Author Topic: question for onlyme - lifting big  (Read 3422 times)

romeo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
question for onlyme - lifting big
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »
I was wondering if you could go through a way of training to be lifting big. Not a whole routine but just a basic idea, fro example should I stick to once a week for bench, or should I go every day if i  can as I know some big lifters do actually bench 5 days a week.

Just in terms of lifting big what would you recomend?

oh - and im a natural.

Thanks

(would have put this in the training section but wasnt sure if only me checks it)

romeo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: question for onlyme - lifting big
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 05:04:31 PM »
feel free to answer anyone else, genuine big lifters only, too many flex readers on here

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
i don't know any big time lifters who bench more than 2 or 3 times a week, and if it's three then they aren't the heaviest workouts.

basic template: train a lift on each day, and have every lift you do after the main lift is intended to train the given exercise. do heavy triples on the main lift, sets of 5 on the compound assistance lifts, 8-12 on the more isolation stuff, but keep that limited. here was today's top end bench workout for me.

close-grip bench (index fingers in on the smooth): work up to a triple - five total sets
shirt bench (index fingers on the rings): a few singles to get the feel for it - three total sets
board presses (pinkies on the rings): work up to five rep max - four total sets
push presses (pinkies on the rings): work up to a set of six - three total sets
close-grip incline (hands inside shoulder width): work up to a set of six - four total sets
DB curls: just a few sets of 8-10

i have another bench workout on wednesdays where the exercises are geared toward the bottom half of the bench, squatting on thursdays and deadlifting on mondays, all with a similar structure.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 05:43:23 PM »
Only me lifts big rocks in hawaii the call that "ho e ana la"
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »
i don't know any big time lifters who bench more than 2 or 3 times a week, and if it's three then they aren't the heaviest workouts.

basic template: train a lift on each day, and have every lift you do after the main lift is intended to train the given exercise. do heavy triples on the main lift, sets of 5 on the compound assistance lifts, 8-12 on the more isolation stuff, but keep that limited. here was today's top end bench workout for me.

close-grip bench (index fingers in on the smooth): work up to a triple - five total sets
shirt bench (index fingers on the rings): a few singles to get the feel for it - three total sets
board presses (pinkies on the rings): work up to five rep max - four total sets
push presses (pinkies on the rings): work up to a set of six - three total sets
close-grip incline (hands inside shoulder width): work up to a set of six - four total sets
DB curls: just a few sets of 8-10

i have another bench workout on wednesdays where the exercises are geared toward the bottom half of the bench, squatting on thursdays and deadlifting on mondays, all with a similar structure.

I did chest as many as 3 times per week.  Mondays were a heavy day, Wednesdays were a semi heavy day with Friday being a rep and light day.  I did heavy on Mondays cause it gave me a two day rest.  

Chest (heavy)

Warmup set (doesn't count) 315 for 8 to 10
2nd set 405 for 6 to 8
3rd set 405 for 6
4th set 455 for 6
5th set 495 for 4 to 6
6th set 520 for 4

Flyes with 50's or 60's
Pec Dec (bottom weight)
Cable flyes
Dips

The above is pretty close to what I used to do.  It changed sometimes.  I liked changing because it made it less boring doing the same thing all the time.  The wieght changed depending on what I was doing but the above weights are what I would do usually on Mondays.  There were some days where Ray (Mentzer) had me doing a version of the Russian Strength workout.  Only did this a couple times a month.

I did incline as a warmup for Shoulders on Thursdays.  I still do that.  I don't like to work incline on same day as flats.  I do sometimes but I don't like it.  I am generally wore out after my chest so the weight I use on the incline is less.  

I trained Chest and Tri's usually on Mondays.  Then Back and Bi's on Tuesdays.  Chest and Tri's again on Wednesday's. Shoulders, little lower Back and very little legs on Thursday.  Chest and Tri's on Fridays.  I always worked heavy tri's.  I like working the tri's with heavy weight.  I only worked bi's once maybe sometimes twice a week.  I did calves almost everyday and forearms.  I think that is about it.  It has been a long time since I was able to train like this.  And back then I didn't rest allot between sets.  Some things changed just because sometimes I didn't feel like doing something.  I just made sure I rested at least 48 hours between body parts.

I really didn't diet much.  I was younger so I could eat anything.  I didn't even use supplements that much.  Eating was better and tasted much better.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
Keith, we talked on the phone about Ray Mentzer. You mentioned that Ray beat you in squats but you usually beat him in everything else, much to his displeasure. As you know, Ray was a very strong human being. If you beat him that made you a virtual superman. He told me he did 2 reps in the squat with 925 pounds.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 08:20:14 PM »
Keith, we talked on the phone about Ray Mentzer. You mentioned that Ray beat you in squats but you usually beat him in everything else, much to his displeasure. As you know, Ray was a very strong human being. If you beat him that made you a virtual superman. He told me he did 2 reps in the squat with 925 pounds.

Yes he told me alos about the squat weight.  He liked comepted with me in strength but when I passed he would get a little pissed then it turned into being proud.  I especially remember him challenging me to squat after I did 315 barbell curls.  He was never a super sood bencher.  He had good shoulder strngth.  But it was his legs that were unreal.  At the time he had the biggest thighs I had ever seen.  And he was weighing about 290 then.  I think I only seen him squat once.  He generally trained in the morning.  He would do 495 like it was nothing.  Platz is the only guy I saw do it easier.  But Ray would go all the ay down for 10 easy.

romeo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 08:09:42 PM »
hey only - how did franco used to train, and was this similar to the rest of the guys?

I know franco used to used more heavy weight.

which throws the whole poerlifting can build size theory out the window...(~?)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 08:26:35 PM »
hey only - how did franco used to train, and was this similar to the rest of the guys?

