's small businesses that are the back bone of our ecomomy, it separates the motivated to succeed and have a better than average lifestyle and security along with a challenge. But you are correct by saying that you cannot make a decent living if you don't have your own business. But at the same time my benefits far outweigh that if I was working for someone else even if it were in another trade, working for someone sucks, me personally, I'm NOT the type of person who can work for someone!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
who says working for someone sucks?

there are a whole lot of people who make tons of money "working for someone else"

granted, most people want career advancement, and that generally leads to you becoming the boss, but you have to remember that adaptablity is key to success.

That often means starting at the bottom and working your way up.

you have to be easy to get along with if you are going to succeed.

if you are the type of person who gets bitchy if you happen to recieve your paycheck "from someone else", you may find you will have a hard time out there.
Flower Boy Ran Away

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2006, 01:11:23 PM »

there are a whole lot of people who make tons of money "working for someone else"

granted, most people want career advancement, and that generally leads to you becoming the boss, but you have to remember that adaptablity is key to success.

That often means starting at the bottom and working your way up.

you have to be easy to get along with if you are going to succeed.

if you are the type of person who gets bitchy if you happen to recieve your paycheck "from someone else", you may find you will have a hard time out there.
I'm in joe's boat here... I hate working for other people and will work 7 days a week if it is for myself and I enjoy it...

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2006, 01:13:56 PM »
I guess I am spoiled because the supervisor where I work is a great guy.

believe it or not, not all supervisors/bosses are assholes.
Flower Boy Ran Away

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2006, 01:14:43 PM »
I guess I am spoiled because the supervisor where I work is a great guy.

believe it or not, not all supervisors/bosses are assholes.

you're lucky most are assholes...

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2006, 01:24:49 PM »
be your own "boss" that's the only way.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2006, 05:19:02 PM »

Hulkster, that is just my opinion, it's great for some people and sucks for others, I fall in the latter. You're right, some people make great money and that fine, I just PERSONALLY have a hard time with someone else telling me what to do and when to do it plus I really enjoy helping people!

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2006, 03:39:51 PM »
more like 8 bucks an hour.

I know many trainers who make in excess of 100K per year.  You have to be able to sell yourself, your services and your worth to the prospective client.  Retention and referrals are the key to the business. 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »
I know many trainers who make in excess of 100K per year.  You have to be able to sell yourself, your services and your worth to the prospective client.  Retention and referrals are the key to the business. 

EXACTLY!!

THEBERG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2006, 04:15:41 PM »
I've done a 4 year degree in exercise science and am doing PTing at the moment and it was really hard for the first 6 months getting a job so decided to go into bussiness for myself and am doing well, i'm doing so well that the main gym here are talking to me about paying me to implement and run certain courses at the gym.

PTing isnt for everyone and can be more stable than a 9-5 desk job if you on to it.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »
Thats the fun and challenge of having my own business, like I said, I've had the majority of my clients for at least three years!

You must be a very persuasive person. No offense but who the fvck needs a personal trainer for 3 goddamn years. after a few months I would think even a neophyte would have it down pat.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2006, 04:39:26 PM »
You must be a very persuasive person. No offense but who the fvck needs a personal trainer for 3 goddamn years. after a few months I would think even a neophyte would have it down pat.

accountability, motivation.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »
sounds like joe is on the ball and always varying their programs though...

I think he trains many athletes so to them, he is like another one of their coaches...

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »
sounds like joe is on the ball and always varying their programs though...

I think he trains many athletes so to them, he is like another one of their coaches...

You are right, i do train alot of athletes which means I have to stay updated with newer and advanced training along with nutrition, I do quit a bit of periodization that entails alot planning. Now with my general public, after being with them for 3 or more years 2-3 days per week many of them become more family than clients, BUT, its still a business. My clients mean alot to me and they as well treat me as if I were family!!

