Author Topic: 100 pullups  (Read 7775 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: 100 pullups
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 09:03:44 AM »
As luck, or coincidence would have it, yesterday I did pullups as part of my lats workout.  Here was the routine which I'm pretty proud of because it took about one year to work up to this:

SET ONE: 26 reps (weightless)
SET TWO: 13 x 25lbs (13 reps with a 25lb plate on a belt)
SET THREE: 18 reps
SET FOUR: 11 x 35lbs
SET FIVE: 15 reps
SET SIX: 10 x 45lbs
SET SEVEN: 18 reps
SET EIGHT: 9 x 55lbs

TOTAL REPS: 120

Although I suspect some of you may say this is excessive (and, by the way, I admit to taking breaks in between sets of up to five minutes), for the first time in my life, my lats are coming along quickly.  So if it's not broke . . .

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 01:56:43 PM »
As luck, or coincidence would have it, yesterday I did pullups as part of my lats workout.  Here was the routine which I'm pretty proud of because it took about one year to work up to this:

Although I suspect some of you may say this is excessive (and, by the way, I admit to taking breaks in between sets of up to five minutes), for the first time in my life, my lats are coming along quickly.  So if it's not broke . . .
if this is true your a fucking monster!

man i did my 120 pullups on monday and im still sore! and my outer chest, of all things, is the most sore!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
if this is true your a fucking monster!

man i did my 120 pullups on monday and im still sore! and my outer chest, of all things, is the most sore!

I realize it's qualified with "if true," but nevertheless, thanks, that's the first time I've been called a "monster."  I really worked hard to get up to that point!  Now if only I had similar results for benching (weight very average for my size).

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 01:33:44 AM »
I realize it's qualified with "if true," but nevertheless, thanks, that's the first time I've been called a "monster."  I really worked hard to get up to that point!  Now if only I had similar results for benching (weight very average for my size).

Was that all u did for ur abck that day, I dont mean that to sound like im puting down what u did, looks like sum awesome work mate, just wandered if u did other things on top?
So u wer doing body weight sets alternated with weighted sets?!

Good work mate, monster hehe.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 01:42:10 AM »
fuck... i gotta drop a few pounds... sets of 10 kill me....  :-\

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 07:36:13 AM »
Was that all u did for ur abck that day, I dont mean that to sound like im puting down what u did, looks like sum awesome work mate, just wandered if u did other things on top?
So u wer doing body weight sets alternated with weighted sets?!

Good work mate, monster hehe.

davie

Good question.  I did only one other exercise that day for back.  Three sets of barbell rows.  (I do traps on a different day with delts).  I alternate body weight sets with weighted sets because the higher rep bodyweight sets seem to keep the lat muscles flushed with blood.  The escalating weight sets are out of respect for the principle of trying to increase the overall strength of the muscle and hence the size (One goal, maybe a dream, would be to do 20 reps weighted with 100lbs!).

Thanks for all the good questions and positive feedback.  I try to return it when I can.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 09:11:47 AM »
Watched a Bud of mine on wednesday do set's of 7-9 reps with 220 strapped on (2 sets). Bwt 235.   Hammer grip. Did 245 for 3's the last couple of sets. Said he used to do 100's all the time but it just got boring for him. And his body got too use to it. He was saying that most guy's don't challenge themselves with chin's, because at first most guy's are very weak in the exercise. They try for 10-12 reps and pretty much stick to that rep patten. They may add 20 -30 lbs max after awhile, but stay with 10-12 reps. When he began dropping the rep's (4-6) and kept adding weight just about every workout to the chins, his development and strength greatly increased. Also changed grips from wide to medium and narrow.He also did chins behind the neck with heavy weights. The posterior delts are outstanding. Now this Bud of mine stands about 5"11, with extra wide, thick lats. He does have to turn sideways to get through a normal size doorway. Good Luck.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 09:22:50 AM »
Watched a Bud of mine on wednesday do set's of 7-9 reps with 220 strapped on (2 sets). Bwt 235.   Hammer grip. Did 245 for 3's the last couple of sets. Said he used to do 100's all the time but it just got boring for him. And his body got too use to it. He was saying that most guy's don't challenge themselves with chin's, because at first most guy's are very weak in the exercise. They try for 10-12 reps and pretty much stick to that rep patten. They may add 20 -30 lbs max after awhile, but stay with 10-12 reps. When he began dropping the rep's (4-6) and kept adding weight just about every workout to the chins, his development and strength greatly increased. Also changed grips from wide to medium and narrow.He also did chins behind the neck with heavy weights. The posterior delts are outstanding. Now this Bud of mine stands about 5"11, with extra wide, thick lats. He does have to turn sideways to get through a normal size doorway. Good Luck.

