Author Topic: FTC FINES BOGUS SUPPLEMENT COMPANIES MILLIONS!  (Read 3820 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
FTC FINES BOGUS SUPPLEMENT COMPANIES MILLIONS!
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:07:51 AM »
Diet pill makers fined millions for false claims
Marketers of popular weight-loss drugs misled consumers, FTC says

WASHINGTON - The Federal Trade Commission on Thursday fined the marketers of four weight loss pills $25 million for making false advertising claims ranging from rapid weight loss to reducing the risk of cancer.

FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras said the products would remain on store shelves, but that the companies would have to stop making the false claims.

“What we challenge is the marketing of the claims,” she said. “The marketers are required to back up the claims with the science and if they can’t do that they can’t make the claim. But we don’t ban the products from the shelves.”

The FTC investigated a variety of claims made — including rapid weight loss and reduction in the risk of osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s and even cancer, Majoras noted.

Fines were levied against marketers of Xenadrine EFX, One A Day Weight Smart, CortiSlim and TrimSpa.

Telephone calls to the marketers seeking comment were not immediately returned Thursday.

Majoras said that some of the money paid as civil fines would be returned to consumers. “We always try to get money back when consumers have been deceived,” she said. “In this instance I’m pleased to say that I believe we’re going to get millions back from some of these products to be able to return it to consumers.”

The largest fine was levied against two marketers of Xenadrine EFX, made by New Jersey-based Nutraquest, Inc., formerly known as Cytodyne Technologies. The marketers will pay at least $8 million and as much as $12.8 million. A federal lawsuit has been filed in Newark, N.J. The marketer was identified as RTC Research & Development, LLC, based in Manasquan, N.J.

A $12 million fine was assessed against seven marketers of CortiSlim and CortiStress. The marketers were identified as Window Rock Health Laboratories, based in Brea, Calif.

The Bayer Corp., based in Morristown, N.J., will pay a $3.2 million civil penalty to settle the claims and agreed to stop ads that say the multivitamins can increase metabolism. TrimSpa, based in Whippany, N.J., will pay $1.5 million.

Placebo more effectiveMajoras cautioned the estimated 70 million Americans trying to lose weight not to turn to pills.

Xenadrine EFX, which contains, among other ingredients, green tea extract (EGCG), caffeine, and bitter orange (Citrus aurantium), was advertised heavily in print and on television, according to the FTC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You’re not going to find weight loss in a bottle of pills,” she said.

She said the FTC investigation found that the marketers of Xenadrine had a study that said those who took a placebo actually lost more weight than those taking the pill.

“They not only didn’t have studies to support the claim, they actually had a study that went the other way,” she said.

Some of the products marketed their claims through infomercials or celebrity endorsements. Anna Nicole Smith, for example, has endorsed TrimSpa.

“Testimonials from individuals are not a substitute for science,” Majoras said. “And that’s what Americans need to understand.”

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
ahahaha c'mon put your hands up if you have used these products!!!!!!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V

It has been said in America that there is a SUCKER born every minute.

How did Anna Nicole lose all that weight then?

NO "diet pills" work at all...not since ma huang was taken away.
?

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
Doesn't Pinnacle own the Cytodyne brand?
Motherboy (the band).

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
I see some of that garbage at Costco.  Never tried them.  The more advertising a company does, the less I'm ept to buy it.
Thanks TA, I was waiting for that to happen to them.  Anatorp270 is next with all muscletech garbage.
Most are all show no go!

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries

NO "diet pills" work at all...not since ma huang was taken away.

Hear Hear
Motherboy (the band).

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
I see some of that garbage at Costco.  Never tried them.  The more advertising a company does, the less I'm ept to buy it.
Thanks TA, I was waiting for that to happen to them.  Anatorp270 is next with all muscletech garbage.
Yup!

Anatorp70 is nothing more than whey concentrate with creatine and dextrose with some essential amino acids. HOWEVER...it will put 40lbs of muscle on you and change your DNA biological genetic makeup.
?

