Author Topic: Are rights being infringed upon  (Read 15928 times)

newmom

Re: Are rights being infringed upon
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2007, 09:19:51 PM »
I quit twice. Once about 4 years ago, and quit while I was pregnant and stayed smoke free while breast freeding. It's a nasty habit and I need to stop. Just hiding from one kid (she is my only one)

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2007, 09:21:05 PM »
yes,, that parent should be in jail.. doesnt mean that person cant smoke,which is where this is leading.. besides- i cant talk for anyone else,, but here in ny if i go to my Sargent and say "hey look boss, i pulled over 2 people for smoking in their car, and 5 people for talking on their cell phones, and 3 people for not wearing their seat belts".. he would smack me in the face and tell me to do some real work.. point is even if this law gets passed its not one of these enforced ones- just one to make us aware..

i agree...my position is let an adult do just about anything to themselves as long as its not directly hurting anyone else(health wise)...Kids just have no voice in the world...I think they should.

Someone wants to blow lines all night...More power to them...They want to drink a case a beers...What do i care...Its their body...Even if they want to do this all in front of their kid in their house...Ok by me..As long as they are not feeding their kids this stuff...

Ozzy

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2007, 09:22:46 PM »
..But I didn't say OTHER PEOPLE, I was talking about myself.

In fact, I can and have quit smoking a couple of times cold turkey. For basic training and AIT, and again when I hit Kuwait the first time. What you quoted was my opinion on why I smoke. I know it's hard for other people, it's just easy for me.

=/

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »
but here in ny if i go to my Sargent and say "hey look boss, i pulled over 2 people for smoking in their car, and 5 people for talking on their cell phones, and 3 people for not wearing their seat belts".. he would smack me in the face and tell me to do some real work.. point is even if this law gets passed its not one of these enforced ones- just one to make us aware..

Maybe most cops wouldn't bother, but you know there's always some Dudley Doright cop who will bust people for it just because he can.  Not to mention bored cops in upscale suburbs where there's little crime.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2007, 09:25:56 PM »
..But I didn't say OTHER PEOPLE, I was talking about myself.

In fact, I can and have quit smoking a couple of times cold turkey. For basic training and AIT, and again when I hit Kuwait the first time. What you quoted was my opinion on why I smoke. I know it's hard for other people, it's just easy for me.

=/

gotcha :)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2007, 09:38:11 PM »
Second hand smoke kills , parents who smoke in the car are endangering their children , its sad the Government has to tell people how to parent

I don't disagree with you - it shouldn't be legal for parents to poison their kids.

But shouldn't we extend that to nutrition as well? 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2007, 09:43:26 PM »
I don't disagree with you - it shouldn't be legal for parents to poison their kids.

But shouldn't we extend that to nutrition as well? 

Absolutely not, because foods are not inherently "good" or "bad", but rather it's a question of amounts and variety. 

Tobacco, on the other hand, is unsafe in any amount and has no useful purpose.

Ozzy

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2007, 09:45:39 PM »
From: http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton/other/nicotine.htm

Researchers have long been aware that fewer smokers get Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases than non-smokers. Up to April l992, of the 17 studies on Alzheimer's and smoking which had been published in peer-reviewed journals, 13 reported a reduced risk for smokers and only four found no difference between smokers and non-smokers. Similar findings have been published on the effect of smoking and Parkinson's disease.
In an article in The Times of London (9/7/93), Dr. James Le Fanu provided an examination of the research on smoking and its apparent protective effect for certain diseases. Dr. Le Fanu stated unequivocally: "Smokers have a 50 per cent reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's--and the more smoked the greater the protection." He also noted that emerging research points to a similar effect of smoking on Parkinson's disease.

So striking was the apparent protective effect of smoking on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's that increasingly biomedical researchers are experimenting with nicotine to treat the symptoms of these dread disease in-patients who have been diagnosed as having them. Results from these experiments have all showed promise in alleviating the symptoms of these diseases with the administration of nicotine.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2007, 10:01:54 PM »
From: http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton/other/nicotine.htm

Researchers have long been aware that fewer smokers get Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases than non-smokers. Up to April l992, of the 17 studies on Alzheimer's and smoking which had been published in peer-reviewed journals, 13 reported a reduced risk for smokers and only four found no difference between smokers and non-smokers. Similar findings have been published on the effect of smoking and Parkinson's disease.
In an article in The Times of London (9/7/93), Dr. James Le Fanu provided an examination of the research on smoking and its apparent protective effect for certain diseases. Dr. Le Fanu stated unequivocally: "Smokers have a 50 per cent reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's--and the more smoked the greater the protection." He also noted that emerging research points to a similar effect of smoking on Parkinson's disease.

So striking was the apparent protective effect of smoking on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's that increasingly biomedical researchers are experimenting with nicotine to treat the symptoms of these dread disease in-patients who have been diagnosed as having them. Results from these experiments have all showed promise in alleviating the symptoms of these diseases with the administration of nicotine.

A dozen other substances, from Green Tea to blueberries have been shown to do the same thing.  But if your heart is really set on using nicotine to prevent Alzheimers, there are 4 or 5 different ways to administer it that don't involve fuccking up my air with your smoke (not to mention fuccking up your own lungs).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2007, 09:47:53 AM »
I heard a story about a town in bangor, Maine and new jersey also trying..

