Author Topic: Black people 'should get over' slavery? Comment stuns lawmakers in Virginia  (Read 24537 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Black people 'should get over' slavery? Comment stuns lawmakers in Virginia
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »
You shouldn't have to explain it.  Shame. 
For me to be able do what the f i want....i couldnt think of it another way.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2007, 02:29:53 PM »
For me to be able do what the f i want....i couldnt think of it another way.

so you would die to be able to do what the fuck you want?

sounds stupid. When you're dead, you won't do shit.

Same is dying for your country. You die, then what? Terrorist attacks stop? Muslims die out?

No. You bring pain and sorrow over your family and the ones that love you. That's all.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »
No poor dumb bastard ever won a war dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
Squishy face retard

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2007, 03:15:55 PM »
No poor dumb bastard ever won a war dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

yup.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »
gotta love inserting patton quotes into the thread
Valhalla awaits.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2007, 03:35:12 PM »
gotta love inserting patton quotes into the thread
Fuck ya.
Squishy face retard

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2007, 04:31:21 PM »
Dude, you clearly know nothing about Asians. No disrepect to Asians intended. Some of my best friends and business partners are Asians, but you clearly know nothing about their culture, or their attitudes, or their crime stats, because so rarely do they get reported. And as for crime committed by Asians, don't even think of messing with a member of a triad. {lol} don't even LOOK the wrong way at someone who knew someone who heard of someone in a triad.   :o

And you do? What a crock of shit about their crime rates not getting reported.  ::) I don't make too many assumptions based on reports and stats, rather I like to judge based on my observations. Believe me when I tell you that I've seen black americans commit crimes, act rude and bitch at a much higher rate than almost everyone put together. And you know what? Stats correspond to my observations.

You point to asian culture, asian attitude, precise reasons why asians are sucessful. Maybe black americans should work on their culture and attitude, instead of asking for free hand outs of money. I mean asking for money because of slavery is perhaps the most pathetic thing ever.

Jag, I respect you, you're a very intelligent woman, but you cannot be serious about being payed for something that happened a long time ago.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2007, 07:21:23 PM »
A state legislator said black people "should get over" slavery

I absolutely agree with him. 

It ended 150 years ago for christ's sake...  get over it already!

That's really the only way we're going to be able to move forward as one society.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »
And you do? What a crock of shit about their crime rates not getting reported.  ::) I don't make too many assumptions based on reports and stats, rather I like to judge based on my observations. Believe me when I tell you that I've seen black americans commit crimes, act rude and bitch at a much higher rate than almost everyone put together. And you know what? Stats correspond to my observations.

You point to asian culture, asian attitude, precise reasons why asians are sucessful. Maybe black americans should work on their culture and attitude, instead of asking for free hand outs of money. I mean asking for money because of slavery is perhaps the most pathetic thing ever.

Jag, I respect you, you're a very intelligent woman, but you cannot be serious about being payed for something that happened a long time ago.

Now many Asians, especailly young men, don't like the nerdy stereotype, now "act out", and with the help of  "F&F" and  the "JDM" (Japanese Domes. Market) culture, it is a awy of givin' da finga to da man. Just look at all the Import magazines at the store. Notice the dudes and skippy costumed Asian women, truly trying to define a culture very unlike the "good Asian" stereotype,

Here in MD, the rate for Asian DUI's is high. And many crimes against each other in the communites (Korean) are not reported ( due to language and not trusting to police)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »
The GI bill has helped millions. I'm not paying 1 red cent for reparations but if they get them I'm suing the British government, because I'm half Irish and the damm Brits tried to murder "my" people in 1849. I'm also half Italian, I'll get back to u on who I'm planning to sue on that side.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2007, 12:41:27 AM »

CJ, First of all, I live among and work with Asians daily. My ex-boyfriend is a cop who works right in the heart of 22 division. For those that do not know, that is downtown Toronto's Chinatown district. I am well familiar with Asian crime.

