Author Topic: Jack Lalane Joke  (Read 6153 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Jack Lalane Joke
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »
This morning I heard the following quote attributed to Jack Lalane:

Lalane was being interviewed and the interviewer said, "Mr. Lalane you are still in vigorous shape.  Do you still have sex?"

Lalane responded "Nearly every day."

The interviewer, obviously surprised, said "Really?"

Lalane said, "Sure, I nearly had it on Monday, I nearly had it on Tuesday" etc.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
  • The iron bug may rust... but will never die!
Re: Jack Lalane Joke
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 01:14:47 PM »
Yea, that's cool (Jack).

At his age--despite his condition--he's lucky to get in and out of bed
unassisted, let alone...get it uP!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
Do you guys realize that he used to make a yearly habit of swimming across the San Francisco Bay pulling a boat full of people?

In fact I think he pulled that same boat across the bay under the Golden Gate Bridge.

And many a similar swim to Alcatraz!

Anyone recall the address of his first gym on Market St in San Francisco?

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 12:20:01 PM »
Was it in San Francisco, Stunt? I thought it was Oakland?

Yes, Jack was a rarity in the Bay Area with his strength/endurance stunts,
wasn't he? Most potheads back then would be saying: "Yea, dude, that 'ol
guy is waaaay cool, man; that bathing cap is pretty rad, too."

The other oldster back in those days getting attention was one Larry Lewis,
the 104-year-old jogger (early 70s). I was readying my article for Strength
& Health (+Ironman) on him when he suddently died. I didn't get my story and
of course didn't get it published.

Jack is now 92, I believe. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:32:41 PM »
My friend Pax Beale swam to Alcatraz I think on his 75th birthday and in the winter when the water is the coldest.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 11:04:59 PM »
Jay, his gym was on Market Street around the 200 block of Market and it was on the fifth floor of a pretty old building. It included one of those old elevators with the sliding iron gate. If he ever had one in Oakland it probably was after he set up his chain of gyms. I don't recall how Wyn Paris got involved but I have been told by Wyn and a couple of others that he was the man who was responsible for setting that chain up.

My best friend's wife was the one and only model that they used for that chain. They would always place her body in the advertisements but would change her face once or twice a month to give the impression that they had many models.

Only can tell us a few great Wyn stories.

I don't know if you realize this or not but back then every gym operator was a true character. Someday I'd like to write a book about each of those guys but it would be a small book cause they were a unique breed and few and far between.

Jack was one of a few who managed to last and stay in the limelite through all these years, but some of those old timers are still alive and kicken.

I never did have the opportunity to meet Larry Lewis but I sure wish I did before he passed on.

Do you guys remember Roy Hilligen and Curt Freeman?

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
How ya doin' stunt? Hope well.

Funny you mention Wyn Paris. And later you said those earlier gym folks were
all characters. Yes, I think that would be an understatement, for sure.

I (very) briefly meet Paris at the Orange County Classic in 1980. They had booths and displays much like the Arnold (setting the stage for that venue, I think), and I was introduced to him and we shook hands. That's it. He was a very short and slight individual, that much I remember. I also understood that he was quite the marketing innovator, although frugal beyond belief. Wyn didn't
have any booth or anything, he was just strolling around the floor with this...
ummm...other guy.

What I remember most about that brief introduction was not Wyn, but the guy
with him; even smaller than Wyn. He was tiny with a capitol "T", yet slim and
somewhat muscular. But more, he had, well...he was the strangest looking human being I think I had ever seen in my life. Strangely weird!

Roy and Curt I knew of, but never had the occasion to meet.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »
Jay, I guess Only has not reached this point yet (he's a slow reader), but he has some interesting stories about Wyn, who is one of those ultra colorful characters in this game called bodybuilding.

I don't have all the facts here but it is my understanding that Wyn was the man behind the success of Jack's Health studios (What was the official name?).

That short guy you saw with Wyn just might have been Jack, because Jack is not tall by any means and definitely not a Steve Reeves look-a-like.

Many years ago, Wyn took a huge penthouse room in a very fancy hotel that came with a private butler (his official title was something much more dignified) and invited all the top lifters and bodybuilders in the state to stop by and learn how to make Big Bucks in a new business he was about to start up on a national scale.

So about 20 of us show up (It was a small state!) and Wyn makes us comfortable with a room service luncheon and his down to earth attitude and demeanor.

Then he starts offering a hundred dollarto anyone who can do the most pushups and another hundred to anyone who can do the most sit ups, and continues to pass out hundred dollar bills like they were singles.

Now we're all got money in our pockets and real good friends and he gathers us around and gives this sales pitch claiming that we were all going to be super-rich by joining up with him and selling Wynn Suppliments and Protien and other "health related" products.

And it's a pyramid scheme, but a pyramid scheme when Pyramid schemes are held in high esteem; so most of us are ready, willing, and able to shell out the $100 entry fee to be at the top of that pyramid.

So we all left there with a case or two of whatever it was that he was selling, but now we were salesmen too, but for some reason it only lasted a couple months more. Never did find out what happened to that enterprise, but about 15 years later, Only invited Wyn to one of his events and Wyn did show up with some new fangled apparatus that was going to be the next best thing to make every kid and grownup big and strong and rich as hell.

And once again, somebody (a lot of somebodies) bought in planning to get big and strong and super rich.

I think that one ended a couple of months sooner.

I was with Wyn and Only when Wyn was praising his new business venture with this bendable piece of iron bar (as I recall it) and I was just about to mention our other venture 15 years earlier, but Wyn is such a good guy and such a character that it was impossible for me to broach the subject, so I let it ride.

