Author Topic: McNabb leaving the Eagles?  (Read 7859 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
McNabb leaving the Eagles?
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2739967

Will Jeff Garcia be back in Philadelphia next season? More importantly, does Donovan McNabb want to be back?

Citing people close to the injured star quarterback, The Trenton Times reported Tuesday that McNabb is unhappy with several things that have happened with the Eagles since his season ended with a torn ACL in his right knee.

Some of McNabb's reported gripes:

• McNabb reportedly is unhappy that Eagles coach Andy Reid didn't allow him to travel with the team to New Orleans for the team's playoff game against the Saints. The Eagles have a rule that players on injured reserve don't travel with the team.

• McNabb also reportedly might be getting the feeling that some with the Eagles might prefer Garcia as the team's starting quarterback after Garcia led Philadelphia to the playoffs and a postseason victory after McNabb's injury.

• And McNabb also reportedly isn't happy with how his mother has been portrayed in the media and by Eagles fans for comments on her blog on his Web site. She wrote that watching the Eagles win without McNabb was "bittersweet."

Garcia is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March. One former teammate told the newspaper that he doesn't envision Garcia returning to the Eagles as a backup.

"I know Jeff and I know how he is," the unnamed former teammate told The Times. "After the way he played -- what was he, 6-1? -- and then he won a playoff game. He's not going to be happy being a backup again. He's way too much of a competitor for that. He should be going to the Pro Bowl the way he played. He knows that. Now, you want him to be a backup, and get paid like a backup. That's not going to happen."

Last week, Reid canceled a news conference scheduled for McNabb because he wanted him to concentrate on his rehab.

McNabb hasn't spoken at length to reporters since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on Nov. 19.

"He's been working like crazy right now and I don't want anything distracting him," Reid said on WIP-AM last week. "I want him focused in on taking care of his knee, and that's what he's doing. He came out [Thursday] and ran in the pool for the first time and he didn't have a limp when he ran in there. Those are all positive things."

During the season, the Eagles said McNabb had decided not to speak to the media after undergoing surgery because he did not want to be a distraction to the team. Although the 30-year-old quarterback did a couple of brief television interviews, his situation was not discussed in any sort of depth.

"I saw nothing that would be beneficial for him to stand up there," Reid told WIP-AM last week. "I'm the head coach and I get to make those decisions."

Reid said last week that, provided McNabb is healthy, there will be no quarterback controversy at the start of next season.

"It's Donovan," Reid told WIP-AM. "I think Jeff [Garcia] has told you that and I've told you that before. I don't think there's any question. It's a matter of Donovan just takes care of business now."

The Eagles' rollercoaster of a season ended with a gut-wrenching 27-24 loss to the New Orleans Saints in an NFC second-round playoff game, leaving Reid, his staff and players to ponder so many near-misses and what-ifs.

Philadelphia's season began with so much promise after a 4-1 start. McNabb was back to playing at an MVP level after Terrell Owens and a sports hernia disrupted his 2005 season, and the rest of the team hopped on his broad shoulders.

Then came a three-game losing streak, including a last-second loss on a 62-yard field goal by Tampa Bay's Matt Bryant. It seemed to get only worse when McNabb tore a knee ligament in Week 11. Hardly anyone expected much from the Eagles after a 24-point defeat at Indianapolis a week later left them at 5-6.

But Garcia rallied his teammates to five straight wins, the NFC East title for the fifth time in six years, and an 11-7 finish.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I think he's headed elsewhere.
Squishy face retard

body88

Re: McNabb leaving the Eagles?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »
Wonder how he would fit in Miami.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »

McNabb to Oakland

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »
McNabb to Oakland
That would make the team like 97% black.  Kind of ironic considering Oakland's makeup.  I think with a lack of running game there, he could be a big factor.  Bring Walter to the Eagles.  Learn from Garcia and take over.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 12:57:17 PM »
I'll be shocked if he leaves Philly.  I don't see it.  He is a stud when healthy.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »
I'll be shocked if he leaves Philly.  I don't see it.  He is a stud when healthy.

Ok then, give Garcia to Oakland and I'm willing to bet he could turn them into a 5-win team almost immediately. 

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft the big black QB from LSU.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:10 PM »
Ok then, give Garcia to Oakland and I'm willing to bet he could turn them into a 5-win team almost immediately. 

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft the big black QB from LSU.

Not sure if Garcia would fit in Oakland.  I guess it depends on what kind of offense Kiffin installs.  Garcia is a west coast offense QB and it seems like USC ran more of a vertical offense (but I didn't watch them much)?

You'd like to see Oakland draft the big black QB from LSU as opposed to the big white QB from Notre Dame?   :D  I think Russell has way more upside than Quinn. 

