Author Topic: Obesity  (Read 8826 times)

proschic

• Getbig III
  • like a midget in a urinal.....
Obesity
« on: November 05, 2006, 10:53:43 AM »
Everyone knows that being pregnant causes me to Love Dr. Phil...so I'm watching yet another show.

This one is the Dr. Phil House.  They have a bunch of people from diff walks of life who hate each other in the same house.  Its kinda interesting.  There is one guy on there who angers me, though.  The fat guy!  This guy is like 500 lbs, with sores all over his face, and the same damn outfit that they started the show in.  Everyone bitches about his stench...he claims he cant stand in the shower to bathe, and he is too big to sit in the bathtub.

He is stuck in a room with a small girl that HATES fat people.  I don't think the word "HATE" is a good one to use in reference to any person, but she has legitimate reasons as to why he is a waste of a human being.  And he is only proving her reasons!

I am watching a show on obesity (discovery network) now, and they are doing plastic surgery on a 600 lb woman!  They have removed 21lbs of skin in ONE LEG!!!!!!!!  Thats how much I have gained in my ENTIRE pregnancy!!!!! 

I am trying to have sympathy for these people, but find myself repulsed by them!  I feel that they are lazy and only waiting for the skinny people to help them out.  Bariatric surgery is a JOKE!  Only a crutch, so these people wont get off their fat asses and exercise!

how do you feel about the obese?

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Obesity
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
It's hard not to be judgemental... although to be fair some people become obese due to medication their taking, or some health condition. But it's hard not to find the average morbidly obese revolting when they take up all kinds of space on elevators, or you see them chowing down on three burgers, etc... For the most part though, it seems they're addicted, the way other people are to alcohol or drugs. Except in their case, they can't stay away from the addictive substance, since you can't sustain life without nourishment.

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 12:09:08 PM »
It's hard not to be judgemental... although to be fair some people become obese due to medication their taking, or some health condition. But it's hard not to find the average morbidly obese revolting when they take up all kinds of space on elevators, or you see them chowing down on three burgers, etc... For the most part though, it seems they're addicted, the way other people are to alcohol or drugs. Except in their case, they can't stay away from the addictive substance, since you can't sustain life without nourishment.

You can tell the legitimate obese people (because of medical conditions or medication), from the fat and lazy obese people.  They are the first ones to bitch about chairs not being big enough, or discrimination because they cant do the same things we do.  They give fit and skinny people dirty looks. 

When I was doing my endocrinology rotations at a doc's office, we had a patient who was about 400lbs.  She was being seen for her diabetes (of course).  She refused to have me evaluate her because I was "too skinny, and would not understand her situation".  I was livid!!!  This woman is judging ME because SHE is fat!!  I was always a promoter of fitness and exercise...actually helped a handful of patients with diets and exercise routines to get them off of insulin!!  What was so funny about this woman...she was coming in on that day to ask for a script for one of those motorized "scooter" chairs.  She is lucky she didn't see me because I would have laughed in her face!

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 12:29:05 PM »
I should give advice on how to slim down, people are finally starting to notice I lost weight
X

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 02:54:45 PM »

please be sure to share this gift for compassion you have with your daughter.  The world could use more tolerant people in it.   

I hope if she has any problems in her life she is met with the same attitude from people that you give to people. 

I am a very tolerant person!  I have compassion and would lend a hand to anyone who may need it...big or small, young or old! 

Let me explain myself a little better, so you can see where I am coming from.  I am not damning obese people...I was in the medical field for about 6 years, I've seen all sizes of people.  I understand that there are conditions, and medications that cause weight gain, which can sometimes lead to obesity.  The difference in these people and the simply "lazy, fat" people is their way of life.  What I don't agree with, is an obese person constantly crying the blues and not willing to do anything about their size.  All they want to tell you is what they CANT do, instead of trying things to lose the weight.  It may be just me, but I find it hard to have compassion with someone who is 400 lbs and telling you they cant stop drinking 10 cans of Coke a day because it gives them the shakes. (I had a pt tell me that) or telling you they are not willing to stop eating a doz donuts IN 1 SITTING because the smell is intoxicating.  There has to be a point in your life where you take responsibility for your actions! If you are unhappy with you body...whether you are 200 lbs or 500 lbs, do something about it.  They have spent many years of over-eating and no exercizing to get where they are...bitching about it is not going to make the weight come off.  Its hard to look at a patient in physical therapy who has 2nd degree burns over 60% of her body, including her face, who smiles at you while they are trying to walk again, and move their hands normally when you have just left a diet consult with an obese patient who is completely mobile, and has no medical conditions besides what carrying 300lbs of extra weight has caused.  Especially when this obese pt left pissed off because you wont increase their vicodin to 3x a day, because they gained weight and "I just can't feel the effects".  Thats where I have a problem.   

