Author Topic: More baseball roid rage  (Read 3442 times)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: More baseball roid rage
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 06:17:39 AM »
What do you guys think of this? I admit I don't know what Pujols said about the MVP voting but the word is he complained about not winning. Contrast this with Jeter who didn't say boo even though some moron sportswriter with an agenda in Chicago had Jeter 8th. He effectively torpedoed Jeter's MVP bid. Does anyone here think big Papi hurt his chances by talking up that he should get the nod over Jeter because he is a power hitter and Jeter is only a table setter?
The House that Ruth built

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 06:18:43 AM »
Most people outside of St Louis and Detroit did not give a shit that the cardinals won the World series.

yeah why was this world series so quiet?

I don't think anybody here even started a "cards win" thread

E
E

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 07:58:17 AM »
Code: [Select]
NO! You said the Pujols team won the World Series so that should be taken into account in the MVP voting.
Ummm, no. What I said was Howard wasn't more valuable to his team than Pujols in the grand scheme of things. The way I see it is he led the league in homers and he's on an East Coast team so he got more votes. Also, when the voting took place there were a lot of people who thought the Cardinals weren't going to do anything so I'm sure that didn't help Albert's cause. So, in actuality, you are rewarding a guy on a losing team. Much like Arizona's pitcher winning the Cy Young award. In a perfect world they would vote after the playoffs to factor in who actually contributed the most for his team's cause.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 11:24:54 AM »
Code: [Select]
NO! You said the Pujols team won the World Series so that should be taken into account in the MVP voting.
Ummm, no. What I said was Howard wasn't more valuable to his team than Pujols in the grand scheme of things. The way I see it is he led the league in homers and he's on an East Coast team so he got more votes. Also, when the voting took place there were a lot of people who thought the Cardinals weren't going to do anything so I'm sure that didn't help Albert's cause. So, in actuality, you are rewarding a guy on a losing team. Much like Arizona's pitcher winning the Cy Young award. In a perfect world they would vote after the playoffs to factor in who actually contributed the most for his team's cause.

How are the Phillies a losing team?

They won 2 more games then the Cardinals did, but didn't make the playoffs because thay were in the Met's division. If the Phillies were in the Central Division, then the Cardinals would have been playing golf the first week of October.

And even still, they were in contention for the wild card right up through the last weekend of the season. While the Cardinals were trying not to become one of the biggest chokers in history, and piss away the division to the Astros. I could maybe see your point if Philadelphia was out of the race by Sept. , but they were in it till the end.

Plus, like already pointed out in this thread, Albert missed time, and the Phillies had given up on the year, and still made a run.

I think the voters got it right!

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 01:11:33 PM »
The Cardinals had a fair lead in their division at the end but couldn't be deemed chokers regardless considering the team was unhealthy. Thus, you weren't seeing the real team at the end of the season until about playoff time. That being said, it matters not who won the most games within a division as evidenced by the fact that several of the recent World Series winners were wild card teams. What matters is how a team finishes regardless if they win their division by half a game or by 20 games. Technically speaking anyone who is not the champion is a "loser". However, some will say that anyone who has a successful run and makes it into post season is successful. Because the Phillies didn't even make the playoffs and had no chance to win the whole thing they are deemed a losing team as a matter of expression.

controldenied33

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »
Voters got it right....Cry me a river Albert.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 07:26:31 AM »
Shut up, Albert.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2680495

Albert has beef.....

He's more clutch than Howard and that bears out in the numbers....

The only reason Howard won is because his HR/RBI totals were off the map...

If Pujols was healthy, his stats would be similiar PLUS he actually hits with runners on base...

Howard does not.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...