Author Topic: Tards Balancing on Exercise Balls  (Read 7497 times)

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
Re: Tards Balancing on Exercise Balls
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
I personally don't see were it can, it's a recipe for disaster and if it's a professional athlete that is doing it and he gets injured, you can kiss that trainers career goodbye!

Exactly the point I was getting across. I cant see how anyone would defend a squat let alone a LOADED squat on a stability ball.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2006, 07:01:09 PM »
Have you ever tried it? It isn't easy and should be apart of an athletes regular core training, balance is a HUGE part of athletic training and what that dude is doing is a regular part of sports teams strength programs, if this guy wasn't hanging on to the rack an was just balancing of that stability ball that's an awesome feat, I know many hockey players who do the same thing.

BTW, the dude doing squats on the ball is just plain retarded!
[/quot

I totally agree with this post.  Squatting on a swiss ball is insane.  The ratio of effectiveness vs injury is paramount.

The BOSU  half a ball, other side flat is wonderful for balance and core strength,  if you have never stepped on a bosu, try it for one minute with both feet to see how balanced your body is.  Turn it over and do squats with no weight, it is quite intense.
Sandra

I don't advocate squatting on Bosu either, IMO, it causes too much pronating on the foot and ankles, stress on the ACL which causes the hip to become out of alignment and that causes undue stress on the lower lumbar, I do however think (after a certain time of basic strength training) it's ok to use a balance board, it's still an unstable surface, but you are limited to side to side, using little if no weight of course!

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »
Im not sure which post is muscle4life and which is Intense on the above post but Bosu balls are awfull:

1) Why would you put an unstable surface on a stable surface?( half a stability ball)
2) Standing on a Bosu ball forces the legs to be bow-legged, stress on knees and ankles>>> WHy would you want the body to perform an action it wasnt intended to do?
3) It actually causes SUPINATION not pronation of the ankle.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2006, 07:28:09 PM »
Im not sure which post is muscle4life and which is Intense on the above post but Bosu balls are awfull:

1) Why would you put an unstable surface on a stable surface?( half a stability ball)
2) Standing on a Bosu ball forces the legs to be bow-legged, stress on knees and ankles>>> WHy would you want the body to perform an action it wasnt intended to do?

Again, it is all about balance for the individual.  On the Bosu, some are pronators, others supinate on the foot.  Balance one foot on the floor to begin.  Progress to an unstable surface to make the leg work to align itself correctly.  The ankle is connected to the knee, connected to the hip, connected to the back, etc

Sandra

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2006, 07:38:17 PM »
Again, it is all about balance for the individual.  On the Bosu, some are pronators, others supinate on the foot.  Balance one foot on the floor to begin.  Progress to an unstable surface to make the leg work to align itself correctly.  The ankle is connected to the knee, connected to the hip, connected to the back, etc

Sandra

How can someone's ankle Pronate if they are standing bow-legged?

Why do you want to " make the leg work to align itself correctly" ? What exactly is being aligned?

The ankle is CONNECTED to the tibia, Not the knee.

THe Knee is connected to the Femur NOT the hip.

The hip is connected to the Pelvis, NOT the back.

Seriously, I hope you are NOT a trainer because honestly nothing you have said is correct or makes any sense!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »

Damn, I can't believe I did that...I stand corrected!

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2006, 05:33:24 AM »
Damn, I can't believe I did that...I stand corrected!
Its easy to get things like that confused sometimes. I do the same. You obviously know your field though. ;)

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2006, 04:07:02 PM »
How can someone's ankle Pronate if they are standing bow-legged?

Why do you want to " make the leg work to align itself correctly" ? What exactly is being aligned?

The ankle is CONNECTED to the tibia, Not the knee.

THe Knee is connected to the Femur NOT the hip.

The hip is connected to the Pelvis, NOT the back.

Seriously, I hope you are NOT a trainer because honestly nothing you have said is correct or makes any sense!

I was speaking in simple terms, when clients learn about how the bones are connected to each other and why a specific exercise is being done,  KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid.

Alignment.  I am naturally knock kneed, When I squat, my kness automatically tend to turn inwards.  I have to align my feet, ankles, knees to make sure they don't, this is just to get to a 90 degree angle and to not flex forward in the hips.

The ankle, knee, hip are socket joints(axis) that flex and extend the tibia, femur and back. 

Sandra

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2006, 06:54:55 PM »

I agree doing lifting on unstable surface is insane, there are many other ways of trainning balance that doesn't put anyone at risk of injury!  I often hear core strenght LOL, try deadlifting that is awesome for core trainning.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2006, 08:01:43 PM »
I was speaking in simple terms, when clients learn about how the bones are connected to each other and why a specific exercise is being done,  KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid.

Alignment.  I am naturally knock kneed, When I squat, my kness automatically tend to turn inwards.  I have to align my feet, ankles, knees to make sure they don't, this is just to get to a 90 degree angle and to not flex forward in the hips.

The ankle, knee, hip are socket joints(axis) that flex and extend the tibia, femur and back. 

Sandra

If your knees "pinch" when you squat, do you know what this is a result of?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2006, 12:59:27 PM »
If your knees "pinch" when you squat, do you know what this is a result of?

Muscleforlife, if a trainer knows how to train a client, that person should know the answer to this question and how to remedy it, if a trainer continues to improperly lets his/her clients do this, the client will eventually end up with injuries!

This, BTW, is a great question for people just starting out in the industry!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2006, 01:12:57 PM »
I agree doing lifting on unstable surface is insane, there are many other ways of trainning balance that doesn't put anyone at risk of injury!  I often hear core strenght LOL, try deadlifting that is awesome for core trainning.

IMO, the only time a person should train on an unstable surface is after that person has mastered the basics, then slowly introduce functional stablizer exercises. By an unstable surface, I mean balance boards, airex pads and pillows, I do however have some of my advanced athletes and clients do bulgarian split squats on the balance board!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »
I don't know, you can't really argue with that guy's quad development.  ::)

Those guys probably got laughed out of the gym. Shit what if his feet slipped off? The fucker would be on the floor screaming and crying.
The House that Ruth built

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »
Don't get it twisted.  I don't advocate weighted squats on a stability ball.

I do advocate training outside of the "bodybuilder" box because your average person doens't want to be a bb, they usually want to lose weight, be healty, function easily in their daily lives, not get on meds to live life.

Me personally, knock knees could be a numuber of reasons.  Genetics, I am not the only woman in my family with this condition.  Weak quads?  After squatting, pressing, extending, lunging, curling, DLing, etc, etc, etc..yea, ok

Weak Ad/abductors?  Inner/outer thigh machines, plie' squats, round house kicks, curtesys on or off the BOSU..

My knees still knock.  That is who I am and what I work with.
There is no cookie cutter workout program for people. 
Some people need to align, balance and have flexibility in their day to day lives to function.
I train those people and I am "certified".   

Others train people to "Get Big".

Big Muscles Do Not Equate Health or Fitness.

Sandra

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2006, 11:14:01 PM »
Don't get it twisted.  I don't advocate weighted squats on a stability ball.

I do advocate training outside of the "bodybuilder" box because your average person doens't want to be a bb, they usually want to lose weight, be healty, function easily in their daily lives, not get on meds to live life.

Me personally, knock knees could be a numuber of reasons.  Genetics, I am not the only woman in my family with this condition.  Weak quads?  After squatting, pressing, extending, lunging, curling, DLing, etc, etc, etc..yea, ok

Weak Ad/abductors?  Inner/outer thigh machines, plie' squats, round house kicks, curtesys on or off the BOSU..

My knees still knock.  That is who I am and what I work with.
There is no cookie cutter workout program for people. 
Some people need to align, balance and have flexibility in their day to day lives to function.
I train those people and I am "certified".   

Others train people to "Get Big".

Big Muscles Do Not Equate Health or Fitness.

Sandra

I understand that you do not advocate squatting on a stability ball, no decent trainer would but knowing the reasons why people do what they do ex; squatting "knocked kneed" part of being a good trainer and the difference between being a great trainer is again, knowing what could be causing the wrong mechanics in a certain exercise. Suqatting knocked kneed is not a matter of genetics or is it a condition. One of the main reasons why people squat this way is more often than not WEAK GLUTES and also tight adductors and some studies have suggested a weak psoas which also may be the cause of some low back pain!!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2006, 01:20:36 AM »
 damn...I honestly ALWAYS thought that pic was just a funny photoshop... ???]

you mean it's real?

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2006, 01:26:15 AM »
It's an exercise to help athletic performance. Ever hear of balance. It would have no use to you meatheads with the zits on your shoulders but it would help an ATHLETE who plays an ATHLETIC sport.

Sounds like we have a 125lb fitness guy on our hands..........
HAHA, RON.....

whitewidow

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2006, 01:32:13 AM »
Ive never seen anybody doing any shit like that in my gym. and that picture of that guy doing that squat on the excercise ball thats insane! is that picture for real? what the hell kind of personal trainer teaches those excercises? id ask for a refund! thats dangerous!  the trainer in the backround of that pic looks like justin timberlake-lol.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2006, 01:32:18 AM »
damn...I honestly ALWAYS thought that pic was just a funny photoshop... ???]

you mean it's real?

Yep. Real.  :-\
HAHA, RON.....

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2006, 10:41:33 AM »
I understand that you do not advocate squatting on a stability ball, no decent trainer would but knowing the reasons why people do what they do ex; squatting "knocked kneed" part of being a good trainer and the difference between being a great trainer is again, knowing what could be causing the wrong mechanics in a certain exercise. Suqatting knocked kneed is not a matter of genetics or is it a condition. One of the main reasons why people squat this way is more often than not WEAK GLUTES and also tight adductors and some studies have suggested a weak psoas which also may be the cause of some low back pain!!
weak glutes...
Now that is not something I would've thought of.
For me personally, I don't squat heavy anymore.  I only squat when I teach it in a formatted group power class.
I do sissy squats instead of a traditional barbell squat.

In my family, as children we have knock knees or pigeon toes. 
One cousin when she was a toddler had to wear those horrid orthopedic shes with the steel brace between them.
That is why I bought up genetics.
Sandra
Sandra

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2006, 10:51:55 AM »
weak glutes...
Now that is not something I would've thought of.
For me personally, I don't squat heavy anymore.  I only squat when I teach it in a formatted group power class.
I do sissy squats instead of a traditional barbell squat.

In my family, as children we have knock knees or pigeon toes. 
One cousin when she was a toddler had to wear those horrid orthopedic shes with the steel brace between them.
That is why I bought up genetics.
Sandra
Sandra

Depending on how you are doing sissy squats it would stand to reason on why their knees are not buckling....because from the ground they are puching with they're glutes, then when they get to lets say the paralell point of the exercise, then the knees would start to buckle from that point thats usually when the glutes start fireing incorrectly!