Author Topic: Arnold in 1980(Sydney)  (Read 81430 times)

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
Re: Arnold in 1980(Sydney)
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
More from the rear...

Smanjh

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2010, 12:58:43 AM »
When I think of this contest, I think of a few thing:

1. Arnold beat Mentzer, had the more aesthetic and flowing physique as well as better arms and chest. He was comparable everywhere else, plus he had a vacuum (which Mentzer pointed out bodybuilding does not exist in a vacuum lol)

2. If Mentzer never retired, would he have ever had the title? I think he would have in 82 maybe, 83 maybe, then Haney would have beaten him cleanly. However Mentzer vs Franco would have been awesome, did they ever face off?

3. If Mentzer took the loss and did not bitch about it until the day he died, would anyone still be talking about it?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »
More from the rear...
These pics clearly show how dominant Arnold was and how he put the competition to bed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2010, 04:53:10 AM »
Arnold had an injured shoulder and couldnt train hard for Mr O 1980, hence his poor condition/ining ???

Still doesnt explain how Mentzer and/or Platz got shafted and overlooked. They both should have placed ahead of Arnie, and its debatable who should've won.

He only won due to his name. Cant place the great A.S. 3rd or lower.
And he still destroyed all the competition which is why Arnold was / is the best. Had he not gone to Holywood he would have won the "O" another 10 times.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
Arnold looks poor for the Arnold we see in his 'best' shots 5 years earlier.This is the first ive really noticed how hes much smaller through the arms, chest and legs than b4.Quite shocked really.
Saying that, from the comparison shots id still have him winning the show as theres not much better there

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
Arnold looks poor for the Arnold we see in his 'best' shots 5 years earlier.This is the first ive really noticed how hes much smaller through the arms, chest and legs than b4.Quite shocked really.
Saying that, from the comparison shots id still have him winning the show as theres not much better there

I agree.  Arnold '70-'75 was superior to the 1980 version, in every way.  It's amazing though; when you look at the side comparisons in particular, he seems to have the edge.  I still think Mentzer's improvement over his '79 condition should have pushed him higher in the judges' eyes.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »
Funny thing is NO ONE posting in this thread was actually there.  One of the things I've realized about bodybuilders and bodybuilding is how strikingly different they look in person.  Sometimes that's good or sometimes that's bad.  I've heard from old timers that were ACTUALLY in the crowd at the competition that the pictures don't do the competitors justice at all.  Arnold looked a lot worse than his pictures and vice versa for Menzter.  Menzter had one of the most kick ass physiques in all of bodybuilding.  He was built like a brick shit house reinforced with steel and concrete................ .Arnold was built..............well like an Oak Tree.  Which one oozes strength, power, solidarity??????????? An Oak tree or a Menzter?  LOL.....Oak Trees look great, old, big and strong, but when the wind blows the wrong way they snap in half.  A brick shit house is built to last.  Arnold's physique was all drugs.  Mentzers was a lot of hardwork, sweat, and discipline.  Menzter used steroids for sure......but show me an "offseason" pic of Mentzer during that time?  Not too many of them.  Now show me an offseason pic of Arnold......they are all over the internet. 

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
Funny thing is NO ONE posting in this thread was actually there.  One of the things I've realized about bodybuilders and bodybuilding is how strikingly different they look in person.  Sometimes that's good or sometimes that's bad.  I've heard from old timers that were ACTUALLY in the crowd at the competition that the pictures don't do the competitors justice at all.  Arnold looked a lot worse than his pictures and vice versa for Menzter.  Menzter had one of the most kick ass physiques in all of bodybuilding.  He was built like a brick shit house reinforced with steel and concrete................ .Arnold was built..............well like an Oak Tree.  Which one oozes strength, power, solidarity??????????? An Oak tree or a Menzter?  LOL.....Oak Trees look great, old, big and strong, but when the wind blows the wrong way they snap in half.  A brick shit house is built to last.  Arnold's physique was all drugs.  Mentzers was a lot of hardwork, sweat, and discipline.  Menzter used steroids for sure......but show me an "offseason" pic of Mentzer during that time?  Not too many of them.  Now show me an offseason pic of Arnold......they are all over the internet. 

