Author Topic: 5.0 Mustang Is Back!!!  (Read 3939 times)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: 5.0 Mustang Is Back!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 08:50:23 PM »
Lose the live rear axle. Shed a few lbs. Then you have a real winner imo. The stang is a good car. I just wish they offered fully independent suspension.
if you have ever driven a mustang with independent rear suspension you wouldn't be saying that ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 08:56:53 PM »
if you have ever driven a mustang with independent rear suspension you wouldn't be saying that ;)
expand on your thinking, this is many a persons complaint about the mustang.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 09:17:32 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by the challenger over the challenger but The Challenger looks awesome!!! I want one!!! I am a huge first gen camaro fan so was really excited about the new camaro until I saw it... I think it looks like shit.  The front end is all wrong.

I made my own camaro concept:

Sorry, i meant, "...Challenger over the Mustang"

The IRS in the limited Cobra seemed pretty sweet. I never rode in one, because only 300 were made. Today's IRS are a lot better than anything 20-40 yrs ago. They were thinking of adapting the IRS from the Lincoln LS/Jag S-type platform for the Mustang, but decided not to >:(.

As I said before, in this state of car evolution the Mustang ( if it were made in Europe) should be hunting down M3's. I Beleive that if Ford wasn't in such dire straits with money, and if they put money  into the Mustang that it would be a world beater.

Right now Ford isnothing more than a car company that makes good trucks, not a Card company that makes good cars, unless they are from Ford of Europe.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 09:17:45 PM »
the 03&04 cobras had irs and you cant launch it the cars are to "torquey" given the rpm range and the car just shudders and hops and is completely worthless thats why so many of these scca guys switch over to a 8.8 axle my 03 cobra was strictly for road course and the irs held me back so i built a 8.8 out of a gt and was much better

and i am not hating on anyone,but anytime people ever talk about improving a car and they have never owned the said car,while their favorite car is a euro just doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about

i have won several national scca titles and have driven most of your dream cars,so i am not talking shit i am just giving you info from experience if any body has any questions pm me because i will probably forget about this thread

bench

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 09:19:54 PM »

325 horsepower isn't jack shit. They are neat cars for sure,but some people(usually young  kids)get one and they think they have a hot rod.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 09:21:27 PM »

The IRS in the limited Cobra seemed pretty sweet. I never rode in one, because only 300 were made. Today's IRS are a lot better than anything 20-40 yrs ago. They were thinking of adapting the IRS from the Lincoln LS/Jag S-type platform for the Mustang, but decided not to >:(.

As I said before, in this state of car evolution the Mustang ( if it were made in Europe) should be hunting down M3's. I Beleive that if Ford wasn't in such dire straits with money, and if they put money  into the Mustang that it would be a world beater.

Right now Ford isnothing more than a car company that makes good trucks, not a Card company that makes good cars, unless they are from Ford of Europe.
every cobra made since 1999 has irs

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 09:23:58 PM »

325 horsepower isn't jack shit. They are neat cars for sure,but some people(usually young  kids)get one and they think they have a hot rod.
but your not a car guy,victory lives in the aftermarket.anybody who doesn't know that should ever discuss power and performance of a car.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 09:26:05 PM »
the 03&04 cobras had irs and you cant launch it the cars are to "torquey" given the rpm range and the car just shudders and hops and is completely worthless thats why so many of these scca guys switch over to a 8.8 axle my 03 cobra was strictly for road course and the irs held me back so i built a 8.8 out of a gt and was much better

and i am not hating on anyone,but anytime people ever talk about improving a car and they have never owned the said car,while their favorite car is a euro just doesn't know what the f**k they are talking about

i have won several national scca titles and have driven most of your dream cars,so i am not talking shit i am just giving you info from experience if any body has any questions pm me because i will probably forget about this thread

bench

This man knows his what he is talking about. If you can't hook it up there isn't any use having it. I can imagine an IRS car wheel hopping bad...shit even the old GM a body cars with coil spring suspension in the rear (if left stock) would wheel hop badly enough to rattle your teeth out.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »

This man knows his what he is talking about. If you can't hook it up there isn't any use having it. I can imagine an IRS car wheel hopping bad...shit even the old GM a body cars with coil spring suspension in the rear (if left stock) would wheel hop badly enough to rattle your teeth out.
its really bad when your cobra has a turbo instead of the stock blower and has 960hp and has broken 6 sets of halfshaft because of that trusty irs ;)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 09:44:35 PM »
but your not a car guy,victory lives in the aftermarket.anybody who doesn't know that should ever discuss power and performance of a car.

