Author Topic: Black people 'should get over' slavery? Comment stuns lawmakers in Virginia  (Read 24417 times)

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
First of all, that AP article was very unfair to this delegate. He did not "question whether 'jews should apologize for killing jesus'", he said (to paraphrase) once you go down this lane where does it stop. What about the immigrants who came over here as indentured servants and were kept slaves beyond their term?  

If anybody should be getting reperations, what about the 100s of thousands of soldiers who died battling the confederacy, thus enabling blacks to gain their freedom (nominally at least)?

Sandra, of course there are still rascist people out there (although much of what you listed were not acts of rascism at all). However, you realize that there are far more black murders against white people then the other way around.  I believe the number was something like 9 to 1 but i would have to check. Get over yourselves, blacks are not the only ethnic group discriminated against.

Why should Virginia apologize for anything?  I live in virginia and my ancestors all came over to the US in the 1910-20s, and only relatively recently moved around these parts.  Why should my state apologize for something that ended over 100 years ago? IT wasn't my state, it was people living in my state.  Why don't these lawmakers demand apologies from Portuguese slave traders, their african kinsmen who often sold them to the slave traders, etc?  

Maybe I wouldn't be so sick of these charades if I didn't see many blacks (and other races) in my area who get food stamps and other support from the government, all the while making no effort to better themselves other than scheming on others?  Surely my grandfather, who came over from Galway in 1929 as a semi-illiterate 16 year old had a much harder path to success in front of him than most people in this state.  In fact, the more I think about it I should be demanding an apology from England, for its vicious occupation of Ireland, as well as the US, for its discrimination against my Irish forefathers. What a crock of shit.

I am all for reperations upon the stipulation that those who collect a check must use it to move back to their ancestral land in Africa, what country or countries it may be. Actually, pick any one you like.  I would love to see what percentage of blacks took up that offer, and than hear them complain and try to get more handouts because of "white guilt".
Valhalla awaits.

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
First of all, that AP article was very unfair to this delegate. He did not "question whether 'jews should apologize for killing jesus'", he said (to paraphrase) once you go down this lane where does it stop. What about the immigrants who came over here as indentured servants and were kept slaves beyond their term?  

If anybody should be getting reperations, what about the 100s of thousands of soldiers who died battling the confederacy, thus enabling blacks to gain their freedom (nominally at least)?

Sandra, of course there are still rascist people out there (although much of what you listed were not acts of rascism at all). However, you realize that there are far more black murders against white people then the other way around.  I believe the number was something like 9 to 1 but i would have to check. Get over yourselves, blacks are not the only ethnic group discriminated against.

Why should Virginia apologize for anything?  I live in virginia and my ancestors all came over to the US in the 1910-20s, and only relatively recently moved around these parts.  Why should my state apologize for something that ended over 100 years ago? IT wasn't my state, it was people living in my state.  Why don't these lawmakers demand apologies from Portuguese slave traders, their african kinsmen who often sold them to the slave traders, etc?  

Maybe I wouldn't be so sick of these charades if I didn't see many blacks (and other races) in my area who get food stamps and other support from the government, all the while making no effort to better themselves other than scheming on others?  Surely my grandfather, who came over from Galway in 1929 as a semi-illiterate 16 year old had a much harder path to success in front of him than most people in this state.  In fact, the more I think about it I should be demanding an apology from England, for its vicious occupation of Ireland, as well as the US, for its discrimination against my Irish forefathers. What a crock of shit.

I am all for reperations upon the stipulation that those who collect a check must use it to move back to their ancestral land in Africa, what country or countries it may be. Actually, pick any one you like.  I would love to see what percentage of blacks took up that offer, and than hear them complain and try to get more handouts because of "white guilt".

great post esp the last paragraph.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV

The basis of this thread is black people and slavery.
I never stated that other races don't suffer also.

Many blacks have bettered themselves, that isn't the point.   For all races, you know discrimination when you see it and hear it.
It is those that continually perpetrate the discriminations need to educate themselves.
There are more whites on public assistance than blacks.

I agree with you on the reparations issue.
Sandra

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
THere is certainly still some discrimination these days, in one form or another. However, an official state apology would accomplish nothing and could even hurt things.
Valhalla awaits.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
It is easy for those who don't walk in my shoes to say this.

a black man being tied up and dragged behind a pick up truck
a black man being shot 41 times for reaching for his wallet.
a black man being shot coming from his bachelor party on the day of his wedding.
a performer on stage calling hecklers Black oprah winfrey was denied entry to an exclusive store in NYC because one saw a black face.
Former mayor on NYC not being able to hail down a cab because of his skin color.
It is not us as a black race who need to get over it.
It is about people who see our color first and ask questions later to get over it.

Sandra

And that's what I'm Talking about!

We need to concentrate on what's happening NOW.   Not what happened 100+ years ago.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV

Why should Virginia apologize for anything?  I live in virginia and my ancestors all came over to the US in the 1910-20s, and only relatively recently moved around these parts.  Why should my state apologize for something that ended over 100 years ago? IT wasn't my state, it was people living in my state.  Why don't these lawmakers demand apologies from Portuguese slave traders, their african kinsmen who often sold them to the slave traders, etc? 

Virgina should apologize because it was confederate state bent on keeping its slave trade.
I would think there are 11 states that are responsible directly and many others that were serving the slave trade indirectly that should be looking into a formal apology and reparations.

The same thing should be performed for Native Americans in the Black Hills region of South Dakota and other states where the government stole their treaty land.
Z

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

PLEEEEEEEEEASE show me a stat to back that up

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Virgina should apologize because it was confederate state bent on keeping its slave trade.
I would think there are 11 states that are responsible directly and many others that were serving the slave trade indirectly that should be looking into a formal apology and reparations.

Jesus you're on big fucktard. How dare you say they should be reparamend? Fuck is wrong with you? From whos fucking pocket would that money come out of? I'd fucking take up arms if my tax dollars were ever used to pay someone FOR SOMETHING I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH.

BY your logic I should be reparemend for black robbery of my uncle's gas station and blacks eating off of government transfer payments.

Blacks need to stop whining and follow the example set my model minorities, such as Asians.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
Jesus you're on big fucktard. How dare you say they should be reparamend? f**k is wrong with you? From whos fucking pocket would that money come out of? I'd fucking take up arms if my tax dollars were ever used to pay someone FOR SOMETHING I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH.

BY your logic I should be reparemend for black robbery of my uncle's gas station and blacks eating off of government transfer payments.

Blacks need to stop whining and follow the example set my model minorities, such as Asians.
Facts are facts. Slavery happened and Virginia was among the states responsible.
Also America screwed some of these former slaves twice. Once with slavery and again when the government took the land back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_acres_and_a_mule

The former slaves and offspring are still entitled to compensation.
Z

Diesel1

• Getbig V
He's right. Infact they should be thankful really! I mean given the choice, where would they rather have been born? Africa or America?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
hahahaha  ::)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
Facts are facts. Slavery happened and Virginia was among the states responsible.
Also America screwed some of these former slaves twice. Once with slavery and again when the government took the land back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_acres_and_a_mule

The former slaves and offspring are still entitled to compensation.

Why don't you send them they're checks?

I don't give a shit what happened in the past, so neither I or any other american should have to pay shit to anyone.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
Why don't you send them they're checks?

I don't give a shit what happened in the past, so neither I or any other american should have to pay shit to anyone.
Reparations will happen and your family as well as all other Americans will pay for it, as well as business that were complicit throughout the slave trade.

BTW, You care about the past, you are ranting about Israel and Palestine all of the time.

Palestine got screwed over in the past, I guess it is time to move on.
Z

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
hahaha i love it, some old guy speaking the truth and not giving a damn about what people think about it.
hes 100% corect.

He's an idiot.

So you two have something in common.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
He's right. Infact they should be thankful really! I mean given the choice, where would they rather have been born? Africa or America?

Diesel1 no disrespect dude you know me but i have to disagree.

The thing is this...seriously
Think to yourself...what made America the super power it is now... Production with no overhead...We were able to export expensive goods w/o capital. So everything is 100% profit. Can you dig it?

If i owned an IT computer service but all my employees worked for free and i still got lots of business i would have the largest growth period in the history of business because all of my rev would be profit and could be used to expand.

That being said the slaves (free labor capital) were a huge resource (actually the number 1) towards the growth of America.

And for the state of Africa...

Ever heard of the Berlin Conference or the Scramble for Africa? It is where Neo Imperialism began with the Invasion and colonization of Africa. Why africa...Extremely rich in valuable natural resources. So we are talking about absentee landlords here. Slum lords...you know, people that own an appartment building but do nothing but collect the rent. Dont really make the conditions for its tenants any better. They just run the building into the ground until the resources (money) dry up and they move to the next one.

To me that is an explaination to the state africa that we all know. BEcause what other factors can you attribute to it..."Oh they are just dumb blacks" ...dude come onethat has been disproved many times...

This is how it is, there is an explanination for everything and nothing just is. Find the explaination and then find a solution. Or atleast get a better understanding of the current situation.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
i agree about the asians, asian americans aretypically model citizens...they quietly go about their business and get stuff done, they succeed, they are respectful, dont whine all the time, dont expect reparations for the chinese labor that built up california, and most importantly DONT CAUSE CRIME/PROBLEMS/SOCIAL CANCERS SUCH AS THE HIP-HOP'THUG' CULTURE.

asian americans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>black americans

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
Reparations will happen and your family as well as all other Americans will pay for it, as well as business that were complicit throughout the slave trade.
Shut The Fuck Up

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
HIP-HOP'THUG' CULTURE.

FYI, kid - that was created by Whites and Jews.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
The thing is this...seriously
Think to yourself...what made America the super power it is now... Production with no overhead...We were able to export expensive goods w/o capital. So everything is 100% profit. Can you dig it?

100% correct.

But that's not taught in American schools, which is why so many Americans are ignorant of true reality. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
so...ummmm like no one has the intellectual capacity to refute my proposed to my explanations....240, maybe camel jockey....someone.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
100% correct.

But that's not taught in American schools, which is why so many Americans are ignorant of true reality. 

Crickets...........

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Crickets...........

lol.   ;D  Big mal I cannot argue with the fact that much of our industry in the 19th century was built on the backs of slaves.  And there is no question American slavery was evil.  What I don't think we can do is connect slavery with reparations (even though that wasn't really the topic of this thread, but it has morphed).  I think Jim Crow is a better reference point than slavery, because we are one generation removed from segregation, but even then it is too problematic given the dilution of the races in this country. 

Re the apology, after reflecting on this, I don't really see the big deal.  Clinton apologized for slavery.  The country survived.  If Virginia wants to do it, so what?  Now, putting your hand in my pocket is another story.   :)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
i can dig it beach bum...I damn sure dont think we need reparations...seriously speaking....giving a bunch of niggas (as opposed to black people)  money is not going to help the country at all. depending on the amount i dont see it really benefitting our country. I typed the post up there to explain why the "we should be glad to be in america" is a crock of shit. And i also agree that jim crow is a better reference point but actually i would have rather given the rep's in that generation.

lol.   ;D  Big mal I cannot argue with the fact that much of our industry in the 19th century was built on the backs of slaves.  And there is no question American slavery was evil.  What I don't think we can do is connect slavery with reparations (even though that wasn't really the topic of this thread, but it has morphed).  I think Jim Crow is a better reference point than slavery, because we are one generation removed from segregation, but even then it is too problematic given the dilution of the races in this country. 

Re the apology, after reflecting on this, I don't really see the big deal.  Clinton apologized for slavery.  The country survived.  If Virginia wants to do it, so what?  Now, putting your hand in my pocket is another story.   :)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
Crickets...........

ill deflate you and tre's little delusional idea that 'america is great now because of black slaves' hahahahaha
yes the south obviously benefitted from free labor but their economy was based on cotton export and could only continue for so long. not a good foundation to build a superpower on.
the vast majority of america's economic might came from the industries of the north which basically ran on exploited WHITE labor. not technically slaves because they were 'paid' but virtually slave labor in every other sense.
the reason the north wanted to contain slavery and keep it in the states it was already in is because they wanted to keep the western half of the continent open to WHITE labor, so they could have jobs that wouldnt be done for free by black slaves.
yes the poor black slaves did get screwed and did contribute to america's success, but not even close to how much was contributed by the exploited white labor in the northern industries.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
ill deflate you and tre's little delusional idea that 'america is great now because of black slaves' hahahahaha
yes the south obviously benefitted from free labor but their economy was based on cotton export and could only continue for so long. not a good foundation to build a superpower on.
the vast majority of america's economic might came from the industries of the north which basically ran on exploited WHITE labor. not technically slaves because they were 'paid' but virtually slave labor in every other sense.
the reason the north wanted to contain slavery and keep it in the states it was already in is because they wanted to keep the western half of the continent open to WHITE labor, so they could have jobs that wouldnt be done for free by black slaves.
yes the poor black slaves did get screwed and did contribute to america's success, but not even close to how much was contributed by the exploited white labor in the northern industries.

Shittin me right.....Industrial boom...Circa 1840. The US was already making making huge land deals with France before then....(see louisiana Purchase). you retarted f**k...The backbone of america was Free capital provided by slaves... The US was a superpower by 1803...now you tell me what Industrial Phenom happend prior to then...NONE. The US was an AGRI nation before the industrial Revolution. Agri that is worked by whom.  sort of like california is now (californias major export is agri and california is the 5th largest economy in the world.)
Deflate that

Dude i do this.