Dan-O

• Getbig V
  How did Anna Nicole lose all that weight then?

TrimSpa, babyyyyyy!!!  :-*

midknight

• Getbig IV
  • Soon, you will know the meaning of pain.
Doesn't Pinnacle own the Cytodyne brand?

yes, also all owned by Great Earth Vit
pain day

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
Yup!

Anatorp70 is nothing more than whey concentrate with creatine and dextrose with some essential amino acids. HOWEVER...it will put 40lbs of muscle on you and change your DNA biological genetic makeup.

what are you trying to say? that it won't work? 

but the guy in the white lab coat said that it will
Here comes the money shot

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Do you have a link to this article? Can't find it.

Rudee

• Getbig V
I heard Anna Nicole Smith lost the majority of her weight through gastric bypass surgery and lipo and then got paid by TrimSpa to make people believe that it was only TrimSpa that was responsible for the weight loss.

johnnyx

• Getbig II

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
what are you trying to say? that it won't work? 

but the guy in the white lab coat said that it will
Hahahahahahaha!

Yea...the actor..oh, I mean DOCTOR with the stethescope on with the plastic model of a 'molecule' on the counter with the clip board.

Hahahahahaha!

Know what's funnier? In OXYGEN and M/F-Hers...the SAME ads but you got a FEMALE "doctor" with the same stethescope with the same clipboard and same plastic model of a molecule "explaining" the product to Jenny Lynn as Jenny Lynn looks deep in thought.

Waaaa hahahahahahahahaha!
?

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries

Know what's funnier? In OXYGEN and M/F-Hers...

You read those?
Motherboy (the band).

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
The TRUE GETBIG STORY OF ANNA NICOLE SMITH

BigNationRadio.com

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
You read those?
Mrs. BlockHead does so I take them in the can with me when I drop a DEUCE sometimes.
?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: FTC FINES BOGUS SUPPLEMENT COMPANIES MILLIONS!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »
In regards to Cytodyne, here is a response I got. As for saying the products do not work, that is bull. The FTC fines the companies based on claims made, not if the product is working.

"I thought it might be a good idea to give you the other side of what you might have seen or heard on the Today show and other reports.

All reference to Xenadrine was related to an old ongoing investigation of the Old Cytodyne Technologies company by the FTC. We have absolutely no liability here.  The FTC settlement/Fines were against Bob Chinnery and Old Cytodyne Technologies.

Cytodyne LLC has been advertising knowing we are on the radar and we do not make before and after claims. We do not make any claim we can't support. If you see the current T.V. ad running this Diet Season, you will note we just show a girl walking on the beach in a bikini.

Thought you might appreciate instead of just coming to conclusions."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 01:51:08 PM »
Xenadrine used to use Craiggers and Kelly for their 2005 ads.

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 03:04:31 PM »
Yeah, I remember they used to have the whole picture of him, and after he got arrested, they cut out his head.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 03:13:50 PM »
Sorry but this is just another warning on the wall, of how our government is stepping in on another big business. I think we all know that cytodyne, and a few others ingredients worked just fine and that the ingredients in the pills, are shown to help aid in fat loss. Fat America trying to blame others for their problems, haha

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »
Xenadrine used to use Craiggers and Kelly for their 2005 ads.
So am I correct to assume that Xenadrine causes ultraviolence?

Special "Clockwork" Orange
BigNationRadio.com

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 04:35:32 PM »

How els do you explain throwing a dead body of a young woman in a sports car and setting it ablaze? Steroids? Xtasy? Meth?

Nope!

Xenadrine!

The ''little droogie, O' my brothers'' BlockHead
?

thisiskeith12

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 08:14:07 PM »
I believe this is more of an attack on false advertising than anything else. Of course, it's not the false advertising, it's the dumbasses who think one bottle of diet pills will have them looking 50 lbs lighter in a few days.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 04:40:19 PM »

Cytodyne LLC fights back to make sure people know they are not involved.

http://www.getbig.com/news/2007/01/20070105cytodyne.htm