I'm not a car guy?  I know plenty about the high performance aftermarket. I didn't  buy a hot rod...I BUILT MINE. I have never messed with forced air induction at all,just carburated. I don't mess with the IRS stuff. Mine has ladder bars and coil overs and a spooled 12 bolt with strange axles and 5.14 gears... ;D  I don't do corners.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 10:27:16 PM »
every cobra made since 1999 has irs

Thanks for correcting me.

About the IRS, why is it that BMW and Mercedes (especially Mercedes) can make high torue monsters with IRS suspensions? The SL65 has 700+ torque, and des 11's, stock-- with the air conditioning on but is limited to the mid 11's because of the 285 section tires.

If we're talking drag racing, then yeah a solid axle like the 8.8 or 9" is best, but for handling IRS is best

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »

About the IRS, why is it that BMW and Mercedes (especially Mercedes) can make high torue monsters with IRS suspensions? The SL65 has 700+ torque, and des 11's, stock-- with the air conditioning on but is limited to the mid 11's because of the 285 section tires.

If we're talking drag racing, then yeah a solid axle like the 8.8 or 9" is best, but for handling IRS is best

I am not a fan of euro cars at all...more into muscle cars,but that SL65 is a neat car.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 11:20:52 AM »

Yea, I will take the Challenger and the mustang.  I have been talking for some time that I would really like to see these two cars in my garage. I know my mustang isn't a BMW but with that said, I didn't expect that from her when i forked out the money.  I haven't lost sight that part of a mustang's appeal is its affordable price and what happens to these babies with a few mods.  Mustang has to be one of the most popular American cars to mod.  Now if I had gone into my purchase expecting greater things, I would be pretty disapointed and I don't see all these things happening to the Mustang without a substantial price increase which WILL translate to less buyers.  Mustang is what it is... a Mustang.

Puller

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 02:38:28 PM »
I just bought a new pontiac GTO and it is awesome. It drives like a muscle car, unlike the mustang. The new mustangs feel like sedans when you drive them. Anyone looking for a modern day "muscle" car should definetly take a look at the 06 GTO. They're not making anymore til 2010 to compete with the other muscle cars coming out in that time frame.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 03:56:09 PM »
I just bought a new pontiac GTO and it is awesome. It drives like a muscle car, unlike the mustang. The new mustangs feel like sedans when you drive them. Anyone looking for a modern day "muscle" car should definetly take a look at the 06 GTO. They're not making anymore til 2010 to compete with the other muscle cars coming out in that time frame.
ahaha...oooohhh ok, it's on 8)   ::) I think you mean it doesn't drive like a ricer... You've never driven a classic muscle car have you?  Pure bullshit, my mustang feels nothing like a sedan... Hop in a charger and tell me which one feels more like a sedan ::)  as is, it is close a race between the mustang and gto and you probably paid near 10,000 more than me unless you got a can't get the thing off my lot deal.  If I drop 10 grand into my car, you're in the rear view mirror guaranteed.  Oh and your car looks like the mating of a Grand am and a saturn, pure fugly, sorry, the new GTO is one of the most critized cars on the muscle car forums.  At least the stang doesn't look like a sedan like the gto.  Is there even going to be an 07 GTO ???

