Author Topic: Canned Tuna  (Read 2162 times)

Eulogy

• Getbig III
  • May the bridges I burn light the way
Canned Tuna
« on: January 02, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »
Hey folks,

Quick question - does canned tuna have a shelf-life? I've looked over my cans, but I cannot find an expiration date... It's not that it's old, but I am just curious.

Thanks folks.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Canned Tuna
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 08:55:08 PM »
Hey folks,

Quick question - does canned tuna have a shelf-life? I've looked over my cans, but I cannot find an expiration date... It's not that it's old, but I am just curious.

Thanks folks.

Recent purchases have a 2010 date on them.
:

Eulogy

• Getbig III
  • May the bridges I burn light the way
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:30:52 PM »
Thanks Princess L!

I have a bunch of new cans of tuna, 'cus I went away for a month and left about 40 cans in dry storage. I was afraid to touch'em, so now I'll dig in!

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:17:09 AM »
Tinned food can actually be kept indefinitely.  As long as the can isn't bulging or looks swollen before you open it, its fine.  When the food inside starts to decompose methane is released which causes the can to 'inflate' needless to say it will reek to high heavens when you then do open it!
It hasn't helped...

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:48:44 AM »
God I hate fukin tuna  :-X I still eat it but I hate is with all my little black heart

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:55:59 AM »
I can think of no more useful tool than canned tuna when you factor in the price, the nutritional content (high protein, low fat), the portability, the convenience (pre-measured), how long it lasts, etc.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:56:54 AM »
God I hate fukin tuna  :-X I still eat it but I hate is with all my little black heart
Tuna patties are good   :D
bodybuildersreality.com

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 12:48:45 PM »

Try the marinated stuff in the pouches - tastes better and is a good change of pace.  Else move on to canned chicken...
Motherboy (the band).

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »
god i wish new zealand would hurry up and get this canned chicken , can't think of anything better for quick snack at work.

Im in retail so tuna breath kinda isnt cool  :-\

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »
Canned chicken almost smells like white albacore tuna.  Kind of wierd.

ATOMIC

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »
just have some gum on hand and you wont have to worry about tna breath. I work with people all day and that's my secret. Pick up something sugar free and just have half a peice for 5 minutes or so. ;) The body is worth it.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »
Use half of a bottle of this hot sauce (spicy but not too hot, flavorable and slightly sweet) per can of tuna and I guarantee you will not complain about the taste of tuna ever again.  I buy three bottles per week ($1.10 each).

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 06:17:17 PM »
What do you guys think about the mercury levels in tuna? Should they not be worried about when consuming a large number of cans per week?

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:08:51 PM »
Use half of a bottle of this hot sauce (spicy but not too hot, flavorable and slightly sweet) per can of tuna and I guarantee you will not complain about the taste of tuna ever again.  I buy three bottles per week ($1.10 each).

Is this similar to tabasco?

And apparently the mercury thing isnt worth worrying about , don't have the rescources or anything but remember reading about the whole shin dig a while back.

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »
What do you guys think about the mercury levels in tuna? Should they not be worried about when consuming a large number of cans per week?

If you eat the cheap stuff (light chunk) you are ok - lowest mercury levels.  Alabacore has much more - limit this intake (maybe 1-2 cans a week imo).

Also, something you might not know...  Whole Foods and Trader Joes (and other specialty grocery stores I imagine) carry a "Tongol Tuna".  Now that stuff tastes great and is only like 99 cents a can.  The best part is that the sodium is TONS lower.  I even think they have a non sodium version.  Try it out - it's worth the buck.  I mix that in once in a while...
Motherboy (the band).

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 10:38:05 PM »
I usually eat Albacore. Can't stand the fishy taste of the cheaper stuff. Guess I'll have to learn to get used to it.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 10:46:41 PM »
Only albacore for me.

The cheap shit is the leftover garbage.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »
Is this similar to tabasco?

I like tobasco bit this is a different style and taste, more gentle and with a slightly sweeeter taste.  Try it.  It costs a bit more online if you can't find it at your supermarket, but still cheap.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 07:53:54 AM »
Also, something you might not know...  Whole Foods and Trader Joes (and other specialty grocery stores I imagine) carry a "Tongol Tuna".  Now that stuff tastes great and is only like 99 cents a can.  The best part is that the sodium is TONS lower.  I even think they have a non sodium version.  Try it out - it's worth the buck.  I mix that in once in a while...

I bought the tongol for the first time at the supermarket (Safeway Select brand).  I do like the taste.