Author Topic: I propose a new rule for BCS championship game  (Read 19586 times)

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
I propose a new rule for BCS championship game
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:02:49 AM »
Auburn screwed out of playing in the big game couple years back and seems each time the SEC gets the opportunity they beat the living hell out of the competition and win the championship.  SO i propose a new rule, the winner of the SEC is guaranteed a place in the championship game and the reason is simple.  The SEC is heads and tails above every other conference in the country.   And lemme say it just once, GOOD GOD HOW OVERRATED OHIO STATE AND MICHIGAN truly were.   I'd say about 5 or 6 teams from the SEC alone would have defeated Ohio State this year.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: I propose a new rule for BCS championship game
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:21:18 AM »
They only legitimate way to determine the "national champion" is to have a playoff system like every other sport, including all levels of NCAA football.  Every conference winner and a few at large teams should decide it on the field.  Pretty simple.  But won't happen. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:49:16 AM »
They only legitimate way to determine the "national champion" is to have a playoff system like every other sport, including all levels of NCAA football.  Every conference winner and a few at large teams should decide it on the field.  Pretty simple.  But won't happen. 

right...and its only d1 A that dosent have a playoff...because d1aa have it as well as d2 and d3..so what gives. whats the reason. Why cant oneo f the major sponsors just sponsor the big playoff games. like the last 4 can be sponsored by nokia, tostidos and who ever else sponsors the 4 bcs games.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:54:32 AM »
right...and its only d1 A that dosent have a playoff...because d1aa have it as well as d2 and d3..so what gives. whats the reason. Why cant oneo f the major sponsors just sponsor the big playoff games. like the last 4 can be sponsored by nokia, tostidos and who ever else sponsors the 4 bcs games.

Makes sense, but it's all about the Benjamins.  How much money did the Big Ten make off the bowl games this year?  I'm not sure what the payouts were, but Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin received millions in BCS payouts, which they shared with their conference.  Those guys aren't giving up the current system without a fight.  Very frustrating.   

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:55:16 AM »

Like the man said..."Pretty simple.  But won't happen".  That's because the NCAA gets its bowl games out of the way during Christmas-new years and a little latter, while most NFL players get to go home to spend Christmas with family and friends.   Then the NFL playoffs.  I don't think TV would want to go head to head with NCAA playoffs vs. NFL.  The idea's the only real way to determin who the #1 college team is, but time and advertising $ usually win over what's good for the fans.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:00:26 AM »

I agree and your right it won't happen. The Big-10 has no championship game and doesn't want one. Notre Dame (which everyone loves) will never join a conference. Just think about how boring it would be to see the SEC champ and another top 5 SEC school run the table through that system and end up playing each other again in the champioship. Not to say it's not legit, but it's all about $$$

Just look how bad everyone (reporters, sports talk shows, radio) wanted Michigan to get a rematch because they felt they had the best shot at beating Ohio State. Or the people who wanted USC there instead. 

I love the SEC, but I know it won't happen simply because of REGIONAL generated $$$. You'll lose west coast, midwest, some eastern and northern ratings big time.

I'm still trying to find the other Sears trophy for the 2004 BCS championship that's actually located Baton Rouge, Louisiana that was converted to an AP Poll "shared" title with the feel good "west coast tv coverage"team USC from 2004 that was supposed to be irrelevant because of the BCS system.

Why wasn't USC vs LSU played out that year? REGIONAL COVERAGE. It was better to play OU vs LSU in the sugarbowl for the south, southeast and play USC vs Michigan in the rosebowl for the entire westcoast and north, northeast coverage than play LSU vs USC for the "TRUE" title game (since they knew their could be a possible split if the didn't play obviously, but the BCS was supposed to eliminate this...LOL!!) also they would have lost the Rose bowl $$$ because the BCS title was to be played at the Sugar, and they knew they'd lose alot of $$$ on a Michigan vs OU Rose bowl in pasadena (???) yeah that wouldn't fly with west coast coverage.