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:56 PM »
McNabbs record while playing versus Garcia's record while playing.  Says enough.
Get lost McNabb, you're a bum.  And your mom is psychotic.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »
Not sure if Garcia would fit in Oakland.  I guess it depends on what kind of offense Kiffin installs.  Garcia is a west coast offense QB and it seems like USC ran more of a vertical offense (but I didn't watch them much)?

You'd like to see Oakland draft the big black QB from LSU as opposed to the big white QB from Notre Dame?   :D  I think Russell has way more upside than Quinn. 

hahahaha, are you crazy? Brady's been running an NFL offense for 2 years now and excelled at it. He's more than ready for the NFL and has all the mechanics to be a great QB. Russell's got a cannon and can move a little. He's disappeared at times in his career, but I suppose Quinn has too.  >:(

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »

Quinn will go farther.  Teams with a big black running QB have done shit in terms of winning championships.  Brady, Rothlisberger, Warner, Favre, Aikman, etc.  I rest my case.
Squishy face retard

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »
Lets face it, Rush Limbaugh was right all along.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 01:56:31 PM »
In terms of everything OL, TE, QB, P and K.  White dudes have a lock.  In terms of everything else, black guys are dominant.  That is a quote from a friend who is OL for an AFC team.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 01:57:35 PM »
McNabbs record while playing versus Garcia's record while playing.  Says enough.
Get lost McNabb, you're a bum.  And your mom is psychotic.

Let's see, McNabb has been the Philly QB since 1999.  He led his team to the playoffs, with lousy WRs, in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 (when he had T.O.), which included three appearances in the NFC Championship game and a Super Bowl appearance.  He has thrown for 22,080 yards and 152 TDs v. 72 INTs, ran for 2,726 yards and 24 TDs.  Garcia started 6 games and made one playoff appearance.  You're right.  That says enough.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »
hahahaha, are you crazy? Brady's been running an NFL offense for 2 years now and excelled at it. He's more than ready for the NFL and has all the mechanics to be a great QB. Russell's got a cannon and can move a little. He's disappeared at times in his career, but I suppose Quinn has too.  >:(

We're talking upside.  I'll take the 6'6" 260-70 QB with a cannon for an arm over Quinn.  Russell has one of the strongest arms I've ever seen on a college QB.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
Quinn will go farther.  Teams with a big black running QB have done shit in terms of winning championships.  Brady, Rothlisberger, Warner, Favre, Aikman, etc.  I rest my case.

We'll see.  I like Russell's upside much better.  He's a monster. 

And Russell isn't a running QB.  He didn't run much at all this year.  In fact, he ran for his first TD of the year in the bowl game. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 02:06:56 PM »
McNabb to Oakland

Donovan isn't that dumb.  Until they shore up that offensive line, any QB at Oakland will spend a lot of time on their back. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »
In terms of everything OL, TE, QB, P and K.  White dudes have a lock.  In terms of everything else, black guys are dominant.  That is a quote from a friend who is OL for an AFC team.

What??  No race has a lock on OL, TE, and QB.  That's absurd.  There are great white and black players on the O-line.  The best TE in football is Hispanic (Gonzo).  Probably the second best TE is black (Crumpler).  Right up there is a couple white guys (Shockey and Heap).  QBs McNabb, Vick, C-Pep, McNair, Leftwich, that kid with the Skins (Campbell?) have all had great success.  They're black.  But at the end of the day, it ain't about race.  Great players come from all ethnic backgrounds.  

On on a completely unrelated note, who the heck names their kid Algenon?!?!   :-\  (Alge Crumpler)

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 02:14:52 PM »
What??  No race has a lock on OL, TE, and QB.  That's absurd.  There are great white and black players on the O-line.  The best TE in football is Hispanic (Gonzo).  Probably the second best TE is black (Crumpler).  Right up there is a couple white guys (Shockey and Heap).  QBs McNabb, Vick, C-Pep, McNair, Leftwich, that kid with the Skins (Campbell?) have all had great success.  They're black.  But at the end of the day, it ain't about race.  Great players come from all ethnic backgrounds. 

On on a completely unrelated note, who the heck names their kid Algenon?!?!   :-\  (Alge Crumpler)
Hahaha.  He had the ghetto version of Flowers for Algernon.  I think QB is historically better with whites, just my take.  Heap is better than Crumpler IMO, but I stand corrected on Gonzo.  OL is more white and DL is mroe black. 

Russell runs, maybe not as much as Chunky Soup, but he runs.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »
Hahaha.  He had the ghetto version of Flowers for Algernon.  I think QB is historically better with whites, just my take.  Heap is better than Crumpler IMO, but I stand corrected on Gonzo.  OL is more white and DL is mroe black. 

Russell runs, maybe not as much as Chunky Soup, but he runs.

