Author Topic: First 2 Mr O's  (Read 4474 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
First 2 Mr O's
« on: December 03, 2006, 01:04:17 AM »
Who were the contestants in the first 2 Mr O's? Besides Scott? Those days line-ups were small, I believe.

Slick Vic

Re: First 2 Mr O's
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 05:25:56 AM »
If my memory serves me right, I can't tell you the line-up, but that Harold Poole was second in '65 and Sergio Oliva was second in '66.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:01:16 PM »

Larry Scott

Harold Poole

Earl Maynard

Larry Scott

Harold Poole

Chuck Sipes

Sergio Olivia
X

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:31:38 AM »
Thanks guys, so this was '65 line-up:

Poole

Maynard

Scott

And in '66, add:

Sipes

and Oliva

Now, I've got an idea of standard. Were these the only competitors, or the top guys?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:36:51 AM »
I know Sergio took 67, but what if the non-white competitor in 65 was superior to Scott, would he have won?
It seems the 1st 2 shows were geared around promoting Joe's golden boy.
Also apparently he was present when the name for the show was thought up, inspiration from an Olympia beer label in a bar...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:39:43 AM »
I know Sergio took 67, but what if the non-white competitor in 65 was superior to Scott, would he have won?
Also apparently he was present when the name for the show was thought up, inspiration from an Olympia beer label in a bar...

Various fools on getbig continue to claim that there is no politics or racism in BB, which is farcical.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:10:52 PM »

Now, I've got an idea of standard. Were these the only competitors, or the top guys?

Figo, I am pretty sure one had to have won the IFBB version of the Mr. Universe in order to compete in the Olympia back then. It was supposed to crown a "champion" of all the champions.

Alex Velickovic

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »
Cool thread Figo.
 8)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 09:33:46 AM »
Larry Scott was phenominal back then! In my mind he set new standards for the game.

You had to see him in person to fully uinderstand how great he was.

He trained at Vince Gironda's gym but on leg days he went elsewhere because Vince was convinced that squatting gave you bigger hips. (Told to me by former Vinc e members.)

Larry Scott - another exceptional gentleman in the bodybuilding world.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 06:34:45 PM »
Wasn't there a contender by the name of Rock Stonewall competing at the beginning too?

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 09:17:30 AM »

what if your aunt had balls? she'd be your uncle.

poole, etc weren't superior to scott.

anyone actually got some handy shots of scott and competitors at the 65 olympia and we will instantly put this to rest.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 11:59:08 AM »
Pumpster, I tend to agree with ya in a way about racism in the sport but only during the days of Oliva and Nubret and Robinson.

I mentioned this subject to Lee Haney one time many years ago and he stated that he had discussed this with the powers that be in the Weider camp and it was a fact that a black man on the cover of the magazines did nothing to help boost the sales of that month's issue.

I can't recall exactly how he stated it but he was satisfied with this "sales explanation" and if I recall our discussion correctly, that conversation was between himself and Joe Weider.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 12:35:53 PM »
what if your aunt had balls? she'd be your uncle.

poole, etc weren't superior to scott.

anyone actually got some handy shots of scott and competitors at the 65 olympia and we will instantly put this to rest.

My "special uncle" has nothing to do with this discussion, BEAST!

If you read my quote, I'm not saying Scott was inferior, I'm asking what if my aunt didn't have balls.