Mentzer was built like a "brick shit house" indeed- but Arnold all drugs?...come on.  The reason you don't see too many pictures of Mentzer off season was because his gut was too huge.  Arnold on the other hand had a different bone stucture and tended to be slender and athletic in the off season.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Mentzer was built like a "brick shit house" indeed- but Arnold all drugs?...come on.  The reason you don't see too many pictures of Mentzer off season was because his gut was too huge.  Arnold on the other hand had a different bone stucture and tended to be slender and athletic in the off season.

Ok so post up these supposed offseason pics of Menzter with a huge gut?  I'm not talking in the last few years before he died when he was a middle aged man I mean when he was competing and heavily training.  Let's see em...........where are they?  Compare them to Arnold's off season pics.  "Athletic" is a term skinny people use to make themselves feel better about being skinny.  I"ve seen a few pictures of Arnold when he came off the drugs and he didn't even look like he traine.  He had the legs of a 15 year old girl. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Menzter was a fucking solid, consistent competitor.  When you look at his picture..........his physique oozes with power and force and domination.  If it wasn't for Arnold's height he wouldn't have been that impressive of a bodybuilder.  He was only ever 235 lbs in competition.  Not very "big" at all.  In fact most of the Arnold nuthuggers never even saw the guy in person.  Only pictures.  Even Casey Viator was bigger than Arnold was at 18 years old.  But because Arnold was always taller Viator always looks smaller. 

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2010, 05:26:34 PM »
Menzter was a fucking solid, consistent competitor.  When you look at his picture..........his physique oozes with power and force and domination.  If it wasn't for Arnold's height he wouldn't have been that impressive of a bodybuilder.  He was only ever 235 lbs in competition.  Not very "big" at all.  In fact most of the Arnold nuthuggers never even saw the guy in person.  Only pictures.  Even Casey Viator was bigger than Arnold was at 18 years old.  But because Arnold was always taller Viator always looks smaller.  

Nuthuggers- that's funny.  Never said Mentzer didn't ooze with power and force.  See I'm one of those guys that can admire both physiques.  The simple fact is that Arnold 70-75 was AWESOME.  Size alone doesn't mean everything.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
Nuthuggers- that's funny.  Never said Mentzer didn't ooze with power and force.  See I'm one of those guys that can like and admire both physiques.  The simple fact is that Arnold 70-75 was AWESOME.  Size alone doesn't mean everything.

i'm still waiting on those pictures of menzter in the offseason with a huge gut.   ;)

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
i'm still waiting on those pictures of menzter in the offseason with a huge gut.   ;)

OK you got me, I have none.  His huge gut was on stage in '79 ;)

70sBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
If it wasn't for Arnold's height he wouldn't have been that impressive of a bodybuilder.  

??? I think you might have dropped a plate on your head. ;D

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »

No matter what people say, this physique was one of the best ever. His showing the '80 O was not his best though. Still you can see the difference in density between him and most competitors (specially Arnold). But back then judges didn't give a fuck about this. Only when guys like Gaspari and specially Yates later on hit the scene, that this got into the equation.

Bazooka

• Getbig I
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
Dickerson should have been a two time Olympia winner 1980 and 1982.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2010, 11:41:48 AM »
Dickerson and Arnold were the two best on stage that day. Period!

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »
i still beleive arnold was lucky to win in 1980 . so was franco the year after . small sport with two europeans giants who knew how to handle the americans.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
bump

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »
i am not a chris dickerson fan,but he did have the best physique that day.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2011, 07:54:24 AM »
I always felt Mentzer had a beautiful physique....so did Robby Robinson....Arnold was a giant.....but lets face it....The bodybuilding establishment was not going to let Arnold go out a loser....he had too many backers and his personality was so forceful no one would DARE vote against him...who could vote against Arnold and then face him afterwards???

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2011, 06:33:44 AM »
I always felt Mentzer had a beautiful physique....so did Robby Robinson....Arnold was a giant.....but lets face it....The bodybuilding establishment was not going to let Arnold go out a loser....he had too many backers and his personality was so forceful no one would DARE vote against him...who could vote against Arnold and then face him afterwards???

Bill Pearl told Arnold after the show "If I were judging, I had you in 5th place".

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2011, 06:36:18 AM »
Bill Pearl told Arnold after the show "If I were judging, I had you in 5th place".

wow..interesting

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2011, 01:40:37 AM »
 ;D ;D

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
i am not a chris dickerson fan,but he did have the best physique that day.
Great back detail and awesome calf development!