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 04:02:43 PM »
ahaha...oooohhh ok, it's on 8)   ::) I think you mean it doesn't drive like a ricer... You've never driven a classic muscle car have you?  Pure bullshit, my mustang feels nothing like a sedan... Hop in a charger and tell me which one feels more like a sedan ::)  as is, it is close a race between the mustang and gto and you probably paid near 10,000 more than me unless you got a can't get the thing off my lot deal.  If I drop 10 grand into my car, you're in the rear view mirror guaranteed.  Oh and your car looks like the mating of a Grand am and a saturn, pure fugly, sorry, the new GTO is one of the most critized cars on the muscle car forums.  At least the stang doesn't look like a sedan like the gto.  Is there even going to be an 07 GTO ???

Why brag about a car that you bought? You had nothing to do with how much power it makes.You may bolt on some stuff to improve it,but you still didn't build the thing.You no doubt have a neat car,but anyone can have one.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2006, 04:09:52 PM »
   Why brag about a car that you bought? You had nothing to do with how much power it makes.You may bolt on some stuff to improve it,but you still didn't build the thing.You no doubt have a neat car,but anyone can have one.
I wasn't the one bragging, did you quote the wrong person?  The mod comment was a point about the price of the gto vs. the mustang.  He tossed a jab at my car, I'm just defending, it's normal ;)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2006, 04:15:32 PM »

read it again,i said given the rpm range ;)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2006, 04:19:07 PM »
     I'm not a car guy?  I know plenty about the high performance aftermarket. I didn't  buy a hot rod...I BUILT MINE. I have never messed with forced air induction at all,just carburated. I don't mess with the IRS stuff. Mine has ladder bars and coil overs and a spooled 12 bolt with strange axles and 5.14 gears... ;D  I don't do corners.
dude I'm sorry,i forgot your old avatar ;D i have also built many cars and motorcycles in my short life

i love straight line more than anything though 40 mph roll is my favorite

me and you should line up one day

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2006, 04:24:04 PM »
dude I'm sorry,i forgot your old avatar ;D i have also built many cars and motorcycles in my short life

i love straight line more than anything though 40 mph roll is my favorite

me and you should line up one day

You have trouble hooking up from a dead stop?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2006, 04:28:01 PM »
the overall quality of American muscle cars is horrible... if your looking for straight line speed theyre great... but theyre horrible in practically every other category...

the interior of the new mustangs is soooo unbelievably cheap looking... + handling nd overall features are sooo far below the competition its disgusting... how ford brain washes all these morons not to cross shop with other vehicles is pure genius on their part... ive owned a mustang GT as my first car, totalled it it of course  :-[, thought it was great... until i cross shopped a little (yes i was a moron) and realized that i was paying a ton for CRAP... currently the 350z, RX8, and s2000 blow the mustang away in virtually every conceivable way cept 0-60 time... i wound up buying the RX8... amazing car...

I don't think any of those vehicles you mentioned would beat a Z06 Vette.
The House that Ruth built

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2006, 04:33:44 PM »
You have trouble hooking up from a dead stop?
yeah,my mustang is set up for roadcourse(for now)and with a turbocharged 796rwhp(as of last week)without the cold fusion 200hp fogger system its a real bitch to hook up

but outrunning the sportbikes never gets old,i also have a 540hp hayabusa so anybody who wants to really prove their car has balls outrun that shit ;D

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »
I don't think any of those vehicles you mentioned would beat a Z06 Vette.

neither do i... cept a zo6 cost nearly triple the price????...

my point was to compare cars with sim. MSRPs... thought that was obviouse?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2006, 03:25:31 PM »
read it again,i said given the rpm range ;)
Ah, hem. Being skooled. So as a SCCA racer, what class? 

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2006, 03:34:50 PM »
Live rear axles are inexpensive to manufacture. Ford uses them to keep costs down for the most part.

Berserker is right about dealer markup and potential customers being angered by their inability to buy one for close to MSRP. That will only last 6 months though and then the cars will probably be readily available.

To be honest Ford would be smart to modernize the car more. Racers that like the live rear axle are only a small part of the potential market. Adding truly modern running gear, suspensions, interiors and options along with a modern and attractive exterior design would open the car up to more potential customers than the typical muscle car attracts. And Lord knows Ford needs the new customers.