As for my daughter...she will be taught to give compassion and respect EVERY SINGLE person she comes in contact with!!!!!  At the same time...she will be taught responsibility, work ethic, and that NOTHING comes easy! If she has medical problems (God forbid) that cause any kind of distortion to her image, I can only hope she has people like me in her life to help her and keep her head up.  At the same time, if she choses to distort her own image, I will help her to change, but I will NOT enable her.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 03:47:50 PM »
A long time ago, I did volunteer work at a physiotherapy center. Some of the people there were, as you say, inspiring in their will to get better. There were others though who had serious physical disabilities due to their obesity.  Many of them were lazy, chronic complainers... mindfully ignorant that their "painful feet" (I HATED that one), shot knees, diabetes, back problems etc... were self-inflicted due to their refusal to diet and exercise. But some of the stories were also quite saddening... people who had lost hundreds of pounds only to gain them back again. People who were literally addicted to food. I think once it gets to the point where you can't leave your own house, or even walk to the bathroom, you're dealing with a seriously ill person.

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »
A long time ago, I did volunteer work at a physiotherapy center. Some of the people there were, as you say, inspiring in their will to get better. There were others though who had serious physical disabilities due to their obesity.  Many of them were lazy, chronic complainers... mindfully ignorant that their "painful feet" (I HATED that one), shot knees, diabetes, back problems etc... were self-inflicted due to their refusal to diet and exercise. But some of the stories were also quite saddening... people who had lost hundreds of pounds only to gain them back again. People who were literally addicted to food. I think once it gets to the point where you can't leave your own house, or even walk to the bathroom, you're dealing with a seriously ill person.

I agree.  I think it has to be seen, like any other addiction, on a case by case basis.  Maybe my problem is not with obese people...but with those that spend half of their life complaining. 

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »
I must of misunderstood you saying you would of laughed in that woman's face?

You don't have to enable someone, but you could be thankful that you don't have whatever problem it is that made them allow themselves to get that big.   Maybe have some tolerance from that point of view that you don't feel that way about yourself and you would never let yourself sink to that point.

Would I have really laughed in her face...or anyone's face for that matter? NO.  I am not mean or shallow like that.  If anything, I would have kept my opinions to myself.  What I would have done is try to talk some sense into her.  Letting her know that by getting this chair she has a higher chance of gaining more weight and it leading to more problems.  I would have also let her know that being able to walk around with her size should be used more positively, it might be painful at first...but definatly worth it in the long run.

I would prefer to help people get to where they want to be in life rather than cry with them about their problems.  I feel that with life being so short...there is no need to gravel in your own sorrows, but instead work to change them.  That includes any type of problem...from addictions, family, dependencies, jobs, financial issues...etc.  If anyone came to me with a problem...I would do what I could to help them, but I would NOT listen to them bitch about it.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 10:29:30 PM »
Totally OFF-topic, ...but I had to comment.

The above exchange between Tasha & Flower, is a prime example of why we need more women running things in society. If these were two people of another sex, (trying to be PC) ...I think the conversation would have devolved into nasty name calling, insults, and major hostility before anyone even had a chance to clarify their thoughts on the issue. Or the thread would have been all " gee... let's see how many different creative insults can be hurled against the obese..." Women really need to be running things.
w

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 10:45:24 PM »

The above exchange between Tasha & Flower, is a prime example of why we need more women running things in society. If these were two people of another sex, (trying to be PC) ...I think the conversation would have devolved into nasty name calling, insults, and major hostility before anyone even had a chance to clarify their thoughts on the issue. Or the thread would have been all " gee... let's see how many different creative insults can be hurled against the obese..." Women really need to be running things.

Amen! 

I respect others opinions...whether they agree with me or not.  I am open to listening to their side and seeing where they are coming from.  This is a forum board...full of different religions, races, ages, and people in general.  No need to insult...debating is good.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 06:02:56 AM »
There is no excuse for obesity. People are just lazy and their diets are brutal. I saw this one trading spouses episode on t.v where the one wife was very fit, she worked out at a gym, she ate healthy and the other wife was extremely obese, so was her husband and son. What did they do? They ate ding dongs for breakfest, potatoe chips everywhere, take out everyday, 4 hour afternoon naps, etc. People need to start to take control of their health. 

PB

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 06:10:54 AM »

I think it just would depend on the man involved.  I think there are men on here that can have intelligent and mature debates.  But the environment of the message board (and maybe getbig in particular) tends to bend toward taking things to the extreme.

(but I agree, I also appreciate proschic and flower :)  )
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 06:53:04 AM »
damn, well i have officially renounced cheetos and chocolate.  only good stuff for me from now on.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 06:59:09 AM »
I..I..I don't know if i can last..feeling weak, lol

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 07:09:10 AM »
damn, well i have officially renounced cheetos and chocolate.  only good stuff for me from now on.

