Author Topic: knee wraps  (Read 1483 times)

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
knee wraps
« on: November 24, 2006, 11:17:52 PM »
when would it be advised to use them? my knees have been kinda bothering me lately. its not really pain where ouch it hurts but its kind of an annoying feeling on my knees. Im pretty sure im only getting this feeling because ive been squatting heavy but i dont think its my form because i spent a lot of time working on my form and am pretty proud of it now. would knee wraps help with this? if not then what exactly are they for? any brands that are good or are they basically all the same so i should just get the cheapest pair? also would they make me any stronger? im not interested in getting wraps just for added strength, i was just curios if it would give me any. even if they wont help with my knee problem should i get a pair anyway? it wont hurt to wear them will it?  sorry i have so many question. thanks in advance to all serious responses.

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: knee wraps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:42:59 PM »
what about those knee bands? they look like sleeves. if they work good they would be perfect because i could just slip them on and off easily. i wouldnt have to wrap them around my knees like a boxer does their hands i would just slip it on kinda like a wrist band.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:15:52 PM »
If your going to use them I would stick with the wraps IMO...their by far more stable and you can wrap them nice and tight.  As far as use is concerned, I only use them on sets over 500 lbs cause I dont want my knees to get used to relying on them.  I wont use them even everyonce in a while just to make sure. 

Will the help your knee pain?  What I would do us use them for 2-3 mabye even four weeks....then when you go back to squatting without them and you will be able to tell.  If your knees hurt more, they didnt help and made them weaker.  If they feel better, they helped.  Otherwise just use them on your heavy heavy sets.   

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 05:22:39 PM »
do you ice your knees???  twice a day, each session 20 min.

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »
do you ice your knees???  twice a day, each session 20 min.

i dont ice them no.  i guess i could but i was really hoping i could just use wraps and they would never bother me again lol. the only reason i wouldnt wanna ice them is because 20 minutes two times a day just seems like a lot of maintenance as opposed to putting on some wraps 5 minutes during a leg day warmup. you know what i mean? if it comes down to it i guess i will have to ice them, not like its that big of a deal im just looking for other alternatives.

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 05:42:07 PM »
If your going to use them I would stick with the wraps IMO...their by far more stable and you can wrap them nice and tight.  As far as use is concerned, I only use them on sets over 500 lbs cause I dont want my knees to get used to relying on them.  I wont use them even everyonce in a while just to make sure. 

Will the help your knee pain?  What I would do us use them for 2-3 mabye even four weeks....then when you go back to squatting without them and you will be able to tell.  If your knees hurt more, they didnt help and made them weaker.  If they feel better, they helped.  Otherwise just use them on your heavy heavy sets.   
thanks for the advice. ummmm to be honest i am nowhere near a 500 lb. squat so should i wait till i get to a much higher weight before using them?

My dad made a good point the other day. i said i was thinking about getting some but thought maybe i will just fight through it but he said i need to think about the long run and if i get a knee injury and cant train my legs for a long time i will regret it big time.

one more question. how can wraps weaken a knee when a knee is not a muscle and i will only wear them when squatting.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »
.... 20 minutes two times a day just seems like a lot of maintenance ....

not really, ice while sitting on the crapper, at the computer, at dinnertable, reading a book, watching a movie, etc., not a big deal and saves your knees in the long run.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 10:11:11 PM »
I am the biggest knee wrap advocate here. I use them for maximal effort only though. Using them for low weight isnt necessary. I use them at 455lbs and up only. My knees were REALLY terrible a while back and these helped me strengthen up. Also do plenty of leg extensions. Ice for 20 mins after every leg session or after high impact cardio. This will do wonders for you. You only get one set of knees, treat them well.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 04:09:28 PM »
thanks for the advice. ummmm to be honest i am nowhere near a 500 lb. squat so should i wait till i get to a much higher weight before using them?

My dad made a good point the other day. i said i was thinking about getting some but thought maybe i will just fight through it but he said i need to think about the long run and if i get a knee injury and cant train my legs for a long time i will regret it big time.

one more question. how can wraps weaken a knee when a knee is not a muscle and i will only wear them when squatting.

Weight doesn't matter.  I would use them on your heaviest weight.....say a 3-6 rep max.   

Tendons grow stronger as your muscles grow to accomodate the strength gains.  When you use wraps, it takes some of the strain off your tendons thus not triggering as much growth as if you were to not use wraps.  Thus in the same sense when people juice, their muscles outgrow their tendons and they tear them if their not careful.  Thats why its also important to take some supplements (glucosamine) to help keep your tendons and joints healthy and strong.

Warm up is also EXTREMELY important, I hit a bike for about 5 minutes before legs to get my joints nice and lubricated. 

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 02:29:24 PM »
bump for preferred knee wrap brands/websites to purchase from
its comin today

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 06:13:24 PM »
I bought mine from bodybuilding.com about a year ago. They are just mid grade Harbinger knee wraps. Work fine for me!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 12:24:03 AM »
If you have knee problems, like sore knees, I would recommend using knee covers, like Rehband.

Only use knee wraps if you're planning on competing in powerlifting IMO.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »
Think about it, without wraps if your knees are giving you problems now, they will only get worse.

So......hmmmm. i'd suggest using knee wraps.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo