Author Topic: what do you think of this upper/lower?  (Read 1188 times)

kcklassic

• Getbig II
what do you think of this upper/lower?
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:14:20 PM »
i have been doing every bodypart once a week high intensity going to failure for the last couple of months, i feel like i have maintained the same size but didnt really grow to much, previously i did everything twice a week got great results, long story short im bored of my current routine and want to try something new out.

Sunday-Lower
Monday-Upper
Tuesday-Off
Wednesday-Upper
Thursday-Lower
Friday-Upper
Saturday-Off

4 sets per exercise

Upper workouts-incline dumbell press, seated dumbell press, wide grip chins, weighted dips, and barbell curls.

Lower workouts-squats, deadlifts, leg press, calves

I have always used mainstream bodybuilding routines such as body parts once a week, arm days, etc. after doing everything once a week very intenesly i feel like i have overtrained more by working so hard just on that day and then on top of that waiting a full week to workout the same part again didnt feel like i was stimulating growth. in my new plan going back to the basic compound exercise and everything gets atleast 48 to 72 hours of rest depending on the bodypart. i tried the upper body workout on friday since, they are all my favorite exercises i was very motivated, lifting heavy weight, and it felt amazing to have the whole upper body pumped at once... i know this is nothing new, this is similar to a football players workout or something like that but what do you experts think? also have a good diet and sleep around 8 to 9 hours a night so...

kcklassic

• Getbig II
Re: what do you think of this upper/lower?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 10:34:05 PM »
got the idea of going back to the basic more compound exercises after talking to a guy i know that recently got released from prison, he was telling me about how they trained, had very few weights, so they did push up's, pull ups, chins and a few other things they did 3 times a week. he told me about how many amazings physique's there were even with the lack of training equipment and diet largley consisting of red beans and rice.

kcklassic

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
anybody

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 06:58:29 PM »
basics are great try it and let us know. honestly u could ditch the barbell curls if u want to get real basic. maybe, bench (incline or flat) cling and press. ( a great whole body mass exercise) dips, chins and then for lower i like what you have maybe some bb rows. looks good. 6-8 rep range and ull see some mass

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 09:05:56 PM »
I wouldnt focus on heavy deads and squats every workout. Instead cycling the heavy deads and squats day is better IMO.

For example:

Lower 1- Light Deads, Heavy Squats
Lower 2- Medium Deads, Medium Squats
Lower 3- Heavy Deads, Light Squats
Repeat

Other methods of cycling the workouts can also be applied. If you're working at maximal loads on heavy days(1-3rm), might wanna cycle the exercises as well(bi-weekly or every three weeks). For example you can cycle through different variations of the Squat, namely Oly Sqts, Box Sqts, Front Sqts, etc for example. This keeps the nervous system from wearing out and allows for progression.

Same can be done for Upper days(pick any "power"  pressing movement-bench,militaries,declines,inclines,floor presses,etc)

follow the arrows

kcklassic

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 09:54:38 PM »
thanks for the input guys, after reading some powerlifting stuff, reading some more of the arnold enyclopedia, and considering im semi new to training should focus more on a building solid platform beforing i start doing to many types of detailing isolation exercises. i think for being a natural right now and still young in the game i will be able to not only grow in size but strength aswell. trust me tho im not gonna gain 30 of fat and think i got huge like many so called "powerlifters"  ::) . heres a link to the plan im gonna start monday...

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 10:47:04 AM »
I'd hate to do upper/lower. What most people do is train the way they've read to or something because they want gains fast like doggcrapp or HIT. The way i see it is whatever way you enjoy training the most is the method thats going to give you the gains. I have a friend who trains whatever isn't sore....thats his way, he may have done , chest,shoulders and calves on monday, but if back is still sore tuesday and chest,shoulders, calves aren't he'll hit em again. and it works for em.
bodybuildersreality.com

kcklassic

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »
i tried this workout tonite, seems like a good way to gain some strength and size but i dont think im ready for it yet. i think before i worry about hitting a barrier on strength i need to get back to just the basics and workout like i have been. since im trying to maintain low bodyfat and dont plan on eating to many excess calories i dont think i would get the kind of results im looking for. hitting the gym 3 times a week i would feel like shit too...