Now everyone keep an open mind (I know I will get trashed for it)

Smoking in cars with children present. Now, I don't believe a parent should smoke in a car or in the house with children present but that is the parents choice. I really feel strongly, the gov't is infringing on our constitutional rights. Anyone that does smoke in front of children (i.e. in the car with them in it is just a dumbass). Yes I do smoke and no not around jacks. I wont let her see me doing it. What can I say..IM an NRA member and believe the right to bear arms..

Is this really a constitutional issue?  What part of the constitution allows a person to smoke cigarettes in a car with a child? 

newmom

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2007, 10:05:55 AM »
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2007, 10:25:02 AM »
Because restaraunt is a public place and home is private. What I do in my car is my business unless I am breaking a law. Did you know there was an old blue law in the state of ct that it was against the law to drink a beverage without a straw.

That is where you are wrong, when driving on roads you do not own them the government does It is considered a privelage to be allowed to drive, if they did not create laws we may have new moms out on the roads with loaded shotguns, puffin on ciggs while watching days of our lives on her flat panel, screamin at the baby in the back.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

O.K.  That's the preamble, which doesn't create/confer any rights.  Next?   :)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »
That is where you are wrong, when driving on roads you do not own them the government does It is considered a privelage to be allowed to drive, if they did not create laws we may have new moms out on the roads with loaded shotguns, puffin on ciggs while watching days of our lives on her flat panel, screamin at the baby in the back.

The right to travel and move about freely is absolutely a right, going back to English common law.

newmom

« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »

never said I own the road, and further more I don't think tv's or dvd players and turned on every second is proper parenting in my opinion, but that is up to the parent. Even if I did travel with a gun, shotgun or riffle I would'nt carry it loaded, don't have a concealment permit just a gun permit is all I have. When I have gone target practice, carry the gun in the trunk and ammo in the glove compartment.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »
They should invent a helmet that smokers can put on in cars or other public places.  You have to sit there in your own smoke/stink.  Just a big bubble head.  You sit in your own smoke and maybe a little motor sucks it up.  That way, only you haev to tolerate the smoke.

Would smokers support this?  No.  Cause they enjoy letting their unsavory byproduct escape into the air so the nostrils of others can absorb the impact.

canadaphiliac

• Getbig III
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2007, 12:31:01 PM »
Why not quit smoking if for nothing more than to put the money you were spending on cigarettes in maybe a bank account for you child's future? A couple years of interest with continuous deposits and that'd be a pretty penny.

newmom

« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2007, 12:37:38 PM »
I agree 240. Most would'nt use that helmut. I don't think smokers should be allowed to stand in front of buildings puffing, not fair to non-smokers as well..

and you are right but she has a bank account already. I did'nt say I was not going to quit but it's not an easy thing to do.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2007, 01:26:43 PM »
wasn't saying that you thought you owned the road but people forget that driving is a privelage not a right. Breathing clean air shouldn't be a privelage but a natural born right...I wish that 52% of america was pro clean air, when I was younger. It sometimes chokes me up just seeing a person in their car covered in smoke.

Ozzy

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2007, 02:05:08 PM »
If you think you're breathing clean air right now, you need a reality check.

A dozen other substances, from Green Tea to blueberries have been shown to do the same thing.  But if your heart is really set on using nicotine to prevent Alzheimers, there are 4 or 5 different ways to administer it that don't involve fuccking up my air with your smoke (not to mention fuccking up your own lungs).

I just posted that in response to your "Smoking has no benefits" comment, just to be a smartass. :)

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »
I heard a story about a town in bangor, Maine and new jersey also trying..

Now everyone keep an open mind (I know I will get trashed for it)

Smoking in cars with children present. Now, I don't believe a parent should smoke in a car or in the house with children present but that is the parents choice. I really feel strongly, the gov't is infringing on our constitutional rights. Anyone that does smoke in front of children (i.e. in the car with them in it is just a dumbass). Yes I do smoke and no not around jacks. I wont let her see me doing it. What can I say..IM an NRA member and believe the right to bear arms..

I am confused.  If you don't let your child see you smoke, do you think she doesn't know you are a smoker?

For non smokers, we can smell the smoke in your hair, clothes, breath, body, etc.

You may think that you don't smell like smoke, trust me, you do.
Sandra

newmom

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
I did'nt say I don't smell like smoke ms. sandra, I did'nt say I was the perfect parent (of course I'm not). It's a gross habit thats hard to break. For non-smokers I guess it's hard to understand. Thanks for the advice sandra..it is dully noted

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:07 PM »
Why won't you let her see you smoke? Maybe she's not old enough but it would be good for her to see you, and then see you quit. When she gets older she will know that it can be done. But Ican also see how you dont want kids to see that your smoking then think it's ok.

newmom

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »
well she is only 17months but soon enough she will know..she just does'nt need to see it. I don't know why people are making a big deal because I don't let her see me. And for those that have asked  (not that how much I smoke is relavent) but I will answer about 6-7 a day, sometimes lower because it's to damn cold outside.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2007, 08:36:58 AM »
well she is only 17months but soon enough she will know..she just does'nt need to see it. I don't know why people are making a big deal because I don't let her see me. And for those that have asked  (not that how much I smoke is relavent) but I will answer about 6-7 a day, sometimes lower because it's to damn cold outside.

I have been around smokers all life.  Quitting is very hard.  I wish you the best of luck when you do it again.
Sandra