Author Topic: Sex with under 16's - a grey area.  (Read 3278 times)

JasonH

• Getbig V
Sex with under 16's - a grey area.
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:38:21 AM »
A chief constable has said that young men who have sex with girls aged 13 or over should not necessarily be classed as paedophiles.
Dyfed-Powys chief Terry Grange said he believed the word "paedophile" should only apply to older men who have sex with prepubescents.

He said it would not be possible to prosecute all boys who have sex with girls who are under 16 but over 12.

The charity Kidscape said the police chief was "on very dicey ground".

In England, Wales and Scotland, anyone who has sex with a boy or girl under the age of 16 has committed an offence. The age in Northern Ireland is 17.

If the child is 13 or older and consenting, the offence is classed as "unlawful sexual intercourse".

But if they are under 13 the offence is rape.

Mr Grange, chief constable of Dyfed-Powys police and spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers on child protection and managing sex offenders, said his views reflected this "grey area".

He told the BBC the "grey area" related to situations where "the girl is 13, 14, 15 and the boy is 16, 17, 18, 19, possibly 20".

He said: "If you prosecute each and every time a boy has sex with a girl under 16 and above 12, then we'd be in the schools across Britain, and in the youth clubs across Britain pretty regularly because, since I've been alive, it's been pretty normal.

"It's what teenagers do."

He said the age of consent was "artificial" and varied from culture to culture.

"The 16 age thing is an artificial barrier that we have in Britain. They have different artificial barriers in other countries," he said.

But he said sex between a man over 20 and a girl under 13 was clearly rape and UK law reflected this.

"If the fella concerned - usually a man - is in his 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, then I believe you should prosecute them ruthlessly, and the law allows for that," he said.

In a separate, earlier interview with the Sunday Times, Mr Grange was asked how he would define paedophilia.

His exemptions from the definition ranged from teenage boys to men in their 30s, which differed from his later interview with the BBC in which he said the upper limit was 20.

He said: "We are talking about very young people [when] it is paedophilia, and I wouldn't want to mix up kids who are just the wrong side of 16 with paedophiles.

"I don't actually personally adhere to the 15-year-old being with a 20-year-old boyfriend being paedophilia, or even if the boyfriend is 30."

Official government guidance on prosecuting suggests that teenagers who have sex when one of them is below 16 should not necessary be prosecuted.

Mr Grange, who stressed his views were personal, said: "You take a look at the circumstances and try to make the right decision for that case.

"It may be nothing, it may be formal warnings, it may be prosecution."

Michelle Elliott, the director of charity Kidscape, which campaigns to keep children safe from harm or abuse, told BBC Five Live that using puberty as a guide to sexual maturity was difficult.

"Girls, nine, 10 and 11 are now post-pubescent. They're wearing bras, they're having their periods. They are no longer children in his definition.

"So I think he's on very dicey ground here. I think he was probably trying to bring up the teenage issue, and maybe got himself in deeper than he meant."

Discuss.  :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Sex with under 16's - a grey area.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 07:59:18 AM »
I'm completely fucking lost, I thought a child was under 13.

wiki: A child (plural: children). Precise definitions vary; is the offspring, of any age, of two people. The American Heritage Dictionary[1] defined a child as an individual who has not yet reached puberty.

13 to 19 is a teenager... This is not difficult...  Everyone I have ever known aside from Randy Rhoades has defined a pedophile as someone who want to or does sleep with children, 13 or under... pre-puberty.  So someone who sleeps with a teen up to the age of consent is breaking the law but not a pedo...

Wiki: The Convention on the Rights of the Child defines a child as "every human being below the age of 18 years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier".[2] now this interesting because the legal definition is different from common knowledge of the definition of child... Lawyers are always in their own world... so technically a teen who is 16 and attracted to a teen who is 14 is a pedophile under lawyerspeak....

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:00:23 AM »
A chief constable has said that young men who have sex with girls aged 13 or over should not necessarily be classed as paedophiles.
Dyfed-Powys chief Terry Grange said he believed the word "paedophile" should only apply to older men who have sex with prepubescents.

He said it would not be possible to prosecute all boys who have sex with girls who are under 16 but over 12.

The charity Kidscape said the police chief was "on very dicey ground".

In England, Wales and Scotland, anyone who has sex with a boy or girl under the age of 16 has committed an offence. The age in Northern Ireland is 17.

If the child is 13 or older and consenting, the offence is classed as "unlawful sexual intercourse".

But if they are under 13 the offence is rape.

Mr Grange, chief constable of Dyfed-Powys police and spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers on child protection and managing sex offenders, said his views reflected this "grey area".

He told the BBC the "grey area" related to situations where "the girl is 13, 14, 15 and the boy is 16, 17, 18, 19, possibly 20".

He said: "If you prosecute each and every time a boy has sex with a girl under 16 and above 12, then we'd be in the schools across Britain, and in the youth clubs across Britain pretty regularly because, since I've been alive, it's been pretty normal.

"It's what teenagers do."

