Author Topic: what sets would you remove from this?  (Read 1540 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
what sets would you remove from this?
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:34:47 AM »
flat bench: 135x15x1 (warmup), 225x12x1,315x10x1,385x10x2
incline: 135x10x1,225x10x1,335x10x2

what would you add or change to that particular workout? are there some unnecessary things in that? curious as to what you boys think and why. maybe another set of 300+ instead of the 135 or 225 set on inclines? throw out the 225 all together on the flat and add another 315 set?  How necessary is a warmup set on inclines AFTER you've already done your flat benching?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: what sets would you remove from this?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:48:01 AM »
i would suggest getting off the Smith machine and strating from scratch with just a 25lb. plate on each side of the barbell bench press.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:50:05 AM »
i'm not weened completely off the smith yet...i'm still working in the cage at the moment..at least for another month or so.  :-\

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »
Is all of that done on a Smith Machine?  Not sure where Squadfather's comment came from...  But if so, yes, get off that thing!  If you feel like you absolutely must use it so you can push the heavy weights, then do it after the free weights.

As far as doing a warm-up set for inclines after you've done your flat benching, I'd say you've already warmed up plenty from the flat bench.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 09:33:51 AM »
flat bench: 135x15x1 (warmup), 225x12x1,315x10x1,385x10x2
incline: 135x10x1,225x10x1,335x10x2

what would you add or change to that particular workout? are there some unnecessary things in that? curious as to what you boys think and why. maybe another set of 300+ instead of the 135 or 225 set on inclines? throw out the 225 all together on the flat and add another 315 set?  How necessary is a warmup set on inclines AFTER you've already done your flat benching?

I'd get rid of the warm up stuff on the inclines.  You're already warmed up from the flat's.  If yoiu feel uneasy about jumping right into the inclines that heavy this might be a problem.  Lacour wrote a good article about putting warm ups into perspective and how alot of people waste thier time doing warm ups for every movement they do.  Check over on the AST site, it's a good article.
nasser=piece of shit

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »
will do! thanks bro!

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:57 AM »
Looks good but save the warm up on the incline for a real set ie 5 sets total no warm up

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:12:32 AM »
i'm doing this workout twice a week...not just once..so five sets might be abit much...maybe 1 set of light to get it moving and 3 sets of heavy? I'm thinking 225 should be the new warmup and skip 135 all together and throw in another heavier bench set.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:39:15 AM »
Ya I was thinking the 225 would be the warm up as well.  Twice a week wheeeeeeeeeew!  Thats a lot  I do each muscle only once a week heavy.  Your going pretty heavy too on those lasts sets so be careful not to overtrain bro.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:43:18 AM »
yeah that's why i was looking to cut..i do back and chest with 8-9 sets *not counting warmups* twice a week.  It's how i got so strong so fast...my chest and other larger muscle groups respond well..just my smaller muscles like my arms and delts tend to lag..THEY'RE STRONG but size wise aren't there.  :-\

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 10:58:29 AM »
I'd get rid of the warm up stuff on the inclines.  You're already warmed up from the flat's.  If yoiu feel uneasy about jumping right into the inclines that heavy this might be a problem.  Lacour wrote a good article about putting warm ups into perspective and how alot of people waste thier time doing warm ups for every movement they do.  Check over on the AST site, it's a good article.

I agree. However, I'll usually do one warmup set for inclines after flat just for reassurance issues. I probably don't even need it because I can feel my chest burning going into the warmup but I figure it can't hurt that much.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »
Ive tried warmups before incline but i dont' need it. Usually if I go on vacation somewhere for a week and don't work out; then I will do a warmup.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 12:12:24 PM »
Thats quite alot of sets bro, not if it was once a week so much, but as its twice a week then thats quite alot.
Ever considered focusing on the flat bench on one day mayb with pek del after, then on second day u work chest focus on inclines followed  by incline fly.

You'd find u could lift more on the incline press if it was given more focus on ur second chest day. Just my 2 pennys lol.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
i quit all flying movements..found out that it's one of the main problems i've been having with my shoulders..since i've stopped with them the past two weeks i've had no pain what so ever!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 02:11:30 PM »
i quit all flying movements..found out that it's one of the main problems i've been having with my shoulders..since i've stopped with them the past two weeks i've had no pain what so ever!

Ok im with u bro, if u wanna keep smith in routine aswell as free Db/BB work, could try heavy BB work on chest day one with incline smith.
Then on chest day two do heavy incline Bb followed by smith flat bench. The smith will help u lift more after uv done the heavy Free weight BB pressing. And u also get to do both smith and free this way.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah