Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 7018 times)

proschic

• Getbig III
  • like a midget in a urinal.....
Thanksgiving
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:36:18 PM »
I'm being nosey....

what is everyone's plans for thanksgiving?  is it day for family...or alone time with turkey dinner and football?

Bob and I have having our "misfits" (the group of bb industry people whom don't have family in california) over.  Probably only 6 or 8 people.  I'm taking on my wifey role and cooking the turkey and dressing!!  Please pray that I don't burn my new house down. :0)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:40:52 PM »
I I'm taking on my wifey role and cooking the turkey and dressing!!  Please pray that I don't burn my new house down. :0)

Turkey on the grill (Weber) is OOOHHHH SOOOO easy & frees up space in the oven.  It comes out looking like a perfect Betty Crocker picture and the smokey grill flavor is YUMMY.  Let me know if you're interested in "how to".
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 09:06:43 PM »
Just having the family and some friends over.  I'm cooking most of it so that is always fun.  Sounds good princess L

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:49:52 PM »

Turkey on the grill (Weber) is OOOHHHH SOOOO easy & frees up space in the oven.  It comes out looking like a perfect Betty Crocker picture and the smokey grill flavor is YUMMY.  Let me know if you're interested in "how to".

yummy princess....is a gas grill like a weber?  sorry if I sound like a goober for asking...i would love to learn how (then I can put Bob to work on the grill while I handle the inside stuff).  We have a gas grill, can it be cooked on that?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:55:48 PM »
yummy princess....is a gas grill like a weber?  sorry if I sound like a goober for asking...i would love to learn how (then I can put Bob to work on the grill while I handle the inside stuff).  We have a gas grill, can it be cooked on that?

I'm only familiar with the good 'ol fashioned Weber kettle  :-\  sorry...  I hear the Reynolds cooking bags work well for regular oven roasting...
:

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 05:20:48 AM »
Best holiday (for me), We get together with the wife's family and mine at in laws house, everyone is usually on good behavior and we talk and joke around all day while eating from 10am to somewhere close to 9 pm, throw in football on the tv and a light nap and some outdoor nerf toss with the kids and its a really great time. Only wish had fri and sat off.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:55:09 AM »

I'm only familiar with the good 'ol fashioned Weber kettle  :-\  sorry...  I hear the Reynolds cooking bags work well for regular oven roasting...

They are Princess! Wifey makes them that way and they are ALWAYS super tender and juicy!!and no more need to baste them every half hour or so!
X

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 07:02:37 AM »
I'm being nosey....

what is everyone's plans for thanksgiving?  is it day for family...or alone time with turkey dinner and football?

Bob and I have having our "misfits" (the group of bb industry people whom don't have family in california) over.  Probably only 6 or 8 people.  I'm taking on my wifey role and cooking the turkey and dressing!!  Please pray that I don't burn my new house down. :0)
Well, I would love to have thanksgiving dinner but here in Canada we had ours last month...and boy was the food amazing!!!

PB

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 07:33:56 AM »
They are Princess! Wifey makes them that way and they are ALWAYS super tender and juicy!!and no more need to baste them every half hour or so!

i brine the turkey, never need to baste it.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 07:48:59 AM »
I celebrate both Thanksgivings!  :D

It started out the first time I became an expat and got homesick the first year. Organized a Canadian thanksgiving with about 10 US friends and after that it became a tradition. Now I find it really great practice... since something always gets messed up the first time around.  Either I forget the timing with the convection oven thing... or an argument breaks out at the table, etc. By November, everything's perfect... then you just sail into Christmas.  :)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 07:49:32 AM »
i brine the turkey, never need to baste it.

Do tell Miggys ole boy?
X

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 07:59:11 AM »
Brining is so much work...  plus when you have a convection oven, you get the same result.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »
We're heading up to see my wife's folks.  I'm really excited about going up to hang out with her family.  Great people.  We'll be eating lots of food, watching alot of football, and taking plenty of naps.   ;D  It'll be great to hang out with my brother-in-law and father-in-law.  I love seeing my kids playing with their cousins.  We'll probably take all the grandkids to see the movie "Happy Feet" while we're there. 

I'm just looking forward to spending time with my wife and my kids and getting away from the rat race.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »
Brining is so much work...  plus when you have a convection oven, you get the same result.

brining is very easy deedee.  I get a large bucket, like what you find at the home supply store.  then add my broth, salt, peppercorns, etc and dump the turkey in.  no problemos.  Then i make a mushroom and onion soup, ahh good times.  Might make some roasted garlic blue cheese mashed potatoes, haricot vert with toasted sliverd almond and citrus dust and then not sure what else.  I'll do a ham or maybe debone a chicken and stuff it with pork,veal, mushrooma d brandy then bake it.   not sure i want to poultry items so maybe just a ham.  Then i have to get the cheese plate together.  Not sure whether to bake or buy the desserts

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 09:18:31 AM »
ummmm... when are you coming over?  :P

Seriously, so what do you do with the bucket? You have to brine a turkey for at least 10-12 hours, so do you empty out the whole fridge? Plus, all the salt...  :-\ We're having mashed sweet potatoes + twice baked potatoes with chives and fromage, lowfat walnut/celery stuffing (which I invented and it's actually good) stewed cranberries 'n apples, stuffed mushrooms, finished off with green salad, then lower fat pumpkin pie (which I invented and it's actually good) with whipped cream and then the fromages... then major coma time.  :)