Very inspirational.  It lets me see what can be accomplished!  Thanks.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 10:10:20 AM »
Very inspirational.  It lets me see what can be accomplished!  Thanks.

So is that ur usual routine,
Chins followed by 3 sets rows, pretty basiv, good stuff!!

What sort of grip do u have??

davie

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2006, 10:36:44 AM »
So is that ur usual routine,
Chins followed by 3 sets rows, pretty basiv, good stuff!!

What sort of grip do u have??

davie
It is my usual, once per week, routine.  I was trying to do it twice per week but my strength started declining. I use an overhanded wide grip.  I usually call them "pullups" so as to distinguish from "chinups" which I think of as underhanded.  The pullup work has had the added benefit of strengthening my grip.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 02:10:01 PM »
It is my usual, once per week, routine.  I was trying to do it twice per week but my strength started declining. I use an overhanded wide grip.  I usually call them "pullups" so as to distinguish from "chinups" which I think of as underhanded.  The pullup work has had the added benefit of strengthening my grip.

Kul i currently do a few sets with grip about shoulder width and palms facing each other, what difference do u think that makes??

Even with little rowing work happening, do u think this has really helped ur back increase in size?

davie

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 03:19:22 PM »
im horrible at pullups (we are talking wide grip chins right?) the most i can do in one set is about 12-15. I really want to get better at them.
me too. 215 lbs is a lot of weight to move around. i normally stick to pull down because i can geta  better contraction thatw ay...with body weigth pull ups i end up incorporating more biceps.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »
Kul i currently do a few sets with grip about shoulder width and palms facing each other, what difference do u think that makes??

Even with little rowing work happening, do u think this has really helped ur back increase in size?

davie

I really have become a big advocate of the pullups over other exercizes.  My home set up does not allow for the palms facing each other.  I should experiment with more widths and angles.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2006, 03:59:29 PM »
I really havbe become a bid advocate of the pullups over other exercizes.  My home set up does not allow for the palms facing each other.  I should experiment with more widths and angles.

Ropes tied round centre ceiling beam in my garage means i do them palms facing, lol.
I cant do them in my gym i train at as the ceilings to low and they dont have chin/pullup bar.

davie

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2006, 04:01:39 PM »
My main back exercises are t-bar rows followed by Db rows.

with few sets palms facing chins wen i get home.

Do u believe ur chin up set up has contributed to back size over normal set ups??

Do u do similar set ups on other body parts??

davie

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 08:15:46 AM »
My main back exercises are t-bar rows followed by Db rows.

with few sets palms facing chins wen i get home.

Do u believe ur chin up set up has contributed to back size over normal set ups??

Do u do similar set ups on other body parts??

davie

I believe the pull ups have worked as well as any exercise, but my routine like most is constantly evolving and when the progress slows, then on to the more traditional regimen.

I do chins (underhand grip) as part of my biceps routine before turning to more conventional exercises, supersetting ez curls and cable curls, hammer curls, DB incline curls.  I find the continuous tension the biceps are placed under with chins are advantageous.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »

just one word...BULLSHIT
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »
just one word...BULLSHIT

I don't see the point in posting something that's not true (as you will see above, I fessed up to a subpar bench weight).  I am too proud with what I accomplished to let someone diminish it so. . . I will put my money where my mouth is-  if you're in So Cal I invite you to a PERSONAL demonstration at my home gym or a gym in the LA area.  If there is another getbigger in the area that you wish to designate to observe the demonstration in your place, that can be arranged as well. 

Please IM me with whether you will accept my offer, we will work out the details and then I expect you to honestly report on the results on this site.  I look forward to hearing from you.