Author Topic: Black people 'should get over' slavery? Comment stuns lawmakers in Virginia  (Read 24422 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Black people 'should get over' slavery? Comment stuns lawmakers in Virginia
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
01/17/2007

RICHMOND, Va. — A state legislator said black people "should get over" slavery and questioned whether Jews should apologize "for killing Christ," drawing denunciations Tuesday from stunned colleagues.

Delegate Frank D. Hargrove, who is white and Christian, made his remarks in opposition to a measure that would apologize on the state's behalf to the descendants of slaves.

In an interview published Tuesday in The Daily Progress of Charlottesville, Hargrove, 79, said slavery ended nearly 140 years ago with the Civil War and added that "our black citizens should get over it."

The newspaper also quoted him as saying, "are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?" Advertisement

Black lawmakers swiftly denounced Hargrove's comments.

"When somebody tells me I should just get over slavery, I can only express my emotion by projecting that I am appalled, absolutely appalled," said Delegate Dwight C. Jones, head of the Legislative Black Caucus.

Delegate David L. Englin also criticized Hargrove's remarks, recalling that his grandparents were driven from their homes in Poland "by people who believed that as Jews, we killed Christ."

When Hargrove rose to speak, he told Englin he didn't care about Englin's religion. "I think your skin was a little too thin," Hargrove said as lawmakers gasped and groaned.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/nation/story/1D08FAF095356F648625726600148CDD?OpenDocument

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
I agree,  it was 100+ years ago.  How many generations is that?

We need to concentrate on what's happening NOW.   Not what happened 100+ years ago.

sandycoosworth

i like the idea of jews apologizing for jesus

ron?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

We need to concentrate on what's happening NOW.   Not what happened 100+ years ago.

I don't really have an opinion on the apology, but I see Jim Crow as an extension of slavery, and Jim Crow ended in the 1960s (at least on paper).  That was one generation ago. 

My daughter and I were watching a documentary on the history of the Klan the other day and she was shocked at how recent a lot of this stuff was.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
he didn't word it well.

Perhaps, "no race, religion, creed, or other group should use any events of the past to excuse any actions of the present".

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
He's right.

youandme

• Getbig V
he didn't word it well.

Perhaps, "no race, religion, creed, or other group should use any events of the past to excuse any actions of the present".

That would have been alot better, and actually would have benefited

He is right on this issue

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
i have also heard talk of some people in the black community wanting reparations for slavery. 
don't know if that was ever taken seriously. 

good for mr. hargrove.  i await jesse's response     ::)
W

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Everywhere you look, there are always twenty million people praying someone in power will say something to offend them so they can sue, bitch, complain, or whine on the news.  People of every race, group, etc.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
i have also heard talk of some people in the black community wanting reparations for slavery. 
don't know if that was ever taken seriously. 

good for mr. hargrove.  i await jesse's response     ::)

Reparations are a different issue.  I don't think they work for at least a couple reasons:  (1) they use the wrong reference point - slavery instead of Jim Crow (with slavery being too remote in time), and (2) there has been so much intermarriage and we have so many immigrants that I doubt you could identify pure blood African slave descendents.  For example, Obama is half white and I think both his parents were immigrants.  There are many others like him.   

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
hahaha i love it, some old guy speaking the truth and not giving a damn about what people think about it.
hes 100% corect.
if you were ever a slave, raise your hand and by all means you'll be repaid. if not, then shut the fuck up ::)

Stark

• Getbig V
One of the worst things ever to happen to human kind was the day somebody crafted up the word "Political Correct"  >:(

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
bez is itching to del this thread..
carpe` vaginum!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
bez is itching to del this thread..
::) why idiot, why would I care to delete this thread... I'm in this for the political debate, not to clockwerk the board into agreeing with me ::) Real nice of you to just make shit up in an attempt to paint me as a nazi mod.  Now beat it paki.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV

It is easy for those who don't walk in my shoes to say this.

a black man being tied up and dragged behind a pick up truck
a black man being shot 41 times for reaching for his wallet.
a black man being shot coming from his bachelor party on the day of his wedding.
a performer on stage calling hecklers black oprah winfrey was denied entry to an exclusive store in NYC because one saw a black face.
Former mayor on NYC not being able to hail down a cab because of his skin color.
It is not us as a black race who need to get over it.
It is about people who see our color first and ask questions later to get over it.

Sandra

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

a black man being shot coming from his bachelor party on the day of his wedding.
a performer on stage calling hecklers Black oprah winfrey was denied entry to an exclusive store in NYC because one saw a black face.
Former mayor on NYC not being able to hail down a cab because of his skin color.
It is about people who see our color first and ask questions later to get over it.

Sandra

BRAVO Sandra! Very well said!
That man is clearly out of touch with reality, ...and clearly ill-equipped to represent his constituents.
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!

by black cops no?

guys..guys..listen..most of the stuff you read on here is anti AMERICAN  black...

i doubt most feel the same about blacks universally..

i dislike american blacks for the most part..

the rest of the black world r just normal folks..hell brian lara is my hero and he is west indian..

American blacks gotta have done something to peeve so many off..including myself..

right?
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
::) why idiot, why would I care to delete this thread... I'm in this for the political debate, not to clockwerk the board into agreeing with me ::) Real nice of you to just make shit up in an attempt to paint me as a nazi mod.  Now beat it paki.

shut yo mouth noob..

carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2183987220152229508&q=brian+lara

meet Brian Lara folks..i met the man in karachi once....he has attained god status in my mind!  8)

you will NEVER see such classic text book style batting...poetry in motion!
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
by black cops no?

No.  That's Amadou Diallo.  Murdered by the NYPD right outside his home.  Tragic case.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadou_Diallo

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
No.  That's Amadou Diallo.  Murdered by the NYPD right outside his home.  Tragic case.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadou_Diallo

oopsie...

but still..

i could tell a 100 stories here..but i'm too lazy 2 type..
carpe` vaginum!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
they definately need to get over it. Every time you turn around some Jesse Jackson is crying about some "harm" done to the black race. Fuck em!!!
How many times do you read stories in the paper about black on white crime? Constantly, but how often are they chareged with a hate crime? Rarely. Fuck em. quit crying about it and make a change to fit in with the rest of society and stop looking for the pity handout. bitches. >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination

a performer on stage calling hecklers Black oprah winfrey was denied entry to an exclusive store in NYC because one saw a black face.

Sandra

Oh stop crying already! People of other colors deal with the same shit. Black people use the race card to be rude, disrespectful and to push their agendas. They're also openly racist towards other and they get away with it by playing the race card.

Easy to say shit when you're not on one end of something, but I bed to differ because I've seen the bullshit up close and I'm fucking sick of it.

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
they definately need to get over it. Every time you turn around some Jesse Jackson is crying about some "harm" done to the black race. f**k em!!!
How many times do you read stories in the paper about black on white crime? Constantly, but how often are they chareged with a hate crime? Rarely. f**k em. quit crying about it and make a change to fit in with the rest of society and stop looking for the pity handout. bitches. >:(

Black on white crime cannot be seen as a hate crime. But white on black can. Any violent crime commitded by a minority on a white person cannot be charged as a hate crime. That is bullshit.I cant find the story but there was a murder in chicago a few years back of a singer of a white power band that was brutally killed (walking down the street) by a spic who was not even an americian citizen.
 here is an article I was able to find, along the same lines of the other

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4207/is_19950228/ai_n10187017

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
shut yo mouth noob..

You're going to have to do way better than that ;)  Even if I were a nood, I'd happily take that over being clueless... sucks to be you, you're the only person who doesn't know what happened yesterday ;D