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2006, 04:46:12 PM »
About working for someone else I also can't stand it.  I don't know what separates us from people who don't mind being told what to do.  If I had to guess I would say it is the ability to know what's best for yourself and the profession in which you are working.  I am in the military and I can't stand it.  I already train service members in order to gain experience and I can't wait to get the fuck out and PT.   Like Mr. Intesnsione I love it.  It is 1000 times more satisfying than benefits, securty, and being told what to do by 10 people who don't know thier head from thier ass.  Hopefully Mr. I will teach me his ways. 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2006, 04:58:11 PM »
About working for someone else I also can't stand it.  I don't know what separates us from people who don't mind being told what to do.  If I had to guess I would say it is the ability to know what's best for yourself and the profession in which you are working.  I am in the military and I can't stand it.  I already train service members in order to gain experience and I can't wait to get the f**k out and PT.   Like Mr. Intesnsione I love it.  It is 1000 times more satisfying than benefits, securty, and being told what to do by 10 people who don't know thier head from thier ass.  Hopefully Mr. I will teach me his ways. 

I think the thing that separates the people that have their own businesses from the people that work for others is MOTIVATION and knowing that your income potential doesn't have a celing on it, now I am by no means saying that people that work for others are not motivated, but when you have gone as far as you can go in a company...what's left?

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2006, 05:23:13 PM »
I think the thing that separates the people that have their own businesses from the people that work for others is MOTIVATION and knowing that your income potential doesn't have a celing on it, now I am by no means saying that people that work for others are not motivated, but when you have gone as far as you can go in a company...what's left?

Exactly... I see that everyday.  I work a very technical and specialized job in the service and everyone I work with is all about getting out after 20yrs of service and making a whopping 75-85k working for Lockheed Martin or some bullshit. Great.  If I get to 40 yrs old to make 85k max I'm going to shoot myself.  Combine that with STILL being somebody elses bitch and I m completely lost.  I want control.. I want financial independance... and I want to turn the fat and gross into people who can be proud of themselves! 

After everything you said on this thread I am very inspired.  I thought I might make 40-50k max as a PT.  The idea was to do that until I can open my own club.  But hearing how much CAN be made if I'm motivated is far beyond what I thought gives me great hope that I can do very well for myself even before I open my own club.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2006, 05:35:33 PM »
Exactly... I see that everyday.  I work a very technical and specialized job in the service and everyone I work with is all about getting out after 20yrs of service and making a whopping 75-85k working for Lockheed Martin or some bullshit. Great.  If I get to 40 yrs old to make 85k max I'm going to shoot myself.  Combine that with STILL being somebody elses bitch and I m completely lost.  I want control.. I want financial independance... and I want to turn the fat and gross into people who can be proud of themselves! 

After everything you said on this thread I am very inspired.  I thought I might make 40-50k max as a PT.  The idea was to do that until I can open my own club.  But hearing how much CAN be made if I'm motivated is far beyond what I thought gives me great hope that I can do very well for myself even before I open my own club.

Where do you live bulldog?

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2006, 06:09:06 PM »
Where do you live bulldog?

Right now I'm stationed in the Virginia Beach area but I hate it here.  My home is Baltimore/DC area and that's where I plan on returning to.   

RJB

• Getbig II
  • Everyone on the internets is rich.
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »
There is this old dude at my gym who trains really hot chicks and I'm sure he's nailing most of them. Besides him, none of the trainers seem to make any money or nail hot chicks.
Ronnie looked like doodoo

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2006, 06:44:48 PM »
There is this old dude at my gym who trains really hot chicks and I'm sure he's nailing most of them. Besides him, none of the trainers seem to make any money or nail hot chicks.
How unprofessional.
You get what you pay for.

Sandra

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2006, 07:01:27 PM »

One of the tricks is to not limit yourself to just personal training, in my business, I have a number of services that we do such as Boot camps, Kids training and camps, online training, nutrition counsiling and after the first of the year we're introducing strength camps especially geared for civil service recruts like Police, fire, coast guard, lifeguards and military prep, the idea is to make it along the lines of strongman training that will impliment Tire flipping, sand bag exercises and carries, sled pulling, etc,etc I already have alot of requests asking when it will start, I personally can't wait for that!!