2ndly, ...tell me where in this thread or any other I have made a claim or statement that I felt reparations were in order. in the past when it has been brought up, I have suggested that it is impossible. I know of one billionaire jewish family that made their fortune in the transatlantic slave trade. I won't mention their name because I know they are intensely private, but every year they donate billions of dollars to the UNCF in an attempt to atone for the sins of their fathers, and are doing everything they can to wipe the guilt out of their hearts and bloodstains off their fingers. They are well aware their cushy situation in life came about at the detriment to so many others. I have never made a case for reparations. I do think an apology is not out of order, but logistically, it is an unpayable debt. The best way to address it in my opinion is through proper education, and living up to the promise of the constitution, something that has never occurred.

That said, I think that a lawmaker saying "Black people should just get over slavery" indicates the guy has not got a clue. Just like Beachbum said, ...there has been an unbroken chain of slavery in America, and the legacy has been left with both black and white. Just because the physical shackles have been removed, doesn't mean the mental ones are not in place, ...and have not infact been re-inforced.

Black people are victimized by racism every day, and this racism they experience is a direct result and legacy of slavery. You cannot 'get over slavery' when it's effects are hitting you in the face everyday. There are those who 'WILL' rise above any challenge... by hook or by crook, but not everybody. Many will literally die trying. You cannot expect a people as a whole to accomplish this until the legacy it has left has been removed. Then you'll see some real progress. You can't just point to individuals who have 'made it' and say "why can't others make it? Get over it!" That's ridiculous. Especially when these people who have 'made it' are experiencing the same crap. Telling the mayor of NYC to "Just get over slavery" doesn't help him to catch a cab. He's fortunate however that he can afford private car services and limos wherever he needs to go, ...but what about the majority who cannot afford limo services to take them where they want to go. Many people work hard and own their own businesses. Businesses they were able to start because of a loan or line of credit. There are however those who cannot do this, cannot get those loans... not because they have bad credit, but because they live in a black neighbourhood, places they were forced to live in, because of discrimination against them because of their skin color. So now they live in a part of town that has been red-lined on the map. Areas within which bankers do not give loans. It's real easy for people who do not experience the same challenges to yell 'Just Get Over It!', but until you walk a mile in another wo/man's shoes, you have no clue. And as a lawmaker charged with representing his constituents, I think he oughta be somewhat, if not well versed in the complexities, and have a firm understanding of the root of the challenges they face, in order to come up with a viable and logistically implementable solution.

I've always been a believer in rising up to meet a challenge head on. I believe what doesn't kill you can make you stronger, and that we as individuals have the power to turn obstacles facing us into opportunities. But it's assinine to tell people to "just get over it". It's clear that fool has no clue about the challenges facing people. Reminds me of 11 yrs ago when Ontario's conservative finance minister Tsabouchi told welfare recipients to buy tuna in bulk when it goes on sale. This after cutting back welfare rates by 20%. Someone with a total budget of $30 left to pay their food bill, and phone bill, and toiletries isn't gonna have a whole lotta room to be buying in bulk. Clued out.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2007, 09:35:57 AM »
CJ, First of all, I live among and work with Asians daily. My ex-boyfriend is a cop who works right in the heart of 22 division. For those that do not know, that is downtown Toronto's Chinatown district. I am well familiar with Asian crime.

2ndly, ...tell me where in this thread or any other I have made a claim or statement that I felt reparations were in order. in the past when it has been brought up, I have suggested that it is impossible. I know of one billionaire jewish family that made their fortune in the transatlantic slave trade. I won't mention their name because I know they are intensely private, but every year they donate billions of dollars to the UNCF in an attempt to atone for the sins of their fathers, and are doing everything they can to wipe the guilt out of their hearts and bloodstains off their fingers. They are well aware their cushy situation in life came about at the detriment to so many others. I have never made a case for reparations. I do think an apology is not out of order, but logistically, it is an unpayable debt. The best way to address it in my opinion is through proper education, and living up to the promise of the constitution, something that has never occurred.

That said, I think that a lawmaker saying "Black people should just get over slavery" indicates the guy has not got a clue. Just like Beachbum said, ...there has been an unbroken chain of slavery in America, and the legacy has been left with both black and white. Just because the physical shackles have been removed, doesn't mean the mental ones are not in place, ...and have not infact been re-inforced.