He said the age of consent was "artificial" and varied from culture to culture.

"The 16 age thing is an artificial barrier that we have in Britain. They have different artificial barriers in other countries," he said.

But he said sex between a man over 20 and a girl under 13 was clearly rape and UK law reflected this.

"If the fella concerned - usually a man - is in his 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, then I believe you should prosecute them ruthlessly, and the law allows for that," he said.

In a separate, earlier interview with the Sunday Times, Mr Grange was asked how he would define paedophilia.

His exemptions from the definition ranged from teenage boys to men in their 30s, which differed from his later interview with the BBC in which he said the upper limit was 20.

He said: "We are talking about very young people [when] it is paedophilia, and I wouldn't want to mix up kids who are just the wrong side of 16 with paedophiles.

"I don't actually personally adhere to the 15-year-old being with a 20-year-old boyfriend being paedophilia, or even if the boyfriend is 30."

Official government guidance on prosecuting suggests that teenagers who have sex when one of them is below 16 should not necessary be prosecuted.

Mr Grange, who stressed his views were personal, said: "You take a look at the circumstances and try to make the right decision for that case.

"It may be nothing, it may be formal warnings, it may be prosecution."

Michelle Elliott, the director of charity Kidscape, which campaigns to keep children safe from harm or abuse, told BBC Five Live that using puberty as a guide to sexual maturity was difficult.

"Girls, nine, 10 and 11 are now post-pubescent. They're wearing bras, they're having their periods. They are no longer children in his definition.

"So I think he's on very dicey ground here. I think he was probably trying to bring up the teenage issue, and maybe got himself in deeper than he meant."

Discuss.  :)

I think he makes a good point here. We all know that it goes on, that's why you see a load of 15 year old mothers everywhere

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:42:02 AM »
Child = anyone under 18.  Adult = anyone over 18. 

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:34:26 AM »

Yes! The very minute you turn 18 you are an Adult.  ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:41:02 AM »
i agree with this, my friend had his whole like fucked up because he fucked his girlfreind when he was 16 and she was like 14. her parents found out, he ended up getting charged with 'rape'  ::) and is now classified as a 'sex offender'  ::)

talk about a monster travesty of justice...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
i agree with this, my friend had his whole like fucked up because he fucked his girlfreind when he was 16 and she was like 14. her parents found out, he ended up getting charged with 'rape'  ::) and is now classified as a 'sex offender'  ::)

talk about a monster travesty of justice...

hahaha, comedic gold right there.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
Biologically speaking, when a girls body is ready to have kids shes ready to fuck. Anything beyond classifying pedophilia as banging prepubescents is purely societal.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 11:16:55 AM »
Child = pre-puberty. Adolescent = post puberty/pre-adult. Adult = anyone over age of consent. Mature = Not very many people ;D

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 11:18:51 AM »
Girls who have sex under the age of 16 are at greater risk for developing cervical cancer later on.

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 12:10:42 PM »
Its not a grey area at all. Led Zeppelin used to specify that their groupies should be "as young as possible", and Elvis was notorious for his love of the 'under sixteens'. Good enough for them, good enough for me :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 12:12:22 PM »
There you have it.... No grey area: Pedo=UK Gold  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 12:14:35 PM »
Girls who have sex under the age of 16 are at greater risk for developing cervical cancer later on.

It also increases their risk of being a slut.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 12:16:29 PM »
It also increases their risk of being a slut.

Regretably, I can't tell if you're being a prick or profound...

MiniMiggy

• Getbig II
  • The Earth is your only home. Treat it well.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »

Because they have sex with nasty unhygienic boys?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 12:38:29 PM »
people who have sex are going to hell :P

amc1980

• Getbig III
  • Thats a special hat, Spirit, give it baaaaack!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 12:42:13 PM »
people who have sex are going to hell :P

Looks like The Shadow will be alright then!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 12:54:32 PM »
Looks like The Shadow will be alright then!
goatboy is good to go ;D

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 01:00:07 PM »
Because they have sex with nasty unhygienic boys?

No one knows why, although that may be a contributing factor.  :-X The HPV apparently infects the less mature cervix more easily.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 01:28:54 PM »
Regretably, I can't tell if you're being a prick or profound...

one in the same, coochworth.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 01:39:51 PM »
one in the same, coochworth.
lol... a profound prick ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
Child = pre-puberty. Adolescent = post puberty/pre-adult. Adult = anyone over age of consent. Mature = Not very many people ;D

I agree about the mature part.   :)  But what we're really talking about is age of consent.  It's 16 in Hawaii.  Used to be 14.   :o  I know lots of teenagers and I don't think any of them (including my own) are competent enough to appreciate all of the ramifications of sex.  They only think about the next hour, not next week, month, years, etc. 

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »
Yes please... lol.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »
I know lots of teenagers and I don't think any of them (including my own) are competent enough to appreciate all of the ramifications of sex. 

The same can be said for many people over the age of consent...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 04:14:42 PM »
The same can be said for many people over the age of consent...

True.