Your mashed potatoes with blue cheese sound very good... so do the haricots vert with slivered almonds and citrus dust.  :)

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »
brining is very easy deedee.  I get a large bucket, like what you find at the home supply store.  then add my broth, salt, peppercorns, etc and dump the turkey in.  no problemos.  Then i make a mushroom and onion soup, ahh good times.  Might make some roasted garlic blue cheese mashed potatoes, haricot vert with toasted sliverd almond and citrus dust and then not sure what else.  I'll do a ham or maybe debone a chicken and stuff it with pork,veal, mushrooma d brandy then bake it.   not sure i want to poultry items so maybe just a ham.  Then i have to get the cheese plate together.  Not sure whether to bake or buy the desserts

geez migs.....i need you at my house! 

does anyone know how to make corn cassarole?  its an old southern tradition my grandma used to make...problem is...grandma is old and lost her mind, so she cant tell me how to do it.  My mother wouldn't know how to turn the oven on...so she is out as well. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »
Tasha is that the kind w/the Jiffy Mix? 

And roasting a turkey in the bag always results very juicy and tender meat :)

For a desert this year I BOUGHT a Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake. ;D 
R

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »
If it is... then it's really easy to make.

But I bet Miggy has an excellent Corn Casserole recipe.  :P

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 10:14:34 AM »
Tasha is that the kind w/the Jiffy Mix? 

i really don't know...i know my gma used to have an entire part of the cabinet dedicated to her jiffy mix!  So there is a possibility.  i looked around on the internet...but the ones they have listed look different. 

Migs...do you have any clue on this?  you seem to know your shit when it comes to the kitchen.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 10:28:16 AM »
We're heading up to see my wife's folks.  I'm really excited about going up to hang out with her family.  Great people.  We'll be eating lots of food, watching alot of football, and taking plenty of naps.    ;D  It'll be great to hang out with my brother-in-law and father-in-law.  I love seeing my kids playing with their cousins.  We'll probably take all the grandkids to see the movie "Happy Feet" while we're there. 

I'm just looking forward to spending time with my wife and my kids and getting away from the rat race.

Does anything else really matter?   ;D  I'll be doing the same thing. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 11:05:43 AM »
OK, I'm buying a plane ticket to Atlanta...via Montreal.  You guys have me salivating :P

I always celebrate both Thanksgivings as well, but this year I was beginning to think if I saw anymore Turkey, I'd toss my cookies... but you guys are sooo tempting me.
w

msbarbelle

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 01:12:15 PM »

Baked Corn Casserole
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 (2 oz) jar pimiento, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
red pepper, to taste
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 cup cracker crumbs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter -- melted
Combine all ingredients in order given; mix well.
Pour into greased 2-quart ovenproof casserole.
Bake at 350° for 1 hour.

is this what y'all are looking for? there are a few different ways to fix it.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »
ummmm... when are you coming over?  :P

Seriously, so what do you do with the bucket? You have to brine a turkey for at least 10-12 hours, so do you empty out the whole fridge? Plus, all the salt...  :-\ We're having mashed sweet potatoes + twice baked potatoes with chives and fromage, lowfat walnut/celery stuffing (which I invented and it's actually good) stewed cranberries 'n apples, stuffed mushrooms, finished off with green salad, then lower fat pumpkin pie (which I invented and it's actually good) with whipped cream and then the fromages... then major coma time.  :)

Your mashed potatoes with blue cheese sound very good... so do the haricots vert with slivered almonds and citrus dust.  :)

whenever you want dear! No i arrange my fridge so that the bucket fits onthe bottom shelf.  i can pack a fridge like no ones business.  I gernnaly have evertying in containers and the smallest size i need to conserve space, very organized.  Actually not that much salt gets into the turkey.  I make my stock with very littels alt since i will add salt to the liquid later.  i make it the day before and then put the bird in there and thats it.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 03:02:05 PM »
OK, I'm buying a plane ticket to Atlanta...via Montreal.  You guys have me salivating :P

I always celebrate both Thanksgivings as well, but this year I was beginning to think if I saw anymore Turkey, I'd toss my cookies... but you guys are sooo tempting me.

there is always room for ya here jags. 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 03:12:31 PM »
i really don't know...i know my gma used to have an entire part of the cabinet dedicated to her jiffy mix!  So there is a possibility.  i looked around on the internet...but the ones they have listed look different. 

Migs...do you have any clue on this?  you seem to know your shit when it comes to the kitchen.

here are a few recipes that i have.  Let me know if any of it looks familiar:

4 cups sweet corn
1/2 cut green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a shallow baking dish, combine the green pepper, red pepper, onion and garlic. Mix well.

Add the chili pepper and cheese. Stir in the eggs and cream. Bake for 1 hour until the casserole is set at 375 degrees.

OR

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

OR

1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 stick butter, melted (or 1/2 c. oil)
1 c. sour cream
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (opt.)
Shredded cheese (opt.)

Mix all ingredients except cheese. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, if desired. Bake in casserole dish or 9"x13" baking dish for 30 to 45 minutes or until fully cooked in center.