Black people are victimized by racism every day, and this racism they experience is a direct result and legacy of slavery. You cannot 'get over slavery' when it's effects are hitting you in the face everyday. There are those who 'WILL' rise above any challenge... by hook or by crook, but not everybody. Many will literally die trying. You cannot expect a people as a whole to accomplish this until the legacy it has left has been removed. Then you'll see some real progress. You can't just point to individuals who have 'made it' and say "why can't others make it? Get over it!" That's ridiculous. Especially when these people who have 'made it' are experiencing the same crap. Telling the mayor of NYC to "Just get over slavery" doesn't help him to catch a cab. He's fortunate however that he can afford private car services and limos wherever he needs to go, ...but what about the majority who cannot afford limo services to take them where they want to go. Many people work hard and own their own businesses. Businesses they were able to start because of a loan or line of credit. There are however those who cannot do this, cannot get those loans... not because they have bad credit, but because they live in a black neighbourhood, places they were forced to live in, because of discrimination against them because of their skin color. So now they live in a part of town that has been red-lined on the map. Areas within which bankers do not give loans. It's real easy for people who do not experience the same challenges to yell 'Just Get Over It!', but until you walk a mile in another wo/man's shoes, you have no clue. And as a lawmaker charged with representing his constituents, I think he oughta be somewhat, if not well versed in the complexities, and have a firm understanding of the root of the challenges they face, in order to come up with a viable and logistically implementable solution.

I've always been a believer in rising up to meet a challenge head on. I believe what doesn't kill you can make you stronger, and that we as individuals have the power to turn obstacles facing us into opportunities. But it's assinine to tell people to "just get over it". It's clear that fool has no clue about the challenges facing people. Reminds me of 11 yrs ago when Ontario's conservative finance minister Tsabouchi told welfare recipients to buy tuna in bulk when it goes on sale. This after cutting back welfare rates by 20%. Someone with a total budget of $30 left to pay their food bill, and phone bill, and toiletries isn't gonna have a whole lotta room to be buying in bulk. Clued out.

Good points Jag.  I think anyone who believes blacks should just "get over" this whole race issue should simply read the comments about blacks on this board.  The doublespeak is amazing.  Racism is alive and well and many of the bigots frequent this board. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2007, 01:00:31 PM »
Sorry, Jag. I misunderstood you. I agree that black people, or any other people that have been discriminated against cannot simply get over it and forget about it. I was arguing against reparations, which I think are not nescessary because it wont solve anything. The best reparation we should give is increased spending on education in urban areas and overall urban development, and also end the worthless and pointless war on drugs in the United States.

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
Sorry, Jag. I misunderstood you. I agree that black people, or any other people that have been discriminated against cannot simply get over it and forget about it. I was arguing against reparations, which I think are not nescessary because it solve anything. The best reparation we should give is increased spending on education in urban areas and overall urban development, and also end the worthless and pointless war on drugs in the United States.

is increased spending on education in urban areas going to make black kids go to school? I dont think so. The only thing that is going to change this is that their culture is going to have to change. They are going to have to learn how to interact with the rest of society without trying to get something for free. They are going to have to get their minds off of trying to be "cool" or whatever they are doing and go to school. No ammount of money in the education system is going to get them to want to change the stereotype of the young black people in america only they can do that.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2007, 03:21:04 AM »
is increased spending on education in urban areas going to make black kids go to school? I dont think so. The only thing that is going to change this is that their culture is going to have to change. They are going to have to learn how to interact with the rest of society without trying to get something for free. They are going to have to get their minds off of trying to be "cool" or whatever they are doing and go to school. No ammount of money in the education system is going to get them to want to change the stereotype of the young black people in america only they can do that.

