Author Topic: triceps fail before chest on bench..  (Read 1912 times)

bassmaster

• Getbig II
triceps fail before chest on bench..
« on: November 29, 2006, 05:15:47 AM »
whats up folks .. im new guy on the list so yell the do's and don't.

im having a problem on chest day, my triceps give up and sometimes seem to push all the weight on every excersie i do.  so my barbell bench press see little incress in poundege..
  currently im prefatiging my chest on cable flys and dumbbells flys..
  if theirs any other tips i would give much thanks to all that are out their..
  oh and my grip is outside the barbell markers .

current training   4 excersises per part, 4 sets, 8-12 reps. drop set on last

mon. chest & abs
tue.  delts & traps & calfs
wed  off
thurs.  back & tri
fri.      biceps & forearms
sat.   legs & calfs
sun. off

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: triceps fail before chest on bench..
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:59:17 AM »
Ok, try and literally flex the chest muscles when you contract on the press. Anyone can go up and down using their arms and shoulders. If you flex the chest and feel the muscles contract, that might mean you're working more of the chest rather than triceps/shoulders. Sorry if it was hard to understand.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:12:13 AM »
If you're properly pre-exhausting the chest, there's no way the tris fail first afterwards. You're possibly not using enough intensity on the pre-exhaust part. With high intensity, chest will already be fried before getting to the other exercise.

Also look at the form used on the compound exercise, see if there are alternate grips that might take the emphasis off the tris. If not, consider different exercises.

Lastly, try 2 different forms of pre-exhaust:

1/ Superset: 1 Isolation exercise followed immediately by 1 compound exercise.

2/ An isolation exercise done for multiple sets, with rests in between sets. Following completion of this, do the same with the compound exercise, also done in standard set form with rest in between each set.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 06:35:12 AM »
Ok, try and literally flex the chest muscles when you contract on the press. Anyone can go up and down using their arms and shoulders. If you flex the chest and feel the muscles contract, that might mean you're working more of the chest rather than triceps/shoulders. Sorry if it was hard to understand.

Great post.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:41:56 AM »
whats up folks .. im new guy on the list so yell the do's and don't.

im having a problem on chest day, my triceps give up and sometimes seem to push all the weight on every excersie i do.  so my barbell bench press see little incress in poundege..
  currently im prefatiging my chest on cable flys and dumbbells flys..
  if theirs any other tips i would give much thanks to all that are out their..
  oh and my grip is outside the barbell markers .

current training   4 excersises per part, 4 sets, 8-12 reps. drop set on last

mon. chest & abs
tue.  delts & traps & calfs
wed  off
thurs.  back & tri
fri.      biceps & forearms
sat.   legs & calfs
sun. off

Try a very wide grip on a smith machine press.  This will limit your tri involvement and I perfer a 20% incline than a flat bench as this also focuses more on the pec and less on the shoulders. 

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 11:35:58 AM »
If you're properly pre-exhausting the chest, there's no way the tris fail first afterwards. You're possibly not using enough intensity on the pre-exhaust part. With high intensity, chest will already be fried before getting to the other exercise.

Also look at the form used on the compound exercise, see if there are alternate grips that might take the emphasis off the tris. If not, consider different exercises.

Lastly, try 2 different forms of pre-exhaust:

1/ Superset: 1 Isolation exercise followed immediately by 1 compound exercise.

2/ An isolation exercise done for multiple sets, with rests in between sets. Following completion of this, do the same with the compound exercise, also done in standard set form with rest in between each set.

Hate to say it but this post is by far the best info in this thread and I totally agree.

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »
Squeeze your shoulder blades together before unracking the bar - then throughout the entire motion, focus on keeping your shoulder blades pulled back.  This will take your shoulders out of the equation and put the brunt of the weight on your pecs.  You'll probably have to drop the weight considerably at first...  It'll be worth it though!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 11:40:40 AM »
Squeeze your shoulder blades together before unracking the bar - then throughout the entire motion, focus on keeping your shoulder blades pulled back.  This will take your shoulders out of the equation and put the brunt of the weight on your pecs.  You'll probably have to drop the weight considerably at first...  It'll be worth it though!

This is exactly what I do. Right before I liftoff I pull my shoulder blades together.

bassmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 02:25:17 PM »
much thanks