Author Topic: why do gym trainers don't encourage FRONT SQUATS?  (Read 1842 times)

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
why do gym trainers don't encourage FRONT SQUATS?
« on: November 19, 2006, 12:38:23 AM »
no one i mean absolutely no one does front squats in my gym..also even the pro bodybuilders avoid front squats..there are just a handful of pros who do front squats scuh as jay cutler,ronnie to name a few...so why are front squats considered that hard to do?
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: why do gym trainers don't encourage FRONT SQUATS?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 02:52:06 AM »
no one i mean absolutely no one does front squats in my gym..also even the pro bodybuilders avoid front squats..there are just a handful of pros who do front squats scuh as jay cutler,ronnie to name a few...so why are front squats considered that hard to do?

Maybe because it takes a while to get used to having bar accross shoulders, also sum people do them with a clean type grip (elbows high and out infront). Also they can put more pressure on lower back as the weight is pulling u foreward and ur having to work to stay upright.

I like um tho so there u go!!!!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:06:29 AM »
They don't seem to be worth the "flimsyness" of the movement rendering them useless in the eyes of many trainers

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 03:41:33 AM »
They don't seem to be worth the "flimsyness" of the movement rendering them useless in the eyes of many trainers

There very good (with heals raised) for focusing more emphasis on the quads and off hams/ass. Also good at hitting tear drop better than regular squats. Not as a fulltime replacement but as alternative.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 05:38:45 AM »
Why should trainers encourage front squats?

-Standard squats are more effective for most.

-Balance issues = potentially dangerous to do front squats until quite familiar with them. Some like a Smith Machine for front squats-not only for the feel but also because it removes much of the balance issue.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 09:44:52 AM »

Because it too hard to teach, unless you can teach people on the smith, but the problem with that is when they make the transition from smith to freebar their balance in un-coordinanted, I use front squats with my athletes for a number of reasons but the main reason is it dramatically cuts down on lower back injuries and developes overall explosivness in the quads by balancing out that area of strength.

Things have changed in bodybuilding training, they train more like powerlifters than bodybuilders and most neglect targeting one area, IMO, this is complete lazy training if you're a bodybuilder, but I must say it looks like more and more are going back to volume training!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:21:18 AM »
Also good at hitting tear drop better than regular squats. Not as a fulltime replacement but as alternative.

Front squats HURT LIKE HELL on my shoulders no matter how light the weight.  I feel I've tried everything and they're just not for me.  My 'teardrop' is big enough anyway  :P

I never see box squats done anymore.  Should I do them regularly or just every so often?
I do them all the time (kind of a psychological safety net).  I just use the box to "tap" down.  Works great.
:

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:22:05 AM »

-Balance issues = potentially dangerous to do front squats until quite familiar with them. Some like a Smith Machine for front squats-not only for the feel but also because it removes much of the balance issue.
for me its the opposite. i almost fall over everytime i try to squat anything over 225...but smith machine front squats i can rep with 275lbs all day long.    
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
I never see box squats done anymore.  Should I do them regularly or just every so often?

Yes, at least once a week, In your case you don't have to go that heavy, remember what I told you awhile ago, sit, roll your hips foward and explode up, it will strengthen your low back and hip rotators and flexors, if your gym has a safety bar, then use it instead of an olympic bar!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »
for me its the opposite. i almost fall over everytime i try to squat anything over 225.

There is a solution for that, I'll get to it in a little bit!

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 03:57:20 AM »
A front squat has only little room for error, and the excersise can be harsh for your frontshoulders.

So not for pussies.

There's also a small percentage of people who can't perform the excersise cause they can't handle the bar due to their throat.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 04:10:53 AM »
There is a solution for that, I'll get to it in a little bit!

I have the same problem with squats. I am relatively tall/long legged.I am only 5'11 but I cannot actually squat down below parallel without leaning way forward..even with no weight.It helps a little to put something under my heels. I know my form has to look bad,I always go below parallel but I just lean way fwd.I feel it a lot in my lower back,but my quads are always very sore the next day.I have always been told to think of sitting on the toilet..but I can't squat down without leaning fwd...even without a bar.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 02:48:52 AM »
There's to much tension if you can't squat ass-to-floor without weights.
Try box-squat or bench-squat, bench should be around parallel, only with a bar.

Your technique, as in bodycontrol, isn't right.
Everybody should be able to squat and stand up again.
Master in your freetime an asian sit-technique;

couldn't find a other pic.
Squat and get up again.

A other problem could be your clothes,
the pro's wear the stupidious short-trousers with a reason.