Author Topic: Close Grip Bench  (Read 1614 times)

FW_Scott

• Getbig II
Close Grip Bench
« on: November 15, 2006, 05:18:37 PM »
I just got back from the gym, tried close grip bench for the first time and didn't feel like I got a hole lot out of it.   Tell me, you go about shoulder width apart and do a norma full range bench press?
Thanks

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Close Grip Bench
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 05:28:12 PM »
I just got back from the gym, tried close grip bench for the first time and didn't feel like I got a hole lot out of it.   Tell me, you go about shoulder width apart and do a norma full range bench press?
Thanks

I have the spacing so my thumbs are about 8-10 inches apart;  so its closer than shoulder width.  Also make sure to keeps your elbows tucked in close to your body and the reps full range, so all the way down to your chest to full lockout.  Keep the weight heavy, 6-8 reps for 3 sets at the beginning of your workout when your fresh.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:42:17 PM »
I keep hurting myself doing them with a regular barbell so now i just go into them after a set of skulls with the cambered bar. HUGE pump.
bodybuildersreality.com

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:25:32 PM »
Thanks

If you did them on the olympic bar, keep your hands on the inside smooth part of the bar off the knerl, keep your hands tucked in to your sides and lower the bar to just above the center of your sternum, I use a tempo method of counting reps usually 4-0-1.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:05:34 AM »
Good advice given, including the use of an e-z curl bar or keeping the hands on the inside of the bar, with elbows in. Try also a thumbless grip. Try both full ROM and stopping short of the chest and see what works best.

One other version worth trying is close-grips on a smith machine. Great pump, with no balance issues to distract. Possibly the best version of all for anyone who has access to an old vertical leg press is to do close-grips using the board.

If none of those appeal, try alternatives such as bench dips or dip machines.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:35:19 AM »
I don't really agree with all the previous advices.

I think shoulder width is fine. Lower the weight slightly more towards the stomach, but that will be the natural path as well, so as you put more weight on, that's how you will put up the lift.

Load up weight on the bar, as this excersise should IMO be heavy.

Keep it fairly low reps - heavy weight.

I dunno your normal rep range, but 5-8 reps would be a good idea.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:58:32 AM »
I don't really agree with all the previous advices.
Silly

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 04:29:34 AM »
If it's the first time,
don't be really surprised.

After a couple of times their should be some results.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 05:06:49 AM »
Look up the Kuclo vid on youtube where he does close grip with 315 I think, he uses a pretty wide grip but it seems to give a great pump.

FW_Scott

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 05:13:07 AM »
Thanks, I will incorp the above advice and see what works best.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 05:56:06 AM »
Its simple.  You want your arms from elbow to hand to be in a straight line, you don't want that part of your arm to look as if its angled in or angled out.

I do hope you are doing these for triceps, i'm going to assume  you know t least that much.

One more tip, never let anyone talk you into doing reverse grip bench for triceps, that puts the most horrid strain on your elbow tendon that you can create.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

DarthNemesis21

• Getbig II
  • The darkside makes you stonger.Gives you focus!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 08:58:36 PM »
If you did them on the olympic bar, keep your hands on the inside smooth part of the bar off the knerl, keep your hands tucked in to your sides and lower the bar to just above the center of your sternum, I use a tempo method of counting reps usually 4-0-1.
Agreed.
Love 'em.The meat N' 'taters of my triceps training.
Could use the smith machine till you get use to balancing the bar.Or mix things up a bit.
give in to the darkside