Wyn is definitely one of those colorful characters that should be included in that book. And I know Only is gonna jump in here real soon.

Wyn knew Steve and I'd like to contact him one of these days to see if he could offer some FACTs on the matter.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 07:28:43 PM »
Win with Wyn.  That was his monicker.  He came to my show to promote his new "titty building" machine.  I can't even remember what it looked like.  He is such a hyper little guy that truly can't shutup.  I took him to a live radio show here which is the #1 radio show in Hawaii, the Perry & Price Show.  It is on Sta. morning and is done live atop the Sheraton Hotel in the restaurant called the Hano Hano Room.  It has a live audience of around 200 people or so.  It is from 8am to 11am and breakfast is served.  Ihave been on that show maybe a dozen times.  I sometime bring a friend who is in town.  Kazmaier, Big John Studd, Relson Gracie, several others have gone with me.  SO I bring Wyn.  Now we are sitting at the front table directly stage right.  So we get up there and I talk about my show and everything then Wyn comes on.  He is so hyper that he is up on stage jumping up and down and getting the whole place to start yelling Win with Wyn Win with Wyn.  Then he pulls out his boobie making thing and talks about that.  Anyway, he got the whole place going really good.  Well now there are a few more people to talk about other things but Wyn is still promting and disturbing the show.  He was very embarassing but interesting.

At my show I had a very big Bikini contest where I gave away $18,000 in cash.  Anyway we walk in and Wyn wants to sponsor the Best Breast award and gave me $1,000 to so it right there.  But I had to let him go on stage and talk about his boobie machine.  He was shooting a kind of infocommercial for it that is why he wanted all this stuff.  So anyway he gets up there and starts talking gets the winner to try the machine out and then has everyone (over 1000 people) to shant Win with Wyn Win with Wyn.  It was unreal.  this little fart took over wherever he was.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 03:02:10 PM »
Only, at least Wyn "tried" to take over. For such a little runt he carried himself
like a (cocky) giant, sorta like a sawed-off, white Muhammand Ali.

That Breast gadget thing I remember vaguely. Wyn's success came about I
believe do as much to his colorful ways as his marketing savvy. And contrived
or not, he well knew that controversy created attention, pr...and sales.

But whoever that littler guy was with Wyn that day...was truly strange looking!!

Great memories Stunt and Only.

Stunt, now make sure you take care to not fall overboard on your sea trip, so
you can come back here and share. Besides, a watery demise is suppose
to be for sailors, not Marines! Only, give Stunt, the what-for on safety. Some
of those big fish out there are regular beasts.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »
I just got a suitcase delievered to my place from Oahu.  It has a bunch of my stuff in it.  And in there was a promotional tape by Win Paris.  It is spelled "Win" as in Win.  It is title "Win With Win"  I don't have a VHS player but I am sure it is funny.  I remember him having big titted women always around him.  Anyone rememebr his convertibel Cadillac.  He ended up living in it for awhile.  He went from nothing to everything to nothing to almsot everything.  Sounds like me.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »
Only, how the hell do you know about Win's Caddy? Did he tell you that story there in Hawaii?

Recently someone on here mentioned Ed Jubenville but I lost that post somehow and would like to answer that "I don't think it was Jubenville(? Spelling) who did that muscle control act in the early 60's in California)", but Mozee will know for sure and I'm gonna give him a call to see if he can refresh my lapsing memory.

Mozee would appreciate hearing from you, Only.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 09:40:43 PM »
Only, I had heard about Win's win/lose/win life, too, including his caddy.

Fitting for him, wouldn't you say. Colorful character for sure. And you know,
I prefer that type individual on many fronts (not all), but it keeps one's funny
bone active and the juices of entertainment flowing. Afterall, life is meant to
live, isn't it.

Like Tony Robbins would say (I worked for him); Who better to talk about
success better than one who's failed?

So, I guess I can talk about a little success.

________________________ _____

And Stunt, I believe that would be correct. I think that was Ed Jubenville
who did the muscle control act, since he was very big in that and did it as
guest at physique and weightlifting shows, especially back east.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »
My friend Pax Beale swam to Alcatraz I think on his 75th birthday and in the winter when the water is the coldest.

Onlyme, is Pax still training?  How old is he?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 09:53:55 PM »
Legbreaker, I saw Pax within the last couple of months and he is still training and supporting the guys at the LA contests. Had a decent talk with him and Sophie in Venice and then ran into Pax again at the LA or Cal contest in Culver City. Looking well and very fit and colorful.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 10:35:39 PM »
Stunt, that Pax character is quite the guy, isn't he?

What that man has been through, yet continues on in life fighting like a
youngster. Incredible. He would have made a good Marine, huh, Stunt?

He has what the Corps looks for: heart.

Does he still actively pursue his business interests?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »
Jay, you gotta direct those questions to Only cause he worked more closely with him than I did.

Hey, Only, was Pax at that dinner at the top of the hotel the nite Pete picked up the tab? Or was that the Gold's Gym opening function?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 11:52:18 PM »
Actually the last time I talked to Pax he told me he was seeling off allot of his business's because he felt he was getting closer and closer to maybe dying and he didn't want Spohie to have to worry about anything in courts or anything.  That was maybe a year ago.  I call him at home sometimes but mostly at his office.  I don't to bug him to much.  He made a great amount of money in real estate and his medical ventures.  He is good guy.  Just don't get caught getting your picture taken with him when he is wearing his leopard skin spandex. ;D

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 02:44:27 AM »
I think he was wearing those togs at the Cal. I'll send ya the pictures, Only.