Author Topic: Arnold in 1980(Sydney)  (Read 81635 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Arnold in 1980(Sydney)
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2009, 08:16:01 AM »
oliva had enormous arms but they didnt havr arnold separation no idont think oliva was better than the oak
i agree with you 100 percent!!!!

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2009, 10:17:55 AM »
in fact as we discuss this ad infinitum most of us were not present this day in australia. we judges by pictures . films and hearsay.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »
Dickerson was definitely @ his best in 1980!!!!! His triceps development and back detail were out of this world!!!!

true

but, is anyone else like me in that he would just lose something when viewing his total physique?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »
The only reason why Arnold only won 6 O titles is becasue he retired. Otherwise he would have won it another 6 times and the cry baby contestants like Mentzer would have looked even more stupid.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
The only reason why Arnold only won 6 O titles is becasue he retired. Otherwise he would have won it another 6 times and the cry baby contestants like Mentzer would have looked even more stupid.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
Dave Dupre...and giant of a man whom I can tell you would be afraid of NO MAN in his day...can tell you Arnold bigot stories galore..A was ripping on Joe as a jew...Dave said, "Hey, German, was it not Joe the Jew who brought you here...?

That would shut his curled, aryan mouth

Oh yeah, homo Pollux...where are you amidst all this??? Boo Hoo Hoo

Of course. Unfortunately most weren't there and refuse to compromise the one-dimensional fantasies about Schwarzenegger, who has always been equal parts charming and ahole from day one. He just hides it better now because it's necessary.

As far as speculation on how many more he'd have won, the numbers really don't count for that much because the show has more often than not been less than fair. Most of the top BBs were not even at the Olympia for most of the 70s, thus who "won" counts about as much as the results of the 1984 Olympics without the Russians there. Columbu and Zane don't win in the 70s if Oliva or Nubret in good shape show up, in fairly judged shows. Robinson and possibly Fox win at least once in the late 70s even accounting for all the stock excuses thrown out there that don't entirely hold up (Robinson's condition was an issue most of the time but check the video of '78 and see that he was in at least Zane's condition and a lot bigger and better, contrary to popular misconception).

That's the beauty of decades of history-most forget and/or weren't there and/or memories of some fade, revionist history sets in and is propogated by most. ;D

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2009, 06:05:24 AM »
Arnold was at 70% and still good enough to beat the competition. Notice Mentzer's tiny chest!

I totally agree with this, Arnold was clearly better than Mentzer that day, even Zane was better than Menzter.
I don't understand why people say Mike should have won.

I take this back entirely!! I said it based on 1 photo I looked at.
How naive was I back then, now after closely looking at more pictures of the 1980 Mr. Olympia, a video and taking knowledge of a lot of facts regarding Arnold and Weider, I have to say:

Mike Mentzer was the best conditioned of the show, in my opinion he should have won. I was stupid saying that Zane looked better. :P

I know a lot of you disagree Mike should have won, but he definitively deserved top 3 and was better than Arnold overall.

I remember I used to be a big Arnold "fan", but not anymore, I saw pictured of the 1972 Olympia, another fixed show in my opinion.

But I don't want to say Arnold sucks or anything like that, he was one of the best and deserved most of his victories.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
mentzer chest or  schwarzenegger thighs what is worse.. arnold won because of reputation and his upper body size. it was not his most memorable win .

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »
Dickerson was definitely @ his best in 1980!!!!! His triceps development and back detail were out of this world!!!!

Got any pics?

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »
A comparison between Arnold and Mike from the 1980 Olympia, 0:09-2:29 for Arnold and 3:04-4:28 for Mentzer:

Mike looked better in my opinion.

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
A nice backstage pic:

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2010, 12:44:16 AM »
A nice backstage pic:

Menzter had one of the coolest fucking builds of that era in my opinion.  He just looked strong and tough as fuck.  yeah Arnold had a kick ass physique but it never screamed brick shit house.  Arnold came off the drugs and shrank. 

If Arnold and mentzer ever went at it..........Mike would have knocked Arnold back into his sleeping in old men's bed days. 

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2010, 04:31:38 AM »
Agreed. As I've said...he's the ONLY person who gave Arnold a run for his money at the 1980 Olympia.
yip heres a rare one of Chris in Excellent shape @ the 1980 O 8) 8) 8)

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »
Menzter had one of the coolest fucking builds of that era in my opinion.  He just looked strong and tough as fuck.  yeah Arnold had a kick ass physique but it never screamed brick shit house.  Arnold came off the drugs and shrank. 

If Arnold and mentzer ever went at it..........Mike would have knocked Arnold back into his sleeping in old men's bed days. 

Yes, Mike's build was amazing. He's one of my favorite bodybuilders from that era.

He would have knocked all of Arnold's cockiness out of him.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2010, 04:33:09 AM »
What most Arnold nuthuggers fail to see is that Arnold that year had no density at all. Mentzer, because of his training, had unequalled density for that time period. At the time, this wasn't a criteria as important as it is now. But the difference is obvious. Arnold winning that show is almost as ridiculous as Columbu winning in '81.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
arnold was booed by 40 percent of the crowd . a strange contest ... his motivation for coming back seems to be strange too.. wanted to put others in their places .. his hair was never well combed in that show . in those days the arnold legend was already great.. and judging criterias were not the same as today.

mcluvin

• Getbig II
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
In the documentary "The Comeback" which is Arnolds return to competition for the 80' Olympia, there is a guy in a suit that is always with Arnold. He's pretty much sucking his dick the whole time and really seems out of place. Anyone know who this guy was?

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
In the documentary "The Comeback" which is Arnolds return to competition for the 80' Olympia, there is a guy in a suit that is always with Arnold. He's pretty much sucking his dick the whole time and really seems out of place. Anyone know who this guy was?
I believe his name was Bill Drake. He promoted himself as a nutritionist and I think Arnold had business dealings with him. Definitely comes off in the film as Arnold's lackey. There's a scene where Arnold's posing for him in his underwear and every time Arnold hits a pose, Drake say something like.. "Massive". Arnold hits another pose..he goes, "Brutal." Finally, he runs out of shit to say and he looks at Arnold and says, "What do I do now?" Pretty funny.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »
I believe his name was Bill Drake. He promoted himself as a nutritionist and I think Arnold had business dealings with him. Definitely comes off in the film as Arnold's lackey. There's a scene where Arnold's posing for him in his underwear and every time Arnold hits a pose, Drake say something like.. "Massive". Arnold hits another pose..he goes, "Brutal." Finally, he runs out of shit to say and he looks at Arnold and says, "What do I do now?" Pretty funny.

LMAO!   ;D

mcluvin

• Getbig II
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2010, 12:15:04 PM »

Thanks Chemist,

I use to have a copy of the film and I remember thinking who the hell is this guy?  He just seemed out of place and you could tell his purpose was to stroke Arnold's ego.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »
Thanks Chemist,

I use to have a copy of the film and I remember thinking who the hell is this guy?  He just seemed out of place and you could tell his purpose was to stroke Arnold's ego.

That wasn't the only thing he was stroking of Arnold's.  I mean come on people it's obvious Arnold was a closet homo or atleast bisexual. 

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Arnold Vs.Mike in a back double biceps...

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »
Side quarterturns....

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »
More...

Tarantula157

• Getbig III