Author Topic: Who was the better Van Halen frontman?  (Read 26437 times)

Grundle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • "Ruining lives and ratting on friends since '93"
Re: Who was the better Van Halen frontman?
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »
Like I said, I've got literally hundreds of bootlegs and the really early stuff they sound really good on, pre VH1 is all good.  I thought everyone sucked on the US fest, I have a couple of shows from fair warnings and they're ok.  I've got 2 or 3 shows from 1984 and they're almost unlistenable at times, they're all audience recordings but they're terrible.  The band sounded alot better on the 5150 tour, I don't know if it was a different sound system or what.  I've also got Dave live in Fresno form 86 and it's good but I've got video from him in Detroit and it's terrible...bootlegs are pretty much all over the place.  Every recording I have from the f**k and Balance tours are awsome sound wise....teh 04 tour is all over the place.  Dave was terrible in 94 but better in 02.  Sam has sounded great everytime I've seen him, he can't hit all the notes anymore but his voice is in pretty good shape....

Sound quality was always good in the Van Hagar era, but the shows were cut and dry, predictable, dull.  I'll take a few flubbed lines or a missed note here and there if it means I get back the raw power and emotion of the Roth era.
Int. Fed.of Booty Bandits

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2006, 01:06:43 PM »
Sound quality was always good in the Van Hagar era, but the shows were cut and dry, predictable, dull.  I'll take a few flubbed lines or a missed note here and there if it means I get back the raw power and emotion of the Roth era.

the balance tour and the 04 tour were very predictable.  the tours with hagar prior to that were pretty good, they played alot of cool covers and did a ton of jams, I've got them doing zepplin songs, rolling stone songs, montrose, cream, the who...lots of stuff.  this went on right up until the balance tour and then it was pretty predictalbe.  Ever hear Wildthing form the 86 tour?  Very cool..or heartbreak hotel from the diver down tour?
nasser=piece of shit

AVBG

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2007, 02:51:03 PM »
Sammy..  :D

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2007, 06:48:33 PM »
Sammy

Of course you would say that, you douchebag queer.

AVBG

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2007, 07:15:58 PM »
Of course you would say that, you douchebag queer.

who's your favorite? Cherone ? ;D

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2007, 05:20:16 AM »

I just loaded a bunch of III stuff onto my IPOD, live stuff like Romeo Delight and Mean Streets...they did a radio broadcast from Philly I think so it's CD quality stuff.

man, it's almost unlistenable at some points.  What the hell were they thinking with this stuff? 

If you want to hear a great CD go out and get yourself Marching to Mars by Hagar from 97, awsome from begining to end.  Check out a song called leaving the Warmth of the Womb-it was pesented by Sam to VH for what would have been the next VH CD and Eddie loved it.  Sam ended up recording it with Montrose, it's just a bad ass song.  Lots of great stuff on there.
nasser=piece of shit

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2007, 10:48:47 AM »

Roth, you yard ape.

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »
DLR!