Quite true, but what happens in our culture is that one gets two polizing images. For instance, the show "Family Matters" it showed the smart guy Urkel, and the cool guy Eddie who was dumb, there was no in between. So that screams to african am males, if your smart your not cool, an if your stupid you're cool. I even was pressured in school from doing well in class, or raising my hand.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2007, 11:57:35 AM »
Quite true, but what happens in our culture is that one gets two polizing images. For instance, the show "Family Matters" it showed the smart guy Urkel, and the cool guy Eddie who was dumb, there was no in between. So that screams to african am males, if your smart your not cool, an if your stupid you're cool. I even was pressured in school from doing well in class, or raising my hand.

that is true. how do we as a society change that?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2007, 02:03:23 PM »

Some black americans have tried but they've been labled sellouts in turn, Bill Cosby being an example. Other influential black americans such as Oprah haven't even tried to speak out on the issues. 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2007, 02:21:57 PM »
That's when you turn to them and say, hey be nice because the thousands in taxes I will pay to the government will go to feed you and keep you warm in your cell.
Squishy face retard

OneBigMan

« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »
What black people need to do for their own good is that they should look at themselves and get over their pride of being black because they need to admit what to what looks too urban, so ghetto, and very gang related. The history of their hip hop and rap exposes that problem very easily.

As far as slavery goes, they should have already taken many lessons from that part of their history and wonder why so many males who have criminal blackness in them are stuck in the prison population. Realistically there are unfair reasons why black crime is more magnified under the microscope than crimes that definitely are caused by people in other communities.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2007, 03:38:57 PM »
Some black americans have tried but they've been labled sellouts in turn, Bill Cosby being an example. Other influential black americans such as Oprah haven't even tried to speak out on the issues. 

its like Chris Rock says "books are like kryptonite to niggas"   

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »

In new jersey, it was legislated to give the schools construction corp over 8 billion dollars to build schools, books, educate teachers, etc.

That money is gone, not even half of the projects were done.  The politicians are so corrupt, it is disgusting. 

I forget what character on "The Wire" stated....The most dangerous thing in white society is a black man with a library card.

Sandra

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2007, 07:24:05 PM »
In new jersey, it was legislated to give the schools construction corp over 8 billion dollars to build schools, books, educate teachers, etc.

That money is gone, not even half of the projects were done.  The politicians are so corrupt, it is disgusting. 

I forget what character on "The Wire" stated....The most dangerous thing in white society is a black man with a library card.

Sandra
You have Corsine, enough said.
Squishy face retard

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »
You have Corsine, enough said.

Actually, it is Corzine.  No, I don't love him otherwise I would be sleeping with him.

Previous corrupt govenors of New Jersery.
Mcgreevy( had that whole gay, nepolism thing going on)
Whitman(EPA czar under Bush41, no need to say more)
Kean(it's not my fault)
In my opinon,  republican/democrats they all suck.
Sandra

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2007, 08:15:51 PM »
Actually, it is Corzine.  No, I don't love him otherwise I would be sleeping with him.

Previous corrupt govenors of New Jersery.
Mcgreevy( had that whole gay, nepolism thing going on)
Whitman(EPA czar under Bush41, no need to say more)
Kean(it's not my fault)
In my opinon,  republican/democrats they all suck.
Sandra
Sorry my bad.  Anyway, yes you have shitty legislators.  Does NJ have many Repub in gov't these days?  Corzine fucked up the budget last summer if I remember correctly.  AC shut down for the first time.  BUmmer.
Squishy face retard

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2007, 08:29:57 PM »
Sorry my bad.  Anyway, yes you have shitty legislators.  Does NJ have many Repub in gov't these days?  Corzine fucked up the budget last summer if I remember correctly.  AC shut down for the first time.  BUmmer.

I am looking at the BIG picture.

Atlantic city.  How can you have a multibillion dollar casinos and homeless people sleeping outside your door?
The judicial/legislature system that we have  in place now is not working. 
It is all about pay to play from the local government all the way up to the federal government, The whole American voting process has to change.
If you aren't a multimillionaire or have contacts with wealthy backers, you are NOT getting into office, local, state or federal.
Then you have to pay back all of your supporters.

It is up to us, as the VOTERS to get out and VOTE!

That is the only thing that politicians realize is when their asses are on the line.

Politicians don't fuck with seniors because they vote
Politicians don't fuck with gays because the vote
People that earn 100k or more, they vote
The Jewish block?
Tobacco industry...Money to sponser a politicians campaign
Same thing with NRA
same thing with the Insurance industry
Same thing with the technology/cable
etc, etc, etc

But it all begins with us.

The peanut gallery who vote.

This last election made "THEM" realize that we are sick of their shit and we are not gullible sheep.

Listen, learn, vote.

Sandra