Author Topic: Notes from a reformed HITer  (Read 3479 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
Re: Notes from a reformed HITer
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »
I personally try to stay away from any arguments about "other peoples training"....Im more of a "to each his own" mindset. But in my own personal opinion, I completely disagree with alot of the HIT mentality (from its cultlike status with its followers, to its nongive to change cemented in stone rules, to its psychotic "your going to overtrain" pandemonium)
   And nothing pisses me off more than to see "holier than thou" HIT'ers try to throw an umbrella over any routine or method they deem low set. Alot of these guys try to throw my methods in with their HIT circle and Im sorry but I completely disagree with alot of what HIT guys believe in + I do alot more sets than people think, I just dont count warmups like most people do. Secondly I do in two workouts in 8 days what pretty much everyone else is doing in one workout---thats the major difference between me and volume guys.
    A real strong advanced guy who I train will do legs something like this (weights hypothetical)

calf leg press
90x20
180x12
250x6
325x10<---and i only count this all out work set (though some people will say they did 4 sets)

Hams
lying leg curl
40x24
80x12
120x8
170x22 rest paused (12+7+5)

Stiff legged deads extreme stretches
135x8-12 (holding stretch for count of 10-15

Quads
warmup set on leg press with 180 for 20 (deep/stretch/warmup knees)

adductor machine (3 progressive warmups and then one all out rest pause set)
Why? Check the Sartorius muscle on Platz below and youll see why I have alot of my advanced guys do this machine.

Squats
135x12
225x10
315x8
405x6
465x all out war for 9 reps
(rest)
275x all out war for 20 reps (widowmaker)

(extreme stretch quads)

My mistake is I count that as 2 all out worksets for quads, as I dont count warmups that someone has done 5000 times previously as sets like most people do. Most people up above would claim to have done 6 sets for quads, I dont get why anyone would be counting 135x12 if thats something youve done everytime you squatted the last 8 years of training

Four/Five days later this person would come in and do legs again with new calf, hamstring and quad (maybe hacks this time) exercises in the same setup as above. Most people train legs once a week, my guys train them 2x every 8 days and it you add it all up its probably close to the same workload as the once a week guys.....so yea I get pretty irritated when the HIT/Mentzer guys try to claim that they own everything under their umbrella. Does that mean Arnold owns everything under the volume umbrella? Jay Cutler, and all you guys arent doing your own thing but your under the Arnold volume training umbrella?

Again not to step on anyones toes, to each his own. The best way of training for most people is whatever method they most believe in. I just think like religion,  it (training) shouldnt be thrown into peoples faces unless they ask or inquire about it.

I really like the way that workout looks. I'm using HIT right now as you may have learned, and I'm getting great results from it. And it's somewhat like Doggcrap, but there seems to be more intensity techniques applied.

I also do progressively heavier warm up sets, but I do them really slow. As slow as my working set would be, which would be around 8-15 second long reps.

Anyway, my results have been great so far. I'm using half the weights I used to do, but those light weights are getting stronger every week, and my muscles are really growing, especially in my more genetically weak areas like biceps and calves!  ;D And I do only one working set for them every 8 days!

I'm in no way trying to "throw and umbrella" over HIT. I'm just another bodybuilder trying different routines. I'm not saying it's the best routine, as a matter of fact I think it's crazy. I've never in my life seen another person train like this. It's so strange. I can't imagine what people in my gym think when they see me struggling so arduously with 20 lb. dumbell side laterals. But hey, it works!

Thanks for your posts. Great stuff. And I can't wait to try the Doggcrap workout!
~

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 12:42:42 AM »
I totally agree with what he says. The guy who does 5 sets of 5 is training with a lot more "intensity" than the guy who does one set to failure. Even if you aren't going to complete muscle failure on every set, the cumulative effect of those 5 sets is still going to be greater than that one set to failure.

The great drug-free lifters such as John Grimek, George Eiferman, and Reg Park all used high volume. These guys would've laughed at anyone who thought a one set workout was "intense".

As your Gay father would say to you regarding his love for other men, "don't knock it till you try it son"

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 12:45:42 AM »
Yes, it must take a lot of balls to do one set of lat pulldowns. I don't know how figgs can manage these brutal workouts. ::)

Well if you did do that your taking it to the extreme, don't talk about what you clearly have no clue about.

Brian I suggest if you need to act like an expert go the the GFA (Gay Fathers Anonymous) and preach you heart out.

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 04:33:55 AM »
Like figgs i am now training in a HIT style. But the two of us have different syles of training.

I wouldnt throw an umbrella over all low volume and say it should be like this b/c that is not how i myself train.I have read and taken info from ther likes of jones and mentzer and other HIT users (some on this site), and am using a routine that is actually based around mainly compound movements (mentzer and jones used pre-exhaust), i pre-exhaust shoulders using side laterals follwed by BB press, and i pre-exhaust quads with extensions followed by squats and leg press, but apart from that i use comounds for all muscles.

Also i do not use the same rep length as other HIT-ers. i lower for about a 4 second negative, but i try and explode on the way up (believing in the power aspect of a rep and trying to increase my overall power as an athlete).

Unlike mentzer i do not fail on static and negative parts of the rep.
i fail on positive part of the rep, then have couple forced reps, then rest/pause (i believe that is used alot in dog crapp training??), then go until i fail again and have couple more forced reps, then drop weight down about 35% and go through it again.

So even though i believe myself to be a HIT style trainer, i do not follow set in stone rules, as i believe bodybuilding is about different individuals tailoring different routines to suit their bodys and workout needs.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 04:35:22 AM »
guys often the magic happens when you change something...its not A or B thats magic..its the bridge from A to B that is golden.