I know franco used to used more heavy weight.

which throws the whole poerlifting can build size theory out the window...(~?)

I don't think I ever saw Franco do legs.  He wasn't there that much when I was there. I do remember him dong bent over rows with 405 with no shirt on and it was awesome. His lats just spread out like giant wings.  He worked outside a few times I saw him.  But for his height and weight he lifted very heavy I thought.

romeo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »
do you advocate the heavier weights stuff , or the volume with lighter stuff for sheer size?
personally, because i know he used to go very heavy for someone of his size especially.

A friend of min said he used to see bertil fox in the gym here in london, said he had never seen someone so strong, although he criticised his form ( ::)) said it was very sloppy. did u ever train with him?

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »
You look good in this shot Keith, when was it taken? :-[

romeo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »
get a life  lol

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »
 ;D :o ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 09:04:32 PM »
do you advocate the heavier weights stuff , or the volume with lighter stuff for sheer size?
personally, because i know he used to go very heavy for someone of his size especially.

A friend of min said he used to see bertil fox in the gym here in london, said he had never seen someone so strong, although he criticised his form ( ::)) said it was very sloppy. did u ever train with him?

Didn't really train with Bertil but saw him in the gym and he was very STRONG.  And all I have ever done is lift heavy since day one.  I will do high reps with lower on the last set of some things but I like heavy weight. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 09:06:31 PM »
You look good in this shot Keith, when was it taken? :-[

You and everyone else knows by now thats not me.  But this fat pig who actually charged a promoter to guest pose looking like this IS you.  When was this taken. 

Mark1

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 09:13:17 PM »
They should change Onlymes status to expert.

Keith, how was your form on the lifts? Always strict or a bit loose to move the heavy iron?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 09:22:18 PM »
You and everyone else knows by now thats not me.  But this fat pig who actually charged a promoter to guest pose looking like this IS you.  When was this taken. 
AAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH nice bald spot!!!!lmao ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 10:55:01 PM »
They should change Onlymes status to expert.

Keith, how was your form on the lifts? Always strict or a bit loose to move the heavy iron?

ALWAYS strict.  I do full ROM.  I hate people who don't all the up or down.  I especially go all the way down.  I sometimes may come up an inch or so short just because of my elbow.  But I actually rest the bar at the bottom for at least a second and sometimes as much as 10.  I used to get people all the time come over and grab the bar cause they think I was stuck.  Then I would lift it easy.  I never really did so much weight where I actually strained allot.  At times I would go balls out and lft so heavy that it was so hard, but I didn't like having a spotter anywhere near me.  It would always pysche me out.  So even though I may be able tot do one more with help I would stop.  Thats just me.  I used heavy weigth all the time.  But I liked it that I did full reps and hated people who did half or quarter reps.

And no, I should not be given expert status.  I am not an expert.  I don't know half of what these others know.  I didn't study or go to school for this.  I just lifted.  Hell until I came on here I had never heard the term Hangcleans and have been doing them since 1980 or so.  I just say what I have and seen but am far from someone who knows allot.  I ate, lifted heavy and got strong.  Thats about it.  For six months I took 1cc a day of Test Cyp, 200 mg. and thats all I really know about roids.  I sold a ton of them to guys because i was stupid enough to go to Tijuana while no one else would.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 12:08:14 AM »
Hit every body part hard twice per day.  6 days on, 1 day off.  The workout should take about 3 hours.  Do the same exact thing for the whole week.  Take in no more than 70g of protein per day, too much and you're taxing your kidneys.  Have 3 8oz. glasses of water per day.  Bread only for carbs.
Let  me know how it goes.
N

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 04:17:50 AM »
Hit every body part hard twice per day.  6 days on, 1 day off.  The workout should take about 3 hours.  Do the same exact thing for the whole week.  Take in no more than 70g of protein per day, too much and you're taxing your kidneys.  Have 3 8oz. glasses of water per day.  Bread only for carbs.
Let  me know how it goes.

A new routine for Flex magazine. Let's hope this toughnut is being facetious.

Hit every body part once per week, run a three day split. Your workout should take no more than 30 minutes. 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight for protein. Take in as much water as you possibly can, no limit. Protein/Carbs/Fat = 40%/40%/20%, sculpt your diet around those numbers.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 04:23:21 AM »
He told me he did 2 reps in the squat with 925 pounds.

Sure he did.  ::)

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 05:20:48 AM »
So basically what you are saying here Keith is that you took 1400mg of Testosteron Cypionate a week for 6 months and got really stong on it?.. :-\
?

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 05:48:52 AM »

this was taken after sasha gave him a special "protein" blend. Just look at the smile on his face
Here comes the money shot

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 09:06:21 AM »
this was taken after sasha gave him a special "protein" blend. Just look at the smile on his face

Wow, is he EVER going to live that one down?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 01:20:48 PM »
From what I recall, you were the one who started the feud with Shawn on here?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

No I think Sean started it by saying something derogatory about my show after I gave him some advice.  But he is ALWAYS the guy to bring it back up.  So I have no problem playing.  Since basically all he can come up with is pics of someone else who is fat.  I have no problem saying I am fat now.  But he seems to ignore the fact that he was fat and actually charged people to pose in front of them fat.  And of course all the other shit about him that everyone knows.

So basically what you are saying here Keith is that you took 1400mg of Testosteron Cypionate a week for 6 months and got really stong on it?.. :-\

DOn't know what it adds up too but thats what I took.  Even Ray thought it was so much.  Someone who used to write for Flex or M&F was doing a series of articles on the use of Test and its effects.  His name was Dave Prokop(?).  Ray had me talk to him on the phone about how much I used and he asked me any side effects and all I said was it made me strong.  He was wondering about roid rage and I said no. It didn't do anything to me.  I never saw if my interview made it or not.