Migs, if you dont mind please send those goodies to me Im kinda porky and I like it. I dont have to struggle to find 32, 33, or 34 jeans anymore since they are popular sizes. I hip check people at the buffet and people dont crowed me anymore becase I take up 2 seats when I sit down
X

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 07:23:04 AM »
lol

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 12:12:40 PM »
Migs, if you dont mind please send those goodies to me Im kinda porky and I like it. I dont have to struggle to find 32, 33, or 34 jeans anymore since they are popular sizes. I hip check people at the buffet and people dont crowed me anymore becase I take up 2 seats when I sit down

NO NO!!  Send them to me!!!  I am delivering next month and the doc says I am 5lbs underweight.  Its for the welfare of my baby...Migs!!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 12:32:01 PM »
NO NO!!  Send them to me!!!  I am delivering next month and the doc says I am 5lbs underweight.  Its for the welfare of my baby...Migs!!

Geeze, you play dirty!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 03:05:40 PM »

Only if Chic takes back what he said about building forearms  >:(
X

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »
live....let live...

if eating makes ya happy...meh who am i to judge...

so long as ya dont whine when ya get heart disease and blame someone else..
carpe` vaginum!

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »
Only if Chic takes back what he said about building forearms  >:(

haha...Lord, you will have to take that one up with him.  Hopefully his comments on BB won't interfere with me trying to get a big ass.  :-\

Bypass

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 06:16:58 PM »
Interesting topic....

4 years ago, I was one of these people, weighing in at 437lbs, the day of my surgery, the surgery itself was not a crutch, but food was...I used it for everything, Now, I was always big but not fat, in High School, I was 6'4 315, carrying about 17 - 19% bf, and played offensive line in High School and College, however after college, getting married, and settling into a desk job, I let myself go, didn't work out, didn't eat properly, basically I got lazy, and yes I'm not afraid to admit that most obese people, are simply lazy. I used phen/phen, Adkins, worked out, but fell into the yo-yo diet scene...at age 30, I couldn't walk upstairs without gasping for breath, I was so far gone, I saw no other choice than the surgery, the day my surgeon released me from my medical, I went to the nearest personal training studio, and got a personal trainer, and started working out 5 days a week, every morning, I lost 210 lbs, in 6 months, then rebuilt my body up to 255 lbs. Today I am 6'4, 231, with 11.5% bf, and am actually in the fitness industry, for me the surgery was not a crutch, but it was a life saving procedure, and I do from time to time have some guilt pangs, as I think to myself if I had just eaten right and exercised, I would have gotten the same results. The surgery is a kick start, if you have the surgery, but do not change your habits, diet, exercise, life style and deal with the problems in your life that made you what you were before the surgery, you will fail, you will gain the weight back. Having been there, and changed my life, I still reach out to support groups, to show these people that they can change their life, by living a healthy lifestyle, whether they have the surgery or not, as it is not for everyone, you are literally putting your life on the line with the surgery, 95% of the people who die from the surgery do so in the first week from surgery, do to complications...understa nding I'm not defending anyone, but in todays lifestyle, only about 10% of us try and live a healthy lifestyle, I think there should be way more education to our children, look at the number of obese kids out there, yet in the US we continue to cut programs such as Physical Education and Health Classes for our young, and parents instead of getting their kids interested in sports and physical activity, put tv's and xbox's in their rooms, to pacify them...our country is in a sad state...hopefully we wake up soon.

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 07:54:17 PM »
Bypass...

props to you for turning something negative into positive.  For taking a part of your life that you did not like and changing it. 

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »
On the flip side, we have people, especially women who think a size zero is sexy.

Nicole Ritchie comes to mind.  In this society, we are bombarded by what a "perfect physique" should resemble.

It is a major detriment to people as a whole to make us all fit into one type of shape, weight, fitness level.

If you are healthy at 5'5 and weigh 160 lbs, good for you!  If you are healthy at 6'2 and weigh 300lbs good for you.

We as a people shouldn't allow us to think we should fit a basic physical standard.

In the end, we all die.  Enjoy life while you can.

Sandra

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 05:07:56 PM »
On the flip side, we have people, especially women who think a size zero is sexy.

Nicole Ritchie comes to mind.  In this society, we are bombarded by what a "perfect physique" should resemble.

It is a major detriment to people as a whole to make us all fit into one type of shape, weight, fitness level.

If you are healthy at 5'5 and weigh 160 lbs, good for you!  If you are healthy at 6'2 and weigh 300lbs good for you.

We as a people shouldn't allow us to think we should fit a basic physical standard.

In the end, we all die.  Enjoy life while you can.

Sandra

Thats a good point...pay less attention to the number, and more attention to the way you feel.