It's all about $$$. Which is how auburn got shafted. They were considered boring, not ready...etc. Well they ran through the SEC, won the SEC title..what more do you have to do. Wasn't about that, it was about coverage. The BCS Title game was at the Rose bowl that year, so you'd lose $$$ at the sugar bowl since that game would or could have been OU vs some other team and not an SEC team.

Plus not to mention OU got their a$$ smashed like 60-10 or some sh*t. What a great game.

I'm all for the playoff system, but it won't happen man.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »
serious...yall dont think it will ever happen....i think with some of the mid major comferences beating some the majors that there will have to be one soon.  boise state went undefeted and beat OU...that says something

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »
serious...yall dont think it will ever happen....i think with some of the mid major comferences beating some the majors that there will have to be one soon.  boise state went undefeted and beat OU...that says something

I here ya Big Mal, but you have to think about how much $$$ these larger schools bring to the table. I know these smaller schools are winning here and there and actually may deserve a shot, but it won't be until they start dominating year after year after year that the balance of power will shift (this year is was rutgers and boise, next year it will be two different teams) there needs to be more consistency from the SAME TEAMS for the country to push the people upstairs into letting these guys in.

That's when recruiting kicks in. These small schools just don't have the recruit dept sitting on the bench like these large schools to stay on top and maintain that consistency that I feel is needed for your team to get to the next level in "their" current system....and even THEN when they do I doubt it would happen because these well established large schools will just muscle them down with more $$$, politics,strength of schedule...etc.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 10:13:44 AM »
I think they might eventually cave and have something like an 8 team playoff.  Even that would be illegitimate IMO.  You would still have some fat sportswriter who never watched a team play voting on whether they should be ranked high enough to play in the whatever system they come up with.    

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 10:17:59 AM »
I think they might eventually cave and have something like an 8 team playoff.  Even that would be illegitimate IMO.  You would still have some fat sportswriter who never watched a team play voting on whether they should be ranked high enough to play in the whatever system they come up with.    

So just go by conference champs....Im saying a retarted high blind monkey can see that this shit is awful...WV looses a game and they are out on their asses....last year they beat the sec and this year they beat the acc... but they lose once and they are still in it. and the strength of schedule means nothing to me....look at michigans schedule...they played 1 team and lost to them. This is all shit now.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:19:06 AM »
West Virginia owned the SEC champion last year Georgia in the sugar bowl

E
E

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:19:55 AM »
and they beat the acc champ ga tech this year

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 10:20:46 AM »
So just go by conference champs....Im saying a retarted high blind monkey can see that this shit is awful...WV looses a game and they are out on their asses....last year they beat the sec and this year they beat the acc... but they lose once and they are still in it. and the strength of schedule means nothing to me....look at michigans schedule...they played 1 team and lost to them. This is all shit now.

You're preaching to the choir man.  Completely agree.  

Didn't Ohio State almost lose to Ball State this year?  

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 10:23:25 AM »
You're preaching to the choir man.  Completely agree.  

Didn't Ohio State almost lose to Ball State this year?  

I think there will be a change in the next 3 years....if coaches stay. (patrino) then i think the mid majors will make too much noise to be ignored...the only way right now they prove they are legitimate is by beating the crap of the majors in the bowl games.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 10:33:58 AM »

I think there will be a change in the next 3 years....if coaches stay. (patrino) then i think the mid majors will make too much noise to be ignored...the only way right now they prove they are legitimate is by beating the crap of the majors in the bowl games.

I thought Patrino went to coach the atlanta falcons already.???

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:34:15 AM »

Like Boise beating Oklahoma and Hawaii beating ASU (41 points and 680 yards offense).  

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 10:35:21 AM »
I think they might eventually cave and have something like an 8 team playoff.  Even that would be illegitimate IMO.  You would still have some fat sportswriter who never watched a team play voting on whether they should be ranked high enough to play in the whatever system they come up with.   

