Author Topic: How many sets while ON CYCLE  (Read 1754 times)

jetty

• Getbig II
How many sets while ON CYCLE
« on: November 08, 2006, 06:35:07 AM »
When your ON CYCLE how many sets per bodypart sould you be doing?  Since i have a new partner who believes in training until failur 60% of the time and doing 12-15 sets per bodypart I find myself crying "uncle" after every workout.  I'm definitely growing but don't want to induce overtraining since my diet is starting to tighten up.  Just curious what you guys thought.  Yesterday my chest workout went like so.

Incline DB Bench - 15-12-10-10
Decline Barbell Bench - 12-10-5-4
Flat DB Bench   12-10-10-10
Pec Deck Machine 3x10
Shrugs 3X12

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: How many sets while ON CYCLE
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 06:56:24 AM »
If it's working, generally follow the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Roids help recovery and endurance.

If you want to use a couple of workouts to try less sets and compare results, use higher intensity on the remaining sets:

-3 sets on bench and pec deck, then reduce the other chest sets.

Either:

-Leave out either declines or inclines each workout, substitute the missed exercise for the other the next workout for 3 sets ie inclines one workout, declines the next. Total 9 sets for chest.

Or:

-Do do only 2 sets of inclines, 2 of declines, 3 each of regular bench and deck, total 10 sets. 2 sets will work if max. intensity's applied, and if needed, if regular benches are done first to pre-exhaust.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 08:13:56 AM »
Assuming that 'On Cycle' mean steroids, you can get away with just about anything with regards to training. Though for how long is another question. You may be gaining now but your growing pattern will not last forever. Usually an intense program will take a toll if failure is approached, more times than not, in every workout. Your example is just for the chest (15 sets). What about the other muscle group(s) you would do on a workout day. Or do you just do one body part per workout day? A 6 to 8 week training plan is about the average span of that style of intense programing.

I know with your new training Bud you have to keep up the pace, with so many set's/exercises. And your locked in as to how he trains. But to be realistic, if that form of training does not suit your body, you may approach the point of making very slow gains (even with 'roids...don't work the same for everyone) to negative results for time invested.

Nine sets max, per muscle group, seems to work the best for a lot of men. Anything more is redundant and a waste of time. Exceptions would be special programs like 10X10's, 10X3's, Giant sets, etc. Just some suggestions. Good Luck.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »
they'll just help you recover faster..no necessarily requires changing much of anything routine wise except more weight or this or that here and there as you progress that i've seen.  I never upped mine and just went with it as my strength increased when on.

jetty

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:07:35 AM »
I'm running my second cycle which is 17 weeks.

Test Enthatate 375mg/week
Equipoise  600mg/week
Already front loaded with Var and winny and plan on coming off with var at 80 mg/ED.

I've always gauged a workout program by 3 things: 1. strength 2. look in mirror.  3. how sore do i stay.

I normally only do about 10-12 sets per body part but the missing ingredient here is that we are annihilating our body's with dropsets and training until failure.  I may cut back especially now that i'm tightening up the diet.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 09:11:24 AM »
You're welcome.