Author Topic: Shoes for squatting  (Read 2565 times)

LyricTenor

• Getbig III
  • Athiest
Shoes for squatting
« on: November 05, 2006, 12:02:13 PM »
I apologize if this has already been asked but what kind of shoe would you guys recommend for squatting/dealifts etc.  My guess is that a cross trainer type shoe would do the job very well but I was just interested what you guys might recommend.  Thanks in advance.
We work with being, but non-being is what we use.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Shoes for squatting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 01:15:32 PM »
I just wear sneakers. Until you get competitive you shouldn't worry about it too much.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »
i wear nike wrestling shoes they only cost $30.00 and have good ankle support,it is always something i keep in my gym bag

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 02:25:44 PM »
Be sure to wear shoes to support your arches.. Brooks or NB are pretty good.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 05:34:10 PM »
i squat bare footed

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:39:06 PM »
I like wearing basketball shoes whenever I train legs, either the mid height or high tops. They provide great ankle support and their soles are relatively flat compared to running shoes and  cross-trainers. I have an old pair of Jordan's that I have been wearing for the last two years, I love them. Wearing whatever you are the most comfortable in is key, for me it just happens to be basketball shoes. When I train other bodyparts it really doesn't matter as far as what shoes I wear.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 10:38:34 AM »
i squat bear footed
do you really? i've always wanted to try that. I train my calves now bare footed.
bodybuildersreality.com

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 11:41:50 AM »
i wear only socks while doing deads and squats...

you want something flat and firm...some prefer to squat with elevated heels and choose to wear boots.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 12:47:22 PM »
I usually squat bare footed. Better gripping abilities and feel when squating, which a lot of people overlook. (Just a personal note: people might want to do calf work barefooted also for a better feel and stretch) There are DL'ing/squating slippers available, with thin rubber soles that some PL'ers use. Also ballet or martial arts slippers may be worth a look because they tend to be non slip.  I've seen lifters/BB'ers squat with work boots to high grade $130 sport shoes. Take your pick to what makes you feel happy. If shoes worn than one might consider a cross trainer sports shoe fron what I've seen. Olympic Lifters have built up heels for better support/leverage when doing cleans/front squats. Some also have straps around the ankle area. Good Luck.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »
I prefer to wear Converse All Stars. It gives me the same feel as squatting sans shoes.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 03:10:46 AM »
I apologize if this has already been asked but what kind of shoe would you guys recommend for squatting/dealifts etc.  My guess is that a cross trainer type shoe would do the job very well but I was just interested what you guys might recommend.  Thanks in advance.
try nike shox...jay cutler also uses these shoes..keeps your foot firm on the ground
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 04:55:37 AM »
try nike shox...jay cutler also uses these shoes..keeps your foot firm on the ground

shox get crushed by real men squatting...  i think there's some kind of advertising blitz in the bbing community for those crappy overpriced shoes

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 06:37:58 AM »
I prefer to wear Converse All Stars. It gives me the same feel as squatting sans shoes.

;)
Giving 110%

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 06:40:35 AM »
You can get special shoes for squating ..but they cost like 179 bucks!!! so unless your in the olympics, just use your regular shoes
The Number 2 in Scranton

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 07:18:03 AM »
Any shoe with a flat sole is good. Nike 20s, Chuck's...etc.

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 04:17:42 AM »
Try otomix shoes

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 04:36:17 AM »
I wear puma racing shoes for squatting, deadlifting and for calf work. Great ankle support but soft enough as so not to cause discomfort. Although I do recommend heavy workboots for squatting too as the support is also good. Deadlifting is good in just your socks.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 08:31:55 AM »
i squat bear footed

**bare footed

...unless you got really hairy feet i guess..
:P

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 08:45:10 AM »
Squat bare footed. Creates better proprioceptive awareness in your body!

Actually all standing exercises should be done bare footed. MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 08:56:55 AM »
Squat bare footed. Creates better proprioceptive awareness in your body!

Actually all standing exercises should be done bare footed. MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!
naah man thats a bit dangerous.i once tried squatting barefooted and i almost twisted my ankles.its fuckin painfull squatting barefoot
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 11:35:53 PM »
I like wearing basketball shoes whenever I train legs, either the mid height or high tops. They provide great ankle support and their soles are relatively flat compared to running shoes and  cross-trainers. I have an old pair of Jordan's that I have been wearing for the last two years, I love them. Wearing whatever you are the most comfortable in is key, for me it just happens to be basketball shoes. When I train other bodyparts it really doesn't matter as far as what shoes I wear.

I'm with you on this one, I have a pair of 3/4 cut as well that I train legs with. I go bare foot for Donkey raises better feeling in the calves.

DO NOT USE SHOX FOR LEGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a friend that twisted his ankle while using shox, there is no support and the shox are way to flimsy, while under any heavy load.
Just spot me BITCH!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 01:45:05 AM »
**bare footed

monster spell checker  ::)

hey_you

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 12:41:15 PM »
bare foot

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:04 PM »
shox get crushed by real men squatting...  i think there's some kind of advertising blitz in the bbing community for those crappy overpriced shoes
Agreed. I have several pairs of shox but I never ever wear them on leg day...they are worthless for leg training.

I squat and do calves bare foot as well. The first time I did it, it took some getting used to, but I find it much easier to keep my feet flat without shoes. Been doing it this way for a few years and do not plan on stopping.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:05 PM »
Nike 20s