Author Topic: Liberals cannot be true Christians  (Read 12352 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Liberals cannot be true Christians
« on: December 28, 2006, 11:23:54 PM »
Please explain.......it's my belief that Liberals cannot be true Christians, make it quick, I have a feeling this thread will be moved real quick with your post and my response!

(A mod asked me to move this discussion here - my first visit to the place)

Is this true?   

If Jesus was on Earth today, which side of the war effort would he be on?  Would Jesus advocate the killing of people who had committed no sin... only because they might someday do that act? 

What about oil?  Bush has said we had to invade iraq because they might try to hurt our economy by raising oil prices. If a merchant wished to raise the price on his fish (while all the other fish vendors sold at regular price), would Jesus order his disciples to rob and kill the higher priced vendor?

This is a scary point of view.  Where did you come up with it?

As for everyone else, thoughts on the topic?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Liberals cannot be true Christians
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:41:47 PM »
i guess 'liberal' needs to be defined.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 01:37:32 AM »
  Bob Beckel, a Fox news contributor and liberal Democrat, became a born-again Christian six years ago. Jesus, like most everyone else, had both liberal and conservative sides. IntenseOne is just a moron.

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 08:31:50 AM »
IntenseOne is just a mororn.

Were you trying to say "mormon"?   ???
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:47:55 AM »
I like this answer, and it was about exactly what I was thinking too... I don't see how you don't consider Jesus a liberal.  And don't forget, most certainly any argument that Jesus was a conservative is absurd.  To best fit these labels of today on the Jews in the time of Jesus, you would most certainly not be able to exclude Jesus from the liberal group and yes I know there are problems trying to apply these terms to the people of that time.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060912015059AAO0asF

Liberals by definition hold Liberty to be the primary political value. 'Liberty' is the condition in which an individual has immunity from tyranny and the arbitrary whimsical, illogical, unquestionable and/or unjust exercise of authority. Broadly speaking, contemporary liberalism emphasizes individual rights. It seeks a society characterized by freedom of thought for individuals, limitations on power, especially of government and religion, the rule of law, free public education, the free exchange of ideas, a market economy that supports relatively free private enterprise, and a transparent system of government in which the rights of all citizens are protected. In modern society, liberals favor a liberal democracy with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law and an equal opportunity to succeed.

Boil it down to practical application and Liberals believe for the most part that the government should provide for a degree of general welfare, including unemployment benefits for the poor, housing for the homeless, and medical care for the sick.

Jesus taught that we should understand the true meaning of the Law (to love God and to love your neighbor as you love yourself) and not to follow the arbitrary traditions of men which leads to oppresion; to not be as the hypocrits are. He taught that the truth will set you free.

Jesus healed the sick, fed the hungry, taught that we should help the poor and give generously to the needy. His teachings repeat this theme in sermons, parables, miracles and practice throughout the New Testament.

Jesus is a Liberal.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 10:59:18 AM »
Interesting quote from Jane of Arc :o lolol....

Quote from: Jane of Arc
In the mood of the Christmas spirit it's hard to ignore the message or the messenger. Christ. And make no mistake about it ... if Christ were here today he would be in the front line of the anti-war rally promoting peace, protesting with the other anti-globalist before the G8 Summit & the World Bank on behalf of the poor and hungry. He would be fighting side by side with other liberals for the rights of the less fortunate and world peace.

Christ was NOT pro-war, but pro-peace. When someone slaps your face you turn the other cheek. That means you do not perpetuate violence. That means you understand that dehumanization cannot be fought with more dehumanization.

Christ told us to love thy enemy. That means we must learn to understand our enemies culture and religion. Love means we take responsibility for the actions of America and other western nations in creating conflict in the Middle East. It means to act with compassion and understanding rather than sanctions and bombs.

Christ taught us to feed the poor.

Christ taught us to care for the sick.

Christ taught us to have compassion for the less fortunate.

Christ taught us to share and give rather than hoard with greed when he tipped over the tables of the money lenders.

When I first heard the term "compassionate conservative" I, and every liberal I knew, laughed. It was and remains a bad joke. There is nothing .... I repeat ... NOTHING compassionate about conservatives!!!

They are the most un-Christian group of people I have ever witnessed. They wouldn't know 'peace, love and understanding' if it came up and bit them in the ass!

Love and Peace on Earth to All! Even the Conservatives! Please may they learn.

http://progressivesonline.com/showthread.php?t=379

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 11:34:27 AM »
It's pretty much a no-brainer that christ would have been liberal.