I feel you on this. You know they would bit*h about those one loss teams or those 2 big 10 schools that ran the table and didn't play each other that year or some sh*t. Or better yet the team that loses game 1 early and runs the table and wins the conference against the team that lost it's first game THAT GAME and they should get a shot..etc,etc.

LOL I feel you.

and if they expand the team field out to 10 or 12 to appease then that's when you will have "an honest system" and can let "other teams in" but I honestly believe they will eventually fold to the SEC  powerhouses that get in. For instance a team that didn't even reach the SEC title game like LSU ranked 4th would raise hell in a system like this and they were considered ONLY the 4th best team by SEC east and west conference standings.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »
I thought Patrino went to coach the atlanta falcons already.???

yeah i know i was being sarcastic

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 10:44:34 AM »
Like the man said..."Pretty simple.  But won't happen".  That's because the NCAA gets its bowl games out of the way during Christmas-new years and a little latter, while most NFL players get to go home to spend Christmas with family and friends.   Then the NFL playoffs.  I don't think TV would want to go head to head with NCAA playoffs vs. NFL.  The idea's the only real way to determin who the #1 college team is, but time and advertising $ usually win over what's good for the fans.

I'm sure the NFL would not want to go head to head with a college playoff system, college playoff system would smoke the ratings of the NFL.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 10:45:43 AM »
yeah i know i was being sarcastic

oh lol! He's got a nice philosophy on the offensive side of the ball. He should do nice things with Warrick and Norwood in Atlanta. I wonder how vick will fit into his system. I know it relied somewhat partially heavy in the pass a little. Wonder if vick can handle the change in the offensive scheme and still be somewhat effective in the next few years (besides taking off when stuff breaks down or he's into his drop to fast)

Remember he didn't do too well with Mora's scheme or Dan Reeve's earlier on. Not that I care, I'm a saints fan. Just throwing that in there because I won't be surprised if after evaluation he is trade bait or something. Coaches are getting sh*t canned left and right after 2-3 yers nowadays LOL!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 10:48:02 AM »
oh lol! He's got a nice philosophy on the offensive side of the ball. He should do nice things with Warrick and Norwood in Atlanta. I wonder how vick will fit into his system. I know it relied somewhat partially heavy in the pass a little. Wonder if vick can handle the change in the offensive scheme and still be somewhat effective in the next few years (besides taking off when stuff breaks down or he's into his drop to fast)

Remember he didn't do too well with Mora's scheme or Dan Reeve's earlier on. Not that I care, I'm a saints fan. Just throwing that in there because I won't be surprised if after evaluation he is trade bait or something. Coaches are getting sh*t canned left and right after 2-3 yers nowadays LOL!

I think he likes the power back like michael bush..btw you think he is comming out.

and im a saints fan too....all the way baby..

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 10:50:13 AM »
I'm sure the NFL would not want to go head to head with a college playoff system, college playoff system would smoke the ratings of the NFL.

wrong

many people watch the pros but never college sports

E
E

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:51 AM »

Vick can't do any worse than how he fucked up Mora's offensive scheme.  First thing Petrino should do is trade Vick immediately and get Schaub back under center.  I sonder how many girls in NFL cities have caught herpes from mike vick?
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 11:09:26 AM »
Vick can't do any worse than how he fucked up Mora's offensive scheme.  First thing Petrino should do is trade Vick immediately and get Schaub back under center.  I sonder how many girls in NFL cities have caught herpes from mike vick?

You mean getting to the NFC Championship game with arguably the worst set of WRs in the NFL wasn't good enough? 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 11:26:13 AM »
I think they might eventually cave and have something like an 8 team playoff.  Even that would be illegitimate IMO.  You would still have some fat sportswriter who never watched a team play voting on whether they should be ranked high enough to play in the whatever system they come up with.   

The problem with that is that the #9 team will be bitching nonstop now.