QB has been historically better with whites because they were the only ones allowed to play QB.  Not so anymore.  No race has a monopoly on any position (talent wise) IMO.  There are some positions where you find proportionally more blacks than whites, or vice versa, but every ethnic group has talented players.  I've never done any kind of position-by-position race-based analysis, and don't plan too.   :)

Russell runs some.  So does Favre.  So does Roethlisberger.  But Russell is no Vick or C-Pep (pre injury).   

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 02:28:05 PM »
QB has been historically better with whites because they were the only ones allowed to play QB.  Not so anymore.  No race has a monopoly on any position (talent wise) IMO.  There are some positions where you find proportionally more blacks than whites, or vice versa, but every ethnic group has talented players.  I've never done any kind of position-by-position race-based analysis, and don't plan too.   :)

Russell runs some.  So does Favre.  So does Roethlisberger.  But Russell is no Vick or C-Pep (pre injury).   
I think Russell is good.  I think Smith from OU was overrated.  When his main target went out, he was nothing.  Personally, I think some guys are better physically and mentally for certain positions.  Think about DL.  A big strong black guy, who is faster than his white counterpart, is gonna bull rush or sack better than his white counterpart. 
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »
I think Russell is good.  I think Smith from OU was overrated.  When his main target went out, he was nothing.  Personally, I think some guys are better physically and mentally for certain positions.  Think about DL.  A big strong black guy, who is faster than his white counterpart, is gonna bull rush or sack better than his white counterpart. 

I didn't see much of Smith, but he sure looked awful against Florida.

I've seen great players on the D-Line of all ethnic backgrounds.  This year at UH, we had a Hawaiian DE and Samoan DE (both of whom will be drafted) and a Samoan NT (he's a junior).  Two years ago, we had a stud DE who was WAC defensive player of the year was drafted by the Titans in the second round (Travis LaBoy).  He might have been the fastest player on our D (when Leonard Peters was hurt).  White guy.  The fastest guy on our team this year was a black kid (Malcolm Lane).  Second fastest player was Polynesian (Leonard Peters). 

I guess if you're trying to say some ethnic groups are genetically better (or worse) at some positions than others, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Certainly no scientific proof of that. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »
I don't think he's headed anywhere.  He's the face of the franchise without a suitable replacement in sight.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
I didn't see much of Smith, but he sure looked awful against Florida.

I've seen great players on the D-Line of all ethnic backgrounds.  This year at UH, we had a Hawaiian DE and Samoan DE (both of whom will be drafted) and a Samoan NT (he's a junior).  Two years ago, we had a stud DE who was WAC defensive player of the year was drafted by the Titans in the second round (Travis LaBoy).  He might have been the fastest player on our D (when Leonard Peters was hurt).  White guy.  The fastest guy on our team this year was a black kid (Malcolm Lane).  Second fastest player was Polynesian (Leonard Peters). 

I guess if you're trying to say some ethnic groups are genetically better (or worse) at some positions than others, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Certainly no scientific proof of that. 

I'm saying that some of the skills for certain positions are mostly (not always) better suited for certain people, dunno if you agree or not.  I believe this guy since he and his brother are pros and both OL.  I think Samoans are the shit when it comes to big strong guys.  You def got me there.  
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
I'm saying that some of the skills for certain positions are mostly (not always) better suited for certain people, dunno if you agree or not.  I believe this guy since he and his brother are pros and both OL.  I think Samoans are the shit when it comes to big strong guys.  You def got me there.  

I absolutely agree that certain positions require certain mental and physical characteristics.  For example, fullbacks are the smartest, strongest studs on any football team.   ;D  But I don't agree that any ethnic group has an advantage when it comes to the physical and mental requirements of any position.  We had a guy at UH (Timmy Chang) who was Chinese.  All-time NCAA passing leader.  Has all the physical tools needed to play in the NFL, but I'm not sure he has what it takes between the ears (much as it pains me to say that).  Is that because he's Chinese?  No. 

And why do you have to believe what someone tells you.  Believe your own eyes man.   :)  You're obviously a fan of the game too.

There are some insanely strong Samoans.  One of the strongest players in the NFL, former UH and current Niners DT Isaac Sopoaga, is Samoan.  I also know some very weak ones.  One of my friends is married to a skinny Samoan lady.  One of my friends is married to a "big boned" Samoan lady.   :)  They come in all shapes and sizes. 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
I absolutely think that in the modern game, black men dominate defensive positions with a few standouts that are white and Samoan.  The guy from the Seahawks, his name escapes me at the moment, Urlacher, Lynch.  Besides some guys like those, black guys outclass other NFL players.  Their speed and strength are something others have to compensate for.  I def think Samoans are starting to get their due dilegence as the get more exposure.  Statistically the slower white guys will be on OL to push the DL away from QB, FB and RB and not do as much running.  FB is a tough position, alot of pounding with little respect.  Alstott is maybe the one exception in the media, when he played that is. 

I think that as a general rule certain guys fit the bill, that isn't to say that guys can't break the trend.  On that note we agree. ;D
Squishy face retard