His teachings at the core are liberal.

Only a neo-con thumper would think otherwise

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 01:35:07 PM »
Mr. I is a fucking moron.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 09:49:30 AM »
Of course liberals can be Christians.  I don't think either party has a monopoly on Christianity.  On the other hand, some of American liberalism is anti-Christian:  abortion on demand, views on homosexuality, etc.  That isn't to say anyone who holds those views isn't a Christian (not saying that at all), but those views are difficult to reconcile with the Bible.

And Jesus a liberal?  Hardly.  I doubt he would have performed a gay marriage ceremony.  I doubt he would have aborted babies as a form of birth control.  I doubt he would have been anti-death penalty.  I doubt he would have supported bloated, wasteful government spending.   

Purge_WTF

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 11:08:50 AM »
I doubt he would have supported bloated, wasteful government spending.

Er--the Republislime have been quite guilty of that for the past six years.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »
I doubt he would have been anti-death penalty. 

ahahahahaha.... Read the bible before you argue stuff like this... ;)

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 11:12:11 AM »
  Bob Beckel, a Fox news contributor and liberal Democrat, became a born-again Christian six years ago. Jesus, like most everyone else, had both liberal and conservative sides. IntenseOne is just a moron.

FYI, after Beckle became born-again, he changed his views on alot of his old beliefs!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 11:12:47 AM »
  Er--the Republislime have been quite guilty of that for the past six years.

O.K.  That means he wouldn't have been a 21st century Republican. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 11:13:39 AM »
ahahahahaha.... Read the bible before you argue stuff like this... ;)

I read the Bible all the time.  Which part says Jesus was anti death penalty? 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 11:14:47 AM »
Of course liberals can be Christians.  I don't think either party has a monopoly on Christianity.  On the other hand, some of American liberalism is anti-Christian:  abortion on demand, views on homosexuality, etc.  That isn't to say anyone who holds those views isn't a Christian (not saying that at all), but those views are difficult to reconcile with the Bible.

And Jesus a liberal?  Hardly.  I doubt he would have performed a gay marriage ceremony.  I doubt he would have aborted babies as a form of birth control.  I doubt he would have been anti-death penalty.  I doubt he would have supported bloated, wasteful government spending.   

If Liberals truly believed this, they would not be Liberals....however, I agree with the rest of this post!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 11:16:43 AM »
It's pretty much a no-brainer that christ would have been liberal.

His teachings at the core are liberal.

Only a neo-con thumper would think otherwise

REALLY...point it out! Are you saying Jesus was a pacifist??

Purge_WTF

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 02:28:50 PM »
FYI, after Beckle became born-again, he changed his views on alot of his old beliefs!

Obviously not to the point of becoming a narrow-minded nincompoop like you.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 05:33:29 PM »
  I doubt he would have supported bloated, wasteful government spending.  

Are you saying that Dems are all about bloated spending, and Republicans are the fiscally responsible ones?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 05:58:10 PM »
Are you saying that Dems are all about bloated spending, and Republicans are the fiscally responsible ones?

Actually, what I said was "I doubt he would have supported bloated, wasteful government spending."  A liberal hallmark. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
Jesus, like most everyone else, had both liberal and conservative sides.

Exactly right.
Therefor, we can conclude...
Messiah was an Independent. ;)

Well,
I'm sure glad we settled this debate.

Next Topic:
Gun Control

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »
Actually, what I said was "I doubt he would have supported bloated, wasteful government spending."  A liberal hallmark. 

In the last 6 years, which party to you think has done more "bloated, wasteful" spending?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 12:20:21 AM »
That's a loaded question. The range needs to be all of history to be fair.

Good point.

2001-2006 Bush.

VS.

1996-2001 Clinton.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 01:49:09 AM »
In the last 6 years, which party to you think has done more "bloated, wasteful" spending?

In the last 50 years, Democrats.  Obviously.  Especially in Hawaii.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 08:26:16 AM »
In the last 50 years, Democrats.  Obviously.  Especially in Hawaii.   

nice dodge ;)

2001-2006 Bush.

VS.

1996-2001 Clinton.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 10:17:17 AM »
I know.  But when someone said Liberals were irresponsiblie spenders, i about spit out my Jaeger bomb.

The last 6 years have been a hugely irresponsible collection of spending, giving money to defense contractors without audits, and above all, that little ol' 2.3 TRILLION dollars that the Dept of Def CANNOT FIND.